• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

darknil

I miss Etheric Light.

There was a method for at least 1 Etheric Light per character per week, no RNG. I'll always remember getting an EL just for my Vision of Confluence and start using it again after 2 months.

Now I unlocked the Boolean Gemini, I liked it in a test run but infusing it to be able to be used on endgame content was just... too expensive and RNG based (depending if Oryx wants to give you a primary weapon good to infuse is.. well bs)

I miss shotguns on PvE, never used them on PvP but it was just too satisfying killing minotaurs with a void shotgun.

Oh, Gally, the only exotic I liked using along with TLW, now I don't even use exotics on my main.

I am very confident that they will improve the light system. First step might be making infusion a 1:1 transfer. That would be a huge step forward.

bJLZQrS.gif

(I still love you E92, I just love this gif.)

That would be amazing, but that will never happen. Bungie hates player progress.

• #Forever29
  • Needing shards to level gear
  • Rexurbishing
  • Fixing CE cheese immediately & fixing glitches that hurt players much later
  • Taking 5 months to fix heavy ammo glitch
  • Commendations
  • Getting nothing but mouldering shards
  • Having to rebuy & level the exotics we already have for year 2
  • Current infusion system
  • The exotic infusion system is even more punishing for Exotics
They'll definitely tweak it. There's so much friction right now. And to be clear, Bungie doesn't hate players themeselves. They've definitely gotten friendlier to progress since TDB. They just don't believe we'll stick around without a real grind.

I've just been thinking more and more on it and philosophically it's a really bad system in Year 2. It makes item level the most important thing about your character, which is dumb.

Like Diablo even has multiple endgame item levels thanks to Ancients. But if you inspect my Diablo character it doesn't have a huge 72pt font # that says "this toon's average item level is 70.2". You can't even tell which item is ancient unless you mouse over each one.

We need a totally new endgame.

tumblr_mot6qiuIrX1sqpjgto1_400.gif

Axoman

They'll definitely tweak it. There's so much friction right now. And to be clear, Bungie doesn't hate players themeselves. They've definitely gotten friendlier to progress since TDB. They just don't believe we'll stick around without a real grind.

Oh, they will tweak it. We'll have an entirely new system whenever the new game comes out.

Is it too late for me to start playing Diablo 3 on PS4? I see a lot of DGAF members play it.

The new patch is amazing and added so much. It's never too late. I've been playing off and on for years. Always feel good playing it.

Come to think of it. The only game that's changed more than Destiny has is Diablo. Even core systems. So maybe my fears are unfounded.

Edit: I'm on PC, btw. One day I'll pick the PS4 copy.

edukate

Bungie listens to the feedback- to an extent. SRL is a prime example of players voicing 'what if...' And Bungie delivering a year later... :-|

However, their community engagement is downright horrendous and needs a new direction-- that direction being transparency.

The new patch is amazing and added so much. It's never too late. I've been playing off and on for years. Always feel good playing it.

Come to think of it. The only game that's changed more than Destiny has is Diablo. Even core systems. So maybe my fears are unfounded.

Edit: I'm on PC, btw. One day I'll pick the PS4 copy.

man... .bungie already forgot the lesson they "learned" from the Diablo III dev team.... *smh*

still smh....

Deku Tree

Watching ScarDrow do CE NM Solo speed runs with Titan with TG. Guy is very fast, and he always dies at the DS. If he survives that part then it is usually close to the WR.

Is it too late for me to start playing Diablo 3 on PS4? I see a lot of DGAF members play it.

Never played D3, but my main issue with trying it out is that you should expect massive online loot cheating in D3 because your save is held locally on your PS4.

Some lead designers of Diablo 3 definitely need to sit down with devs from Bungie again and see if they learn the lesson regarding endgame permanently now.

The parallels were uncanny; Diablo III had launched to commercial success in 2012 but saw a great deal of criticism from fans thanks to randomized loot, frustrating online DRM, and a lack of endgame content. Both games shared a publisher, Activision, that thought Destiny could redeem itself in fans’ eyes the way Diablo III eventually had after its release.

“They basically came in and said, ‘Look, here’s our story of developing Diablo III and then bringing in [the expansion] Reaper of Souls,’” said one person who was at the Blizzard talk. “They were saying, like, ‘Hey, random numbers are not fun—dice rolls are not fun. You can give the illusion of randomness, but you want to weight it towards the player… The only point you have to deliver on is that when people leave your game—because they will—when they leave your game, they need to be happy.’”​

man... .bungie already forgot the lesson they "learned" from the Diablo III dev team.... *smh*

Does anyone leave Destiny happy? I know Bungie talked a big game about this in the lead up to Taken King, but it doesn't feel like it. People leave frustrated still.

xcp8q.jpg

E92 M3

No, just no, they need to go back to solid numbers for LL, Should have been 310 for Normal and 320 for Hard, none of this 311-319 Crap. As for Infusion, if you pump a 320 into a 310 it should go to 320, as you say 1:1 ratio. This alone would probably bring homeslice back, well won't go that far but it would be a great start.

Honestly, it would be best if they revise the whole system, but keep the best aspect of light: The difficulty level increases on a very subtle curve. Much better than the huge penalty we had back in the day.

I agree Trance.

I use the same few weapons. It's ridiculous. They got rid of elemental primaries in hopes of increasing variety, but for me, it's had the opposite effect.

I have a lot of weapons that may be good, but most are in the 280 range and I don't have the infusion materials to level them up. So, I never give them the time of day.

The infusion system really went backwards from Etheric light:
1. The penalty to infuse gear is too much, you should get full attack/defense value from the weapon/armor you are infusing and it shouldn't take so many other materials. You are already losing the weapon parts/armor materials from the piece you are using for the infusion, then on top of that, it costs you even more to perform the infusion.

2. The game is just too stingy when it comes to loot drops. We need more frequent higher level drops to keep up the infusion supply. If I could reliably end efficiently get all my gear to max level, I'd probably use a lot more stuff, but it is just too costly for me to infuse everything I get up to max level.

Infusion in theory is a good idea, knowing you'll be able to carry your favorite stuff throughout the year is a good thing, but the implementation of the infusion system needs some changes.

Most likely - and I don't know how - they didn't anticipate that this new system will completely hamper multiple builds. Trying new stuff is a hassle and getting gear isn't exciting. What do people get excited about these days? 320. We get excited about math in a loot game. Math shouldn't be the main star. First comes the loot and then the math associated with it.

bJLZQrS.gif

(I still love you E92, I just love this gif.)

That would be amazing, but that will never happen. Bungie hates player progress.

• #Forever29
  • Needing shards to level gear
  • Rexurbishing
  • Fixing CE cheese immediately & fixing glitches that hurt players much later
  • Taking 5 months to fix heavy ammo glitch
  • Commendations
  • Getting nothing but mouldering shards
  • Having to rebuy & level the exotics we already have for year 2
  • Current infusion system
  • The exotic infusion system is even more punishing for Exotics

I've just been thinking more and more on it and philosophically it's a really bad system in Year 2. It makes item level the most important thing about your character, which is dumb.

Like Diablo even has multiple endgame item levels thanks to Ancients. But if you inspect my Diablo character it doesn't have a huge 72pt font # that says "this toon's average item level is 70.2". You can't even tell which item is ancient unless you mouse over each one.

We need a totally new endgame.

tumblr_mot6qiuIrX1sqpjgto1_400.gif

Haha, love you too, but I am very optimistic about the future. The TTK introduced some massive improvements to story missions and I am expecting Year 3 to revitalize the investment system. Also, we have the mysterious February update lol.

Axoman

It's as though Bungie is afraid to just let the game keep players playing on it's own. They feel they have to put all the artificial barriers in to increase the grind and keep people playing.

At the core, Destiny is a great game, but it appears Bungie just can't let loose and remove the extra grind and just let us play. They are afraid that if the loot is too generous, people won't keep playing. But, I know I'd play a lot more if it was more generous.

WYL just yells at his viewers all day and tells them that their stupid arguments make no sense.

Dont know why anyone would watch him, so obnoxious.

It's as though Bungie is afraid to just let the game keep players playing on it's own. They feel they have to put all the artificial barriers in to increase the grind and keep people playing.

At the core, Destiny is a great game, but it appears Bungie just can't let loose and remove the extra grind and just let us play. They are afraid that if the loot is too generous, people won't keep playing. But, I know I'd play a lot more if it was more generous.

Very succinctly said.

Namikaze1

So I turned on my PS4 to find this lovely salty ass message waiting for me. Ocean, this guy was the warlock we played against in Doubles yesterday in that big ass TTK map. Can't remember the name. It was that match where we ended up taking both heavies.

CYsZJZwUQAAX2MN.png

The Truth shall set you free, my salty brother.

spyder_ur

Does anyone leave Destiny happy? I know Bungie talked a big game about this in the lead up to Taken King, but it doesn't feel like it. People leave frustrated still.

Yes, I can only speak for myself, as someone who plays a ton but has taken a few extended breaks, including one now.

If I am regularly frustrated I just take a break and play something else for a while, but I'm always excited to see what is going on with the game and always happy to come back to new content of any type.

Haven't been in for moths but with TTK at €25 I reckoned I'd have a look and nope not coming back. For the 8-10 hours for which there is story content everyone seems pretty stoked but #Forever29 has returned but is now per item and is still dependent on RNG.

So I guess until that pack is €10 I'm staying out as while 8-10 hours is good value (I've paid more for fewer hours) I leave those games with a smile on my face, Destiny always leaves me exhausted and frustrated. You could argue that this down to how my own personality finds 'the number go up' dangerously compelling but I would reply that Bungie chose to lean on those buttons so I feel entitled to complain that they do it badly. As many other have commented D3 just got patched with yet another form of end game for free and boy do those numbers go up in satisfying ways.

Dear Bungie you know and have gone on the record as saying that RNG is no fun and leads to frustration yet you have for the 4th damn time made it key to your end-game, WTF?

[Q: Does anyone leave happy?]
Yes, I can only speak for myself, as someone who plays a ton but has taken a few extended breaks, including one now.

If I am regularly frustrated I just take a break and play something else for a while, but I'm always excited to see what is going on with the game and always happy to come back to new content of any type.

These two statements contradict each other. :p

I have big D3 sessions 2-3x a year. I don't quit because I'm regularly frustrated. I quit because I'm satisfied or something new comes along. I don't begrudge you wanting to take a break or being excited to come back. But regular frustration is something Destiny needs to fix.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

+1

edit: okay, well I stop playing long before any opportunity to get "regularly frustrated" if we are indeed splitting hairs

Also, we have the mysterious February update lol.

Urk said the Feb update was small. On par with Festival of the Lost. The Spring Update is the one that promised sandbox updates that's really exciting.

The second will be far larger than anything you’ve seen since the release of The Taken King. There’s also another significant update to the world and sandbox planned in this same window.​

My bet is that second event hits in May, right as they announce Destiny 2 or D16.

spyder_ur

These two statements contradict each other. :p

I have big D3 sessions 2-3x a year. I don't quit because I'm regularly frustrated. I quit because I'm satisfied or something new comes along. I don't begrudge you wanting to take a break or being excited to come back. But regular frustration is something Destiny needs to fix.

I don't know - Destiny leaves me happy and wanting to play more, if that answers your question. I don't have a good comparison or analog for Destiny- I've never played MMOs and I've never played a game as much as Destiny or been as invested in one. Every game frustrates me to a degree and I don't have the expectation that I'm going to have an awesome time or be constantly discovering awesome new loot on an infinite timeline.

Honestly, this thread sometimes makes me more negative on the game than the game itself does.

+1

edit: okay, well I stop playing long before any opportunity to get "regularly frustrated" if we are indeed splitting hairs

We are a bit - shouldn't have used that term.

Hi Hawk!

I don't know - Destiny leaves me happy and wanting to play more, if that answers your question. I don't have a good comparison or analog for Destiny- I've never played MMOs and I've never played a game as much as Destiny or been as invested in one. Every game frustrates me to a degree and I don't have the expectation that I'm going to have an awesome time or be constantly discovering awesome new loot on an infinite timeline.

Honestly, this thread sometimes makes me more negative on the game than the game itself does.

I'm chastened by this and I'm sorry if I'm contributed to anyone's salt level. I haven't really said anything new today, just reiterated some stuff that's bothered me, so I'll take it easy.

despair.gif

spyder_ur

I'm chastened by this and I'm sorry if I'm contributed to anyone's salt level. I haven't really said anything new today, just reiterated some stuff that's bothered me, so I'll take it easy.

No not at all, you shouldn't be. Everyone should feel free to discuss the game, and naturally people are more likely to discuss issues with the game rather than the things it does well.

It's just when you see pages and pages of discussion, I think it tends to create a slight exaggeration of problems within the larger context of the game, at least in my own head.

Don't get me wrong - I really wish we had a little more to look forward to. But it's OK for now.

Lee

This thread used to be so positive when Reddit was all down on Bungie. Now it feels the same wherever I go to read about the game.

No one seems happy, and I'm just here using DIM getting my loadouts ready for when I get time to play tonight.

*snip*
*snip*

despair.gif

likewise, but what I hope is that bungie lurks and reads about what we are complaining most stridently.

qhkI36c.png

Since Destiny came out I have taken 2 breaks from it. Both lasting about a week to 2 weeks.

Each time I've left I've felt burnt out and annoyed at something. Both times it has been down to the drops from end game bosses. Skolas and Oryx broke my will. The rewards were not worth the effort you went through.

When I've come back how I approach the game is different and I've been telling my clan mates the same. If something about the game is annoying you play something else.

If NF rewards are that bad they bother you don't do it. Go do some heroic strikes instead and pop a 3oC. Just as likely to get that exotic you are chasing.

Fed up of PVE then go do some Crucible. Fed up of Crucible go run some strikes or clear quests you've not done.

At the minute I'm fairly high on my personal sine wave. I've set myself some tasks to complete and I'm working through what I feel like.

As long as rewards are sorted properly so that players time is respected then people will hang around. A lot of people were burnt by oryx giving out rubbish. That needs fixing massively. Challenge mode helped but seriously, stop giving me sodding artifacts.

Did Bungie do this on purpose? Xur will no longer sell current year engrams?
Three of Coins replaced them. They're much more lucrative in my experience (on average I get an exotic every 5 or so 3oC's.. so ~7 coins per engram) but I guess some people just want specific engrams.

nowai

Did Bungie do this on purpose? Xur will no longer sell current year engrams?

I got the impression that we won't see any more Y2 engrams because they don't players to be able to get 310 exotics from Xur.

Edit: Also Darryl, Diablo is fantastic on console. I have been highly enjoying the new patch.

This thread has taken a turn for the worse. The 0.04% of the 4% is real.
You guys are understandably salty and mad and [insert negative feeling] given how much you've done in the game.
I only leveled up my alt Titan to 310+ this week and I'm having a good time. ^_^
Also, never been to the lighthouse and I'd like to try that maybe this weekend.
Since this thread is dad for LFG purposes (IMHO, 99% of plays happen in the first few hours of weekly reset when I'm at work), I turned to r/fireteams and it's been going pretty well.
I do miss the old gang and "full" DestinyGAF experience but it is what it is. Still love this community. <3

Top Bottom