• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

Sage! What were you thinking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSoXaL0aptA

Stormcaller melee snipes. This is nuts. You barely even have to aim.

Merrill says, "[The Stormcaller's] melee is probably going to be the most contentious thing. He has a very long-range attack when his melee skill is charged up. It's very hard to beat him in a melee fight from a distance. Warlocks should start getting used to engaging with melee early on. If they're not going up against another Stormcaller in PvP he can win melee fights pretty easy."

SpecX

Sage! What were you thinking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSoXaL0aptA

Stormcaller melee snipes. This is nuts. You barely even have to aim.

Disgusting

Keep them low, Bungie has.

aXhwzKt.png

Seriously Bungie? Thanks for preparing us for the letdown, but this should be something big considering the extreme drought we've faced...

I told you guys about Stormcallers

but you never listened to me

nooo, we have to complain about Sunstrikers first, because the hammers hurt my toes

you have rued the day you messed with sunstrikers. RUE I SAY

I told you guys about Stormcallers

but you never listened to me

nooo, we have to complain about Sunstrikers first, because the hammers hurt my toes

you have rued the day you messed with sunstrikers. RUE I SAY

That 12.5% melee range buff Titans got is OUT OF CONTROL. They need to nerf it. I might actually loose a melee fight as a Warlock now.

Kappa

RIP

CZL2ZzVXEAEdSNH.jpg

That stormcaller vid is insane, I can run T5 Disc/Str with the claws as well, might have to give it a whirl.

This leahloveschief stream is a whole new level of bad.

A charged Titan melee should be a ohko against any non-max armor guardian. Only way I see it making up for the pitiful range.

Or give us perks to let us have two charged melees without an exotic.

Oh, and let's not forget that Titan & Hunter melees make you lunge and move to your target. But Warlocks? Oh, yeah. They just throw space magic and stay at their melee range.

Or give us perks to let us have two charged melees without an exotic.

Oh, and let's not forget that Titan & Hunter melees make you lunge and move to your target. But Warlocks? Oh, yeah. They just throw space magic and stay at their melee range.

We are Titans. We will take the other classes left overs and we will like it.

I'm curious if you could elaborate on what that meant for WoW or how that might translate to Destiny 2? Bear in mind I've never played WoW but always found it interesting.

Super later reply, but pretty much what BC did for WoW was that it took what they had released in the Vanilla version of the game, which, though it was fun, was highly flawed, buggy and kinda lacking a meaningful reason to log on after a while (pretty much the three major problems with Destiny) so they basically tried to change everything up and made the game more engaging, made the endgame engaging and generally improved on everything to create my most memorable expansion. Though I think that the next expansion, Wrath, really was a superior expansion in terms of quality, BC defined the game and the devs had enough balls to do some crazy stuff. This vid by the top WoW PvE Youtuber looks back on the expansion and is a really good overview of the entire thing, if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g75YgZL-HuI

We are Titans. We will take the other classes left overs and we will like it.

giphy.gif

Super later reply, but pretty much what BC did for WoW was that it took what they had released in the Vanilla version of the game, which, though it was fun, was highly flawed, buggy and kinda lacking a meaningful reason to log on after a while (pretty much the three major problems with Destiny) so they basically tried to change everything up and made the game more engaging, made the endgame engaging and generally improved on everything to create my most memorable expansion. Though I think that the next expansion, Wrath, really was a superior expansion in terms of quality, BC defined the game and the devs had enough balls to do some crazy stuff. This vid by the top WoW PvE Youtuber looks back on the expansion and is a really good overview of the entire thing, if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g75YgZL-HuI

The question is, does Bungie and everyone besides us 1% believe that Taken King already did this? I think a lot of our hardcore folks are dissatisfied, but Taken King did make a lot of Vanilla problems and systems and dramatically altered and (mostly) improved them.

What this fall brings will be VERY telling. Will Bungie just rest on Taken King's improvements or will there be a big overhaul because they've had a year off?

giphy.gif

The question is, does Bungie and everyone besides us 1% believe that Taken King already did this? I think a lot of our hardcore folks are dissatisfied, but Taken King did make a lot of Vanilla problems and systems and dramatically altered and (mostly) improved them.

What this fall brings will be VERY telling. Will Bungie just rest on Taken King's improvements or will there be a big overhaul because they've had a year off?

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what they do, I personally can't answer if the Taken King did for Destiny what BC did for WoW as I don't have the numbers, but at least with WoW there has always been a steady drip of engaging content (though I am happy to admit SRL was good). Even in recent years where there has been a 12mnth gap between the 'end' of the expansion with the final raid tier and the release of the new one, Blizz releases info at a reasonable pace to keep people engaged through multiple Alphas, Betas and blog posts with enough to tie even the most hardcore over till the next content drop, even if they aren't playing the game, which is something Bungie hopefully will get better at.

It's an interesting challenge dealing with problems when it comes to the 1% of a playerbase.

Naturally, the 1% of the playerbase already implies that it's a very small portion. Of course, the closer to the 1%, you also find to be the more active members of the community, as well as unofficial advertisers.

1%ers that enjoy the game enough are going to do things like write up guides, post funny videos, and simply stream their gameplay.

These 1%ers attract the attention of people that can fall anywhere in the 99%ers. This is especially helpful if the developer isn't particularly good at this themselves. Obvious examples include stuff like Datto, TripleWreck, and Broman. They keep the meat of the population stable. When their interest and experience starts to wain, then so will that of the people who listen to them.

Thus, appeasing the 1%ers is doing more than just appeasing the 1%ers.

I absolutely hate the terminology, but it's fucking trickle down economics.

Ryck

Ok see ya in 3hrs at 4pm EST.

Anyone interested on HM challenge for 4pm EST, add name below:
1.) Bigmanny287
2.) friend
3.) Ryck007
4.) Biggy
5.) Da_1_hated_tito
6.) V1ctIm

Alt:: Macello
Macello can take my spot. I have some clan mates that need my help. Just FYI tho I would never back out of something that I had signed up for unless there was already someone there to take my spot. :D

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what they do, I personally can't answer if the Taken King did for Destiny what BC did for WoW as I don't have the numbers, but at least with WoW there has always been a steady drip of engaging content (though I am happy to admit SRL was good). Even in recent years where there has been a 12mnth gap between the 'end' of the expansion with the final raid tier and the release of the new one, Blizz releases info at a reasonable pace to keep people engaged through multiple Alphas, Betas and blog posts with enough to tie even the most hardcore over till the next content drop, even if they aren't playing the game, which is something Bungie hopefully will get better at.

Blizz communication and community outreach/interaction is top class.

Man, I wish we could have that with Bungie. The Starcraft team is constantly out there talking to the community. They even run a frequent "Community Feedback" column. They recently posted a request for feedback on several issues and how to balance them/ even if they needed balancing. Bungie barely explains the changes they have made, much less asking for feedback.

That's how you handle a PvP game, but Blizz's loot game team (D3) team is f----ing on point too. Detailed previews, updates, test realms, posting on reddit and twitter.

Bungie has largely given up posting in the community in Year 2. Anywhere. And the only updates we get are fluffdates or a weapons balance preview that wasn't actually final, but a draft.

Communication would go sooooooooooo far. But at this point I don't believe it's in Bungie's nature. They've always been a reticent and downright cryptic company. That was fun when it came to the Cortana Letters or finding emblem codes, but it sucks for player investment.

Blizz communication and community outreach/interaction is top class.

Man, I wish we could have that with Bungie. The Starcraft team is constantly out there talking to the community. They even run a frequent "Community Feedback" column. They recently posted a request for feedback on several issues and how to balance them/ even if they needed balancing. Bungie barely explains the changes they have made, much less asking for feedback.

That's how you handle a PvP game, but Blizz's loot game team (D3) team is f----ing on point too. Detailed previews, updates, test realms, posting on reddit and twitter.

Bungie has largely given up posting in the community in Year 2. Anywhere. And the only updates we get are fluffdates or a weapons balance preview that wasn't actually final, but a draft.

Communication would go sooooooooooo far. But at this point I don't believe it's in Bungie's nature. They've always been a reticent and downright cryptic company. That was fun when it came to the Cortana Letters or finding emblem codes, but it sucks for player investment.

I still think this is because Bungie doesn't want to commit to the MMO label because they feel like there is an expected presence that comes with that (what you just described basically).

Instead, they're rather label their game as a social FPS, and treat it like they have their past halo games that got a title update every so often.

Problem is, normally by this time, their Halo games had received their last major update, and the work began on their next title. Except in this scenario, we're not really getting a next title, we're still likely getting an expansion.

It's like, somehow we're getting the worst parts of MMO and FPS development, instead of the best parts of each.

Deku Tree

It's an interesting challenge dealing with problems when it comes to the 1% of a playerbase.

Naturally, the 1% of the playerbase already implies that it's a very small portion. Of course, the closer to the 1%, you also find to be the more active members of the community, as well as unofficial advertisers.

1%ers that enjoy the game enough are going to do things like write up guides, post funny videos, and simply stream their gameplay.

These 1%ers attract the attention of people that can fall anywhere in the 99%ers. This is especially helpful if the developer isn't particularly good at this themselves. Obvious examples include stuff like Datto, TripleWreck, and Broman. They keep the meat of the population stable. When their interest and experience starts to wain, then so will that of the people who listen to them.

Thus, appeasing the 1%ers is doing more than just appeasing the 1%ers.

I absolutely hate the terminology, but it's fucking trickle down economics.

Sometimes I wonder how big the sales effect really is of the influence of twitch streamers and youtubers.

Sometimes I wonder how big the sales effect really is of the influence of twitch streamers and youtubers.

In a way it's impossible to measure.

However, patterns can be observed regarding how popular twitch streamers abandon a game/franchise, and then populations take a hit.

Easiest to notice this kind of stuff on Steam.

Watch the correlation between Twitch channels for a game, and activity levels on Steam.

For single purchase games ($60) not that much, but for games like LoL and Hearthstone that have micro-transactions, pretty substantial I would think, as many people enjoy watching their fav streamers which then in turn makes them want to play the game more and then maybe buy that cool skin/emote their fav streamer was using.

2real4tv

Macello can take my spot. I have some clan mates that need my help. Just FYI tho I would never back out of something that I had signed up for unless there was already someone there to take my spot. :D
Ok updated list
Ok see ya in 30mins at 4pm EST.

Anyone interested on HM challenge for 4pm EST, add name below:
1.) Bigmanny287
2.) friend
3.) Macello
4.) Biggy
5.) Da_1_hated_tito
6.) V1ctIm

For single purchase games ($60) not that much, but for games like LoL and Hearthstone that have micro-transactions, pretty substantial I would think, as many people enjoy watching their fav streamers which then in turn makes them want to play the game more and then maybe buy that cool skin/emote their fav streamer was using.

This still applies to Destiny regardin the DLC.

Vanilla comes out. Streamers start
Dark Below comes out. A lot of people on the fence.
Streamers start showing off things like No Land Beyond and Black Hammer.
Fence people start leaning towards purchasing.
Streamers start talking up the new maps like Pantheon and the Cauldron.
Fence people hit tipping point, and are largely making purchases.

Repeat for House of Wolves...

Repeat for Taken King...

Repeat for Year 3 product.

The system only works if the streamers keep streaming the game, though.

Chucker

If you can find a group you can do Golgoroth challenge for a 320 Artifact, we carried Graves character through it at about the same light level
I've only done WP challenge.
What's up with Golgoroth? Everybody have to take gaze?
I have a 310 I can infuse once I get a legendary.

I've only done WP challenge.
What's up with Golgoroth? Everybody have to take gaze?
I have a 310 I can infuse once I get a legendary.

Yep, first person takes the gaze as normal then you switch it quickly (as soon as he opens his back) till the last person has to hold it for the full time, rinse repeat. Can you not just use the 310 one anyway?

flkraven

Golgoroth challenge with the Titan jumping into the pool first to drop a bubble before the ooze drops is world-changing. Completely cake after that.

Shiv47

Speaking of Golgy CM, is anyone left who still needs to run it 3x? Besides me that is. Ideally would like to run it tonight around 9 EST but I'm somewhat flexible.

Speaking of Golgy CM, is anyone left who still needs to run it 3x? Besides me that is. Ideally would like to run it tonight around 9 EST but I'm somewhat flexible.

I'd like to do Golgy CM on my brother's account. I can be on around that time. Does any still have the CP to share?

Top Bottom