• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

willow ve

Anyone else not able to connect to Destiny servers (on Xbox One)?

Stupid "We're having trouble connecting to Xbox" meanwhile my dashboard is still filled with ads and friendlist notifications...

WipedOut

Anyone else not able to connect to Destiny servers (on Xbox One)?

Stupid "We're having trouble connecting to Xbox" meanwhile my dashboard is still filled with ads and friendlist notifications...
I can't start any of my digital games. I think the servers are getting hammered with all the 360 downloads

I don't think Destiny needs to be super serious and balanced. I am rather happy that Destiny is just silly fun. Really tired of every shooter trying to be esports.
That's absolutely not what I'm saying. Nothing I mentioned is to make destiny "super serious" and to appeal to esports. Why do you think balancing a weapon sandbox makes the game less fun? Why does that make it too serious and over competitive? I get it, you want to feel really powerful and do well in games. It's more fun when you play well and win. That's fine for PvE; no one should care that we can easily beat the crap out of some programmed aliens. I start to care when people can beat me in PvP with no effort. Sure, I can do the same because the sniper aims for me. Sure, it's really satisfying to get sniper kills. The problem is the other side: you feel really good getting a kill, while another human player feels absolutely cheated because despite his best effort, your sniper rifle fucking locks on. As anecdotal evidence, I got headshot sniped a couple of days ago in the middle of shade step. Seriously what the fuck. If I'm going to die to a one hit kill weapon in this game, I at least want the other player to have to try. I want them to actually have to try to beat me.

Trakan

Yes, let's nerf more weapons, that'll solve everything!

The weapons still have super quick kill times, it's just not TLW two frames kill times anymore.

I won't begin to start becoming content with balance in PvP until special weapons are curbed, no one should be able to run around with snipers and shotguns all game long. If you are going to allow them to run around all match with them, then make them harder to use, like adding sway on snipers and having snipers get knocked out of ADS whenever they get shot.

Spawning with sniper ammo and not getting knocked out of ADS when shot were mindblowing when I played the beta. I can't believe it hasn't changed.

SheHateMe

Me, T-44, and Dorssum need 3 more vets for oryx cm tonight around 9:30/45 eastern tonight.

You keep running this while I'm at work. We'll never team up.
Kappa.

I'm not too concerned about getting the Oryx CM done. I'm 314 without a ToM or ever officially running HM at all. I got the first two CM's done on the Saturday nights of their respective weeks; it'll probably be the same for Oryx as well.

I do wonder how well I'd hold up for the HM Oryx fight, however... with a 312 Reflection Sum Adept as my highest primary (and a TON of 310 exotics and legendaries) and a 309 1KYS, (with a 312 Raid LMG and a 320 Raid RL) I feel like I'd be holding people back.

Meh. We'll see.

E92 M3

That's absolutely not what I'm saying. Nothing I mentioned is to make destiny "super serious" and to appeal to esports. Why do you think balancing a weapon sandbox makes the game less fun? Why does that make it too serious and over competitive? I get it, you want to feel really powerful and do well in games. It's more fun when you play well and win. That's fine for PvE; no one should care that we can easily beat the crap out of some programmed aliens. I start to care when people can beat me in PvP with no effort. Sure, I can do the same because the sniper aims for me. Sure, it's really satisfying to get sniper kills. The problem is the other side: you feel really good getting a kill, while another human player feels absolutely cheated because despite his best effort, your sniper rifle fucking locks on. As anecdotal evidence, I got headshot sniped a couple of days ago in the middle of shade step. Seriously what the fuck. If I'm going to die to a one hit kill weapon in this game, I at least want the other player to have to try. I want them to actually have to try to beat me.

9 of 10 people will not be sniping like Krafty or other greats. It's grossly overstated and just becomes a silly narrative. Furthermore, I've gotten killed by thorn and shotguns many times. Just shrugged it off. Halo 5 exists for super serious players that want to feel good killing. Destiny is unique and I think it's in a good place right now.

As far as I know, Trials of Osiris is the most fun mode and still very competitive in its own way.

Most likely you and I agree on a fundamental level.

The weapons still have super quick kill times, it's just not TLW two frames kill times anymore.

Spawning with sniper ammo and not getting knocked out of ADS when shot were mindblowing when I played the beta. I can't believe it hasn't changed.

Destiny isn't Halo, though. Bungie is smart by making the PVP feel unique.

GhaleonEB

Guessing it will be the last one of the year, so they may want to pack it a bit; IIRC Deej said they'd talk about the next IB rewards in the SLR stream, and that's not until the 29th.

Edit: one minute later, I'm so totally wrong. :lol

Namikaze1

IB_Sony_Gear.jpg

PS exclusive IB gear

Namikaze1

PS Exclusive IB warlock helmet looks terrible.

Honestly, I prefer the designs of the non-exclusive helmets more.

The exclusive class items on the other hand look great.

IB_Sony_Gear.jpg

PS exclusive IB gear

Love it! I'm glad it's happening later in the month, as I have a few weeks off, so I'll be devoting a bunch of time, as usual. I'm really looking forward to the Auto Rifle, as I've been really happy with the Iron Banner gear, but I was kind of hoping that the sniper rifle would be the second weapon, instead of the shotgun.

Oh, well! This will complete my Iron Banner set and give me a reason to spend more time in Destiny.

PS Exclusive IB warlock helmet looks terrible.

Honestly, I prefer the designs of the non-exclusive helmets more.

The exclusive class items on the other hand look great.

why do you hate being sanic

the warlock helmet will let me live out my sanic fantasies, now I can gain that extra speed boost with their jump thanks to #gottagofast

maomaoIYP

The only piece of the exclusive gear that looks good to me is the hunter helm. I can barely tell the difference between the regular and exclusive Titan helm.

9 of 10 people will not be sniping like Krafty or other greats. It's grossly overstated and just becomes a silly narrative. Furthermore, I've gotten killed by thorn and shotguns many times. Just shrugged it off. Halo 5 exists for super serious players that want to feel good killing. Destiny is unique and I think it's in a good place right now.

As far as I know, Trials of Osiris is the most fun mode and still very competitive in its own way.

Most likely you and I agree on a fundamental level.

Destiny isn't Halo, though. Bungie is smart by making the PVP feel unique.
Again, no one is saying the state of the sniper rifles is turning players into top level players. Krafty will always be better, no matter the change. He's a highly skilled player. don't use the top percentile of the skill distribution as a comparison to how this would affect the average player. Hell, watch crafty stream. He constantly comments how stupidly broken the 1000 yard stare is, giving him kills he has no business making.

Yes, Destiny is fun in its own way. It is also incredibly frustrating to deal with the crap in pvp until it's fixed. Hammer of Sol was amazingly fun for people playing sunbreaker before it was addressed. It wasn't very fun for everyone else in the game. Again, your fun is often at the expense of the fun of others. That's why pvp modes actually need to be balanced.

Also, stop using halo as a comparison for extremely competitive play. Your using "this isn't halo" in the same why people would use "this isn't CoD", albeit for criticism of competitively focused multiplayer instead of purely casual.

stay gold

The Bones of Eao are so much fun, I might have to do the unthinkable and give up Graviton Forfeit on my Nightstalker! Rift especially is such a laugh with them.

Glad IB is returning to control, Clash was way too messy.

So what do you guys think of a competitve (not counting trials, or maybe turning this into trials?) playlist were people have set guns/abilities they can use so its actually slightly balanced? Just thinking ahead to Destiny 2 and sweet 60fps (hopefully?) being ruined by bad MP.

So what do you guys think of a competitve (not counting trials, or maybe turning this into trials?) playlist were people have set guns/abilities they can use so its actually slightly balanced? Just thinking ahead to Destiny 2 and sweet 60fps (hopefully?) being ruined by bad MP.

Reminds me of smogon for pokémon. It could work, but could it really co-exist with Trials? I'm not sure.

It's tough because that foes against the loot aspect of the game. As much as I'd like Destiny to be more competitively balanced I think a mode like that would make it a different game. As for 60fps I wouldn't hold your breath. Bungie has historically chose 30fps for their games. As long as it's solid like it is right now I won't be disappointed, but I would definitely prefer 60.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom