• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

Eirene AA is very low, ~20. 1kYS is 56, 71 w Shortgaze.

If people do better w Eirene than 1k it's because they don't do fast, drag scope snipes ala Krafty. Sniper AA really only helps for these playstyles due to reticle slowdown, it's not gonna help slower more deliberate snipers who try to line up shots before firing.
I think that really does sum up why people can argue about the effect of aim assist. I am a more deliberate sniper and I miss headshots by a pixel length all the time. When that happens, I wish the game had more aim assist!

Personally, I find 1ks hard to use. I came from killzone shadow fall which had zero aim assist. And for me I hit headshots easier with other snipers, the Eirenne for example. No idea on the aim assist stat for it but I reckon it's lower than 1ks.

Snipers are ridiculously easy to use in destiny. I've hit shots before that I have no right in hitting.

Eirene AA is very low, ~20. 1kYS is 56, 71 w Shortgaze.

If people do better w Eirene than 1k it's because they don't do fast, drag scope snipes ala Krafty. Sniper AA really only helps for these playstyles due to reticle slowdown, it's not gonna help slower more deliberate snipers who try to line up shots before firing.

Huh. That sheds some light for me. I also prefer the Eirene AA. Thanks for the insight, Boguester.

Trakan

Is what this guy has to say completely bs? I'm not being facetious.

He's not lying when he describes the mechanics of sniping. Aim assist does not curve the bullet to hit the head. It does however slow down the reticle while aiming over the person's head, essentially "magnetizing" the reticle to their head.

So appeals to authority aren't valid because you can appeal to your own authority? That doesn't make much sense. It's better to actually look at the claims made rather than who is making them. Better players than Twilight have been divided on the topic, so there really is no endgame if we're looking at who instead of what.

There is no point in looking at what is being said. Its a subjective thing, that much has been made clear by the pointless arguments i have seem and had here on this thread. I can play this game and play any other shooter and tell you the AA in this game is crazy high compared to pretty much anything and someone just comes and say no that's not right snipers are just fine where they are, they are difficult to use whatever etc etc. There's no middle ground here, folks on either side of this fence will never persuade one another, we are looking at the same facts and taking opposite conclusions, there's not much to be said.

I think the sharp uptick in the amount of people using snipers that we've seen after the 2.0 patch is enough evidence to argue that they have gotten significantly easier to use.

I see both sides of the exotic debate. But I'll never forget checking reddit at 6 am one friday last January and seeing Ice Breaker listed. Both T-44 and I had been wanting it more than anything else since the week after it was originally sold the month of launch. I texted him and we both flipped the fuck out. So much fun. I miss moments like that.

Exactly! I had the same experience.

A pure RNG system like Destiny's makes sense when there's a ton of good stuff to get.

Narmer's Horn, Noomi's Hawkmoon, Raybunzy's 4th Horseman, Drizzay's Thunderlord... These were just frustrating and unfair situations where someone played as much as I (or more!) but was left waiting for a super long time just because randomness

Something that's beyond debate is that no matter the rarity or means of acquisition, the number of desirable exotic gear has to increase dramatically.

Dedicated players not getting their white whales was certainly frustrating and unfair, I myself didn't get a GHorn until well after HM Crota, but the famous hunts added interest and fun to the community. I wanted to be in Narmer's fireteam when he got his Horn, I jumped into a strike with Noomi just to congratulate him on his Hawkmoon, and I waited eagerly for Drizzay's Thunderlord post.

If Destiny is to function as an addictive loot game as I'd like, treasured gear must be "rare." I need a carrot on a stick.

ocean

Banned
I think the sharp uptick in the amount of people using snipers that we've seen after the 2.0 patch is enough evidence to argue that they have gotten significantly easier to use.
Not necessarily. You can't establish how good or easy something is in a vacuum - things are only viable insofar as they compare to alternatives.

The rise of snipers has to do with many things, but I'd contend the most important aspects are the significant range need to quick-killing HCs like Thorn and TLW, along with the reduced effectiveness of one-shot Shotgun range.

God I hate having to get 800 more kills on my warlock for grimoire. I play like trash on my warlock. .

And nope, I'm leaving every game if my teammates don't know how to play the objective or revive. It is not fun losing. If I was on the opposing side I would not care since I get my win.

Lima

I mean it is a pointless discussion. Snipers complain about shotguns because they take no skill.

Shotgun users saying that the 1k stare basically aims itself comes down to the same point in that they require not much skill.

Was playing Wicher 3 and looking at picking up the expansion. This review had a pretty good burn:

CXx4ljSWMAABUHY.png

Witcher 3 is sooooo good, though. And so is Diablo 3 and the new 2.4 patch.

There's never been a better time to stop playing Destiny.

So anyone for Trials on Friday?

Witcher 3 so good. Put in 200 hours in the last 10 days, still so much left to do. The amount of effort and detail gone into every character, every dialogue, every side quest is phenomenal.

Also the game looks like a dream. Actual screenshot I took on ps4 few days ago (now my wallpaper):

I am definetly getting the expansion for Witcher 3. Finally have been getting into it now that I have all this downtime with no Destiny taking up most of my play time. The game is just beautiful and deep in every part. I just love wandering off into the land because its so mesmerizing. Definetly the first game this gen to make me say wow many times.

Yeah the game is gorgeous and has so many memorable moments, and the writing is top notch. DLC totally worth it, I picked up the season pass when I bought the game as it was 50% off that time :p

is witcher worth getting on consoles? keep reading about how pc version is so much better

Absolutely. The only downside is loading times (~45 seconds) in big areas like Novigrad, and frame rate sometimes drops, but only for a second or two.

Lima

I always wondered, but why do people laugh when I say I use the Spindle in pvp? Is there something wrong with it?
No.

It's just a weird choice for PvP. Low magazine size, not much aim assist, low stability etc.

Also people generally don't want to use an exotic as their special cause they use an exotic primary.

Finally got my Hammer of the Ancient Barbarian build finished. Hammer smashing for up to 10 Billion is delicious. They nail the power fantasy in that game. They also have so many diverse builds. There aren't really builds in Destiny. I really hope Destiny 2 brings some real variety.

Yes, that's probably the one thing I'd want more of.
I think weapons like Tlaloc are a step in the right direction, but there should be more elements to really capitalize, or uses for them.

Like the Nighthawk, I only use this on my gunslinger and can't miss, but if I had an armor piece that say, turned me invisible upon activation, or released chain lighting in an area upon crit or kill, or changed the damage to poison when combined with Vanish in Smoke, or summoned a clone that does 50% extra damage if crit, it'd make things more interesting to use.

As it stands now, I can only get a few orbs, or kill/damage one guy. It's useful, but to really expand, the system needs a bit more to exploit. It's already ruined me for other shooters, so I'd like to see more experimentation.

Not necessarily. You can't establish how good or easy something is in a vacuum - things are only viable insofar as they compare to alternatives.

The rise of snipers has to do with many things, but I'd contend the most important aspects are the significant range need to quick-killing HCs like Thorn and TLW, along with the reduced effectiveness of one-shot Shotgun range.

Snipers have always complimented hand cannons well with their range, the only difference is now snipers have to fill a larger range due to the reduced hand cannon range. As for shotguns initially after 2.0 practically nothing changed. All that was done was having shot package removed. The last balance patch nerfed them a bit more but still left the issue, which is the highest impact archetype being what it is.

I agree that balance doesn't exist in a vacuum, but I believe the increase in sniper use is not mainly the result of other weapons being nerfed so much as the increase in usability of what has always been the most powerful weapon in the game.

Deku Tree

No.

It's just a weird choice for PvP. Low magazine size, not much aim assist, low stability etc.

Also people generally don't want to use an exotic as their special cause they use an exotic primary.

Nghtly was using the black hammer as his main weapon in ToO during the HoW days while he was the top PS4 ToO player.

I always wondered, but why do people laugh when I say I use the Spindle in pvp? Is there something wrong with it?

Use what you are comfortable with, but know there is no benefit to using spindle in PvP. The only time spindle will do anything that a 1kys can't is rez sniping a Ram wearing warlock who just self rezzed. Other than that you have an exotic slot in use, slow RoF, fewer rounds in the magazine, and an ugly scope.

Nghtly was using the black hammer as his main weapon in ToO during the HoW days while he was the top PS4 ToO player.

Nghtly would have used a white sniper if he could have. The dude is a fantastic sniper regardless of the weapon so him using black hammer means very little.

Lima

Would he have used it if it was exotic? You know the answer to that question.

Also Warlocks with Ram get sniped by 1k when they self res. Stop spreading this myth. This was never true. Not even in Y1 before the Ram nerf.

Yes, that's probably the one thing I'd want more of.
I think weapons like Tlaloc are a step in the right direction, but there should be more elements to really capitalize, or uses for them.

Like the Nighthawk, I only use this on my gunslinger and can't miss, but if I had an armor piece that say, turned me invisible upon activation, or released chain lighting in an area upon crit or kill, or changed the damage to poison when combined with Vanish in Smoke, or summoned a clone that does 50% extra damage if crit, it'd make things more interesting to use.

As it stands now, I can only get a few orbs, or kill/damage one guy. It's useful, but to really expand, the system needs a bit more to exploit. It's already ruined me for other shooters, so I'd like to see more experimentation.

The best thing the D3 team was abandon PvP. The insistence of the Bungie sandbox team to keep the player abilities the same across PvE and PvP is what makes PvE so bland. I really, really want to see PvE only abilities. Like just what you said.

Witcher 3 so good. Put in 200 hours in the last 10 days, still so much left to do. The amount of effort and detail gone into every character, every dialogue, every side quest is phenomenal.

Also the game looks like a dream. Actual screenshot I took on ps4 few days ago (now my wallpaper):

Yeah the game is gorgeous and has so many memorable moments, and the writing is top notch. DLC totally worth it, I picked up the season pass when I bought the game as it was 50% off that time :p

Absolutely. The only downside is loading times (~45 seconds) in big areas like Novigrad, and frame rate sometimes drops, but only for a second or two.

You got that sweet mastercrafted bear armor yet?

E92 M3

Not really. Its a very powerful gun in the right hands (and extremely annoying to go against during an agressive super).

I would use the Invective all the time against thermal Titans before the nerf. An amazingly annoying weapon which rendered a lot of hate mail.

Top Bottom