• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

Namikaze1

It's early but whatever
On January 21, 2015, at 10AM PST / 1PM EST, Bungie opened the gates to Crota's End Hard Mode. It's been a year since its release. Let's take a look back at one of DestinyGAF"s darkest periods.

pTrcmPo.jpg

Threads

Destiny-Crota's End Hard Mode raid - multiple GAF teams racing to be first w/streams!
Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

Videos

Zewone's CE HM clear
Rodiard's CE HM clear
Crota: Nope, motherfucker!
Team Husk CE HM clear

*feel free to post yours. These were just the ones I found while reading up the old thread.

Story Time

So I originally wanted to run Hard Mode when it was live with my reset crew. Begged Fig (a lot) to come but alas, most weren't available during that time. So it was just myself, rodiard, and Fig. Fig bailed out about 6 hours before it went up so I had to scramble around looking for a 6th. I believe Bitsurugi ended up being Fig's replacement.

Anyway, as time drew closer, I went about listening to all kinds music. Had several songs from the Rocky franchise on blast, pumping me up for this run. Went and started up my stream as well as invited the rest of the group to party chat. We all waited at the main screen for the go ahead from Bungie. I had over 300 unique viewers watching my stream, the most I had. I remember that number grew up to nearly 700 as time went by. Though it ended up nosediving to around 120-130 as we kept wiping over at Crota.

Bungie tweets that the gates are open and we all rush in. Everyone quickly joins on me and we set off. We load in and stand on the platform to form the bridge. Once the bridge was full formed, we jump down through the hole. And then the game decides to fuck us over quickly. Rodiard dies upon landing. We could have wiped but we kept on going just to see what the hard mode differences were. We made it to the end but had lost a few people along the way so the few still alive were decimated. We start our real attempt upon reviving and somehow managed to get to the next checkpoint with one guy alive.

The bridge...holy shit, i don't know how we managed to beat this in our first attempt with 3 guys. We didn't cheese it like I'm sure some others did (not referring to GAF). Those fucking boomers man. It wasn't the ogres you had to worry about. It was those damn boomers and they would continue to hunt us during the Crota fight.

We the bridge part done with, we were the first of the GAF teams to make it to Deathsinger. Deathsinger was the easiest encounter of the run as many expected it to be. Problem was just dealing with the ads and waiting for the game to decide that we can finally move on to the Crota phase.

We made it to Crota in roughly 40-45 minutes. We spent over 2 hours on this bastard. We didn't know then what we know now. That strat became known over the next several days after HM was released. We didn't know that the gatekeeper is just there as a big fuck you to everyone who used middle strat in Normal and not for anything else. We didn't know wizards would spawn upon killing the two boomer knights on the Tower. We certainly didn't know Crota would insta-enrage around 15-20% health.

The boomers turned out to be our biggest problem more than anything else in that fight. Folks watching the stream could tell we were getting frustrated. Nothing we did was working. Those fucking boomers just kept screwing shit up. And then it happened. A single bubble placement changed the course of the run. Bitsurugi, tired of the damn knights bombing us, jumps up to left tower and places a blinding bubble down on them bastards. That sword run went flawlessly and we now knew how to deal with the boomers. With 4 Titans on the team, we had no problem alternating bubble droppers.

Each run, we manage to bring Crota closer and closer to defeat. The game then decides to fuck us again by kicking kvozz to orbit when we finally bring Crota down enough to pop Oversoul. Okay, this surprised us big time. We all thought we had hit enraged and kept wondering why the game never notified us that enrage was near. Now knowing that Crota enrages after his health goes down past a certain point, we went off to finish this fight once and for all.

With everyone back on the team, we start our latest attempt. Every thing is going smoothly till the final sword run. Rodiard dies trying to escape after Crota gets up from the first slam. Crota pops his oversoul shit. With our swordbearer dead, someone had to quickly grab the sword. Better than explaining what happened, there's a link to this above. It's the third video link titled Crota: Nope, motherfucker!

After that heartbreaking run, we respawn back in the crystal room. Most of us agreed this would be our final attempt even if we don't succeed in killing him. We do...we fucking succeed in killing him at the cost of our own lives. Rodiard manages to land the final hit just as Oversoul kills us all.

Stream was up for nearly 3 hours and 40 minutes. The first twenty was spent at the main screen while about ten minutes were spent at the Tower after all was said and done taking a group photo.

TEAM HUSK

DGAF was at such a low point during this time though. Probably the lowest ever. Nothing really brought us that low afterwards. So anyone care to share their first CE HM stories?

SpecX

Hawkmoon deserves to be there, at its best that thing was crazy good in PvE/P
Agreed, Hawkmoon was so great overall. I feel bad Xbox players will never get to experience it in God mode. Couple of my friends got it recently and think it's good now, but back then it was deadly.

Deku Tree

You mean 2015 right? Hard mode was added last year. :p

Destiny came out September 9, 2014. The Dark Below with the exception of hard mode came out in December 2014. My post is just about hard mode.

Yeah I already edited my post.

RAWR basically did exactly what he said he was going to do in your quote and doesn't play much anymore.

Namikaze1

I should've linked Grave's post. Eh, don't feel like combing through that thread again. It was a dark day. I think that started the whole sine wave thing here.

Namikaze1

Yeah I already edited my post.

RAWR basically did exactly what he said he was going to do in your quote and doesn't play much anymore.
Edited my post as well.

Yeah, he's the only one who actually kept his word. Everyone else was doing CE HM again every reset after that day.

this was right around when I started lurking, lol. I think my first OT that I was a member was the tail end of Cash for Crota. yeah, I remember one epic round of HM Crota with kadey and some other gaffers. I was up til 5am local trying to end the bugger. kind of makes me want to revisit him and shove Raze-Lighter up his glowing bunghole.

I'm gonna be vague until I can confirm this -- sorry! -- but I hear Bungie has made some big changes to what they previously had planned for this year. Very curious as to what they'll say in the next update.

Got to thinking last night. "This year" is kind of ambiguous since it could mean this fall & Destiny 2. (He hinted at this with LT about not being certain about Destiny 2 this fall anymore).

Or it could mean the rest of Destiny Year 2. Which would make sense as to why he's posting today, when Bungie gets back to Year 2 hyping.

Or it could be both.

I think in the end, the reason for these tease posts is two fold: give DGAF a headsup that stuff might be going down AND see if he can't flush out another source. I'm sure that Bungie reads DGAF, even if it's sporadically. If he can post here and saying in effect "I have one source on something happening" then he might be able to get someone else who might not want to be the original source, but could confirm to reach out to him.

This is doubly so for any Bungie dev who cares about the hardcore and may not like the big change, hence his positioning of the news.

I'd say Jason is pretty savvy about all this is, even if we're a bit frustrated in the meantime.

1 hour of CoO = 80 armor mats, 45 legendary marks and 10k glimmer. Not bad. Also 2x Eris rank up.

edit: make that 66 legendary marks and 3 exotic shards after getting rid of all the engrams.

Thanks for hopping in darknyss, kadab and gibbshift.

TLW TTK with the bugged 111 was faster than a machine gun, and it worked from range. Although getting that required some skill. I would put it higher.

Time to kill can be overrated as a measure of OPness. Double 111s wasn't as common as it might seem and TLW always required more skill to use than Vex, Thorn and Suros. The skill factor keeps it below the others since they were all about as easy as possible to use.

Hawkmoon deserves to be there, at its best that thing was crazy good in PvE/P

Whoops, I knew I was forgetting something. It's harder to place due to the RNG-dependence but it definitely deserves a spot. It'd be either below TLW or even PInfinity. Definitely higher than RDeath and Mida though.

I think Truth should be in there somewhere, no? :)

For me, Truth was always balanced by heavy ammo. At best you could fire 4 rockets every 3 minutes if you were willing to forgo an exotic primary/special or (like me) bothered to switch out exotics when heavy spawned.

Exotic primaries and Pocket Infinity were so dominant during Year 1 I never felt like Truth was a game changer the way the other guns on that list were. Besides, there was always a case to be made for GHorn since it did the most damage/rocket and was the only RL that could kill a Blade Dancer in one shot.

So anyone care to share their first CE HM stories?

....too soon. I read my quote up there and... blah. Too soon, haha. In lieu of that, it turns out the only highlight I've ever saved on my Twitch channel is something called "HM Crota Epic Fail."

http://www.twitch.tv/bogue_ster/c/5985086

I can't bring myself to watch it but there's the link for anyone (morbidly) curious.

Crota raid still da GOAT.

Still getting chills when I pick up the sword and that music starts.

Eww.

Crota is awesome now as a 1-2 person activity. As a raid, it's always been trash.

E92 M3

Beating Crota on hard was such a huge satisfaction last year. Never made me super mad or anything. It surely had some cheap mechanics, but victory wouldn't have felt as great if the cards weren't stacked against us.

Running sword never got old and I always loved to help people out.

Bungie did good by making every raid unique and have something fun.

Daemul

1.) Pocket Infinity
2.) Pocket Infinity
3.) Pocket Infinity
4.) Vex
5.) Thorn
6.) S U R O S R E G I M E
7.) TLW
8.) Red Death
9.) MIDA

Fixed.

Pocket Infinity has never been allowed in sweaties for damn good reason, it was a bullshit weapon that let people lock down entire lanes and cheese their way to victory and you could do fuck all about it. Even now in it's nerfed state it's still a pain in the ass to go up against and a semi-skilled hand can cause a fuckton of havoc.

Fuck this weapon, it's an utterly broken piece of shit.

phen0m24

I remember Hard Mode Crota. That freaking scrub.

I made a quit rant post not long thereafter. Why? Because it took me SO long to get to 30. #Forever29 And then trying to hit 32 was bonkers.

So many radiant shards.....

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

I think we first finished it with Drizz in our fun run. I don't know how as not everyone had Red Death and we ALL wanted helmets with Infusion. "Oh look a raid helmet! Finally! No infusion? Shard"

But one Saturday Dhruv said "Colonel let's get you a HM kill" as I was like heck with this.

We proceeded to annihilate him 3x and I helped with other runs too. So grateful.

That was such a cool feeling. Because of crazy sword bearers like Dhruv, Drizz (counting hit markers: never forget), Rawr and Hawkian being able to punish the son of Oryx so soundly... Our little corner of GAF was so much more amazing. "Sure I'll help!" Wow. These people.

Also Epic Sax.
And that laugh. You know which one I'm talking about. Milkham and Firehawk and rawr and Kartik had Unknown just laughing. He was too tired to do anything else. "F it. Let's go again" and he would laugh at that stupid sax over and over.

Dark, but good.

Swordbearer music is pretty great tbf. At the very least one person gets to feel like a badass.

I remember playing a match against some guy in doubles with Wicked who we beat quite easily, then we were matched with the same two the next round and the guy switched to Pocket Infinity. I've never wanted to teabag a player so badly.

Deku Tree

The only way Bungie is going to reveal anything substantial about their future plans in a BWU is if Jason has the info confirmed and notifies Activision that he is going to post an article, and gives them the courtesy to announce the info ASAP first if they choose to do so... just like last time with the MT info.

VoG is still the best looking raid just because Vex stuff looks cool.

Also I remember the horrors of HM Crota. .once I got my Crux I never touched it again.

WipedOut

I'll be up for a run just to dance all over his corpse. Again.

Excellent, I still need a Gjallarhorn.... No seriously I need one.... on PS4 :)

PS4 - Crota's End Hard Mode: 5PM Eastern.

1. W193D0UT
2. NamiKaze1
3. fig
6. Death

If I'm awake, i'll join. If you don't see me online or on gaf, feel free to get someone else. 7 hours from now, right?
Will send invite if you're on, I'm down to also run it again later in the evening when you are awake. It's not like we actually need 6 people, I still need year 1 exotic chances.

phen0m24

Excellent, I still need a Gjallarhorn.... No seriously I need one.... on PS4 :)

PS4 - Crota's End Hard Mode: 5PM Eastern.

1. W193D0UT
2. NamiKaze1

This weekend sure but this 5 est stuff. Man I'm still at work at 5.

And going to visit my grandpa tonight - he's in the hospital :(

edukate

Any early morning predictions for the BWU?

echoing Jason yesterday: new and exciting stuff on the horizon-- you'll have to wait as we can't talk about it now...

Expect an injection of new emotes for sale. Perhaps the repurposing of old year 1 content as new year 2 content? Oh, and Bungie will supply all year 1 guardians with the Division Beta codes :)

jschreier

Got to thinking last night. "This year" is kind of ambiguous since it could mean this fall & Destiny 2. (He hinted at this with LT about not being certain about Destiny 2 this fall anymore).

Or it could mean the rest of Destiny Year 2. Which would make sense as to why he's posting today, when Bungie gets back to Year 2 hyping.

Or it could be both.

I think in the end, the reason for these tease posts is two fold: give DGAF a headsup that stuff might be going down AND see if he can't flush out another source. I'm sure that Bungie reads DGAF, even if it's sporadically. If he can post here and saying in effect "I have one source on something happening" then he might be able to get someone else who might not want to be the original source, but could confirm to reach out to him.

This is doubly so for any Bungie dev who cares about the hardcore and may not like the big change, hence his positioning of the news.

I'd say Jason is pretty savvy about all this is, even if we're a bit frustrated in the meantime.
By "this year" I meant 2016.

Top Bottom