• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohh okay, I get where you are coming from, that will teach me for reading things without coffee. So basically we are all arguing over if a cycle is a phase, which it isn't. Can we all agree that each damage period is a phase though?

Like I mentioned previously, each phase can be split up into more minute detail, like a WoW fight. In this case-

1st Phase is compromised of-
Get into Position
Jump on platforms in order
Kill Snipers
Retrieve Relic
Dunk Left(From entrance) witch
Damage Sister

2nd Phase starts differently-
Clear Adds
Run back to position(Adjusting if a platform holder became a runner)
Kill Snipers
Retrive Relic
Dunk Right Witch
Kill Sister

If you want to get meta, because usually it's not the same runner, and because the platform holders might change because of this fact, and because you had to take different steps after the first phase(In this case, clearing adds and starting from a different position), then that constitutes the 2nd phase as being different than the first, again rejecting the idea that both phases are the same and that each sister counts as a cycle.

Jinjo

Sorry, the band analogy was better :p

What about backstage though? That is, by definition, in the back. So the stage is, while in front of backstage, still in the back.

However you do have front-row seats. But that's from stage POV.

You enter the bridge of a ship from the back. I win.

Oryx's room is not really the bridge of the ship though?

Trick question. It's neither.

Oryx spawns on the far side of the room.

We call it Saturn and Spawn now lol.

I'm mainly just having a laugh, we had this discussion internally in our raid team and were kinda split on the matter. So in the light of the amazing discussions going on, I thought, let me throw this gem in here :p

...ok. Last post about this as well.

I never said you needed it. I said it was better, and it is.

-You said supposed benefits were "necessary for low level." I said it wasn't necessary for anyone. Either strat works fine. Low level isn't a factor.

You can't argue that you can see the Knights just as well on the bottom as on the top because it's not true. There are enough things to get in the way on the bottom that become a non-issue higher up... Also, if you can't hit the Ogres' fat heads from the Daughters platform, idk what to say.

-It is true. You have direct unobstructed straight line of sight for all 4 Ogres' crit spots, the easiest possible sight lines. I have no idea what all these "things in the way" are. Up top you can still hit the Ogres, I never claimed otherwise. But the Ogres spawning right below you are at a steep angle. Of course you can still hit them fine but the sight lines aren't as clear.

I've been in enough groups where someone has forgotten to or failed to kill their Knight one or twice that you can't always rely on people on platforms to do it.

-First off, this is a problem with execution, not the strat. Second and most importantly, the Knights all path through the middle. You have a clearer and closer line of sight for all 4 Knights from the center. People missing Knights is an advantage for center, not daughters.

I've also experienced a Titan bubble being put down in the middle before the Ogres spawn and still being there after Oryx has flinched. No chance of it getting in the way up on the Daughter platform. Also the floaters don't even have to jump down until the bombs are about to go off. Idk how you think it's confusing because there's too much manoeuvring or whatever.

-I never said it was confusing. I said it was unnecessary repositioning because it is. That bubble must have been put up late, not exactly hard to avoid. Besides the bubble doesn't need to despawn until after the stagger, when you can clear out adds before detonating. Even if the bubble was magically still there you can shift the Aura. Plus center bubbles will give the team BoL and WoL to help with the stagger, clearing adds, killing the Vessel, the last Ogre, the last Knight etc. Especially useful if someone has died.

I like it better because I think it is better. Not just that I like it. I prefer the benefits of one, you like the benefits of the other. I disagree that your method is objectively better.

What are the benefits for daughter platforms? It puts teammates out of position for no advantage whatsoever. The only upside people have said is to have an angle on the Knights... except center bubble does this better. Plus all the other advantages I've described. Center is better but it's far from essential. Use whatever you want. Use whatever you think is better.

TL;DR: I'm gonna play Bloodborne DLC tonight.

What about backstage though? That is, by definition, in the back. So the stage is, also, in thr back

Oryx's room is not really the bridge of the ship though?

We call it Saturn and Spawn now lol.

In all seriousness, why don't we call the totems R1 R2, L1 and L2. We do this for Golgy's Orbs.

Plus our controllers* have a legend on them right there.

*unless you play with the heathens device.

And this is all totally in jest.

Like I mentioned previously, each phase can be split up into more minute detail, like a WoW fight. In this case-

Get into Position
Kill Snipers
Retrieve Relic
Damage Sister

Clear Adds
Kill Snipers
Retrive Relic
Dunk Right Witch
Kill Sister

If you want to get meta, because usually it's not the same runner, and because the platform holders might change because of this fact, and because you had to take different steps after the first phase(In this case, clearing adds and starting from a different position), then that constitutes the 2nd phase as being different than the first, again rejecting the idea that both phases are the same and that each sister counts as a cycle.

Agreed completely, this is why I never liked the use of the word cycle hence why I just call everything phases. Fuck I'm having WoW cravings now :p need to play some actual raids, so very tempted to come back for Legion.

Agreed completely, this is why I never liked the use of the word cycle hence why I just call everything phases. Fuck I'm having WoW cravings now :p need to play some actual raids, so very tempted to come back for Legion.

I'll probably play Legion for a bit, atleast to experience the new stuff if it's enticing enough...it does make me crave fighting legit raids though. I'd like to see an Arthas-like fight in a game like Destiny....Skolas did have a debuff mechanic like the debuff Arthas gives players, but I want to see it turned up to 11.

I'll probably play Legion for a bit, atleast to experience the new stuff if it's enticing enough...it does make me crave fighting legit raids though. I'd like to see an Arthas fight in a game like Destiny....Skolas did have a debuff mechanic like the debuff Arthas gives players, but I want to see it turned up to 11.

Yeah need those terrifying Ice Spheres :p Pretty interested in seeing out the Artifact stuff and the transmog stuff they took from Diablo looks pretty sweet. Also Demon Hunters.

Also I'm level 22 and it's making me go through every quest in the regular storyline again?

Right now I'm on a level 2 quest to get a warp core thing for my ship

The 2nd quest in the game

The fuck?

Jinjo

Get into Position
Kill Snipers
Retrieve Relic
Damage Sister

Clear Adds
Kill Snipers
Retrive Relic
Dunk Right Witch
Kill Sister

That all depends on were you put "kill adds", I say, kill adds belongs at the end of the phase, since you don't start the fight by killing adds either. Plus if you don't kill adds before you lose the shield you're in trouble. So if you put kill adds at the end of a phase, a phase becomes the same as a cycle. As in the second phase the adds do still spawn. But if you killed both sisters in a row the encounter prematurely ends and adds clearly despawn. However if you don't, you gotta end the phase/cycle by killing the adds and start anew.

The obvious answer is to post like crazy until we can break into a new thread.

Destiny |OT♦38| Everything New is Old Again

Haha I like this idea, and the OT title. I'll show my support with this insubstantial post right here.

Something something back front cycle center daughters something something.

Also I'm level 22 and it's making me go through every quest in the regular storyline again?

The fuck?

It gives you the quest line, but you don't have to do it if you don't want to. It's meant for people new to the game.

The fuck?

I'm not sure how it works from the beginning but a lot of the quests are trash, i'm not sure if missing them will lock you out from later ones though

True is back on Solo Oryx http://www.twitch.tv/tfue the strat is down, it just needs a perfect run. Ehroar has been the closest with 15/16 bombs

Got kicked from Destiny Caterpillar, then Nightingale PS4
Then tells me to connect to PSN.
Restarted PS4, router, now Destiny Servers are Offline apparently.
5 friends waiting for me at Oryx, had him/her down to the final round when I got kicked.

deadduck

Dug out an Eyasluna from the vault with: outlaw, airborne and braced frame (lose 1 bullet from the mag but has 95% stability). Roll on December.

The fuck?

You don't have to do those quests. They just added them in for TTK for brand new players just starting the game. So if you were starting a new character now you could do the first story missions in quest form. Just delete them. They'll be saved in a kiosk at the Tower next to the Vangaurd people (Cayde, Ikora, etc).

Thanks

It's just weird because I did the story on this character in vanilla and was curious why it gave em to me again to do

I find that weird

Will skip, then

That all depends on were you put "kill adds", I say, kill adds belongs at the end of the phase, since you don't start the fight by killing adds either. Plus if you don't kill adds before you lose the shield you're in trouble. So if you put kill adds at the end of a phase, a phase becomes the same as a cycle. As in the second phase the adds do still spawn. But if you killed both sisters in a row the encounter prematurely ends and adds clearly despawn. However if you don't, you gotta end the phase/cycle by killing the adds and start anew.

It doesn't matter where you place them in the phases-That is enough to differentiate the start of the 2nd phase from the start of the 1st phase. Whether you count the adds as the first phase, or as the start of the 2nd phase, it's irrelevant because you are forced to do the sisters in a set order.

Like I mentioned, if you could start on any witch and continue on each witch, that would be one phase repeated multiple times. But because this fight has a set order, then each phase must be counted as part of a cycle, and not as a whole of a cycle.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Last week was the only week when available I did not do trials. Now that IB isn't here I'm expecting to do some. We're all masochists.

-It is true. You have direct unobstructed straight line of sight for all 4 Ogres' crit spots, the easiest possible sight lines. I have no idea what all these "things in the way" are. Up top you can still hit the Ogres, I never claimed otherwise. But the Ogres spawning right below you are at a steep angle. Of course you can still hit them fine but the sight lines aren't as clear.

I don't get why it's so important for you to harp on the unobstructed sightlines to the ogre's crit spots when she was talking about the knights. You can argue all you want about easier sight lines on ogres whereas the top absolutely has an easier sightline on the knights earlier in the encounter.

"But you can see them later as they run to the middle" is not an objective benefit. People on the daughters' platforms probably don't give a shit about ogre sightlines since they die extremely quickly regardless, and people on the bottom middle don't give a shit about knight sightlines because they die when they cross regardless. It's going to boil down to preference on those variables alone, and that's not even taking the positioning into consideration.

What are the benefits for daughter platforms? It puts teammates out of position for no advantage whatsoever. The only upside people have said is to have an angle on the Knights... except center bubble does this better. Plus all the other advantages I've described.

Everything here is just nonsense, so there's no point even bothering.

flkraven

The daughters encounter is an infinity logo (or figure eight) with 1 daughter in the center of each circle. I don't know if this information helps the cycle discussion.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I beat Fallout and started again. Destiny whut? I'll be around for Trials.

Play me in Ultra.

rtrtrtr.gif

Last week was the only week when available I did not do trials. Now that IB isn't here I'm expecting to do some. We're all masochists.

You can say that there are multiple phases of Trials in a month, and only one Iron Banner phase. So we won't see Iron Banner until the next cycle.

GutZ31

You can say that there are multiple phases of Trials in a month, and only one Iron Banner phase. So we won't see Iron Banner until the next cycle.

Could you write up a detailed mockup of this for a meeting in 5?
Also, some visual ads will go a long way.
Thanks....

E92 M3

Biologically speaking the Hive are quite interesting. I'd love to read a more fleshed out grimoire about their ancient past.

Basically just more Books of Sorrow. plz.

Yeah, Books of Sorrow are very interesting and would like to be even more fleshed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom