• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

stay gold

I think that is what I like about it. It's less twitch COD and requires a little more thinking now. Sure I had guys that I got 3 bursts into and they snuck away to live another day, but I think I'm OK with that. I hated the alternative of sticking your head out around the corner and getting lasered and killed in a half a second by two people with Pulse Rifles. It created a tenative and slow play style crucible. You can be a little more aggressive now knowing you can take a punch from a Pulse Rifle. But too aggressive and they'll still mow you down.

In theory this is good, but in practice it just makes people even more reliant on OHK special weapons. Special ammo nerf is needed to make people engage more with primaries.

Gammacide

Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap. Back pedal. Tap Tap Tap Tap. Reload.

The game really rewards passive play right now. That said, I'll quit Destiny before I stop using my Hawksaw and Shotgun. The Mida is BORING.
It IS boring. Know what's not boring? Doctrine. That thing has been shredding for me lately. Mine has such sweet stability it's a thing of beauty when aiming at heads.

Whatever your thoughts on Datto, I enjoyed this video. Especially him calling bullshit on the autorifle-gate and their explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nADlySXhcg

The problem with autorifle gate isn't the "typo" that happens. The problem is they posted a Weapons Preview that was totally out of line with what they did and then didn't change it for weeks.

Later, Newsk just said it was a draft preview, but that wasn't how it was written.

lt519

In theory this is good, but in practice it just makes people even more reliant on OHK special weapons. Special ammo nerf is needed to make people engage more with primaries.

This is certainly true. Since the nerf, and since I'm still using Hawksaw, I think the majority of my kills are from shotguns, melee, and grenades. I tend to get someone's health down with the Hawksaw with one or two bursts then use the geometry to get in position to finish them off with a shotgun or throwing knife. Which to me is infinitely more fun than just peeking in and out behind cover shooting at someone far away when that was the meta.

I need a good primary recommendation from you guys.

Here is the list of my main primaries since launch

S U R O S R E G I M E (slow fire)
Vision of Confluence
Fang of Ir Yut
Messenger
Nirwen
Hawksaw

I can already tell I don't care for my MIDA or my old Hawksaw.

Would love something to complement a chappy.

Yea, the MIDA is super boring in year 2. How did this all happen? I used to love the gun.

I was watching TripleWreck last night play some IB with a clanmate + 4 subs and he was talking about how boring it is to play this game right now and that they really need to fix their netcode or have dedicated servers, etc. etc. He's upset because he wants to play the game and enjoy it but the lag just makes it unbearable so many times. Also we shouldn't wait until Destiny 2 / whatever comes out on Sept 2016 and they should fix their current game. He made a lot of valid points. I like that he just speaks his mind.

Then he went on to do sweaties but I needed to go to bed.

Namikaze1

You use armor of light? I can't decide wether to use that or Blessing.

When I use armor I feel like I have to stay in my bubble to get any use out of it, while with blessing I can give armor to my whole team without having to stay in one spot.
I am usually holding down the fort by my lonesome so I have armor of light on. You can ask Ape just how many times I held the line alone, tanking incoming troops like it was nothing. It was hilarious this one match where four were heading to A point on Widow's Court. I was alone while everyone else went to B. by the time back up came, the fourth guy was down.

BurritoBear

Neo Member
Starting up a new IB train this morning :)

1. BurritoBear
2. ipitythafool32
3.Bigmanny287
4.Xfowcash
5.floydnova
6.Seanders89

PSN BurritoBear if you'd like to join up

*Edit - all full for now, but you can add me still if you'd like to join up when a spot opens.

You use armor of light? I can't decide wether to use that or Blessing.

When I use armor I feel like I have to stay in my bubble to get any use out of it, while with blessing I can give armor to my whole team without having to stay in one spot.

I am usually holding down the fort by my lonesome so I have armor of light on. You can ask Ape just how many times I held the line alone, tanking incoming troops like it was nothing. It was hilarious this one match where four were heading to A point on Widow's Court. I was alone while everyone else went to B. by the time back up came, the fourth guy was down.

Yup. Yup. Nami was full on tank mode with Armor of Light.

I like to go Blessing and use my bubble as a hub. So, I drop the bubble, get my blessing and then fight people around the bubble. I'll run back and grab more blessing and rinse/repeat. I als run No Back Up Plans with them and max INT so I can get my team additonal orbs.

Either type of defender is good and gives you an advantage in 6v6.

Edit: ALSO, SAINT 14 is so fun with bubble titan in PVP. People really love walking in to bubbles. That said, heading out of town for NYE, everyone have a safe and fun time tonight!

TP-DK

Hah nice! I can definitely see the advantage or armor of light in those situations. But whenever someone enters my bubble I tend to panic and just shoot and melee everywhere :D

Deku Tree

Hate to say it but "no knights" is still a superior strategy for an inexperienced group, or a group that is not familiar with each others play styles.

I can play with my regular the100 group and one shot the whole raid using any strategy.

Or I can play as an alt with a pro mode GAF reset squad and one shot the whole raid using any strategy.

Or I can go to LFG and beat Oryx with the "no knights" strat in 1-3 tries.

Or I could spend hours wiping with an inexperienced GAF group (even with a pro mode top tier #1 sherpa) trying and failing to use the high tier pro mode strategy. Yeah last night I think that we would have gotten it done if we had switched to no knights.

Just saying...

lt519

Wow the Tempering Buff is 150% on Monday? That's a cool tool. I could not play another match on my character and turn in my weeklies on Monday to hit 5. I've only played like 25 matches across the first two nights. Then Monday do all 6 bounties with my alts to hit Rank 5. Didn't realize it was so easy later in the week.

Just saying...

You are definitely right. It was like watching PUG trying the no Ogre strategy for HM Crota when they saw it was the way the first pro team did it. Those were pros kiddies, do it the smart and safe way and you'll have a lot less frustration. It was also frustrating with a group at the Sisters that insisted in killing them both on the first try and wiping repeatedly. Just do it in 4 rotations, it's easier, safer, and is almost guaranteed.

stay gold

Wow the Tempering Buff is 150% on Monday? That's a cool tool. I could not play another match on my character and turn in my weeklies on Monday to hit 5. I've only played like 25 matches across the first two nights. Then Monday do all 6 bounties with my alts to hit Rank 5. Didn't realize it was so easy later in the week.

Yeah. I think once you hit rank 5 on your main a further exp buff is applied to alts too, so they're super easy to rank 5 in an hour or 2.

Well I think that's it right? If you play with a MIDA you are going to be in a ton of boring ass fire fights. But MIDA is not an over powered weapon like Thorn or Pulse Rifles were. It's good in the right situations but I'm still going to mow down a MIDA if I'm in range and get the jump on them. In past meta games you had to use a hand cannon or pulse rifle or you were at a distinct disadvantage. You aren't at a disadvantage if you don't use a MIDA. It's much more balanced. People buying into that the MIDA is the new meta are just doing themselves a disservice and choosing a boring playstyle.

Maybe Trials its much worse because of the game type. I could see it being a shitty meta there.

MIDA isn't even really close to meta for 3's. It's probably meta for 6's though.

Hate to say it but "no knights" is still a superior strategy for an inexperienced group, or a group that is not familiar with each others play styles.

I can play with my regular the100 group and one shot the whole raid using any strategy.

Or I can play as an alt with a pro mode GAF reset squad and one shot the whole raid using any strategy.

Or I can go to LFG and beat Oryx with the "no knights" strat in 1-3 tries.

Or I could spend hours wiping with an inexperienced GAF group (even with a pro mode top tier #1 sherpa) trying and failing to use the high tier pro mode strategy. Yeah last night I think that we would have gotten it done if we had switched to no knights.

Just saying...

I actually think challenge mode strat is the easiest. No silly deaths from everyone going to the bombs multiple times, and without focusing on having to explode the bombs its easy to kill all the knights from inside the buff. It's also a lot easier to just go into "automatic" mode in terms of what you're doing.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
It's really amusing seeing the MIDA love now.

I remember when it was a sleeper hit and people scoffed at it. It used to be my main in IB and it was super rare if I ever saw someone else with it.

It could just be my imagination, but has anyone else who mained MIDA in Y1 feel like the Y2 version seems a bit...off? It doesn't really click with me the way it used to.

In the past, it was quest bounties given my Eris. Dont think she give those quest bounties anymore. Ehhhhh check the giant iphone by the Vanguard leaders? there should be 4 in the room iirc. Not the exotic iphones. I know you can replay former missions since I replayed HoW missions to increase the rep for that worthless exotic scout rifle. Thats prob the best bet I would believe.

Checked the abandoned quests and all that was there was the beginning quests.

Previously it required completing the dark below story missions and eris bounties.

Since TTK came out, every thing changed to the quest system, so you should have a dark below questline that leads to the Will of Crota strike. Check your quest progress or the abandoned quests kiosk in the tower.

If nothing works you can always load into the strike with someone else who has it unlocked.

What is your rank with Eris? It might just require Eris to be ranked up.

I think I'm rank 2 with Eris. How do I load into it with someone else?

It's funny to realize that as more time goes on, Certain older shaders actually become more and more impressive/valuable.

Sunsetter is probably one of the hardest shaders to get a hold of now.

SoulClap

It could just be my imagination, but has anyone else who mained MIDA in Y1 feel like the Y2 version seems a bit...off? It doesn't really click with me the way it used to.

I wouldn't say that it was my main primary in Y1 but I agree. Something does feel different and I can't pinpoint the reason.

Lol...310 MIDA from the Nightfall.

So what makes this weapon so great anyway? Enjoying my Doctrine...dunno if I want to use the flavour of the month.

chur

4 matches in a row where I've joined a game in progress. In all of them we had no control points and had just lost both heavy ammo.

Nothus

Yeah. I think once you hit rank 5 on your main a further exp buff is applied to alts too, so they're super easy to rank 5 in an hour or 2.

Your main only needs to be one rank in front of your alts for them to get double xp, so you can keep them all ticking along nicely rather than wait until you hit max rank with a character.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
4 matches in a row where I've joined a game in progress. In all of them we had no control points and had just lost both heavy ammo.

image.php

So what makes this weapon so great anyway? Enjoying my Doctrine...dunno if I want to use the flavour of the month.

It has crazy good flinching when you shoot someone.

However, it also has a problem with the reticle not shooting the bullet where it is supposed to.

It uses a standard carot reticle like this: ^

And the game would have you believe that the tip of the point is the crit spot (it actually shows the red dot above the carot).

Instead, the bullet actually falls somewhere below the tip. Sometimes causing mild feedback confusion.

stay gold

Agility perk, super high aim assist on top of great base stability, high range, fast equip & reload speed, ridiculous flinch and a decent kill time...yeah it's pretty good.

Your main only needs to be one rank in front of your alts for them to get double xp, so you can keep them all ticking along nicely rather than wait until you hit max rank with a character.

Didn't know this, thanks for tip!

Top Bottom