• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

I won't be surprised if they actually made a lot more content for TTK and cut out a whole bunch of it for another expansion. Wouldn't mind it actually but no hive please. Enough with the fucking hive.
It's going to be hive continuing off from where Eris picked up Oryx's essence.

Bungie Dev 1:"Hey guys what was the best part about the Halo Universe"
BD2:"Why fellow dev, the Flood of course!"
BD3:"Flood!!111"
Some random punk ass kid:"THE FLOOD WERE SO EDGY AND COOL!"
BD1:"That's it! We'll have the majority of raids and expansions and lore deal with this new Flood like race in our brand new game Destiny..we'll call them....Hive!"
BD2:"Genius wrap it up!"
BD3:"OMG SO EPIC!"
Srpak:"Can you buy me a beer?"

Unstable

Unless they've been secretly developing for a really long time I just don't see how they can live up to our expectations of a true sequel by Fall. 1 year between TTK (which presumably gobbled up a large part of their devs) and a major sequel has always seemed like a hard target to reach.

This isn't COD with multiple studios releasing and developing stuff in a staggered chain. It's a single studio, and I can't imagine them having a sequel ready when up until little ago they were busy making content for this iteration.
Bungie has 500 employees and High-Moon studios assisting them with the IP.

Plus, Bungie was working on Destiny 2 the second Destiny 1 shipped, and considering the amount of content cut from the original game that's going to be used in D2, Destiny 2 was developed alongside Destiny 1 =p

Plus, Bungie was working on Destiny 2 the second Destiny 1 shipped, and considering the amount of content cut from the original game that's going to be used in D2, Destiny 2 was developed alongside Destiny 1 =p

So what you're saying is...Destiny 1 is just an expansion pack for Destiny 2! BUNGIE YOU'VE REVOLUTIONIZED GAMING YET AGAIN! HERE'S A BAG OF MONEY!

Giving the beta a shot. Looks like the bullet sponges are even worse then Destiny. Well see.
I have my beta code, too. I am hoping the RPG elements are more pronounced than in Destiny. I won't mind bullet sponge enemies if my character levels up to godlike status.

If only all games made you feel the way Diablo 3 does - that game has the loot grind and character progression nailed.

E92 M3

What's with all the real talk today? Its almost as if we were all being fake most of the time haha.

Umm it was the psn going down and people not being able to get to rank 5 in IB. A small scale shitstorm anyways.

There are many shades of reality, young one.

LTWood12

So Jason confidently expected the sequel to drop this fall in response to a tweet from me in the last week. Now he's saying his answer would be different.

That pretty much tells me no sequel in 2016. Doesn't rule out some taken King like expansion, but not a full new release.

Goddamn it.

Destiny 2 = 30 FPS, limited vault space. Everyone's dream come true.

Deku Tree

Here I am

CZNzDtSVAAAcWsI.jpg

CZNyvrFWwAE2fU8.jpg

Ready for a smaller $60 expansion, and lots of paid expensive dances!

Lnkn52

So you're saying that Destiny 2 will be in VR?
Reading between the lines here, help.

ocean

Banned

Plus, Bungie was working on Destiny 2 the second Destiny 1 shipped, considering the amount of content cut from the original game that's going to be used in D2, Destiny 2 was developed alongside Destiny 1 =p
I understand ideas being cut but do you think actual assets were developed and stored away?

That might be giving them a bit too much credit. I mean these folks had to actually delay House of Wolves... an expansion with a stunning 1 Strike, a 4 room Arena, 3 Exotic weapons and 4 Crucible maps.

I'm sure they've been working, I'm just not sure they'd be on track by fall for a meaningful sequel. I would sure hope so! Nobody would be happier than me to read that announcement.

But I won't be surprised at all if it turns out there won't be a major sequel this year.

Honestly if they need more time for a proper sequel more power to them. I just wish they wouldn't lock themselves away so much. I have plenty of games this year to keep me occupied.

I have my beta code, too. I am hoping the RPG elements are more pronounced than in Destiny. I won't mind bullet sponge enemies if my character levels up to godlike status.

If only all games made you feel the way Diablo 3 does - that game has the loot grind and character progression nailed.

From what I've seen, the skill trees for the 'classes' in Division seem to be pretty indepth, definitely more game changing than Destinys trees.

How deep does the rabbit hole go?

At this point it's a chasm. Where all of Bungies Dreams and Desires fall into, transcending beyond the chains of humanity into a deep dark pit. These dreams become cogs; desires, axels. Not a chasm but a machine, and imagination is the oil that lubricates the machine. Powered by money, that is a nihilism to all things that are to be, lost within the crevasses of the mountain.

LTWood12

If it is bad news as discussed, they've fucked it up even more by being so tight-lipped about everything. The lack of any information, then seeing no one talk about Destiny 2 on gaming websites for their "most anticipated" games got me worried, like they new we weren't really getting that this year.

Lnkn52

If it is bad news as discussed, they've fucked it up even more by being so tight-lipped about everything. The lack of any information, then seeing no one talk about Destiny 2 on gaming websites for their "most anticipated" games got me worried, like they new we weren't really getting that this year.
It sucks but it seems like no one was prepared for this.

The weekly update is just never what it needs to be. They should be laying it all down tomorrow. But they'll stretch it out.

Agonizing. I love Destiny but Bungie is hard to take sometimes.

Unstable

I understand ideas being cut but do you think actual assets were developed and stored away?

That might be giving them a bit too much credit. I mean these folks had to actually delay House of Wolves... an expansion with a stunning 1 Strike, a 4 room Arena, 3 Exotic weapons and 4 Crucible maps.

I'm sure they've been working, I'm just not sure they'd be on track by fall for a meaningful sequel. I would sure hope so! Nobody would be happier than me to read that announcement.

But I won't be surprised at all if it turns out there won't be a major sequel this year.
Well, everything we know (Eg. leaked info & Activision's court doc) indicates that Destiny sequels will release every two years. If that isn't the case, then they seriously changed their plans.

Well, everything we know (Eg. leaked info & Activision's court doc) indicates that Destiny sequels will release every two years. If that isn't the case, then they seriously changed their plans.

It's possible since they dropped the last 2 expansions for Destiny(That was probably shuffled towards 'content' for Destiny 2, sadly), the comet was well, changed in that regards. And then there's the hubbub that the premier trailer for Destiny showed stuff from the Dreadnought(Which Jschrier did a write up on the 'original' story of Destiny ending at the Dreadnought), so it's extremely possible they're saving any unused assets for the sequel.

If they don't unveil Destiny 2 at E3, then I would expect a Q1/Q2 release next year.

I liked how Massive decided against classes. From what I gather, you can use all the skills you earn. Pretty cool stuff.

Yeah, it's like...classes are great, but only if they're fleshed out ala World of Warcraft. Destiny Classes are...a poor mans version of that. Diablo 3 is the dream, all that damn gameplay customization. I'm making a Demon Hunter who will focus on shooting rockets, and there are items that will help me shoot even more rockets! I'm hyped for that.

Unstable

The weekly update is just never what it needs to be. They should be laying it all down tomorrow. But they'll stretch it out.

Agonizing. I love Destiny but Bungie is hard to take sometimes.
I think Bungie is afraid of committing to something they can't deliver.

Bungie also has no incentive to talk in detail about anything until it's close to launch. I agree it's a bad communication technique, especially for a game like Destiny. Lets say the next content update releases in early March, Bungie would talk in detail about two weeks beforehand to maximize interest player and return on that content.

Bungie also has no incentive to talk in detail about anything until it's close to launch. I agree it's a bad communication technique, especially for a game like Destiny. Lets say the next content update releases in early March, Bungie would talk in detail about two weeks beforehand to maximize interest player and return on that content.

They definitely shouldn't be afraid, though. Look at Diablo 3, they talked about Adventure mode and all the changes they were making for a good 3-6 months ahead of time. And damn, it was great.

I keep bringing up Diablo 3. It's because..dammit, that game does it right. Best loot game out there right now.

Ugh I'm not going to get too bothered until we get more solid answers, but I'll be extremely disappointed if we don't get a Destiny 2 this year. We really need Destiny 2 so we can finally drop the last gen shackles. It was a tremendous mistake to make Destiny cross gen in the first place, and another sizeable expansion is unlikely to be the place where they'll cut the cord.

At the very least, if we don't have a new release I'd like to see the microtransactions fund some actual content. The event stuff the live team is doing is so misguided and frustrating. The events are largely cosmetic stuff and very transient. To make matters worse the events are designed to basically drum up additional microtransaction sales. At the end of the day too these events only provide stuff to do for a couple days, and once we are gone we are back to the pitiful amount of endgame content we have now.

Finally for the love of the Traveler Bungie update raids and PoE and drop loot at appropriate light levels. I don't care if Fatebringer was overpowered, it was fun and it was exciting when it dropped. Bungie is far too precious about the PvE in this game if they feel anything is too good, but they fail to do much to keep it fresh and exciting, whether it be more content added, or increasing meager drop rates, or doing more weapon balancing to make guns fun to use in PvE (I miss my HoW shotguns in PvE).

I totally agree on details waiting until the appropriate time from a marketing perspective but my problem with their style of (in)communication is that they designed Destiny to be played for years. For them to not communicate future plans to the player base borders on foolish. Like you said, bad communication technique.

It is as though they still don't really know what they want Destiny to be. Which is actually quite possible. The development history was not exactly smooth.

They definitely shouldn't be afraid, though. Look at Diablo 3, they talked about Adventure mode and all the changes they were making for a good 3-6 months ahead of time. And damn, it was great.

I keep bringing up Diablo 3. It's because..dammit, that game does it right. Best loot game out there right now.
I have only put a few hours into Diablo 3 but you are right - the game is amazing. The loot is so good.

Unstable

They're afraid because of Destiny 1. They over promised and under delivered on Destiny 1, and received an overwhelming negative response as a result.

They're trying to avoid that trap this time.

Fake-Real? Edit:
Diablo 3 is super badass. That's just a fact.

I feel like part of my problem with Destiny is that Bungie is a victim of its own success. The things that are good in Destiny are so damn good which makes us all keep playing and makes the lack of content and communication so annoying. Bungie also doesn't mind if we stop playing, but we all want to play which creates a disconnect.

They're afraid because of Destiny 1. They over promised and under delivered on Destiny 1, and received an overwhelming negative response as a result.

They're trying to avoid that trap this time.

True enough. Diablo 3 at launch, I don't remember Blizzard hyping up D3 to the extent that Destiny was hyped up.

I have only put a few hours into Diablo 3 but you are right - the game is amazing. The loot is so good.

Not only the loot but the endgame. Diablo 3 doesn't start until you reach max level. Then, you can choose your build, there are tons and tons of builds. There's a versatility in playstyle unmatched by any other game. Whether it's element, choice of skills, to be more supportive or offensive, defense....and then you combine all those different styles within each other. And the loot? There is game changing loot. Loot that makes a melee Demon Hunter possible. Loot that makes a pet Witch Doctor ridiculous. It's one of a kind.

I feel like part of my problem with Destiny is that Bungie is a victim of its own success. The things that are good in Destiny are so damn good which makes us all keep playing and makes the lack of content and communication so annoying. Bungie also doesn't mind if we stop playing, but we all want to play which creates a disconnect.

Yeah, I get that. If they blow their content all at once, they're afraid players won't keep playing. But I think that's indicative of the issue with the content itself-People play for the loot, and the loot isn't satisfying that you want to get the same gun with the same stats that's only 3 points higher. That and because the guns are where all the customization is at that might 'change' the way you play, there isn't enough versatility that makes you feel like you're shooting a different gun-That's offered by Exotics like Bad Juju or Thorn.

If they had varying exotic levels like Diablo 3, but also let those exotics change more with your character than just the way you shoot or have armor, then this game would be near perfect in terms of loot. They tried that with artifacts and armor with 'Elemental Bonuses', but those are practically superficial.

Do Three of coins work on older strikes? They must if Draksis works, right?

I have been having a real hankering to run year one content with year one guns. But I wouldn't mind getting relevant loot :)

LTWood12

I'm afraid this is going to be worse than a delay. If the Hard core knew they were taking extra time to upgrade the engine (dropping last gen), putting more content in, etc we'd swallow the pill. Sure we'd be salty about not having it sooner, but we'd understand. But Jason specifically saying he thinks we won't like whatever it is makes me think it's going to be a fundamental shift toward the free-to-play, level 25 booster shit.

All conjecture here, but that's what happens when we get no communication whatsoever.

Deku Tree

I'm afraid this is going to be worse than a delay. If the Hard core knew they were taking extra time to upgrade the engine (dropping last gen), putting more content in, etc we'd swallow the pill. Sure we'd be salty about not having it sooner, but we'd understand. But Jason specifically saying he thinks we won't like whatever it is makes me think it's going to be a fundamental shift toward the free-to-play, level 25 booster shit.

All conjecture here, but that's what happens when we get no communication whatsoever.

Whatever it is ... is also unconfirmed so much that Jason is not willing to spill the beans Just yet.

Who didn't think that Destiny 1 was going F2P when Destiny 2 comes out?

Jason also didn't spill the beans here about Eververse or dev history. He teased a few times then posted on Kotaku.

But let's be real. No way is Bungie going to post about a major change in plans in a weekly update with no build up. We'll get a February event preview and that's it.

Jason's info won't come to light for weeks, either from Bungie or from Jason when he gets confirmation on his sources.

LTWood12

Jason also didn't spill the beans here about Eververse or dev history. He teased a few times then posted on Kotaku.

But let's be real. No way is Bungie going to post about a major change in plans in a weekly update with no build up. We'll get a February event preview and that's it.

Jason's info won't come to light for weeks, either from Bungie or from Jason when he gets confirmation on his sources.

100% this^

Unstable

I'm thinking they'll tease whatever the next event a little bit, but hint that it's playing into something bigger, whatever that may be.

Top Bottom