• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seriously might get Destiny 2 on XB1 simply for the controller. The more I use the DS4 the more I hate it... Especially the Thumbsticks and how they lose their grip so easily.

Same thing happened with the PS3 tho. I hated the DS3 so much I eventually couldn't play anything on that system because it would just annoy me :/ Tried a couple 3rd party controllers but they sucked too.

Replace the DS4 thumbsticks with Xbone ones. It's pretty easy. It won't help with other build quality issues though :(

I seriously might get Destiny 2 on XB1 simply for the controller. The more I use the DS4 the more I hate it... Especially the Thumbsticks and how they lose their grip so easily.

Same thing happened with the PS3 tho. I hated the DS3 so much I eventually couldn't play anything on that system because it would just annoy me :/ Tried a couple 3rd party controllers but they sucked too.

I absolutely can't stand the XBO controller. DS4 would be better for me if the build quality wasn't trash. They deteriorate so fast. Just bought a brand new one before TTK and it already feels like i'm having trouble Sprinting.

Unstable

Destiny borrowed a lot of gameplay elements from WoW, same with Diablo, and PSO.

However, Bungie took those elements in abstract, a necessity, as Destiny is an AAA-shooter, not a hot-bar MMO. There's things you can look at and say "That's like this feature from WoW", or "Destiny has a raid just like an MMO"! But, I think that's missing the point, as making Destiny's FPS gameplay work with those systems is what makes it unique.

Destiny's innovation isn't what it's doing, it's how it's doing it.

I didn't like the normal XB1 controller nearly as much as the DS4. But the DS4 sticks are trash.

XBox Elite Controller is really good (Other than having to switch back to normal button layout during menus and whatnot).
-If only the Controller knew when you're in the Dashboard/Menu to have it be normal button layout.

Sony needs to build a higher quality DS4.

Frame speeds for animations, distances regarding spells, movement speeds, balance on hundreds of skills. I believe that PvP and PvE are balanced differently iirc. Not to mention the raid gear tends to provide special bonuses for classes(I believe one of the Mage Draenor sets would make an ice boulder fall on enemies when a certain skill was used) and these have to be balanced relevant to party compositions and the classes themselves.

I mean, Destiny is kinda barebones in terms of balance difficulty when compared to WoW.

Okay good to know. Sounds like lots of changes to values still, but definitely at a huge scale compared to something like Destiny. I just wasn't sure if updates frequently balanced encounters or added new mechanics or enemies, etc.

Okay good to know. Sounds like lots of changes to values still, but definitely at a huge scale compared to something like Destiny. I just wasn't sure if updates frequently balanced encounters or added new mechanics or enemies, etc.

I would say that each expansion for WoW adds significantly more than what TTK has added. Like, if Warlords of Draenor was TTK, then TDB and HoW would be patches to that base.

I would say that each expansion for WoW adds significantly more than what TTK has added. Like, if Warlords of Draenor was TTK, then TDB and HoW would be patches to that base.

But... look at WoW: Amount of time since previous expansion

Expansions have lasted roughly 2 years.
WoW – TBC: 26 months (2004-11-23 – 2007-01-16)
TBC – WotLK: 22 months (2007-01-16 – 2008-11-13)
WotLK – Cataclysm: 25 months (2008-11-13 – 2010-12-07)
Cataclysm – MoP: 22 months (2010-12-07 – 2012-09-25)
MoP – WoD: 25 months (2012-09-25 – 2014-11-13)

Comparing WoW expansions and Destiny Expansions aren't even close. The shortest time b/w expansions is 22 months.

It's been 13 months and 25 days since Vanilla Destiny came out.

Strider

Replace the DS4 thumbsticks with Xbone ones. It's pretty easy. It won't help with other build quality issues though :(

Might just do that although it still would'nt change that the controller just doesn't feel comfortable in my hands... Prefer the size of the XB1 controller overall.

I absolutely can't stand the XBO controller. DS4 would be better for me if the build quality wasn't trash. They deteriorate so fast. Just bought a brand new one before TTK and it already feels like i'm having trouble Sprinting.

I've had 4 since launch :/ No point in getting anymore since they apparently all go to trash quickly.

the 360 controller was GOAT.

agreed. Although have you tried an Elite at all? That might change my mind

daedalius

Right right. That makes sense of course given the subscription fee.

The two DLCs everyone paid for before may as well have been $10/month subscription fees given how much they costed and the frequency we got them.

Destiny having things like WoW and Diablo is a good thing imo; they need to steal the loot tables from Diablo and put them in instead of Vanilla WoW tho... raids with no loot are preeeeeety amazing! I was over that 11 years ago.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
XB1 controller is better. Use it to play my PC games with. Hori pad for Destiny. It takes an hour or two to get adjusted to.

But... look at WoW: Amount of time since previous expansion

Expansions have lasted roughly 2 years.
WoW – TBC: 26 months (2004-11-23 – 2007-01-16)
TBC – WotLK: 22 months (2007-01-16 – 2008-11-13)
WotLK – Cataclysm: 25 months (2008-11-13 – 2010-12-07)
Cataclysm – MoP: 22 months (2010-12-07 – 2012-09-25)
MoP – WoD: 25 months (2012-09-25 – 2014-11-13)

Comparing WoW expansions and Destiny Expansions aren't even close. The shortest time b/w expansions is 22 months.

It's been 13 months and 25 days since Vanilla Destiny came out.

True enough, still it's a comparison :X

Strider

I consider Destiny to be closer to Diablo than WoW...

And Diablo gets more content through free patches than what Destiny gets through paid expansions :/

The two DLCs everyone paid for before may as well have been $10/month subscription fees given how much they costed and the frequency we got them.

Destiny having things like WoW and Diablo is a good thing imo; they need to steal the loot tables from Diablo and put them in instead of Vanilla WoW tho... raids with no loot are preeeeeety amazing! I was over that 11 years ago.

Ehh 2 DLCs over 8 months for $40 doesn't seem like a subscription fee.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for Destiny emulating good things from WoW and Diablo, both are successful and highly regarded games. I just think people often draw very tenuous parallels and want Destiny to take from those games in unrealistic ways.

I miss the days when this was mainly an LFG and weapon/lore discussion thread than what it has been the past week such as which is front side vs back side, and how many cycles is the daughters fight (LOL, my favorite).

I've been sitting here for 45 minutes trying to find a group for trials. I need stats to reset so lfg will accept my xbox character. The combination of my nephews playing and running into MLG pros while playing with LFG/PUGS didn't do to well for my record there.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
anyone wanna run trials for at least a 5+ win run?

Heck, make the loot more like borderlands and it'd be a better borderlands. But I whole-heartedly agree. I even said that in a post a few pages ago, I wish the loot was more like Diablo post-revamp.

is anyone running anything? or is everyone in bed already? :p

I miss the days when this was mainly an LFG and weapon/lore discussion thread than what it has been the past week such as which is front side vs back side, and how many cycles is the daughters fight (LOL, my favorite).

I've been sitting here for 45 minutes trying to find a group for trials. I need stats to reset so lfg will accept my xbox character.

... wait, your xbox char? do you have xbox AND ps4 versions of the game and play both? oO

I've been sitting here for 45 minutes trying to find a group for trials. I need stats to reset so lfg will accept my xbox character. The combination of my nephews playing and running into MLG pros while playing with LFG/PUGS didn't do to well for my record there.

The cycle of Destiny will continue, We will raid, and they will trials.

Strider

I'll just buy Xim4 and not deal with any of the controller crap

I really do miss KB/M tho but all the shooters I'm into atm are console only :/ If only Destiny had a PC version...

"Raids are part of a cycle, yours is over."
"Your Trials will drift away, blown into eternity, like the sand in the deserts."
"Where raiders fear to tread"
"Soon, there will be raiding"

5pm would probably be a good time. Going to the Colts game tomorrow which should be over by ~4pm EST, hopefully I'll be home by 5ish.

The plays were so real today.

just don't want to get into sweaty games too late at night and i can barely call out because i gotta keep my voice down. was playing so much better earlier in the evening being able to coordinate more openly.

XenoRaven

I like the Xbone controller but I think the RB/LB buttons are straight garbage, so games that rely on them fairly heavily (like Destiny) can be a struggle for me.

It pains me to say this, but I'm going to have to buy some Kontrol Freeks, since the sticks on my third PS4 controller are peeling and the grips are wearing down. I just wish they could spell "control freak" like normal people instead of whatever l33t g4m3r shit they thought would appeal to the CoD audience.

I miss the days when this was mainly an LFG and weapon/lore discussion thread than what it has been the past week

Me too. It's important to remember DGAF is a place for Destiny discussion, not talking about other posters or other games, etc. When the game is this slow, some off-topic stuff is healthy but it needs to stay positive and in moderation.

I'm always paranoid about "staying on task" ever since what happened to HaloGaf. New content will keep this place humming along fine, but everyone needs to be mindful during these dry seasons.

just don't want to get into sweaty games too late at night and i can barely call out because i gotta keep my voice down. was playing so much better earlier in the evening being able to coordinate more openly.

Most definitely. Call outs were so on point early we scared JapanMan, he thought evil spirits had possessed you. I couldn't watch most of your first run w Stabie, but I saw the end. Always super depressing, especially if you feel constrained by noise concerns.

Doing earlier runs would also help some EU-Gaffers climb aboard. Plus I should crash out at a more sensible time tomorrow night.

Me too. It's important to remember DGAF is a place for Destiny discussion, not talking about other posters or other games, etc. When the game is this slow, some off-topic stuff is healthy but it needs to stay positive and in moderation.

I'm always paranoid about "staying on task" ever since what happened to HaloGaf. New content will keep this place humming along fine, but everyone needs to be mindful during these dry seasons.

Plus I should crash out at a more sensible time tomorrow night.

Yeah for sure. I know it's because this place is like a home thread to many of us, but we should definitely keep posts about other games down as much as possible. But yea, mainly when it's extremely slow is when it gets like this. Some off topic discussion is healthy as you said, since it does convey a home-like thread which I do like.

Spoilers about other games should never be talked about, especially a game / expansion that's less than a week old!

And to the 2nd part, much yes. I need a good night's rest tomorrow. Trials made my heart rate go up too much today.

If we only discussed destiny then this thread would be pretty dead. I mean, I know to mind the destiny discussion, but it is a community thread. There's only so much discussion you can get from 'That's a cycle/lf trials/lfg raid'.

And for alot of us, we would be into the lore but it's so poorly presented and not in the actual game itself that it's just a second thought to alotta people.

Also

After my overall great day playing trials for the first time on a monitor, I moved my Xbox to my computer room so that it sits on top of my desk to take advantage of the gloriousness. Played just 1 match of pvp daily and it felt just as great, if not better than ps4, mainly because of the elite controller.

Hopefully there will be gaffers to play trials with on xb1 tomorrow.

2real4tv

Holidays seems like the best time to purchase controllers always $39.99

Had to grab Helm of St 14 on Xbox from Xur before he leaves in 26 minutes. I'll definitely use this for challenge mode. Since so far all 3 of my exotic helm engrave have turned into Helm of Inmost light. What are the odds of that?

On ps4, grabbed year 2 4th Horseman since I didn't have that yet and I care about completing but I can't complete everytbing on xb1. I just care about stuff that's going to help me out on there which makes it a lot faster and helps me enjoy it.

Today on both, I deleted my Titans' PoE helm. It was hard because it was so ugly and memorable, but I needed the space haha.

2real4tv

Man that Black Spindle mission is still tough got it done for one friend and a lfg guy all that work they should have kept it at 310.

NastyBook

Vanguard policy should urge Guardians to destroy this weapon on sight. It's a Guardian killer.

Been destroying peeps with this badboy. And it actually rolled this way right out of the chest. I've been having better games with this and the PSI Alto III (no slouch either), than with the Hawksaw/RedDeath/BadJuju. And it's funny to see people switch to those weapons after I've dropped them a few times with the aforementioned two.

Bedtime now.

I need to share this magical clip.

The world needs to see.

It's remarkable.

Enjoy.

That is amazing, Rawksaurs laugh <3

First trials with my monitor instead of TV and I LOVE IT.

I really need to get around to properly setting up my TV in game mode anyone with a Samsung LED have any tips

Yea, one of the dumbest games I had today was versus 2 shotgunning nightstalkers that'd go invis every round.

That was arse

If we only discussed destiny then this thread would be pretty dead. I mean, I know to mind the destiny discussion, but it is a community thread.

Where have I heard something similar...

Some guy said:
When the game is this slow, some off-topic stuff is healthy

You have truly mastered the fine art of Devil's Advocatism good sir Breezy.

Everyone ignore my useless off-topic post here.

Xbone Refer-A-Friend quest done with Unstabie. Just waiting on biteren to get TTK in the mail to start the PS4 RAF quest.

Wait, here's something on topic. How's the sparrow? Did you get all the rewards like the dances and the sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom