• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namikaze1

"Through data we found out Guardians were doing Oryx incorrectly. We never intended two people to take down Ogres by themselves. So we're changing Touch of Malice so it cannot interact with Blessing of Shield, draining your life normally. We are also nerfing Defenders so they lose 25% of all damage done, they are a defensive class but our statistics show that people prefer to do less damage as a defensive class. Now fellow guardians conquer Oryx! Deej out!"
b216057f2b7ffb9d62422d7f6d3bb09e.gif

Just did the last step in the First Curse questline by just playing Rumble. My k/d went down (lol idc) and it took me like 8 games to finally get a good one. . I think I'm an above average pvp player so I don't know how other people can do this without getting a friend to help out.

A cycle is what you do to create a damage phase on a boss.

Crota: each sword is a cycle. Ogres are a variation within a cycle, similar to Wrath vs Shade on Oryx.
Golgoroth: failing to capture gaze ends the cycle, so a cycle can be from one orb up to six
Daughters: killing one daughter per relic is two cycles, leaving one alive initially is three cycles
Oryx: 4 cycles with 4 blights each kills him. Can get 6 cycles if some blights are missed

No it was just a bunch of letters and numbers. And then I went to look for it but it was in my Missions inventory rather than gear.

I took it to the synthgunsmith and he said stuff about Rasputin and then +200 rep?

It's part of the Sleeper Simulant quest chain. You'll find 4 of these total, and then in the future, you'll trigger a quest.

They don't show up in your special weapons, but rather your quest items.

Frenden

Banned
Just did the last step in the First Curse questline by just playing Rumble. My k/d went down (lol idc) and it took me like 8 games to finally get a good one. . I think I'm an above average pvp player so I don't know how other people can do this without getting a friend to help out.

Three or four Clash matches here. All were frustratingly close to seven kills. Like, five or six and just a kill or a few seconds short. Terrible quest step. It assumed that hand cannons were still good and that Imprecation was a worthy gun. In reality, it is the worst.

darthbob

I hope they adjust stuff like Gunslinger too. Some of the perks are just terrible. Throwing knife kills extend Golden Gun duration? Picking up ammo reduces throwing knife cooldown? What were they thinking?

I think that overall the original vanilla subclasses need to be looked into, heavily.

Bungie can buff Titan base melee attack speed and/or damage and it still won't make much of a difference at the competitive level.

The range disparity between Titans and Warlocks/Hunters is 90% of the issue and has to be addressed somehow.

I'd also appreciate buffs/tweaks to Storm Fist and its skill tree upgrades as well. Like you said, the subclass designed to punch things is likely the worst subclass to punch things.

What if Transfusion supercharged movement/Lift speed for X seconds after it proc'd? Or produced other temporary benefits like damage reduction? Or if the amount of enemies in proximity sped up melee recharging for some PvE love. Kills with Shoulder Charge increase the damage of Storm Fist for X seconds. Things to encourage close quarters combat basically.

Transfusion could use some sort of buff, because at the moment it's extremely situational. Kills start health regen isn't a very good perk on a melee IMO, but your ideas sound good on paper.

Range really needs to be the primary focus if they're going to try and rebalance Strikers and Defenders. Not sure how they'll affect Defenders though, might reduce the bonuses from BoL and WoL?

A cycle is what you do to create a damage phase on a boss.

Crota: each sword is a cycle. Ogres are a variation within a cycle, similar to Wrath vs Shade on Oryx.
Golgoroth: failing to capture gaze ends the cycle, so a cycle can be from one orb up to six
Daughters: killing one daughter per relic is two cycles, leaving one alive initially is three cycles
Oryx: 4 cycles with 4 blights each kills him. Can get 6 cycles if some blights are missed

wat, daughters is one cycle.

The definition of cycle-
any complete round or series of occurrences that repeats or is repeated.

If you end up getting 3 relics(Ie damage sister, kill 2nd, then repeat) then that is 2 cycles, if you repeat it. But if you only go through each sister once, it's one cycle. It's in the definition. Don't treat each sister in a vacuum, both are the same boss fight(Therefore one cycle, since the 2nd sister doesn't count as 'repeating the first').

I will fight you.

coy

I'm average at PvP (1.22 kd wut wut) but did it in my 2nd Rumble match (classic playlist on Rusted Lands). I must've had stinky players in my lobby that day.

Edit: #Team2Cycle (Bicycle?)

If the same person had to run the relic to get both daughters and the relic was above the same platform each time, I could be swayed. But given that, it feels like a new cycle.

I'm peeved.

So, if a cycle is a series of occurences, this is the sisters fight-

Get relic for first sister>Damage sister>Get Relic for 2nd sister>Damage 2nd sister.

Since you cannot damage the same sister twice in a row, and since you always have to do it in the same order, going through both sisters is one cycle, since it completes the series of occurrences for the whole boss fight.

I WILL FIGHT ANYONE WHO DISAGREES.

Anyone wanna do Nightfall?

Add CannedHeat, I'll do one with you
Edit-XBL or PSN?

Namikaze1

I'm peeved.

Get relic for first sister>Damage sister>Get Relic for 2nd sister>Damage 2nd sister.

Since you cannot damage the same sister twice in a row, and since you always have to do it in the same order, going through both sisters is one cycle, since it completes the series of occurrences for the whole boss fight.

You have my hammer!

The benefits are objective, not supposed. And they're far from necessary for any group. No Knights is for low light, there's no light difference for center vs daughters platform. Two clarifications from earlier posts:

-you don't need daughters platform for line of sight on Knights. They path through the middle to opposite blight, the center gives clear LoS on all 4. Besides, people on sync plates can easily kill first 3 Knights since the Ogres die so quickly.
-Bastion bubble lasts 45 seconds which is perfect timing from Oryx slam until Aura arrives. Bubble will disappear then you clear adds w Aura. You want the bubble for safety until then.

People should use whatever method they prefer, but differentiate "I like this better" vs "this is better."

- I never said you needed it. I said it was better, and it is. You can't argue that you can see the Knights just as well on the bottom as on the top because it's not true. There are enough things to get in the way on the bottom that become a non-issue higher up. I've been in enough groups where someone has forgotten to or failed to kill their Knight one or twice that you can't always rely on people on platforms to do it.

Also, if you can't hit the Ogres' fat heads from the Daughters platform, idk what to say.

- I've also experienced a Titan bubble being put down in the middle before the Ogres spawn and still being there after Oryx has flinched. No chance of it getting in the way up on the Daughter platform. Also the floaters don't even have to jump down until the bombs are about to go off. Idk how you think it's confusing because there's too much manoeuvring or whatever.

I like it better because I think it is better. Not just that I like it. I prefer the benefits of one, you like the benefits of the other. I disagree that your method is objectively better.

The definition of cycle-

If you end up getting 3 relics(Ie damage sister, kill 2nd, then repeat) then that is 2 cycles, if you repeat it. But if you only go through each sister once, it's one cycle. It's in the definition. Don't treat each sister in a vacuum, both are the same boss fight(Therefore one cycle, since the 2nd sister doesn't count as 'repeating the first').

I will fight you.

The key words are "Any complete round".

A round for sisters is you do platforming, dunk a sister, you damage a sister for 1 minute / kill ads. That part ALWAYS repeats. Just because you can't damage both sisters doesn't mean it's a round.

If you kill each sister at first attempt, that's still 2 rounds/cycles.
If you damage sis 1, kill sis 2, kill sis 1, that's 3 cycles because you've gone through 3 COMPLETE rounds. The rounds are complete because a round is platforming, dunk, damage/ads. That's the definition of a round. A sister doesn't have to die to be a round.

In a boxing match, there are typically 12 rounds for the main event. You dont have to knockout the person for that to be a complete round.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm peeved.

Edit-XBL or PSN?

PSN! SmileyFM, I think I just added you if that's you lol

A round for sisters is you do platforming, dunk a sister, you damage a sister for 1 minute / kill ads.

If you kill each sister in 1 round, that's still 2 cycles.
If you damage sis 1, kill sis 2, kill sis 1, that's 3 cycles because you've gone through 3 COMPLETE rounds. The rounds are complete because a round is platforming, dunk, damage/ads. That's the definition of a round. A sister doesn't have to die to be a round.

That's because you're treating both sisters as the same object. If the sister was one singular Boss, then yes it would be multiple cycles. But because they are 2 different entities within the boss fight, each one is a different cycle. If you could dunk the same sister multiple times in a row, then it would be a cycle. however, BECAUSE you have to do it in a set order(Always the sister to the left of the entrance first, and then the right) they are both occurrences within the same cycle. A round in this case having to dunk both of them before repeating the process on the first sister.

And this isn't a boxing match! This would be as if you had to fight 2 people at once in a boxing fight, and knocking out one does not complete the round unless the timer goes down and you have to start the next round, if you knock out both at the same time then that was one round(Timer/Dunk/whatever)

PSN! SmileyFM, I think I just added you if that's you lol

No mic~

That's because you're treating both sisters as the same object. If the sister was one singular Boss, then yes it would be multiple cycles. But because they are 2 different entities within the boss fight, each one is a different cycle. If you could dunk the same sister multiple times in a row, then it would be a cycle. however, BECAUSE you have to do it in a set order(Always the sister to the left of the entrance first, and then the right) they are both occurrences within the same cycle. A round in this case having to dunk both of them before repeating the process on the first sister.

They are the same object in terms of completing the event. But not in terms of how the event plays out. Since you have to repeat ALL of the steps in order to attack the 2nd sister, that can be regarded as separate rounds.

They are the same object in terms of completing the event. But not in terms of how the event plays out. Since you have to repeat ALL of the steps in order to attack the 2nd sister, that can be regarded as separate rounds.

And that's the where your argument fails! They are not the same object. Same boss fight=/=same object.

Room for one more nightfall, lemme invite you smiley you were in patrol

A round for sisters is you do platforming, dunk a sister, you damage a sister for 1 minute / kill ads. That part ALWAYS repeats. Just because you can't damage both sisters doesn't mean it's a round.

If you kill each sister in 1 round, that's still 2 cycles.

In a boxing match, there are typically 12 rounds for the main event. You dont have to knockout the person for that to be a complete round.

The concept of cycle is circle/circular...so it's however many steps until you repeat the process.

If everyone defines it via "boss damage phase" then that's...well a boss damage phase not a cycle.

Oryx is a bit weird to describe because of the artillery shells versus shade flip....but if you assign an isomorphism between those two parts then you have 4/5/6 cycles within the Oryx fight.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

And this isn't a boxing match! This would be as if you had to fight 2 people at once in a boxing fight, and knocking out one does not complete the round unless the timer goes down and you have to start the next round, if you knock out both at the same time then that was one round(Timer/Dunk/whatever)

No mic~

Sorry I was just doing the fallen captain thing lol, you dont have a mic? That's fine

Any third wanna join us for PSN nightfall?

The definition of cycle-

I will fight you.

The cycle is "jump on sync plates to form platforms, clear adds (spawns in middle w Centurion, snipers on outside), run across platforms to get relic, steal Aura from Daughter, use aura for protection while damaging that daughter." When the song ends the aura disappears and you've started the next cycle. Song starts, repeat what you did before.

3 relics for 2 cycles makes no sense. What if you partially damaged both daughters on each of the first two? Then killed them on each of the next two? Is that 4 cycles or 2? See how your definition isn't consistent? A cycle is what you do to create a damage phase. That definition is consistent across every strat for every boss. It doesn't mean you succeed in damaging them (I.e. Missing all blights) but the damage phase is there.

Ganhyun

I haven't posted or played Destiny since right before TTK came out. Heard good and bad things about it. Anyone know if there will be a Christmas deal on just the TTK expansion or if they will let those of us who play on 360/PS3 and XBone/PS4 only have to buy the content once like they did previously with the Expansion Pass?

Also, apparently you guys are causing people to stop reading Destiny threads?

It happens a lot in the Destiny Community thread for some reason. First I just added anyone who posted them to my ignore list but that was just annoying. At this point I don't even bother reading the thread any more.

No one seems to realise what they're doing.

That's from the GIF thread btw.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1145711

And that's the where your argument fails! They are not the same object. Same boss fight=/=same object.

Room for one more nightfall, lemme invite you smiley you were in patrol

The concept of cycle is circle/circular...so it's however many steps until you repeat the process.

If everyone defines it via "boss damage phase" then that's...well a boss damage phase not a cycle.

Oryx is a bit weird to describe because of the artillery shells versus shade flip....but if you assign an isomorphism between those two parts then you have 4/5/6 cycles within the Oryx fight.

Still by definition
1) any complete round or
2) series of occurrences that repeats or is repeated.

It's 2 halves to 1 boss, essentially. You can only attack 1 half at a time, but you're repeating everything else exactly to attack each half. You have to go through the "cycle" of platform/relic/dunk/attack for each half. So at least the way I program, [platform/relic/dunk/attack] is a reusable cycle and once complete, it's a 1/0 boolean for which could be dunked/attacked.

ethomaz

Banned
I still prefer the daughters platform as a floater. The supposed benefits to being on the bottom seem to only be necessary if people are low level.
I found easy the daughters platform strategy even for low level players.
I did it with a sub 305 Warlock.

The cycle is "jump on sync plates to form platforms, clear adds (spawns in middle w Centurion, snipers on outside), run across platforms to get relic, steal Aura from Daughter, use aura for protection while damaging that daughter." When the song ends the aura disappears and you've started the next cycle. Song starts, repeat what you did before.

3 relics for 2 cycles makes no sense. What if you partially damaged both daughters on each of the first two? Then killed them on each of the next two? Is that 4 cycles or 2? See how your definition isn't consistent? A cycle is what you do to create a damage phase. That definition is consistent across every strat for every boss. It doesn't mean you succeed in damaging them (I.e. Missing all blights) but the damage phase is there.

The fallacy here is you're treating each sister as the same object. Again, it's an easy mistake to make.

Still by definition
1) any complete round or
2) series of occurrences that repeats or is repeated.

It's 2 halves to 1 boss, essentially. You can only attack 1 half at a time, but you're repeating everything else exactly to attack each half. You have to go through the "cycle" of platform/relic/dunk/attack for each half. So at least the way I program, [platform/relic/dunk/attack] is a reusable cycle and once complete, it's a 1/0 boolean for which could be dunked/attacked.

If it's 2 halves to one boss, you have to complete both halves in order to complete a cycle. Each halve doesn't count as a cycle. That's not how halves work.

The fallacy here is you're treating each sister as the same object. Again, it's an easy mistake to make.

If it's 2 halves to one boss, you have to complete both halves in order to complete a cycle. Each halve doesn't count as a cycle. That's not how halves work.

You complete a cycle in order to do DPS. It just happens to be 1 half. You can count them as 2 parts to 1 boss, or 2 seperate bosses. That part doesn't matter. It does matter the order but it doesn't negate the fact that you have to do an entire cycle of platforming/relic with ads/ dunk/ in order to DPS.

Sweet mother of mercy we need new content or something. One of the dumbest arguments in DGAF history. I especially like how you didn't bother answering the question I'd asked about your definition.

I'm not treating each sister as the same object. I'm treating them as the boss, which they are. Last post I'll make about this because I can feel my brain melting.

You complete a cycle in order to do DPS. It just happens to be 1 half. You can count them as 2 parts to 1 boss, or 2 seperate bosses. That part doesn't matter. It does matter the order but it doesn't negate the fact that you have to do an entire cycle of platforming/relic with ads/ dunk/ in order to DPS.

Again, a cycle isn't doing dps. That's you changing the definition to fit your argument. If a cycle is a set amount of occurrences, then seeing as the 1st sister=/=2nd sister, you have to clear the 2nd sister in order to complete the cycle. The issue here is you're treating both sisters as the same object. It's like...fighting 2 singular entities in one boss fight may seem strange, but I assure you, for example, that many WoW bosses work like that and a cycle for those is doing both entities and then repeating.

Sweet mother of mercy we need new content or something. One of the dumbest arguments in DGAF history. I especially like how you didn't bother answering the question I'd asked about your definition.

I'm not treating each sister as the same object. I'm treating them as the boss, which they are. Last post I'll make about this because I can feel my brain melting.

I'M DOING A NIGHTFALL OK

flkraven

Where is all this talk about cycles coming from? Is it confirmed that challenge mode revolves around completing something in a certain amount of 'cycles'?

Namikaze1

Where is all this talk about cycles coming from? Is it confirmed that challenge mode revolves around completing something in a certain amount of 'cycles'?
It started off from someone asking a simple question and 3 of us giving that person our answers.

Then things spiraled out of control from there.

Wummery has reached new heights, titans op/not op, front/back oryx, cycle

phen0m24

Again, a cycle isn't doing dps. That's you changing the definition to fit your argument. If a cycle is a set amount of occurrences, then seeing as the 1st sister=/=2nd sister, you have to clear the 2nd sister in order to complete the cycle. The issue here is you're treating both sisters as the same object. It's like...fighting 2 singular entities in one boss fight may seem strange, but I assure you, for example, that many WoW bosses work like that and a cycle for those is doing both entities and then repeating.
I'M DOING A NIGHTFALL OK

popcorn.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom