• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

what february mask event?

Urk said the February event would be small, on par with the Halloween Mask event.

edit: top of the page Vault photography:

20934593938_0a05fb2c2e_b.jpg

21130211221_978933b83c_b.jpg

22223134349_a05f641a87_b.jpg

darknil

So lately I've been wanting to use HCs again, I've stopped using them after the initial TTK patch that destroyed a lot of them. I've been using now the 3 classes (started a titan only on TTK) but I don't want them to share weapons.

So, thematically and in practice, which exotic HCs (so I don't depend on getting the right perks for legendaries) do you think suit best each class?

For me it's been Hawkmoon for Hunter, TLW for Warlock (and that melee snipe) and I don't have ideas for Titans, just felt they don't suit a HC, but that is because I just started using one.

Think you both misread my post. I was saying your group was one of the first to make it to Crota; which i'm almost positive you were since you guys only had one wipe up to that point.

Hmm if Nami's 40-45 minute estimate to reach Crota is accurate then I don't think that's quite right either.... I found the BWU and they actually posted the Top 5 finishes, which were all in 46 minutes or less:

https://www.bungie.net/7_bungie-weekly-update---01222015/en/news/news?aid=12516

So must have all reached him in <40 minutes, but these details aren't that important. The important part is that Team Husk kicked some ass up and down the raid that day :p

salty edit:

Triple's quote about how world's first beat them:

&#8220;Our group wholly decided that we wanted to compete for the world's first Hard Mode completion straight up and honest. It was wholly satisfying and we couldn't be happier even though we didn't get the technical #1 finish."

Destiny should be a game about the satisfying combat and the search for loot that changes how you play the game

Bingo.

This is why I loved VoG. Not only every weapon was unique and was great in some instances, but... elemental primaries / carrots. Just need to balance them better WITH kinetic primaries (whether it's perks or stats).

I understand why since everyone just had Fatebringer equiped but because there was hardly a reason to not have it equiped. Give us reasons to equip other guns in other scenarios and that would solve the problem. Not take it away from us completey.

phen0m24

Bingo.

This is why I loved VoG. Not only every weapon was unique and was great in some instances, but... elemental primaries / carrots. Just need to balance them better WITH kinetic primaries (whether it's perks or stats).

I understand why since everyone just had Fatebringer equiped but because there was hardly a reason to not have it equiped. Give us reasons to equip other guns in other scenarios and that would solve the problem. Not take it away from us completey.

What if elementals could be fed by consumables (solar damage for X minutes), or every nth bullet aka LiTC was an elemental. Hmmm

Yes!

Nothing's confirmed yet. I promise that as soon as I've confirmed any of what I've heard, you guys will know. I haven't heard anything about F2P. That seems unlikely.

Let me be clearer: Bungie's plan was originally, as I reported, to do events and maybe a few other free content drops -- although I think they were mulling over charging for some of those, too -- up until D2 in fall of 2016. The rumblings I've heard are that, as of the past week or two, this plan has changed. I have not yet been able to confirm the specifics of what the roadmap looks like now, but it's impossible to know if it'll be a "good" or "bad" thing until we actually see what kind of content they put out over the next two years.

Of course, if you read my story from October you know that Bungie has been constantly rebooting and shifting plans during the development of Destiny, so if this is true, it isn't too much of a shocker. Either way I think we'll hear officially within the next week.

oh, cool! thanks for sharing! :)
I may have read that October article, as I do read Kotaku, but can someone provide a linky, please?

Ghazi

Hmmm... I miss running VoG and CE. Too bad no one wants to run them anymore. KF is good, but it doesn't top VoG for me. All of the VoG encounters are just so well done, KF is more about mechanics and teamwork than it is shooting aliens to me. I will admit that Golgoroth is probably one of the most well designed bosses in the game.

WipedOut

Bingo.

For me Year 1 was a hell of a lot more fun that Year 2 has been thus far. They changed it from chasing these amazing weapons (VoG) to chasing numbers. I still don't have that 1 moment that has been comparable to when I got my Fatebringer, Vex, and yes the Mighty Gjallarhorn after 6 months and over 1000 hours spent chasing it. That first time firing it and going whoa, so that's what all the fuss has been about.

Hmmm... I miss running VoG and CE. Too bad no one wants to run them anymore. KF is good, but it doesn't top VoG for me. All of the VoG encounters are just so well done, KF is more about mechanics and teamwork than it is shooting aliens, to me. I will admit, Golgoroth is probably one of the most well designed bosses in the game.

I'll run either when ever and as many times as ever, I miss playing VoG, still the best Destiny experience to be had.

What if elementals could be fed by consumables (solar damage for X minutes), or every nth bullet aka LiTC was an elemental. Hmmm

Buy why? Like shields aren't that common. The only time Elementals really mattered was Nightfalls with burns, but most weeks don't have burns.

I want more weapons that complement subclasses. This weapon gives my void abilities a boost. This armor piece gives me a boost everytime I use a

Let's get some real builds, rather than just some flavor.

E92 M3

Bingo.

What's funny is that I had Word of Crota and VoC equipped more often than FB. I loved the Word of Crota a lot actually.

For me Year 1 was a hell of a lot more fun that Year 2 has been thus far. They changed it from chasing these amazing weapons (VoG) to chasing numbers. I still don't have that 1 moment that has been comparable to when I got my Fatebringer, Vex, and yes the Mighty Gjallarhorn after 6 months and over 1000 hours spent chasing it. That first time firing it and going whoa, so that's what all the fuss has been about.

Yeah, weapons were magnitudes better than what we have now.

phen0m24

I love your optimism Colonel :)

Aww shucks. :) You are still my source of Destiny calm, DD. :)

But hey, wouldn't that just be grand? I mean, we
rightfully so
give deej rafts of crap for his updates as being all cryptic. Urk could have been cryptic but waiting to say

"Yeah I said 'small' but 3 days is technically small. GOTCHA!"

they could still do an E3 reveal all prettied up and say "We've taken ideas gathered during our alpha to make D2 the best it can be."

"Now HERE'S what we DIDN'T show you in the alpha."

Booooooooommmmmmm heads exploding everywhere

GlamFM

Banned

I'll run either when ever and as many times as ever, I miss playing VoG, still the best Destiny experience to be had.

Absolutely.

Nicely put.

Y1 - chasing awesome gear.
Y2 - chasing a number.

Vanilla Destiny was to me the best state this game was ever in.

phen0m24

Buy why? Like shields aren't that common. The only time Elementals really mattered was Nightfalls with burns, but most weeks don't have burns.

I want more weapons that complement subclasses. This weapon gives my void abilities a boost.

Let's get some real builds, rather than just some flavor.

Agreed. Making a super defender would be
evil
fun. ;)

I was thinking in the match game/old burn context yeah - so that enemies don't melt AS FAST if only every X projectile is that element.

Just throwing ideas out there, John

E92 M3

Absolutely.

Nicely put.

Y1 - chasing awesome gear.
Y2 - chasing a number.

Vanilla Destiny was to me the best state this game was ever in.

Yep, I've been saying for so long that there is nothing inherently fun about chasing numbers - it just becomes so sad that the first thing people are excited about are the numbers. Not the perks, not the weapons and that is not in the spirit of this game. Hopefully Bungie realized that they swung too far in making weapons feel average and "balanced." I don't want balance in PVE actually.

Ryck

So lately I've been wanting to use HCs again, I've stopped using them after the initial TTK patch that destroyed a lot of them. I've been using now the 3 classes (started a titan only on TTK) but I don't want them to share weapons.

So, thematically and in practice, which exotic HCs (so I don't depend on getting the right perks for legendaries) do you think suit best each class?

For me it's been Hawkmoon for Hunter, TLW for Warlock (and that melee snipe) and I don't have ideas for Titans, just felt they don't suit a HC, but that is because I just started using one.
Hunter should be using Ace of Spades man!

Namikaze1

Hmm if Nami's 40-45 minute estimate to reach Crota is accurate then I don't think that's quite right either.... I found the BWU and they actually posted the Top 5 finishes, which were all in 46 minutes or less:

https://www.bungie.net/7_bungie-weekly-update---01222015/en/news/news?aid=12516

So must have all reached him in <40 minutes, but these details aren't that important. The important part is that Team Husk kicked some ass up and down the raid that day :p

salty edit:

Triple's quote about how world's first beat them:

“Our group wholly decided that we wanted to compete for the world's first Hard Mode completion straight up and honest. It was wholly satisfying and we couldn't be happier even though we didn't get the technical #1 finish."
Yeah, the cave took us two attempts though I wouldn't call the first a real attempt since the game really fucked rodiard over with that fall damage death.
Everything after that up till Crota we one shotted.

I would say it took us just a little over 10 minutes to beat the cave. (can't remember who was the last one standing in our real attempt. Certainly wasn't me.)

Roughly 10 minutes for bridge (with just 3 making it across)

About 5 minutes for just Deathsinger

About 6-7 minutes clearing the ads

Like I said, by the time we were done with ads, that group finished off Crota.

Huh? I overestimated it the first time.

Who came up with the middle strat for Crota? That was a god send for Hard Mode. Oh man...I wasn't a member of GAF back then. Having to get LFG groups and have people empty entire clips because they were too cheap with their coins and never wanted to buy heavy ammo. That was some straight up nonsense back then. I did get the Crux on my second HM Crota kill. I never got the Hammer until 2 weeks before TTK release.

Middle strat emerged from the community at large, nobody around here that I recall really instigated it. I remember Youtube videos and reddit posts around the time that seemed to popularize it and then everybody started doing it.

The meta for PvE strats establishes itself same as PvP meta. Just takes some time before everyone realizes what's best and then has experience running it. People used to go to the back of Atheon's room right in front of the door instead of middle platform, for example. Templar has been cheesed so much the meta didn't matter, but back right cave was common.

Either bottom middle or left side was common for NM Crota but the Gatekeeper added in HM removed bottom mid, and the forced under-leveling + Major Boomers removed left side as an option. Titan distraction bubble + middle ledge + BDancer invis sword runner was pretty obviously the best.

Warpriest has always been too basic to vary much (right-mid-mid or middle-middle). Golgi one-orb strat took a little time before its ease took priority over double gazer's excitement. Oryx adopted misnamed "No Knight" strat as a placeholder until we leveled up enough, now bottom mid double-bubble w/ ToMs is the meta.

Meta will always be "path of least resistance."

Basically, as some of us have previously stated in older OTs, it's FUN to feel like a complete badass (this entails having badass weapons). Weapons have been nerfed to the ground. Elemental primaries were Taken. There is no more badass feeling with weapons. No more weapons that people REALLY want anymore.

The only exotics I really use are TLW and Mida for PvP (And Truth for heavy round when I remember to switch)

PvE is always a shitty raid weapon since it's my highest light and raid primary drops >= 314 (for fusion purposes) are about as rare as good connection in 2 consecutive PvP matches. I hate that raid crap is mostly infusion fodder. That's not how it should be.

LTWood12

As shitty as HM Crota was (and it was indeed shitty in so many ways); it's probably the most fun I've had overall from a hard mode encounter (probably the most salt too). Nothing has matched the frantic fun to me of having a good crew of six in the early days that executed on all cylinders. So much micromanagement.

Who's putting down the bubble in the crystal room?
Who is taking which side?
Who are our orb generators?
We all need to run out at the same time.
Frantic run as a group to the window ledge.
Eyes on Swordbearer, where the fuck is he?!
We need to burn him now!
"Hawkian, DrDrizzay101,iRawrsauras, Gutz etc has picked up the sword"

Cue music

I pop my bubble just so on the right side, in the perfect spot to aggro boomers and crota.
"Rockets."
Jump out of my bubble
Gjallarhorn beeping
Wolfpack rounds going off like the 4th of July

"Rockets"
We all fire and immediately frantically run back to the crystal room.
"Don't ADS the swordbearer"
"T-44 quit picking up ammo and get in the room. You're pulling him to the side"
"Crota's moving, Ogre room after this guys"

Burn Swordbearer
Bubble
Rockets
Repeat

"Ogre Room!"
"Watch those cursed thrall"
Inevitably someone has trouble getting up high in the room
Ogre comes out and is immediately met with six grenades and black hammer/LDR shots to the face

"Can someone make an orb or two I'm about to die"
Snipe other ogre
"Everyone grab your blessing and let's go"
"Shit cursed thrall!"

90 seconds of quiet waiting in the crystal room
"Keep eyes on the sword bearer"
LTWood12 dances with Macello
T-44 points

"He's moving, let's go"
LDRs and Hammers
Hawkian, DrDrizzay101, Gutz has picked up the sword

Cue music
Bubble Down
"Rockets!"
Fireworks
Enrage!
Crota summons the Oversoul
"Hit him"
Everything we've got left to shoot gets blasted at Crota's shield.

"Fuck yes!"

-------------------
I did this fight with more first timers than any other final boss, so that probably has something to do with my fondness for it. So many people happy to finally beat the bastard and get a primary.

phen0m24

Basically, as some of us have previously stated in older OTs, it's FUN to feel like a complete badass (this entails having badass weapons). Weapons have been nerfed to the ground. Elemental primaries were Taken. There is no more badass feeling with weapons. No more weapons that people REALLY want anymore.

The only exotics I really use are TLW and Mida for PvP (And Truth for heavy round when I remember to switch)

PvE is always a shitty raid weapon since it's my highest light and raid primary drops >= 314 (for fusion purposes) are about as rare as good connection in 2 consecutive PvP matches. I hate that raid crap is mostly infusion fodder. That's not how it should be.

Which is why Diablo 3 loot is mad fun.

+318% damage against frozen enemies
Equip active skill to freeze the Frick out of everyone and then GO TO TOWN

:)

I really miss VoC, FB and even WoC.

No not you Epilogue, you sucked. Lol

Namikaze1

Alright, looking at the timestamp from several posts from the old thread, these are the "real" times

From my pic, it looks like we started the raid at 1:10 PM EST

From Noomi's post timestamp, we beat the bridges at 1:30 PM EST

So 20 minutes spent from loading in to completing bridge.

From Death's post, we made it to Crota at 1:40 PM EST.

So 10 minutes at deathsingers + clearing ads

Looks like we made it to the big baddie in just half an hour.

WipedOut

Sleeper Simulant and Exotic swords are ok, but nothing like year 1 Gjallarhorn.

There has absolutely been not one exotic standout that has made me go daaaamn, I want that now. Exotic swords kinda but the grind is too much. Still don't have 1 on PS4 because I don't want to waste my time on the grinding for Mats bullshit.

LTWood12

Alright, looking at the time post from the old thread, these are the "real" times

Yeah I guess I was just remembering it seeming incredibly fast to me how soon y'all made it to him. I wasn't keeping up with the other groups really.

E92 M3

As shitty as HM Crota was (and it was indeed shitty in so many ways); it's probably the most fun I've had overall from a hard mode encounter (probably the most salt too). Nothing has matched the frantic fun to me of having a good crew of six in the early days that executed on all cylinders. So much micromanagement.

Who's putting down the bubble in the crystal room?
Who is taking which side?
Who are our orb generators?
We all need to run out at the same time.
Frantic run as a group to the window ledge.
Eyes on Swordbearer, where the fuck is he?!
We need to burn him now!
"Hawkian, DrDrizzay101,iRawrsauras etc has picked up the sword"

Cue music

I pop my bubble just so on the right side, in the perfect spot to aggro boomers and crota.
"Rockets."
Jump out of my bubble
Gjallarhorn beeping
Wolfpack rounds going off like the 4th of July

"Rockets"
We all fire and immediately frantically run back to the crystal room.
"Don't ADS the swordbearer"
"T-44 quit picking up ammo and get in the room. You're pulling him to the side"
"Crota's moving, Ogre room after this guys"

Burn Swordbearer
Bubble
Rockets
Repeat

"Ogre Room!"
"Watch those cursed thrall"
Inevitably someone has trouble getting up high in the room
Ogre comes out and is immediately met with six grenades and black hammer/LDR shots to the face

"Can someone make an orb or two I'm about to die"
Snipe other ogre
"Everyone grab your blessing and let's go"
"Shit cursed thrall!"

90 seconds of quiet waiting in the crystal room
"Keep eyes on the sword bearer"
LTWood12 dances with Macello
T-44 points

"He's moving, let's go"
LDRs and Hammers
Hawkian, DrDrizzay101, iRawrsauras has picked up the sword

Cue music
Bubble Down
"Rockets!"
Fireworks
Enrage!
Crota summons the Oversoul
"Hit him"
Everything we've got left to shoot gets blasted at Crota's shield.

"Fuck yes!"

-------------------
I did this fight with more first timers than any other final boss, so that probably has something to do with my fondness for it. So many people happy to finally beat the bastard and get a primary.

Thanks for writing that out. A lot of fun memories.

Yeah I guess I was just remembering it seeming incredibly fast to me how soon y'all made it to him. I wasn't keeping up with the other groups really.

I wasn't a member of GAF at the time but I was following the thread like crazy back then. I remember how positive the posting was up until Crota. It was soul crushing even as a non member back then. They really did a number HM back then.

I still love running the sword on Crota. That was always fun to me.

Alright, looking at the timestamp from several posts from the old thread, these are the "real" times

So 10 minutes at deathsingers + clearing ads

I actually remember doing Crota when it first launched.

Our group was a sort of B team around GAF, maybe even a C or D team.

Anyway, I can't remember who it was, but I remember we were all getting frustrated because one of the guys running with us was watching one of you guys streaming more than he was actually playing.

That person caused us to wipe at the Bridge like 6 times in a row because he would just stop moving as he was watching you guys. Was super frustrating.

I don't think we made it past the bridge at all since everyone was getting pretty pissed about it.

I want to run it but won't be available until probably about 5:45est. If you run multiples let me know please.

Pre-Patch Epilogue melted people. Post Patch it turned into a pile of poo. It was the weapon I used post patch to get my Thorn however.

Depending how smooth this goes I will be up for more. And I know Boguester expressed some interest.

LTWood12

Disclaimer:

I don't ever remember actually calling out T-44 for not getting back to the Crystal room, but since I couldn't remember a specific person, he's the the only one I felt like I could throw under the bus lol.

Namikaze1

I actually remember doing Crota when it first launched.

Our group was a sort of B team around GAF, maybe even a C or D team.

Anyway, I can't remember who it was, but I remember we were all getting frustrated because one of the guys running with us was watching one of you guys streaming more than he was actually playing.

That person caused us to wipe at the Bridge like 6 times in a row because he would just stop moving as he was watching you guys. Was super frustrating.

I don't think we made it past the bridge at all since everyone was getting pretty pissed about it.
I bet it was Todd wasn't it? :p

Team Dhruv Vader / MeMeMecello

1. Macello
2. Cosmos_Man
3. Dhruv_Hanom
4. Kartik
5. Mindlog
6. GraverobberX

Team XpLiCiT RaGe

1) xplicitone
2) death4romabove22
3) silvertongueBR
4) GhostFaceDon
5) Hydruxxo
6) Stallion Dan/KylieDOg

Team greyblade / Salvage Lord

1.greyblade
2.greyblades friend.
3.keanburke
4.toddv360
5.androo2300
6.grimlock33 Kor of Memory?

Team Dr Destinay is probably listed in the OT somewhere.

Which is why Diablo 3 loot is mad fun.

+318% damage against frozen enemies
Equip active skill to freeze the Frick out of everyone and then GO TO TOWN

:)

I really miss VoC, FB and even WoC.

No not you Epilogue, you sucked. Lol

I need to hurry up and start d3. Been so busy with work and other crap. Then Tuesday reset I got myself burried in 3x full HM KF runs, which was a mistake since I got absolutely nothing.

At least I did 2x 8 blight runs for the first time, and the synergy of our group was fantastic for the 2nd and 3rd runs. But yea, no loot mixed with bad loot for all that effort really kicked me back to reality. I mean I got 2x 312 Ghosts, when I was wearing a 314 one. So there's that. And a bunch of 310 HARD loot.

I wasn't a member of GAF at the time but I was following the thread like crazy back then. I remember how positive the posting was up until Crota. It was soul crushing even as a non member back then. They really did a number HM back then.

I still love running the sword on Crota. That was always fun to me.

I learnt to run the sword by replying to LFG posts that I was a swordbearer :d

phen0m24

yeah! I've been trying to get my Gunsmith level on my hunter just to test that weapon.

So, Hawkmoon to who? What should be the exotic HC of a Titan? Is the Warlock worthy of TLW?

If you're not using Tlaloc with your warlock you're doing it all wrong.

Tlaloc + 1kYS + MG or RL = WIN

Especially Stormcaller holy crap Have Super? TLALOC WRECKS.
Use Super? Lightning wrecks.

Titan = TLW plus 1kYS or Burden of Proof and MG/RL

Hunter: don't ask me but Ace of Spades is good, I think Imprecation might be now too

WeTeHa

3 more people needed!

I can join (31x nightstalker), if you don't mind me (occasionally) screwing up the oryx fight. So far I haven't been able to clear oryx on hard, I've done all other encounters though.

I can do runner pretty well, as I play triple jump with bones of eao (so 4 jumps). That way I can't screw up any bombs/knights/etc. Should be able to take out the vessel as well with raze lighter if needed.

I remember killing Crota on HM for the first time. As a Warlock. Being the Swordbearer. The way we did it was one Titan would run up there with me and place a bubble so I could my super faster. That entire night was a cluster fuck.

Edit: I join DestinyGAF in February, started playing Iron Banner and that was it with everyone. Remember when Stable told me to try out the Last Word (Thanks man). And when me, Trace, and GalacticToast was 1st or 2nd GAF team that made it to Merucry in May.

deadduck

I've got a screenshot of 10:29am (GMT) on NM mode when I first got to Crota, we gave up on Crota about 13:30 as the two Americans in our group had stayed up through the night and had to be at work.

I don't remember hardmode release much because my memory was wiped by spending so long with him.

darknil

If you're not using Tlaloc with your warlock you're doing it all wrong.

Tlaloc + 1kYS + MG or RL = WIN

Especially Stormcaller holy crap Have Super? TLALOC WRECKS.
Use Super? Lightning wrecks.

Titan = TLW plus 1kYS or Burden of Proof and MG/RL

Hunter: don't ask me but Ace of Spades is good, I think Imprecation might be now too

Yeah, I've had my Tlaloc glory days, it just wrecks with sunsinger providing grenades. i was just curious on how exotic HCs would fit other classes hehe

I've been using The First Curse for a while and now it's decent, now on par with others.

Ryck

yeah! I've been trying to get my Gunsmith level on my hunter just to test that weapon.

So, Hawkmoon to who? What should be the exotic HC of a Titan? Is the Warlock worthy of TLW?
Hawkmoon on the Titan as it's slow but powerful just like a Titan.

AOS is my favorite HC. Wish it wasn't a class exclusive.

Disclaimer:

I don't ever remember actually calling out T-44 for not getting back to the Crystal room, but since I couldn't remember a specific person, he's the the only one I felt like I could throw under the bus lol.

eh, it's not like he's gonna know anyway
Kappa
even though he's a member, he seems to still lurk, lol XD

Top Bottom