• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

E92 M3

Nah, Vex reclaim Mercury, new element damage is introduced (Hydro). Basically, Gaurdians arrive to extinguish the Vex with super water guns.

Day. Fucking. One.

Hydro would actually be a cool new element. We would need more vault space for the new guns, though
CSfK203UAAAkwID.png:large

I'm not even worried about this year. The problem is next year.

Bungie really vitally needs to get out there and start setting expectations for this fall's release. Like, what are we going to get?

Is it going to Destiny 2? Like dropping last gen, more vault space, better performance, etc?

Or is this going to be WoW and there won't be substantial technical updates to the engine for the next 5 years.

Because left unmanaged, people are going just daydreaming up 60fps Dedicated Servers Infinite Vault Space Double Raid dreams.

Expectations are the mindkiller. And Bungie just has no clue on this.

And what's really weird is that their community management department is relatively large. What do urk, deej and cozmo do throughout the day, anyway? Because it's not community management...

No clue. Somebody's running the twitter account liking to Community creations page stuff. They have 3 people. I would expect the Weekly Update to go up like clockwork on Thursdays. It's only a couple hundred words. Rarely does it have anything time sensitive. It's just weird.

They most likely talk to Bungie's business partners.

And they spend time "listening" to the feedback and communicating it to the developers. They often "listen" without talking to us about it.

I hit a point last year when I was sick to death of Bungie saying "we're listening." Listening means nothing if you don't talk.

I still think that Year 2, Bungie's leadership is just utterly terrified of Destiny. They investing millions and millions in the game, but year one was rough. Two expansion packs nearly killed them & weren't well received. Year 2 they're doing contradistinctions and I'm sure they have Activision watching over their shoulder the entire time.

They're getting a better sense of what the game is and what people want, but they're so scared to let it be that and to let players have fun with the game. It's why there's sooooo much grind. It's why the loot drops are so terrible. It's why they don't announce schedules. It's why they only response in the absolute minimum way to any problem in the game.

I've never seen a community as awesome or one as salty. The salt is largely self-inflicted by Bungie.

My biggest worry when I first started playing the Beta was that Bungie's culture of secrecy, which is fun when you make singleplayer games with some fun multiplayer is the absolute worst to have for an MMO or living world game. And man, were my fears right.

Talk us to death, Bungie. Don't be scared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TApuihxNsKU

(context for non-West Wing fans. Arnold Vinnick is the GOP front runner after Bartlett's term. A powerplant he approved has a meltdown. Everyone advises him to ignore it and all the questions. Instead he goes to the plant, and just takes question after question. Talks the reporters to death. Stays on message, doesn't hide. And well, check the clip.)

Edit: Also, the Diablo & Starcraft Community & Dev teams are amazing at community management.

neoism

This is where providing a clear roadmap, even for the very near term, would be useful. They seem to be in a mode of announcing things immediately before they come out, which means players have nothing to look ahead to. I literally have no idea what to expect other than two "events" of various sizes over the next five months.

Their communication in 2015 was really bad. I really hope they take a different approach this year.

first step: get a new community manager...

No clue. Somebody's running the twitter account liking to Community creations page stuff. They have 3 people. I would expect the Weekly Update to go up like clockwork on Thursdays. It's only a couple hundred words. Rarely does it have anything time sensitive. It's just weird.

While I'm sure they have other duties, their job as community manager is to relay information to the community and vice versa. They should be the voice that expresses the concerns of their dedicated fan base to the developers. In my opinion they should be quite active on their forums and the other fan sites, like Planet Destiny. It's likely that, between the 3 of them, that the next blog post has already been written, and while I would expect it promptly on that Thursday morning I know that we won't see until late in the afternoon.

I really do love playing this game, but sometimes their attitude toward the community that keeps them afloat is disheartening. I understand that they can't be open-mouth about everything, but some kind of interaction would be nice. Interaction that aren't links from the Community Creations page.

just started playing ESO... anyone else here still play that?

I just started playing that last weekend, too! I'm kind of addicted to it. I'm currently Rank 11 in the Daggerfall Covenant.

E92 M3

We just need a post from Luke Smith outlining what Bungie has learned for the future. That'll satiate everyone for a good 4 months.

Give us hope, Luke.

WavyStretch

Neo Member
IB shotgun is slightly better than Party Crasher now, but even harder to get.

I really don't think it is, can't be range capped, even with rifled/reinforced and fieldchoke, the barrel with the biggest range boost. A PC+1 fires almost as quickly and can hit range cap while having almost as much impact as the CTD.

Lima

Just yesterday in doubles I saw a guy with a party crasher. Aggressive ballistics, rangefinder, rifled barrel and final round. I was about to lose my shit. Then I proceeded to wreck him with my Conspiracy Theory D and all was good in the world.

Trakan

I really don't think it is, can't be range capped, even with rifled/reinforced and fieldchoke, the barrel with the biggest range boost. A PC+1 fires almost as quickly and can hit range cap while having almost as much impact as the CTD.

Yeah they're nearly identical. I just figure at the range cap you're unlikely to one-shot anyway, so you might as well get the faster follow-up shot.

E92 M3

Just yesterday in doubles I saw a guy with a party crasher. Aggressive ballistics, rangefinder, rifled barrel and final round. I was about to lose my shit. Then I proceeded to wreck him with my Conspiracy Theory D and all was good in the world.

Shotguns are like a Glioblastoma, no matter how much nerfing (radiation) or tweaking (surgical removal) Bungie does, they won't go away lol.

Lima

Shotguns are like a Glioblastoma, no matter how much nerfing (radiation) or tweaking (surgical removal) Bungie does, they won't go away lol.

And why should they. Destiny PvP was the most fun when blink shotgun was OP. Sweats back then were so cool with snipers and then the "warriors".

The game is now far more balanced as far as weapons go but it's also not as fun to play anymore.

E92 M3

And why should they. Destiny PvP was the most fun when blink shotgun was OP. Sweats back then were so cool with snipers and then the "warriors".

The game is now far more balanced as far as weapons go but it's also not as fun to play anymore.

Not saying they should, just a funny observation that Bungie is actively trying their best and nothing is working. Yes, I agree that the balance made it a lot less fun to play. I get enough balanced play from Halo 5 and want something a little crazier from the other shooters.

Still standby the fact that HoW had the most fun PVP.

Tri4

Shotguns will probably never go away until they're removed entirely. The reason why shotguns are so popular is because they're easy to use but they're also 1HKOs often. This isn't a problem for games like CoD because those games don't have shields and so even regular guns kill as fast as a machine gun would in Destiny. That's why running up to people (while they're shooting you) and shotgunning them is viable. If you tried that in CoD you'd die before you took 2 steps.

Also because they're secondaries you can carry them around as back up while in CoD they're basically primaries so you only have a close range option.

Lima

I mean it was kinda a love and hate relationship.

It was more fun but sniper shotguns and double 111's across the map with TLW and double tapping with Thorn was annoying as shit. Not a day went by without complaining. How do they say it. You only realize how much you love something when it is gone.

ocean

Banned
House of Wolves had:

- Both Raids + PoE being relevant
- Super generous Legendary drops in PvP
- A level playing field - re rolling meant nobody could have an advantage over me just because they were lucky
- True horizontal progress - you could instantly make anything max level. This meant multiple armor sets for different play styles
- Fast-paced action: None of this lame tap tap tap PR/MIDA nonsense. Games were fun to play and fun to watch.
- We had good perks, like Special Weapon Loader. Now the perk pools are polluter with a million bullshit perks on guns which are hyper circumstantial (4 seconds of extra agility if three enemies are nearby and they have 30 to 45% of their super bar filled up and it's a Wednesday afternoon!)

I could go on but I'll get too salty.

TBH the only things which I feel are better now than they used to be are:
- Exotic quests because fuck relying on RNG. Remember NarmerQuest - shit was unjustifiable.
- 3oC and Glass Needles - beautiful additions, 10/10
- Kiosks
- Swords
...yeah that's about it.

I played Crota's End hard for fun yesterday for the first time since TTK, with my nephew's buddies. One of them got a GHorn from Deathsingers and was like ehh whatever. Sad days. To me, it's still super cool since it still holds all that nostalgia of how awesome it was in year 1. I miss year 1. I miss NIghtfalls mostly giving awesome loot. I miss raid having awesome weapons. I miss PvP being really fun. I miss when this thread was lively and exciting, talking about our new findings and strats for different things, etc. Oh the good old days.

Normally this is like talking about the 90s, but it was only a year ago for this.

I still don't have an exotic sword. I love swords, but the grind for it is opposite of love. If most of the grind was fun, then I would do it. But running around in circles collecting mats is the epitome of counting to a million from 0

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Two weeks + 1 day until the bwupdate. I'm hoping a sizable announcement, but expecting an event. It sucks that the game is basically running itself right now. RNG all end game contentment and modifiers yay!

I mean it was kinda a love and hate relationship.

It was more fun but sniper shotguns and double 111's across the map with TLW and double tapping with Thorn was annoying as shit. Not a day went by without complaining. How do they say it. You only realize how much you love something when it is gone.
R.I.P The Last Word.

spyder_ur

Some serious rose tinted glasses going on with some responses with regards to year 1.

The game is much better now, IMO. I just wish there was some vision for the future.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Some serious rose tinted glasses going on with some responses with regards to year 1.

The game is much better now, IMO. I just wish there was some vision for the future.
You can call it rose tinted of whatever. RNG did suck for exotics but activities had purpose back then and most events mattered. Now it's kind of like there's no reason to play anymore.

spyder_ur

You can call it rose tinted of whatever. RNG did suck for exotics but activities had purpose back then and most events mattered. Now it's kind of like there's no reason to play anymore.

Yeah, it's definitely in a lull. But, for example, what were all these events that "mattered" when Crota HM was the defining end game activity? Or late in HoW era when I had 40+ etheric light wasting away, all raid/IB/Trials weapons, and nothing to upgrade?

We play a lot here and we tend to run through the content until it's repetitive and to some extent 'pointless'. It doesn't feel that different to me this time except I actually think they did a better job with TTK spacing out content. The problem is it's now January and there's nothing on the horizon.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yeah, it's definitely in a lull. But, for example, were all these events that mattered when Crota HM was the defining end game activity? Or late in HoW era when I had 40+ etheric light wasting away, all raid/IB/Trials weapons, and nothing to upgrade?

We play a lot here and we tend to run through the content until it's repetitive and to some extent 'pointless'. It doesn't feel that different to me this time except I actually think they did a better job with TTK spacing out content. The problem is it's now January and there's nothing on the horizon.
that is also a good point. It's not just the design of the end game content and how it matters right now. It's also that there's no content to look forward to in he near future. By this time last year we had two raids and chatter about another dlc on the way. Now we just have events

EL CUCO

Doubles are fun but not on those bigger maps like Frontier, Crossroads, Vertigo. It's like they just threw a standard random rotation with no consideration of complimenting the game mode.

E92 M3

I played Crota's End hard for fun yesterday for the first time since TTK, with my nephew's buddies. One of them got a GHorn from Deathsingers and was like ehh whatever. Sad days. To me, it's still super cool since it still holds all that nostalgia of how awesome it was in year 1. I miss year 1. I miss NIghtfalls mostly giving awesome loot. I miss raid having awesome weapons. I miss PvP being really fun. I miss when this thread was lively and exciting, talking about our new findings and strats for different things, etc. Oh the good old days.

Normally this is like talking about the 90s, but it was only a year ago for this.

I still don't have an exotic sword. I love swords, but the grind for it is opposite of love. If most of the grind was fun, then I would do it. But running around in circles collecting mats is the epitome of counting to a million from 0

I was thinking the same thing that being nostalgic for Year 1 feels like thinking about the 90s! Year 1 was flawed, but we had weapons everyone wanted and drops that felt magical. Gjallarhorn videos were a thing of magic.

Our very own Noomi made a nice compilation video.

One of the weirdest, nonsensical things in Destiny is getting 320 and 310 artifacts from cm EVERY SINGLE TIME. Why in the world were ghosts and class items not included in that pool? Smh.

One of the weirdest, nonsensical things in Destiny is getting 320 and 310 artifacts from cm EVERY SINGLE TIME. Why in the world were ghosts and class items not included in that pool? Smh.

someone probably copied/pasted the database entries as placeholders, but then forgot to update them when it went into prod.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I agree. Challenge mode loot pool needs fixing for artifacts. I'm still stuck with 310 ghosts.

Some people's definition of fun is clearly wildly different than mine. House of Wolves crucible meta was more fun? You liked every primary being either thorn or last word? You liked sniper-shotguns? You liked people closing the gap instantly on you with blink paired with sniper-shotguns, and being able to fire immediately? You liked final round snipers? How about a team of three bladedancers in trials, with lucky rasberry and arcbolt grenades? Was moving around the map with your screen constantly green because of thorn fun? How about getting two shot from sniper distance by thorn, and then just waiting to die from the poison? How much did you love the near instantaneous death by the last word when you get hit by two 111 damage ADS headshots from across the map?

Destiny is a very mediocre PVP experience, and it always has been. I at least feel that it's moving in the right direction. I don't think it will ever be great, though, there's too much bullshit that can't be taken away since it would fundamentally change the heart of the game. I'm just glad there's slightly less bullshit than before.

WipedOut

I agree. Challenge mode loot pool needs fixing for artifacts. I'm still stuck with 310 ghosts.

It should have been:

Warpriest - 310/320 Artifacts
Golgoroth - 310/320 Ghost
Oryx - 310/320 Class Item.

Another bungle by Bungie.

Some people's definition of fun is clearly wildly different than mine. House of Wolves crucible meta was more fun? You liked every primary being either thorn or last word? You liked sniper-shotguns? You liked people closing the gap instantly on you with blink paired with sniper-shotguns, and being able to fire immediately? You liked final round snipers? How about a team of three bladedancers in trials, with lucky rasberry and arcbolt grenades? Was moving around the map with your screen constantly green because of thorn fun? How about getting two shot from sniper distance by thorn, and then just waiting to die from the poison? How much did you love the near instantaneous death by the last word when you get hit by two 111 damage ADS headshots from across the map?

Destiny is a very mediocre PVP experience, and it always has been. I at least feel that it's moving in the right direction. I don't think it will ever be great, though, there's too much bullshit that can't be taken away since it would fundamentally change the heart of the game. I'm just glad there's slightly less bullshit than before.

They went a little over board with taking away too much customization. They should have left in the re-rolling of weapons. Other than that, Crucible is more balanced than it has ever been. People want to bitch because they don't like change. I enjoy it more than I ever have and I used to downright hate crucible.

Another thing they seem to have nerfed to hell is the rewards. It was probably the one thing HoW got really right. Crucible felt rewarding at the end of the game.

Raven117

I was thinking the same thing that being nostalgic for Year 1 feels like thinking about the 90s! Year 1 was flawed, but we had weapons everyone wanted and drops that felt magical. Gjallarhorn videos were a thing of magic.

Our very own Noomi made a nice compilation video.

But the question is whether you want to go back to those days where the real progression of your character (g-horn, fatebringer, blackhammer) was dependent on rather stingy RNG?

I say no.

I like the way they handled the exotics in year 2. Everytime I logged on, I was able to move the ball forward on some exotic quest...Though it may have been cumbersome to look for mats for the swords, at least you knew it was coming, and about how long it would take. This respects the players time a lot more than RNG. I grinded for months for Hawkmoon...I hated that. I ran 3 nightfalls, ran 6 raids a week chasing that gun. That was beyond silly.

Bungie did make better strides on the acquiring of exotics, but totally screwed up end game gear in Y2. (The Double RNG thing).

Plus, pve weapons became so boring to use..even the raid ones. I know Bungie wanted to "level the playing field" for pve, but they went way too far. Nothing felt fun or exciting.

The also screwed up with the lack of content for the endgame of y2. In vanilla, we were looking at two raids within 4 months. That DOUBLED end-game play time.

In the end...they did 4 things wrong:

(1) They dropped the endgame content to only one activity (not counting pvp)
(2) They made the guns you received at the completion of end game, boring to use (pve and pvp)
(3) They made doubled down on Double RNG for the last bit of light requirement.
(5) Bugs, glitches and lag are getting worse.

stay gold

The path to endgame was made better for sure. Actual endgame kinda sucks in y2 though due to the fact that there aren't any good weapons to play for, due to that i've ran 2 or 3 NM raids and the Golgoroth challenge on HM and don't really see any reason to play PVE over Crucible when I log on anymore.

And why should they. Destiny PvP was the most fun when blink shotgun was OP.
Yeah no. It was annoying and frustrating.

Hell, Blink is still annoying. God damned teleportation has no place in what is supposed to be a competitive mode. It's such an overpowered crutch that can let absolutely anyone escape certain death that no other jump ability would.

Gahhh it frustrates me endlessly, especially being a Titan. Sure do love being the only class that can't pull this BS! Sunbreakers should have had Blink to complete the triangle.

Though admittedly I'd rather be Blink shotgunned than the current meta of "everyone hardscoping down every hallway of the map with snipers".

Honestly PvP would be so much more fun if special weapons were just outright dropped. Destiny's health is near that of Halo's, it's not insta-kill like COD. So having everyone spawn with these 1HKO weapons just breaks the primary play. It's all about shotguns and snipers. I have Gears of War for when I want to play Shotguns: The Game, I'd like to enjoy a round of Destiny without having some ass eat my bullets, run right through them, and kill me with one shot.

Top Bottom