• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

WipedOut

This weekend sure but this 5 est stuff. Man I'm still at work at 5.

And going to visit my grandpa tonight - he's in the hospital :(

Hit me up this weekend, I have my daughter this weekend so that means I'll be on at night.

PS4 - Crota's End Hard Mode: 5-5:30 PM Eastern.

1. W193D0UT
2. NamiKaze1
3. Moi - aka Fig
6. Death

Fixed.

Pocket Infinity has never been allowed in sweaties for damn good reason, it was a bullshit weapon that let people lock down entire lanes and cheese their way to victory and you could do fuck all about it. Even now in it's nerfed state it's still a pain in the ass to go up against and a semi-skilled hand can cause a fuckton of havoc.

Fuck this weapon, it's an utterly broken piece of shit.

haha nah, Vex will always be king of OPness. But PI could easily be "most broken," only slightly mitigated by need for special (which admittedly was not hard to come by before special ammo nerfs).

For whatever reason it never caught on the way Suros/Thorn/TLW did and never caused the same level of problems outside sweaties. It made sense to ban it there but that list is about overall Crucible, not specific case of sweats. My actual list would be:

Vex, Thorn, Suros, TLW, PInfinity, Hawkmoon, Red Death, Mida.

Deku Tree

320 Titan is more important than 320 Warlock IMHO

CZPtnOKUAAAhlid.jpg

Any one up for HM Daughters and Oryx? I have the cp after golg, so there might be some jumping involved.
Lets say 5pm est

Pandora

That scream at the end though.....

haha I haven't watched it and this description isn't encouraging me... *shudders*

Hit me up this weekend, I have my daughter this weekend so that means I'll be on at night.

PS4 - Crota's End Hard Mode: 5PM Eastern.

1. W193D0UT
2. NamiKaze1
3. Moi - aka Fig
6. Death

Fwiw you can very easily run the whole thing with 2-3 people, although if other people want to tag along that's cool too.

Deku Tree

Rumors, but this is likely what Jason has heard I bet.

This & Destiny going f2p.

Ok here is a guess:

Small MT focused february event.

Paid expansion in Q2. $20?

Another Paid expansion in Fall 2016. $40? Probably September again? Destiny 1 goes F2P around this time, but it probably does not include either paid expansion.. . possibly only includes y1 content.

But on the other hand I don't see why this would be not as good for hardcore players... so maybe this is not quite it?

Ok here is a guess:

Another Paid expansion in Fall 2016. $40? Probably September again? Destiny 1 goes F2P around this time, but it probably does not include either paid expansion.. . possibly only includes y1 content.

But on the other hand I don't see why this would be not as good for hardcore players... so maybe this is not quite it?

Probably due to the speed we burn through endgame content. For all the quests and shit that came with TTK I've hardly completed any

GlamFM

Banned
Ok here is a guess:

If it's going free there's no reason to wait. You want the free players to be around to buy expansions after all.

Prediction: vanilla goes free right about now.

WipedOut

haha I haven't watched it and this description isn't encouraging me... *shudders*

Fwiw you can very easily run the whole thing with 2-3 people, although if other people want to tag along that's cool too.

I updated it in a later post, just doing old school, 2 people can definitely do it, hell I've soloed it up to crota on xbox, just never actually attempted the crota fight, was just bored one day.

Just figure it's kinda fun to do as a group every now and then.

jschreier

Will the next Split Screen podcast talk about Destiny?
Yes!

Does that mean you have a second source already?

No $60 full game sized Destiny 2 in 2016 confirmed?
Nothing's confirmed yet. I promise that as soon as I've confirmed any of what I've heard, you guys will know. I haven't heard anything about F2P. That seems unlikely.

Let me be clearer: Bungie's plan was originally, as I reported, to do events and maybe a few other free content drops -- although I think they were mulling over charging for some of those, too -- up until D2 in fall of 2016. The rumblings I've heard are that, as of the past week or two, this plan has changed. I have not yet been able to confirm the specifics of what the roadmap looks like now, but it's impossible to know if it'll be a "good" or "bad" thing until we actually see what kind of content they put out over the next two years.

Of course, if you read my story from October you know that Bungie has been constantly rebooting and shifting plans during the development of Destiny, so if this is true, it isn't too much of a shocker. Either way I think we'll hear officially within the next week.

Deku Tree

EDIT: ^^^^ didn't expect to double post the same time as Jason wow! Yeah I agree.

Of course, if you read my story from October you know that Bungie has been constantly rebooting and shifting plans during the development of Destiny, so if this is true, it isn't too much of a shocker. Either way I think we'll hear officially within the next week.

As I've said before I loved your article from October. I am also really glad to hear that we will hear something officially within the next week!!! Thank you!

Got to thinking last night. "This year" is kind of ambiguous since it could mean this fall & Destiny 2. (He hinted at this with LT about not being certain about Destiny 2 this fall anymore).

Or it could mean the rest of Destiny Year 2. Which would make sense as to why he's posting today, when Bungie gets back to Year 2 hyping.

Or it could be both.

I think in the end, the reason for these tease posts is two fold: give DGAF a headsup that stuff might be going down AND see if he can't flush out another source. I'm sure that Bungie reads DGAF, even if it's sporadically. If he can post here and saying in effect "I have one source on something happening" then he might be able to get someone else who might not want to be the original source, but could confirm to reach out to him.

This is doubly so for any Bungie dev who cares about the hardcore and may not like the big change, hence his positioning of the news.

I'd say Jason is pretty savvy about all this is, even if we're a bit frustrated in the meantime.

The way I see it, Jason has previously made statements on GAF saying more or less that the next paid expansion will be during Fall 2016 and it will be a $60 game and that he was told that your same characters would load into the same Destiny world with new additions to it.

The main reason that Jason would be saying stuff now is because (1) he likes to keep us informed which is fantastic and we love it and (2) because his previous statement is now wrong because Bungie's plans have changed.

Then (2) would mean I think most likely that they Q2 "biggest expansion since TTK launched" that bungie has previously teased will not be free.

Can anyone imagine going back in a year and doing a fun run of King's Fall?

Like, Vault is glory at any difficulty.
Crota's End once you're over level is pretty fun. It's like a 6 man strike.
Skolas was perfectly tuned (post-burn), but I bet he'd be a fun fight except for the 5 levels of Prison before him.

But King's Fall? I can't imagine going back and doing it. It's just tedium.

In an attempt to make a raid that couldn't be cheesed, they made a raid that didn't have any longevity.

GlamFM

Banned
Yes!

Nothing's confirmed yet. I promise that as soon as I've confirmed any of what I've heard, you guys will know. I haven't heard anything about F2P. That seems unlikely.

Let me be clearer: Bungie's plan was originally, as I reported, to do events and maybe a few other free content drops -- although I think they were mulling over charging for some of those, too -- up until D2 in fall of 2016. The rumblings I've heard are that, as of the past week or two, this plan has changed. I have not yet been able to confirm the specifics of what the roadmap looks like now, but it's impossible to know if it'll be a "good" or "bad" thing until we actually see what kind of content they put out over the next two years.

Thank you.

E92 M3

Skolas was perfectly tuned (post-burn), but I bet he'd be a fun fight except for the 5 levels of Prison before him.

In an attempt to make a raid that couldn't be cheesed, they made a raid that didn't have any longevity.

I really like the Oryx battle, partially due to all of the elevation change and different dynamics.

Oryx is a very fun fight for me.

Jafku

Yes!

Thanks for keeping us informed Jason

Raven117

HAHA, wow, yeah the Crota HM was sink was truly something to behold.

It was, quite simply, gamer egos getting crushed...Legit gripes...but in the end...crushed egos.

(And, even now, I would take the boss fight of Crota HM over Oryx...Oryx is really no fun at all...There is ZERO room for error or to improvise).

Yup, you're right. Don't see myself running KF a year after it launched.

VoG is glorious so I'll play that anytime regardless of loot.

Scrota is a 20 minute strike with full fireteam and fun with swords and new subclasses.

King's Fall:

Portal and Totems are painfully long and boring.

Warpriest was fun the first few times because S H A D O W B O Y Z but it's just stand in a bubble and snipe. Challenge mode is a joke.

Golgoroth is the best KF encounter but made easy by one-orb strat. Not sure who's brilliant idea it was to put all 3 armor pieces in the loot pool of one boss. Challenge mode makes everyone gaze, even if it's just for 5 seconds, so mechanically it's great.

Jumping parts I actually don't mind but way too long.

Hidden chests was a good idea but 2 shards and antiquated runes, no thanks.

Oryx is just so repetitive and monotonous. Challenge kill was enjoyable when it came out but regardless of light or gear, there is only one way to play this encounter = boring.

Raven117

Yes!

Thanks for the post!

Really, this is the most logical explanation of why they went radio-silent. They are trying to figure out what they want to do, how to release it, and how to keep Activision happy.

Edit: I don't think "Destiny 2" (as defined by me as dropping last gen support) is coming out this year. I think we get another TTK in the fall (maybe a little bigger). And it will look similar to year 2. NEXT year though...that will be THE year. (been wrong before).

Namikaze1

Skolas is easy nowadays. Took two gaffers with me on a run last week and beat the whole thing in 24 minutes. A better team can do it even faster.

I promise that as soon as I've confirmed any of what I've heard, you guys will know.

I just wanted to echo Deku and Jakfu's sentiments
Dekakfu
and say thanks for everything you do for the Destiny community at large and DGAF in particular. It's much appreciated and adds a lot to the discussion around here. I really value having someone in the media who's so engaged and knowledgeable about the game, considering how often that isn't the case.

Yup, agree 100%. I've been saying the same thing for awhile. You have to give a new raid some time to settle into farm status before really understanding its design. "Cheese proof" and "tedious to repeat" are the two things that have stuck out most to me for KF.

I really like the Oryx battle, partially due to all of the elevation change and different dynamics.

Oryx is a very fun fight for me.

Great! I'm not here to tell you you're wrong.

For me, I like running, but almost all the other positions are pretty boring. Stand here. Shoot stationary target. Run over here and stand still, shoot stationary target. None of the mechanics really gel well, it's just a crapshoot.

My favorite moment in any raid is when you're transported in the Past or Future with Atheon. I grab the relic and charge forward, My two fireteam members stride forward shooting each singing Oracle as I smash into the Vex who bar our way. The difference in pace, the frenetic crashing of me & my aegis and the steady pace of my team reminds me of the opening to this scene in Lord of the Rings.

Got a favorite moment in any raid, E92?

WipedOut

Yup, you're right. Don't see myself running KF a year after it launched.

VoG is glorious so I'll play that anytime regardless of loot.

Scrota is a 20 minute strike with full fireteam and fun with swords and new subclasses.

King's Fall:

Portal and Totems are painfully long and boring.

Warpriest was fun the first few times because S H A D O W B O Y Z but it's just stand in a bubble and snipe. Challenge mode is a joke.

Golgoroth is the best KF encounter but made easy by one-orb strat. Not sure who's brilliant idea it was to put all 3 armor pieces in the loot pool of one boss. Challenge mode makes everyone gaze, even if it's just for 5 seconds, so mechanically it's great.

Jumping parts I actually don't mind but way too long.

Hidden chests was a good idea but 2 shards and antiquated runes, no thanks.

Oryx is just so repetitive and monotonous. Challenge kill was enjoyable when it came out but regardless of light or gear, there is only one way to play this encounter = boring.

It was a great experience when done for the first time, outside of that it's monotonous and boring. It says something when the best part of the raid is the jumping puzzle, not that it's actually fun but more so for busting peoples balls for messing up.

LTWood12

Historic Post

Love this Nami. Remember watching you guys that day and being so pumped up until Crota started dragging on. If I remember right you guys were the first or second group worldwide to get to Crota. Doing the bridge the first shot was incredible.

That weekend was endless hours of trying to kill the bastard.

Yup, agree 100%. I've been saying the same thing for awhile. You have to give a new raid some time to settle into farm status before really understanding its design. "Cheese proof" and "tedious to repeat" are the two things that have stuck out most to me for KF.

Also, bloated. Crota's End was very small, yeah, but King's Fall has so much unnecessary traversal. Pendulum jumping puzzle, ship jumping puzzle, Golgi's Maze, Dick Cavern lengthened by Exotic chest jumping.

We finished our 3rd Golgi CM on Tuesday and I said, "let's finish this thing" then made it to the piston puzzle and nearly just went to orbit.

Raven117

Agreed that golgoroth is best boss encounter of the raid.

Also agreed with Vault being head and shoulders the best raid. That first time Atheon teleports you into the future or past...going blind....People run to the middle...Its awesome.

(I do think the Templar pit drags a little bit and can be a little long though...especially when cheesing).

Namikaze1

Love this Nami. Remember watching you guys that day and being so pumped up until Crota started dragging on. If I remember right you guys were the first or second group worldwide to get to Crota. Doing the bridge the first shot was incredible.

Nah, just first in GAF.

Though we did manage to beat it before Datto's group. :p

Plus there was that group that beat it in like 20 minutes and TripleWRECK's group and IGN were ahead of us.

Any one up for HM Daughters and Oryx? I have the cp after golg, so there might be some jumping involved.
Lets say 5pm est

Pandora

Hey, I have that same check point......

I could run it 1-3x on Grave's characters, depending on our level of scrubiness lol. I'd like to get him some better class items since he has 319-320 gear for every other spot on all 3 characters.

E92 M3

Great! I'm not here to tell you you're wrong.

For me, I like running, but almost all the other positions are pretty boring. Stand here. Shoot stationary target. Run over here and stand still, shoot stationary target. None of the mechanics really gel well, it's just a crapshoot.

My favorite moment in any raid is when you're transported in the Past or Future with Atheon. I grab the relic and charge forward, My two fireteam members stride forward shooting each singing Oracle as I smash into the Vex who bar our way. The difference in pace, the frenetic crashing of me & my aegis and the steady pace of my team reminds me of the opening to this scene in Lord of the Rings.

Got a favorite moment in any raid, E92?

Difficult question because I have so many favorite moments - which all center around loot:

- Getting the Fatebringer after 6 months of trying
- Vex Mythoclast on very first Hard clear that came down to the wire (probably favorite moment)
- Getting the Black Hammer which became my favorite gun in Destiny
- First Hard Crota kill
- First Oryx kill with only 4 people left alive

The common theme of my memories are the beginnings. Beyond that, I've done so many raids and had a lot of fun in those moments.

That's just to name a few highlights.

--

The reason I like Oryx so much is because it requires everyone to execute perfectly to a certain degree. Yes, the roles can become boring, but at the same time most of the time people start panicking after 1 death when it's still very much possible to win.

I don't think the Oryx fight is given enough credit.

LTWood12

Yes!

Thanks for keeping us posted as much as you can Jason. If we get even a shred of useful info regarding anything beyond the February mask event from the BWU this afternoon I'll be surprised.

WipedOut

Hey, I have that same check point......

I could run it 1-3x on Grave's characters, depending on our level of scrubiness lol. I'd like to get him some better class items since he has 319-320 gear for every other spot on all 3 characters.

I can join after the scota run, it should only take 15-20 minutes tops.

Triple Wreck's group was first to finish on Twitch, second overall. I remember there was some saltiness because the world's first group suicided after DSingers to wipe and quickly respawn at Crota instead of killing everything. Seemed smart to me but some people thought it wasn't "legit" blah blah.

World's first took like 28 minutes so nobody on DGAF was anywhere near that. Bungie also releases the "Top 10" list for fastest finishes after every raid release and I think something around ~45 minutes was needed to make that list.

LTWood12

Nah, just first in GAF.

Though we did manage to beat it before Datto's group. :p

Plus there was that group that beat it in like 20 minutes and TripleWRECK's group and IGN were ahead of us.

Triple Wreck's group was first to finish on Twitch, second overall. I remember there was some saltiness because the world's first group suicided after DSingers to wipe and quickly respawn at Crota instead of killing anything. Seemed smart to me but some people thought it wasn't "legit" blah blah.

World's first took like 28 minutes so nobody on DGAF was anywhere near that. Bungie also releases the "Top 10" list for fastest finishes after every raid release and I think something around ~45 minutes was needed to make that list.

Think you both misread my post. I was saying your group was one of the first to make it to Crota; which i'm almost positive you were since you guys only had one wipe up to that point. Then you hit a wall like most everyone else did. Wasn't Destin Legarie in that World's First crew? #standwithdevin

Namikaze1

Vault of Glass will always be my favorite. Even though it had its fair share of problems, nothing will top the descent into the Vault. The moment you entered the vault felt like entering a different world.

Crota's End was just too short and had way too many problems. And then there was hard mode. Those were dark days.

Not a raid but Skolas's Revenge, specifically the Skolas fight, was pretty good post burns. That first week honestly shouldn't had have Solar Burn. Made the fight way too easy when all you had to do was send Skolas off with the good old Gjallarhorn Salute.

King's Fall was interesting at first but now it's just tedious. And I agree with others. I don't see myself doing KF a year later.

Back in September, my ranking would be VoG > KF >>>>>>>>>>>>> CE

Nowadays, it's more like VoG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> KF >>>>>>>>> CE

Namikaze1

Think you both misread my post. I was saying your group was one of the first to make it to Crota; which i'm almost positive you were since you guys only had one wipe up to that point. Then you hit a wall like most everyone else did. Wasn't Destin Legarie in that World's First crew? #standwithdevin
Yeah, we had just one wipe (stupid fall damage killed Rodiard) but we definitely weren't the first to make it to Crota worldwide. It took use several minutes to clear out the ads after killing DS. By the time we were halfway done, that world first group killed Crota.

Plus, we didn't immediately wipe after rodiard died so we kinda wasted about 5 minutes.

Who came up with the middle strat for Crota? That was a god send for Hard Mode. Oh man...I wasn't a member of GAF back then. Having to get LFG groups and have people empty entire clips because they were too cheap with their coins and never wanted to buy heavy ammo. That was some straight up nonsense back then. I did get the Crux on my second HM Crota kill. I never got the Hammer until 2 weeks before TTK release.

Top Bottom