• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Frame

Transfusion could use some sort of buff, because at the moment it's extremely situational. Kills start health regen isn't a very good perk on a melee IMO, but your ideas sound good on paper.

Range really needs to be the primary focus if they're going to try and rebalance Strikers and Defenders. Not sure how they'll affect Defenders though, might reduce the bonuses from BoL and WoL?

Yeah, I'm really curious to see what they have in mind. While I love the Defender, my heart is for the Striker, so I'll be paying particular attention to how it'll get tweaked.

My fear is that any upcoming changes may inadvertently (or purposely) affect things like Titan skating and Shoulder Charge-Lift boosting. I bet those are things Bungie didn't really anticipate when they designed the class, but I could be wrong. Nobody was skating until AEGabriel if I'm not mistaken. If they ever broke or affected those 2 things it'd be the biggest blow to my desire to keep playing.

Otherwise the Striker seems like both one the least popular and worst performing class in competitive environments. The Striker is almost consistently at the bottom in terms of KDR and W/L % from a lot of the charts I've seen in the past. I only foresee buffs to the Striker, if not for PvE more than PvP though since I'm sure the % to Strikers in things like Raids and Strikes is like 1.5%.

qi6jOd4.gif

Jabronium

Was there anything in the update about if the fragments would be limited to one mode or another (hard or normal)? Or is that going to be another "wait and see" feature?

E92 M3

Yeah, I'm really curious to see what they have in mind. While I love the Defender, my heart is for the Striker, so I'll be paying particular attention to how it'll get tweaked.

My fear is that any upcoming changes may inadvertently (or purposely) affect things like Titan skating and Shoulder Charge-Lift boosting. I bet those are things Bungie didn't really anticipate when they designed the class, but I could be wrong. Nobody was skating until AEGabriel if I'm not mistaken. If they ever broke or affected those 2 things it'd be the biggest blow to my desire to keep playing.

Otherwise the Striker seems like both one the least popular and worst performing class in competitive environments. The Striker is almost consistently at the bottom in terms of KDR and W/L % from a lot of the charts I've seen in the past. I only foresee buffs to the Striker, if not for PvE more than PvP though since I'm sure the % to Strikers in things like Raids and Strikes is like 1.5%.

If they change fun things like that, then it would be true definition of "no fun allowed."

Was there anything in the update about if the fragments would be limited to one mode or another (hard or normal)? Or is that going to be another "wait and see" feature?

Wait and see. I'd guess you could get them from either since you can do challenge mode on either. Maybe the emblems will be a bonus reward for HM Challenge clear, who knows. All speculation right now.

RE: Sisters cycles, I would say that the relic dictates the cycle. I hear people say 1 cycle, but the popular strategy is a two cycle, two relics = two DPS cycles = 2 cycles.

Jinjo

I was trying to think of a "dumbest DGAF debates" list but my brain is currently liquified. I know there are a bunch more.

Lol, I know. This one is way up there though haha.

So guys, one question. Hunters have the Psion flyers cloaks, Titans have the Alak Hul helmet. What about warlocks?

Omnigul bond. Which isn't in the nightfall rotation, so it's really tough to get. It also doesn't look great.

Uhhhm, the helmet you get from defeating Saber? That one is fucking awesome. Also, the gauntlets from Restorative Mind (like the gauntlets Titan get from the Cabal Bros). Hunters mainly get cloaks for some reason.

Ok. So, the sisters are a singular boss fight. However, within this boss fight there are 2 entities that compromise the whole of the fight, The 1st sister and the 2nd sister. In order to complete the boss fight, you have to go through both entities-Or as we call them in an MMO like WoW, a phase.

So let's recap. Boss fight=2 sisters. 2 sisters=2 entities=2 phases. You can cut down each phase to even more minute details, but these 2 phases compromise the whole fight. In picture form-

This is the fight in abstract form, in picture form. The boss, being the black circle, encompasses both sisters, and the sisters are two parts(Or phases) of the boss fight. So the natural progression of this fight, is always start on the 1st sister, as shown here with a dash through her-

As you can see, the red line represents doing the process for the 1st sister, which does not complete the fight that is the 'boss'. It is simply a phase, a part of the whole boss fight. This is why it cannot be a cycle-Because it hasn't gone through the 2nd phase of the fight. This is how one cycle would appear if you DIDN'T kill any of the sisters, represented in the orange line.

As you can see, here the phases are repeated and you begin anew at the first sister. This is the start of the 2nd cycle, the first cycle through both sisters being completed. As we do not treat both phases as 1 (Nor the sisters as one object), then a cycle is naturally all that encompasses the boss fight-In this case being both sisters. The sisters is a simplistic fight, so it's easy to show.

That's why it's one cycle to deal with both sisters during each phase and not repeating them-

Both phases as a whole represent the complete cycle of the boss fight. In order to repeat the boss fight, you have to repeat the 1st phase again(Being the first sister.) Also just because the action of both phases is completed the same(Dunking the relic) does not make it a cycle, not in terms of the boss fight

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Ok. So, the sisters are a singular boss fight. However, within this boss fight there are 2 entities that compromise the whole of the fight, The 1st sister and the 2nd sister. In order to complete the boss fight, you have to go through both entities-Or as we call them in an MMO like WoW, a phase.

So let's recap. Boss fight=2 sisters. 2 sisters=2 entities=2 phases. You can cut down each phase to even more minute details, but these 2 phases compromise the whole fight. In picture form-

This is the fight in abstract form, in picture form. The boss, being the black circle, encompasses both sisters, and the sisters are two parts(Or phases) of the boss fight. So the natural progression of this fight, is always start on the 1st sister, as shown here with a dash through her-

As you can see, the red line represents doing the process for the 1st sister, which does not complete the fight that is the 'boss'. It is simply a phase, a part of the whole boss fight. This is why it cannot be a cycle-Because it hasn't gone through the 2nd phase of the fight. This is how one cycle would appear if you DIDN'T kill any of the sisters, represented in the orange line.

As you can see, here the phases are repeated and you begin anew at the first sister. This is the start of the 2nd cycle, the first cycle through both sisters being completed. As we do not treat both phases as 1 (Nor the sisters as one object), then a cycle is naturally all that encompasses the boss fight-In this case being both sisters. The sisters is a simplistic fight, so it's easy to show.

That's why it's one cycle to deal with both sisters during each phase and not repeating them-

Both phases as a whole represent the complete cycle of the boss fight. In order to repeat the boss fight, you have to repeat the 1st phase again(Being the first sister.)

LOOOOL jesus 10/10 for effort

flkraven

I've got my devouring maw at 307. Love that helmet.

1 cycle = 1 full rotation of the moon around the earth. Challenge mode will take 27 days to complete.

We really have run out of stuff to talk about! Plz Luke.

Gotta agree with Driz on this, sorry Breezy. The fact that both bosses do not share a health pool is the main reason why each damage phase is considered an individual 'phase' because though each boss is required to be killed they are individuals with different abilities. Comparing it to Wow there are two types of duo boss fights, one where they share health and one where they don't. Daughters is an example of the second and is very similar to the Fallen Protectors in Seige of Orgrimmar. Each boss was dealt with one at a time and whenever a new boss was activated and subsequently targeted it is considered a new phase.

1. Set up for phase.
2. Complete running and damaging daughter phase.
3. Platforms reset and all adds killed by song.
4. Phase two begins as room is reset and you are targeting a different boss, which has also soft enraged as a result of you killing boss 1.

Example of different kinds of dual boss fights for those interested.

http://www.icy-veins.com/wow/the-fallen-protectors-strategy-guide-normal-heroic

http://www.icy-veins.com/wow/will-of-the-emperor-strategy-guide-normal-heroic

Jinjo

Both phases as a whole represent the complete cycle of the boss fight. In order to repeat the boss fight, you have to repeat the 1st phase again(Being the first sister.)

Holy shit. *slow clap emote*

Semantics dude.

killing one sister is one cycle

SnakeEyes

Banned
It all looks like it's meant for feeding activision.
As it stands, this is all it looks like. Discussions with others over the last few days have drawn us all to the same conclusion: the Destiny player base numbers have either plateaued or dropped, and this is simply a way to try and get more money out of the remaining people who are still playing. Trying to find new players now is going to be a very hard task indeed, as anyone who would want to play already is, and trying to convince people to come back after buying the vanilla game, or people who have drawn their own negative conclusions about the game, is just not going to happen.

We really have run out of stuff to talk about! Plz Luke.

Gotta agree with Driz on this, sorry Breezy. The fact that both bosses do not share a health pool is the main reason why each damage phase is considered an individual 'phase' because though each boss is required to be killed they are individuals with different abilities. Comparing it to Wow there are two types of duo boss fights, one where they share health and one where they don't. Daughters is an example of the second and is very similar to the Fallen Protectors in Seige of Orgrimmar. Each boss was dealt with one at a time and whenever a new boss was activated and subsequently targeted it is considered a new phase.

1. Set up for phase.
2. Complete running and damaging daughter phase.
3. Platforms reset and all adds killed by song.
4. Phase two begins as room is reset and you are targeting a different boss, which has also soft enraged as a result of you killing boss 1.

Example of different kinds of dual boss fights for those interested.

http://www.icy-veins.com/wow/the-fallen-protectors-strategy-guide-normal-heroic

http://www.icy-veins.com/wow/will-of-the-emperor-strategy-guide-normal-heroic

The difference being is that you can divide those boss fights into phases and cycles, though. Each of those protectors had a special move they would do at a certain % of health, so since most groups did them in order, completing each activation of the protectors special move would count as a cycle, and then it would be repeated again to the same effect. That is a cycle within the boss, since it requires repeated discourse of the same actions. In this case-

Tank bosses
Activate 1st Bosses ability
Continue tanking Bosses
Activate 2nd Bosses Ability
Continue Tanking Bosses
Activate 3rd Bosses ability
Repeat

In this case, a cycle would be getting all 3 bosses to activate their special ability and then repeating that cycle again. That is a cycle.

For the sisters however, the soft enrage doesn't make one sister a cycle, it simply is a different phase that forces you to restart over again, abruptly ending the cycle prematurely. If you do each sister multiple times, then you have surpassed one cycle into another, like the Protector fight you linked. But if you kill both sisters within their respective phases, then that is one cycle.(Which the protectors you cannot, you have to trigger their abilities multiple times, repeating the phases..)

Holy shit. *slow clap emote*

Semantics dude.

killing one sister is one cycle

Only if you treat both sisters at the same object. If you could start on any sister, and dunk any sister at any time youw anted, that would be a cycle since it's repeating the same phase over and over again. However BECAUSE it forces you to start on one sister, and FORCES you to continue on the 2nd sister, then that means there are phases THAT HAVE TO be followed.

This is the sisters fight, in text form-

Boss-Sisters
1st Phase-1st Sister
2nd Phase-2nd sister
Repeat 1st Phase if 1st sister isn't dead..

...meaning that a cycle was completed. This is not the 3rd phase, this is the 1st phase repeated since the sister is in the same position and since that is how the fight is forced upon you-You cannot choose to kill any sister, meaning that the phases would essentially be the same.

Because the game forces you to do it in a specific order, that means each sister is a separate, singular phase, not a repeating phase. If it allowed you to choose which witch to dunk, then it would be 1 phase repeated multiple times. But it's not.

flkraven

Guys, guys, I have another one:

Is oryx at the front or the back of the room? Go!

He's at the back

Oryx is the band you pay money to see. The daughters stamp your ticket and you go watch the show, where Oryx standing
at the front of the room.

I got this game at launch, played to level cap and quit almost immediately

I bought taken king at best buy since it was on sale I i heard some of my complaints were handled, and I don't know exactly what I need to do/where to go to get started again

What do, GAF

SnakeEyes

Banned
I got this game at launch, played to level cap and quit almost immediately

I bought taken king at best buy since it was on sale I i heard some of my complaints were handled, and I don't know exactly what I need to do/where to go to get started again

What do, GAF
Quick, someone send him a Refer a Friend request!
:p

darthbob

Striker is certainly low tier for competitive PvP, and Trials, but damn do I make it work. :D

vYRL4Cc.jpg

Jinjo

The front. When you face Oryx, they're the front left and right plates/platforms :p

If you look over the area where he 'stands up' from it's overlooking what appears to be the bow of the Dreadnaught, so.... front?

Oryx is the band you pay money to see. The daughters stamp your ticket and you go watch the show, where Oryx standing
at the front of the room.

Jesus guys, I give you the answer even. :p

You enter a restaurant through the front door, you ask where the toilet is. The waiter says, it is at the back of the restaurant. Do you fucking walk back to the entrance then? No! You go to the back of the room!

We enter Oryx's lair through the front door, we ask our Ghost where Oryx is. Oryx is standing at the far side of the room, I ask you again, is he at the front or the back?

Lnkn52

You enter a restaurant through the front door, you ask where the toilet is. The waiter says, it is at the back of the restaurant? Do you fucking walk back to the entrance then? No! You go to the back of the room!

We enter Oryx's lair through the front door, we ask our Ghost where Oryx is. Oryx is standing at the far side of the room, I ask you again, is he at the front or the back?

I stay away from Public restrooms.

Dave_6

Uhhhm, the helmet you get from defeating Saber? That one is fucking awesome. Also, the gauntlets from Restorative Mind (like the gauntlets Titan get from the Cabal Bros). Hunters mainly get cloaks for some reason.

There is supposedly a Hunter helmet that drops from Phogoth but it's not in the rotation yet.

The difference being is that you can divide those boss fights into phases and cycles, though. Each of those protectors had a special move they would do at a certain % of health, so since most groups did them in order, completing each activation of the protectors special move would count as a cycle, and then it would be repeated again to the same effect. That is a cycle within the boss, since it requires repeated discourse of the same actions. In this case-

Tank bosses
Activate 1st Bosses ability
Continue tanking Bosses
Activate 2nd Bosses Ability
Continue Tanking Bosses
Activate 3rd Bosses ability
Repeat

In this case, a cycle would be getting all 3 bosses to activate their special ability and then repeating that cycle again. That is a cycle.

For the sisters however, the soft enrage doesn't make one sister a cycle, it simply is a different phase that forces you to restart over again, abruptly ending the cycle prematurely. If you do each sister multiple times, then you have surpassed one cycle into another, like the Protector fight you linked. But if you kill both sisters within their respective phases, then that is one cycle.(Which the protectors you cannot, you have to trigger their abilities multiple times, repeating the phases..)

Ohh okay, I get where you are coming from, that will teach me for reading things without coffee. So basically we are all arguing over if a cycle is a phase, which it isn't. Can we all agree that each damage period is a phase though?

I'd definitely run it with you. We still need more players though.

Probably should have told you : I'm on PSN.
I need to run VOG for the NTTE. I don't mind running Crota for the lulz also. Never run VOG before tough, so I'll need some guidance.

PSN same as gaf name. Wont be in until tomorrow morning UK time as I'm on my 7 night shift tonight.
Then 7 days off :)

You enter a restaurant through the front door, you ask where the toilet is. The waiter says, it is at the back of the restaurant. Do you fucking walk back to the entrance then? No! You go to the back of the room!

You enter the bridge of a ship from the back. I win.

SnakeEyes

Banned

Sorry, the band analogy was better :p

darthbob

I... uhh, well I don't have a rebuttal.

Suppose it depends on your point-of-view.

If you love the Striker I bet you're happy the Armamentarium is getting a Year 2 version, huh?

Lightning grenades for days.

Much <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom