• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

I wonder if they will ever do a challenge or special event that gives a chance of a 320 ghost dropping. By my reckoning that's the only piece of gear that hasn't been included in the three challenges so far.

I know you can get one from the totems (and maybe IB?), but fuck those odds.

Challenge loot hasn't included anything from Totems or Daughters, so no 320 Ghosts, fusion rifles, shotguns or class items.

It would have made way more sense for Gogi to have Ghosts and Oryx to have class items instead of all 3 having artifacts but oh well! Not sure why basic things like this are so obvious to us but still missed by Bungie. Luke even tweeted that the hold up for CM release was nailing down the rewards. I mean the 320 guaranteed is fantastic but only because the actual KF loot tables (especially HM KF) were such a disaster.

Namikaze1

Goddammit! Another 319 class item.

Why don't you just give me my damn 320 class item already!

This is my third- *checks vault* yes, third 319 class item dammit!

Namikaze1

Those damn things drop every 20 or so races for me and always ends up teasing me.

"Oooh so close. Maybe another day, Namikaze1. *snicker*"

WipedOut

Need to finish up a couple things on PS4 tonight if anyone is willing to help. Need Fresh Run Normal up to Oryx. Also Could use some help on the daily getting the ghosts.

Born2Live

Goddammit! Another 319 class item.

Why don't you just give me my damn 320 class item already!

This is my third- *checks vault* yes, third 319 class item dammit!

Got my first 320 class item yesterday. SRL RNG has been kind to me, 2 320 helmets and a 320 class item and I haven't reached the 200 race mark yet.

Ty

I played 6 hours of Trials on Friday night. It was a lot of fun. I'll be back next week.

CWjl0qXUkAAJKEm.jpg

Had some great loot drops as well. Got INT/DISC gloves with Grenade Throw Dist/Scout Rifle reloader & from my gold package boots with INT/DISC with Sniper ammo. I rerolled my Alpha Lupi to get INT/DISC, Arc Armor and Sniper Reloader. Combined with my new Helmet from SRL and I'm now at T5 Int and T5 Disc. I have the perfect load out at this point.

I ran Striker with Scout/Sniper all of Friday night and did well. But at the same time, that loadout is doubling down on Mid-Long range engagements and I frequently felt vulernable in CQC. Shoulder Charge is for pushing mostly, so it's not helpful if I get pushed. And while the buffs to melee help, I was still getting out-melee'd be Warlocks from half the map away. I will say having T5 INT means I can get 2-3 Fist of Havocs in a match, which is nuts. I've had it as early as mid-round 2 and hot damn it's fun to smash some fools.

All that said, I'm still a bit uncertain about my play. I'm such a passive player. I like maintaining positional control, mostly because I have to when my thumb skill isn't great. Passive play doesn't feel like it's a good match for Striker. I'm rationalizing it to myself by saying Striker is still best in class for speed and thus best choice for positioning. And nothing beats smashing a Warlock resurrection as soon as he stands up. I do suppose the Striker super as I play, a Super counter, also plays into a passive style.

Part of me wonders if I'd do better as a Sunbreaker. Even, after the nerf, Hammers can be either great for aggression or support. I love, love, love my scout rifle. It's full-auto max stability with perfect balance. It fires faster than MIDA with the same impact. I don't have that direct comparison, but look how much better it is than Inward Lamp.

CTvj4-pWcAEIz8T.jpg

But I need something for close range. I feel like sniper is required for Trials, especially larger maps, not just because I trade too often with shotguns. So maybe I do have to give up my beloved Scout.

/randomtitanmusing

Man, hitting 40 takes longer than I remember/thought it would.

I tried playing as someone who was brand new to the game, which basically meant no PvP, only quests, and very very few bounties.

I think I've completed like 5 bounties so far.

Anyway, I'm half way through 39, almost to 40, and I'm sitting at 11 hours played. I beat Regicide at level 36. I had just unlocked the Split Nova Bomb ability when I made the jump to Storm Caller.

Trakan

Man, hitting 40 takes longer than I remember/thought it would.

I tried playing as someone who was brand new to the game, which basically meant no PvP, only quests, and very very few bounties.

I think I've completed like 5 bounties so far.

Anyway, I'm half way through 39, almost to 40, and I'm sitting at 11 hours played. I beat Regicide at level 36. I had just unlocked the Split Nova Bomb ability when I made the jump to Storm Caller.

Why no bounties? I remember first leveling up my hunter at launch and going to the tower all the time looking for new bounties.

I played 6 hours of Trials on Friday night. It was a lot of fun. I'll be back next week.

CWjl0qXUkAAJKEm.jpg

Had some great loot drops as well. Got INT/DISC gloves with Grenade Throw Dist/Scout Rifle reloader & from my gold package boots with INT/DISC with Sniper ammo. I rerolled my Alpha Lupi to get INT/DISC, Arc Armor and Sniper Reloader. Combined with my new Helmet from SRL and I'm now at T5 Int and T5 Disc. I have the perfect load out at this point.

I ran Striker with Scout/Sniper all of Friday night and did well. But at the same time, that loadout is doubling down on Mid-Long range engagements and I frequently felt vulernable in CQC. Shoulder Charge is for pushing mostly, so it's not helpful if I get pushed. And while the buffs to melee help, I was still getting out-melee'd be Warlocks from half the map away. I will say having T5 INT means I can get 2-3 Fist of Havocs in a match, which is nuts. I've had it as early as mid-round 2 and hot damn it's fun to smash some fools.

All that said, I'm still a bit uncertain about my play. I'm such a passive player. I like maintaining positional control, mostly because I have to when my thumb skill isn't great. Passive play doesn't feel like it's a good match for Striker. I'm rationalizing it to myself by saying Striker is still best in class for speed and thus best choice for positioning. And nothing beats smashing a Warlock resurrection as soon as he stands up. I do suppose the Striker super as I play, a Super counter, also plays into a passive style.

Part of me wonders if I'd do better as a Sunbreaker. Even, after the nerf, Hammers can be either great for aggression or support. I love, love, love my scout rifle. It's full-auto max stability with perfect balance. It fires faster than MIDA with the same impact. I don't have that direct comparison, but look how much better it is than Inward Lamp.

CTvj4-pWcAEIz8T.jpg

But I need something for close range. I feel like sniper is required for Trials, especially larger maps, not just because I trade too often with shotguns. So maybe I do have to give up my beloved Scout.

/randomtitanmusing

On mobile right now, but just wanted to say you played really well John. You had some great snipes and good communication. We faced some really tough teams at the end. I'm no Drizz, Rubenov, Wicked, Gunnerz, etc...but you are way better than you think. I'd run with you anytime!

You too Sentinal :)

SgtCobra

Personally I think it's ok right now. I wish auto rifles were better and I haven't tried hand cannons since the buff. Ever since The Taken King came out I've been using Scouts, Fusions, and what ever heavy.

Still miss the old SUROS Regime days though.
I'm more of an agressive player myself and Destiny has turned out into one passive mess. With everyone and their mom having a 1000 Yard Stare (the sniper which possess one of the highest aim assists in the game) people like me who are into fusions and shotties are completely lost. You can't turn around a corner without getting sniped by some camping asshole or people sniping you from fusion rifle ranges, and let's not talk about trials which is basically "let's snipe till we kill one opponent and then let's rush" gamemode, even more so than what it used to be back then.
I've been nagging a lot about this situation, and I'm sorry for that but it's just me who is disappointed that I can't really enjoy playing this game anymore and that's a shame.

I have nothing against people who prefer snipers, some people over here at DGAf have shown some amazing stuff while using those weapons. But this is taking it too far in my opinion, blinking shotgunners were a pain but rushing ahotgunners could at least be stopped. Having to deal with 4 people sniping on a straight pathway or while they're hardscoping a corner without using a sniper yourself is almost imposible.

And then there's the Qullims Terminus which kills at pulse rifle ranges...
The SUROS Regime days were better to be honest, not by much though. Let's not pretend they were the glory days of pvp lol. Remember the Mythoclast and other fusions?

What can Bungie do to fix this? Just lower the AA on certain snipers? And most importantly, what can people like me do without having to use any sniper?

You know, it seems like this game will never be balanced and perhaps I'll just have to deal with that. I only play 6v6 (mostly clash) and I've heard people consider that to be a chaotic mess.

LTWood12

CWjl0qXUkAAJKEm.jpg

CTvj4-pWcAEIz8T.jpg

/randomtitanmusing

Thanks so much for spending time Friday night trying to help me get the Doctrine. We fell short (due to getting matched against teams w/ much higher ELO from the very first match on), but it was fun.

Something for close range you say?
TAKdSYkh.jpg

Need to finish up a couple things on PS4 tonight if anyone is willing to help. Need Fresh Run Normal up to Oryx. Also Could use some help on the daily getting the ghosts.

I'll see if what I can run tonight. I haven't been able to attempt Cm Oryx yet nor do trials but I'll have to at least get 1 cm Oryx in tonight.

Edit:
Anybody gonna be running this tonight around 7pm cst?

I need to

Horohoro

I'll see if what I can run tonight. I haven't been able to attempt Cm Oryx yet nor do trials but I'll have to at least get 1 cm Oryx in tonight.

Edit:

I need to

My PSN is TechMemphis if you want to add me.
But I wont be home till a bit before that but after 7pm cst im good.

Kings Fall HM CM Oryx (Anybody got checkpoint?)
7PM (can start a little later if somebody needs to start a little later)
PS4

1) xplicitone
2) TechMemphis
3) rasengan1337
4)
5)
6)

Why no bounties? I remember first leveling up my hunter at launch and going to the tower all the time looking for new bounties.

We were trying very hard to not out level the game as it was given to us.

We stayed on track until the quests really started to open up. Basically, around level 9, we had so many options that there was no way to stay in level range of missions as they were given to us.

We finished the HoW and DB missions before the Black Garden Stuff, just because. That actually put is in a perfect place for TTK stuff, though.

We started TTK missions at level 25. So from this point forward, we were pretty much on level for most of the stuff, but mostly only because we did the Taken War: Petra missions as they were given to us. Meaning we did some patrols to go kill those Taken Zealots.

On mobile right now, but just wanted to say you played really well John. You had some great snipes and good communication. We faced some really tough teams at the end. I'm no Drizz, Rubenov, Wicked, Gunnerz, etc...but you are way better than you think. I'd run with you anytime!

You too Sentinal :)

WX57kNQ.gif

Thanks for saying that. Been making a conscious effort to improve my play, not get salty, etc. Was a lot of fun playing with you. My ELO started at 1000 and I'm up to 1240. Yours is in the 1600s, so I'm very flattered.

Thanks so much for spending time Friday night trying to help me get the Doctrine. We fell short (due to getting matched against teams w/ much higher ELO from the very first match on), but it was fun.

Something for close range you say?
(image of bullet hose)

As far as "unorthodox" choices go, I saw some folks talking about using Plan C as a defensive option. I kinda like that idea. I may give that a try this week sometime in Rumble.

PS4

1) xplicitone
2) TechMemphis
3) rasengan1337
4)
5)
6)
if graverobber's Titan or warlock can do it, I am down..need to check..

Edit: drizzay knows the answer..

Edit2: his Titan is ready accounting to his text.

Edit3: been awhile so mistakes might
will
be made what is the CM?

Namikaze1

Decided to go full IB armor across all 3. Hate the raid armor design. My alts will be dropping a light level or two. Only problem I have is that my Hunter will have very low Intellect with the gear on.

PS4

1) xplicitone
2) TechMemphis
3) rasengan1337
4) Saint9806
5) shiv2099
6) kreepmode

Run #2 afterwards:
1) xplicitone
2) iRawr/Grave (alt for #1)
3) Shiv2099
4)
5)
6)

Count me in!

Yeah, I need to run it.

I'm down. Have to run it on my Warlock still.

psn: kreepmode

Updated. Any CPs?

will
be made what is the CM?

"Your Titan is ready." It filled up but I'll most likely run it 2x (if the 1st goes well) so we can start another list for that!

CM is getting all 16 blights at once. One shotting Oryx! Either that or just not missing a blight but I'm not sure. I just know the 16-blights at once method haha

Saint9806

PS4

1) xplicitone
2) TechMemphis
3) rasengan1337
4) Saint9806
5) shiv2099
6) kreepmode

Run #2 afterwards)
1) xplicitone
3)
4)
5)
6)

Updated. Any CPs?

"Your Titan is ready." It filled up but I'll most likely run it 2x (if the 1st goes well) so we can start another list for that!

I have the CP.

Shiv47

PS4

1) xplicitone
2) TechMemphis
3) rasengan1337
4) Saint9806
5) shiv2099
6) kreepmode

Run #2 afterwards)
1) xplicitone
3)
4)
5)
6)

Updated. Any CPs?

!

I should have the CP. will do a second run as well if we can.

I'm more of an agressive player myself and Destiny has turned out into one passive mess. With everyone and their mom having a 1000 Yard Stare (the sniper which possess one of the highest aim assists in the game) people like me who are into fusions and shotties are completely lost. You can't turn around a corner without getting sniped by some camping asshole or people sniping you from fusion rifle ranges, and let's not talk about trials which is basically "let's snipe till we kill one opponent and then let's rush" gamemode, even more so than what it used to be back then.
I've been nagging a lot about this situation, and I'm sorry for that but it's just me who is disappointed that I can't really enjoy playing this game anymore and that's a shame.

I have nothing against people who prefer snipers, some people over here at DGAf have shown some amazing stuff while using those weapons. But this is taking it too far in my opinion, blinking shotgunners were a pain but rushing ahotgunners could at least be stopped. Having to deal with 4 people sniping on a straight pathway or while they're hardscoping a corner without using a sniper yourself is almost imposible.

And then there's the Qullims Terminus which kills at pulse rifle ranges...
The SUROS Regime days were better to be honest, not by much though. Let's not pretend they were the glory days of pvp lol. Remember the Mythoclast and other fusions?

What can Bungie do to fix this? Just lower the AA on certain snipers? And most importantly, what can people like me do without having to use any sniper?

You know, it seems like this game will never be balanced and perhaps I'll just have to deal with that. I only play 6v6 (mostly clash) and I've heard people consider that to be a chaotic mess.

6v6 will never ever ever feel balanced imo. It's just too uncontrolled, unless maybe if you're playing w a full fireteam. Otherwise the spawns will keep flipping loosey-goosey and your engagements will feel unpredictable.

As for Trials, passive play is definitely common (and successful). But it's far from required. Being super aggressive w Mida and shotguns is totally viable especially w Nightstalker or Striker, look at someone like Luminosity. As long as you have a coordinated team that pushes together you'll catch most teams by major surprise since passive is the meta. Just run people down w grenades, TLW, shotguns, even sidearms. Hell you can even play aggressive w a sniper, look at Krafty.

Personally I only like Trials because it's the only PvP that feels semi-controllable and predictable. You can make predictions, develop strategies accordingly and know what plays the other team will be making. Just don't get trapped in spawn sniping competitions. Play aggressive as a team so you can still get revives and team-shoot the enemies when you push. You still have to know the sniper lanes but don't challenge them whatsoever, use all the cover available to close the distance ASAP. Just my 2 cents.

TL;DR: Mida or TLW plus shotty is 100% viable in any PvP mode.

will
be made what is the CM?

That would be amazing if you could get his Titan just through the HM Oryx CM. He should be 304, so even a Totems thru Oryx run would be doable if you had the time. No worries if not of course. Just be the runner at Oryx and it should be groovy. Cross your fingers for a 320 helmet drop which would be amazing for his light level. Already have a 320 primary from his Hunters Oryx CM.

E92 M3

Decided to go full IB armor across all 3. Hate the raid armor design. My alts will be dropping a light level or two. Only problem I have is that my Hunter will have very low Intellect with the gear on.

All about aesthetics - raid is most ugly for the most part. On the Titan, I only use the raid legs which I love and everything else is infused.

ich00

PS4

1) xplicitone
2) TechMemphis
3) rasengan1337
4) Saint9806
5) shiv2099
6) kreepmode

Run #2 afterwards:
1) xplicitone
3) Shiv2099
4) ichabod00
5)
6)

I'll join for run 2, first run was too early

ocean

Banned
No CM going on soonish? I have the checkpoint and need that calcified fragment :(

I care very little about 320 drops and very much about Grimoire. Call me crazy.

Has this been discussed here?

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyThe...terview_with_jon_weisnewski_and_sage_merrill/

• Jon clarifies the changes to auto rifles - not every change is visible on screen.
  • Bungie is aware about the problems with matchmaking. No confirmation about changes.
  • Bungie is capable of replicating lag to ensure their playtests mirror what happens in the live game.
  • You can't just tweak one thing - imagine if JUST your favorite weapon was nerfed. That wouldn't feel good for players, and that's why it's important that every aspect gets looked at each patch.
  • High impact pulses can still two-burst low armor Guardians. The percentage listed to players was a byproduct of the actual change. The initial change was bullets-to-kill being reduced by one.
  • According to Jon, fusion rifles have yet to be "discovered".
  • Bungie often looks at the success and weapon usage from the top 10% of players and bottom 90% (among other variations) to ensure that changes make sense for all skill levels.
  • The resurgence of The Last Word is so far a positive thing, as far as Jon is concerned. It's a fun exotic and it's a good thing that people are enjoying it.
  • Just because a gun sees a lot of use, doesn't mean it's overpowered or giving players an advantage. 1000 Yard Stare sees a lot of usage, but player performance is right in the middle (1.o k/d). It's simply easy to get that's why it sees usage. The "aim assist debacle" has been overblown regarding that particular sniper.
  • Many debates occur at Bungie headquarters regarding rez-snipes and revive mechanics.
  • The range stat on fusion rifles directly affects bolt speed. Higher range, higher bolt speed.

Edit: In other news I tried using my Plan C for the first time since before Dark Below yesterday. It was a god damn nightmare... I've never had a weapon have that much pull on it. 1HKO range is closer than shotgun range unless you get lucky and the enemy jumps as you shot them.

Run #2 afterwards:
1) xplicitone
3) Shiv2099
4)
5)
6)

Updated. Any CPs?

CM is getting all 16 blights at once. One shotting Oryx! Either that or just not missing a blight but I'm not sure. I just know the 16-blights at once method haha
Welp misread either way let me know. I should be around during that time.

Trakan

Fusion rifles have yet to be "discovered." Riiiight. That Jon guy is turning into Deej. With that line and the AR/PR stat numbers, I'm starting to think they need someone else in charge of weapon balancing. I haven't liked Sage's game balancing since Reach.

Top Bottom