• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

Iceman829

Whats the over/under on a video releasing today showing off the next big thing for Destiny?

25% A video showing deej sending flowers and chocolates to a fellow guardian in destiny that both the sender and recipient need to pay silver for the package.

18% Something something about Iron Banner maybe

7% We noticed a vast number of guardians dying on the second pillar after warpriest incoming patch to remove the pillar.

100000000000% my name is deej and this is what I did on vacation. 10 paragraphs of nonsense and see you next week

This super long post on Reddit today critiquing ELO rankings used in Trials is also relevant to the discussion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyThe...elo_ratings_what_is_it_and_what_does_it_mean/

Basically yeah Bungie uses SBMM and it has been in since the beginning. And they tweak it sometimes without admitting it.

But it also seems like they use SBMM based upon the ranking of the fireteam leader and not your whole preformed fireteam. And on top of that connection quality has an extreme adverse affect on SBMM. Similar skill teams, one team benefitting from lag means that the other team dominates and it feels very unfair.

Hold the fucking phone!

What!?

Jesus, this makes so much sense. I've begun to hate playing Destiny with the wife because while she is a great player, there is a gap between her abilities and my own. So everytime we go into a PvP game, Bungie likes to match us up against people of my caliber, and never hers. When she plays with me, she'll end up 5th or 6th on the board, but when she plays by herself, she ends up 1st or 2nd almost always.

The important thing, of course, is that I'm always the fireteam leader.

Will be experimenting with this one in the future.

Deku Tree

Hold the fucking phone!

What!?

Jesus, this makes so much sense. I've begun to hate playing Destiny with the wife because while she is a great player, there is a gap between her abilities and my own. So everytime we go into a PvP game, Bungie likes to match us up against people of my caliber, and never hers. When she plays with me, she'll end up 5th or 6th on the board, but when she plays by herself, she ends up 1st or 2nd almost always.

Yeah the people I PvP with take it as a fact of life that the SBMM is based only on the fireteam leader. If we choose a very weak PvP player on the team to be the fireteam leader then the game is usually a massacre, and if we choose a pro mode player the opposite.

Next event will be an Easter themed event called "Festival of The Traveler." There will be hidden Easter eggs (ghosts) hidden throughout the tower. Similar to festival of the lost you will do quests for ghost shells that are ornately decorated. You'll be able to buy packs that will give you chances at legendary ghosts and the chance for a Bunny Hat. The Traveler will have bunny ears.

Frenden

Banned
Next event will be an Easter themed event called "Festival of The Traveler." There will be hidden Easter eggs (ghosts) hidden throughout the tower. Similar to festival of the lost you will do quests for ghost shells that are ornately decorated. You'll be able to buy packs that will give you chances at legendary ghosts and the chance for a Bunny Hat. The Traveler will have bunny ears.
You make me cry with this.

E92 M3

I used mine for infusion fodder the day I got it.

I don't care what the weapon is, if I don't like the ADS, I wont use it. ToM has a shitty ADS to me, so I was done with it pretty quick.

I've never felt like I needed it, or was missing out by not having it. My 319 Hung Jury seems to be doing just fine.

I actually like the ADS!

This super long post on Reddit today critiquing ELO rankings used in Trials is also relevant to the discussion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyThe...elo_ratings_what_is_it_and_what_does_it_mean/

Basically yeah Bungie uses SBMM and it has been in since the beginning. And they tweak it sometimes without admitting it.

But it also seems like they use SBMM based upon the ranking of the fireteam leader and not your whole preformed fireteam. And on top of that connection quality has an extreme adverse affect on SBMM. Similar skill teams, one team benefitting from lag means that the other team dominates and it feels very unfair.

I honestly think SBMM has no business in normal crucible - it does not add anything positive. Just like CoD, Destiny should only be connection based. Trials of Osiris is our hardcore playlist.

18 weeks since the release of TTK

Have cleared all the challenge modes, Hard mode multiple times

Nobody has noticed that I still do not, in fact, have a Touch of Malice

Only those burdened by LFG truly need it ;)

I bet it was Todd wasn't it? :p

Team Dhruv Vader / MeMeMecello

1. Macello
2. Cosmos_Man
3. Dhruv_Hanom
4. Kartik
5. Mindlog
6. GraverobberX

Team XpLiCiT RaGe

1) xplicitone
2) death4romabove22
3) silvertongueBR
4) GhostFaceDon
5) Hydruxxo
6) Stallion Dan/KylieDOg

Team greyblade / Salvage Lord

1.greyblade
2.greyblades friend.
3.keanburke
4.toddv360
5.androo2300
6.grimlock33 Kor of Memory?

Team Dr Destinay is probably listed in the OT somewhere.

Damn! I felt like this was years ago. Haha good times.

chur

We're going to get Phogoth included in the strike rotations but he'll be takenfied. Not even Oryx can control an ogre unless it's taken.

I've been thinking about year 3 for a bit, especially when it comes to Vault Expansions or the idea of leaving last gen behind, and I can only come up with 1 solution to the Vault Problem.

We need a new Social Space.

I know that sounds dumb, but here we go: Destiny is an evolving platform, and from what it seems, what exists now, will exist in the future. This means that in order for us to break the chain of last gen, we have to create spaces that last gen cannot access. Because even if the content for Year 3 isn't sold on PS360, the existing content still has to be accessible. Bungie isn't going to shut off the old version with a message that says, "Time to spend $300 or whatever." They're going to keep Year 1 and 2 content available, and possible even some Year 3 stuff coming into last gen users.

So this means the tower, as it currently exists, is how it will always exist. Resources are scarce, so the odds of us getting another Vault expansion are slim in the Tower.

Thus, we need a new social space. One only available to people who purchase the next expansion. to create the barrier that they need. If they only sell the next expansion on PS4/XB1, then only those users will be able to access this new space. Thus, they can design that space around the newer hardware abilities.

However, I'm not sure how this would impact the existing vaults. Obvoiusly if you have another vault in a new space, it needs to talk to your old vault, and they need to be interchangable, and I'm not sure how to fix that problem yet. Outside of removing vendors from the Tower to the new social space permanently, but that runs the risk of alienating last gen players. Unless they just do it with like Eva Levante or something.

Another find on Twitter:

DESTINY KINGS FALL RAID POWER THE GLYPH CHEESE EASY METHOD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GplrXlsXlIo&feature=youtu.be

Thank the Traveller! We can finally beat Totems everybody!!!!

...yeah this method was discovered awhile back. I'm not sure how long a regular clear takes (because I usually fall asleep halfway through) but it takes 8 minutes in that video which sounds about right. Certainly doesn't save much time while making an already boring encounter even more paint-dry-y.

LTWood12

Epiphany:

Smite of Merain
Doom of Chelchis
Anguish of Drystan
Zhouli's Bane
Defiance of Yasmin
Midha's Reckoning
Silence of A'arn
Quillum's Terminus
Elium's Frenzy

They're all made from worm (Ahamkara) remains. This post is a lot longer than it needed to be.

FyreWulff

Hold the fucking phone!

What!?

They've done this since Halo.

Remember when people would invite me/you/Rat to a BTB lobby and we'd start pulling teams that tended to have a lot of 45-50 players on the other team? That's because our invisible Trueskill was really high and locked in from us playing so much BTB, so whenever we joined it would spike up the TS it looked for.

However, I'm not sure how this would impact the existing vaults. Obvoiusly if you have another vault in a new space, it needs to talk to your old vault, and they need to be interchangable, and I'm not sure how to fix that problem yet. Outside of removing vendors from the Tower to the new social space permanently, but that runs the risk of alienating last gen players. Unless they just do it with like Eva Levante or something.

It's safe to assume that when last gen is dropped, there's going to be a cutoff point where Destiny LastGen and Destiny CurrentGen worlds diverge and we won't be able to re-use characters and gear on either platform. They'll probably just snapshot characters at the platform breakpoint and that's what you'll have on PS3/360 going forward.

They've done this since Halo.

Remember when people would invite me/you/Rat to a BTB lobby and we'd start pulling teams that tended to have a lot of 45-50 players on the other team? That's because our invisible Trueskill was really high and locked in from us playing so much BTB, so whenever we joined it would spike up the TS it looked for.

Yeah, but I figured that was just us lifting the average up, which would still make sense.

If it's just based more on the team leader, though. That's a whole different setup.

Raven117

The letdown on the BWU is going to be pretty great.

I think yall are whipping yourselves into something over nothing with this.

SpecX

When is the update? Been stuck in a meeting all day and was hoping to see it. Heading back in soon, so I'm hoping for big changes/surprises.

FyreWulff

Yeah, but I figured that was just us lifting the average up, which would still make sense.

If it's just based more on the team leader, though. That's a whole different setup.

IIRC, it only did averages when the TS split within your own party was > 10 ("Looking for parties of mixed skill" in the UI). Otherwise it was whoever had the highest TS, because it was a critical component of boosting to 50. You needed someone to kite 50s to boost yours up faster.

You remember it, but Halo Wars was neat and did a team-based TS, which it'd inform you of when you started searching for games.

darknil

Epiphany:

Smite of Merain
Doom of Chelchis
Anguish of Drystan
Zhouli's Bane
Defiance of Yasmin
Midha's Reckoning
Silence of A'arn
Quillum's Terminus
Elium's Frenzy

They're all made from worm (Ahamkara) remains. This post is a lot longer than it needed to be.

I always thought that from the descriptions, they teased what happened after Oryx blasted the Awoken army, making them even Awoken weapons corrupted by the Dreadnaught.

Please let the queen be alive.

The moment when your boss has annual reviews done but you have to wait a week until you see the results. Only doing 2-3 per day sucks!

Well hopefully I can finish my last remaining task of Oryx challenge on Tuesday so I can say "2016 is off to a hot start. I collected all 50 calcified fragments and did nearly everything there is to do in Destiny, so I have that going for me".

It's safe to assume that when last gen is dropped, ....

I want to believe this will happen, but I don't believe it will in any dramatic way. That may be what Jason's change is related to. No #'d game updates, no generation shift. We're in a WoW situation I fear. No engine updates for like a decade.

In today's world:

03qvhr5.png

I want to throw some shade for having weeks and weeks to write this update and DeeJ is still 11th houring it, but I remember the last patch update and DeeJ wasn't told the right information, so yeah, DeeJ, take your time and get it right.

I want to believe this will happen, but I don't believe it will in any dramatic way. That may be what Jason's change is related to. No #'d game updates, no generation shift. We're in a WoW situation I fear. No engine updates for like a decade.

In today's world:

03qvhr5.png

I want to throw some shade for having weeks and weeks to write this update and DeeJ is still 11th houring it, but I remember the last patch update and DeeJ wasn't told the right information, so yeah, DeeJ, take your time and get it right.

d6a1143f571184db25f94613edd43b40af6d3a629221aba00d9efdcfef5efd84.jpg

More like he's trying to fluff out nothing into 1000 words and condesend us along the way

FyreWulff

1) The WoW client style has been apparent for a while now.

1a) You don't need a whole new game release to ship a new client. Taken King already reshipped the entire Destiny client, actually. Think of your Destiny disc or purchase as your coupon to download the latest Destiny client off the servers, Bungie can literally stick anything in there. You could wake up one day and it's Madden 2017, as an overkill example, but that's the type of updates you can push now in this generation.

annnnnnd

2) MS and Sony will literally be shutting down PS3/360 cert sooner than people think. Bungie won't be able to ship new content to there because nobody will be able to ship anything to those platforms. Those platforms are already in substantial spindown.

Iceman829

1) The WoW client style has been apparent for a while now.

1a) You don't need a whole new game release to ship a new client. Taken King already reshipped the entire Destiny client, actually. Think of your Destiny disc or purchase as your coupon to download the latest Destiny client off the servers, Bungie can literally stick anything in there. You could wake up one day and it's Madden 2017, as an overkill example, but that's the type of updates you can push now in this generation.

annnnnnd

2) MS and Sony will literally be shutting down PS3/360 cert sooner than people think. Bungie won't be able to ship client updates because nobody will be able to ship anything new to those platforms. Those platforms are already in substantial spindown.

I'm still expecting another 5 years of ea sports games and nba 2k on the ps3/360.

"Sorry this part of the vault is only accessible on the Playstation 4 or Xbox One"

They refuse to do that for some dumb ideal of parity between new and old hardware. They need to drop this ideal and improve current versions and let last gen versions stay shitty. The last vault upgrade was from finding 1mb of wiggle room, I can only imagine what they could do if they ignored last gen. A more cynical view would be that they are going to eventually sell vault space, but I don't think that is too likely.

In today's world:

03qvhr5.png

How does someone that's in charge of speaking to the community on behalf of the dev team type up unconfirmed details? If they were unconfirmed, why did you type them up in the first place? That gives off the impression that they're pretty unorganized over there.

Deku Tree

How does someone that's in charge of speaking to the community on behalf of the dev team type up unconfirmed details? If they were unconfirmed, why did you type them up in the first place? That gives off the impression that they're pretty unorganized over there.

Most of us who pay attention have had that impression for quite a long time now.

It seems to be more of a fact of life than an impression actually.

Just go and think about where the current OT title comes from.

FyreWulff

They refuse to do that for some dumb ideal of parity between new and old hardware. They need to drop this ideal and improve current versions and let last gen versions stay shitty. The last vault upgrade was from finding 1mb of wiggle room, I can only imagine what they could do if they ignored last gen. A more cynical view would be that they are going to eventually sell vault space, but I don't think that is too likely.

They've already done this with dances. The Thriller dance isn't available for PS3/360 and can't be transferred to them either. Armor and guns don't have idle animation on PS3/360 either. Parity has only meant the actual playable content itself since House of Wolves.

If something is only next gen compatible, they've only made it available on next gen.

LTWood12

In today's world:

03qvhr5.png

Update should be up in less than 3 hours, comes from an internal staff member, and still has unconfirmed details in it? They announced this update what, at least two weeks ago?

Hopefully he's just talking out of his ass, because if that's actually the case, what the hell is going on over there?

In today's world:

03qvhr5.png

"Unconfirmed details"

Is he riffing on Jschrier >_>;

Top Bottom