• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

edukate

Other people are obviously free to disagree, but I don't think we should talk about wanting any Bungie employees fired. There's no shortage of legitimate criticisms for Bungie's PR but there's also a big difference between valid critique and saying people should lose their livelihood.

I know I tend to be the Mr. Rogers of DGAF's neighborhood, but I just don't think it's something we want associated with our community.

Agreed. I definitely wouldn't want anyone compromising my livelyhood. However, given the constant criticisms from the larger Destiny community he needs to- and should have- step it up. Or re-write his JD and delegate the BWU to someone else...

spyder_ur

Holy crap - usually we save the trashing of the update and Deej until it is at least published.

I like it - letting the dogs out.

That being said, in all seriousness...
Other people are obviously free to disagree, but I don't think we should talk about wanting any Bungie employees fired. There's no shortage of legitimate criticisms for Bungie's PR but there's also a big difference between valid critique and saying people should lose their livelihood.

I know I tend to be the Mr. Rogers of DGAF's neighborhood, but I just don't think it's something we want associated with our community.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. The internet (and world?) is way too quick with this type of stuff. Not directed here especially and probably a whole other topic, but it bothers me.

ocean

Banned
What just happened here

image.php

LT grows old and weary waiting for the BWU to drop

Lee

When you're tasked with writing a 1,000 word (or whatever) update every week and the higher ups haven't green-lighted basically anything of note for you to communicate, you're bound to talk shit and go "hey look at this pretty video!".

I think you're right. Weekly updates don't seem like the right vehicle for community engagement right now. Update us when you have something to say, and show up here and on the forums and wherever else when issues/questions arise.

I miss the mail sack.

LTWood12

What I've never understood about the Deej hate is the idea that he's in charge of anything. He's just doing his job, relaying the information he's authorized to disclose at the time and pace that he's instructed to do so.

When you're tasked with writing a 1,000 word (or whatever) update every week and the higher ups haven't green-lighted basically anything of note for you to communicate, you're bound to talk shit and go "hey look at this pretty video!".

This is more an indictment of management than the PR folks and a classic case of shooting the messenger. Does the whole needlessly verbose writing style annoy me? Eh maybe but it's not such a big deal. Most of the Deej-hate stems from what he says (or saying so very little of note), and then is just made more annoying because of how he says it.

I think a meaty update is still met with satisfaction, big words or not. But whether a) there's a lot of interesting stuff to say and b) whether said stuff is the kind that makes us happy or makes us rage are the main determinants. And he doesn't control either.

It was so incredibly frustrating to me when the general population jumped down Luke Smith's throat for his candid Eurogamer interview last year. I found it totally refreshing, even if I didn't necessarily love everything I heard, I thought it was great that he felt like he could speak freely.

And of course, people made it into a shitstorm; which has resulted in a doubling down of what we call 'deej speak'

What I've never understood about the Deej hate is the idea that he's in charge of anything. He's just doing his job, relaying the information he's authorized to disclose at the time and pace that he's instructed to do so.

This is more an indictment of management than the PR folks and a classic case of shooting the messenger. Does the whole needlessly verbose writing style annoy me? Eh maybe but it's not such a big deal. Most of the Deej-hate stems from what he says (or saying so very little of note), and then is just made more annoying because of how he says it.

I think a meaty update is still met with satisfaction, big words or not. But whether a) there's a lot of interesting stuff to say and b) whether said stuff is the kind that makes us happy or makes us rage are the main determinants. And he doesn't control either.

Because Deej has predecessors that didn't have this issue. And when Urk does decide to talk, it seems to be exactly how he used to talk to us, which tells us it's not about what they can and can't say, but who's saying it and how it's being said.

WipedOut

Because Deej has predecessors that didn't have this issue. And when Urk does decide to talk, it seems to be exactly how he used to talk to us, which tells us it's not about what they can and can't say, but who's saying it and how it's being said.

Slow clap.gif

He is awake but might fall asleep swording crota.

I plan on just sitting on a shelf sipping on a beer, maybe firing a few shots.

phen0m24

That's one of the reasons I've never changed it before, but I guess I was a bit bored of it anyway. I'll probably change this one as ell at some point, so don't get too used to it. :p

Mine is
my initials and I like the car as well.
:p

Maybe I should put Hank Hill as mine for a bit

That's one of the reasons I've never changed it before, but I guess I was a bit bored of it anyway. I'll probably change this one as ell at some point, so don't get too used to it. :p

I changed my name, so I feel like I have to keep my avatar. :p

(Not that anyone was asking me.)

For the Destiny or Division problem, Space >>> Post-Apocalypse for me.

(edit: Destiny is kinda both, tho, huh? But it's mainly space.)

Frankie was king of the BWU. Obviously things have changed inside the studio but reading about tiny sections of development with such laser focused interest like frank did with water while not mind blowing was at least entertaining. I'd love to see some really digging into the development of destiny content in the BWU's like why not get intrinsic about the development of HoW or a dev flythrough of a space like the lighthouse with facts and info about the design choices?

Frankie was king of the BWU. Obviously things have changed inside the studio but reading about tiny sections of development with such laser focused interest like frank did with water while not mind blowing was at least entertaining. I'd love to see some really digging into the development of destiny content in the BWU's like why not get intrinsic about the development of HoW or a dev flythrough of a space like the lighthouse with facts and info about the design choices?

The easiest thing in the world for them to do is release stats.

From what I understand they have monitors all over Bungie that show almost every statistic you could think of. Why not share one or two of thos with us a week?

This week at Bungie it looks like more rep was turned into New Monarchy than FWC and Dead Orbit combined.

This week at Bungie it looks like Titans performed more revives than Warlocks or Hunters, but were also revived more than Warlocks or Hunters.

This week at Bungie it looks like the old Exotic Ruin Wings trigger an additional 7.6 million heavy ammo packs.

This week at Bungie it looks like 360,000 people completed the Gold Tier Trials Bounty.

etc...

GlamFM

Banned
The easiest thing in the world for them to do is release stats.

From what I understand they have monitors all over Bungie that show almost every statistic you could think of. Why not share one or two of thos with us a week?

This week at Bungie it looks like more rep was turned into New Monarchy than FWC and Dead Orbit combined.

This week at Bungie it looks like Titans performed more revives than Warlocks or Hunters, but were also revived more than Warlocks or Hunters.

This week at Bungie it looks like the old Exotic Ruin Wings trigger an additional 7.6 million heavy ammo packs.

This week at Bungie it looks like 360,000 people completed the Gold Tier Trials Bounty.

etc...

Nope. Must be convoluted and sound like something from game of thrones.

In other news, my coworker said to me today:

"Kor, whats that website you use to google stuff?"

Note that we are both IT professionals in the government sector...

Note that there is a 30 year age gap between us...

WipedOut

Held back?

Do people not know the BWU doesn't have a designated time of arrival?

What I don't understand is why does it take last minute to release an update? Let's say they were on vacation until this past monday, you know you have a deadline for thursday. Why do they wait till the last minute to release this? Is Deej a procrastinator? Is it whoever edits it? Just seems very unprofessional.

GlamFM

Banned

Bet it´s Ask Jeeves.

What I don't understand is why does it take last minute to release an update? Let's say they were on vacation until this past monday, you know you have a deadline for thursday. Why do they wait till the last minute to release this? Is Deej a procrastinator? Is it whoever edits it? Just seems very unprofessional.

Riddle me this - why do we expect this BWU to come out any sooner than all the other ones?

We´re still on track.

No need to panic or call anyone unprofessional.

LTWood12

Search Engine rankings circa 1997
Yahoo>>>>>>>>>>>Lycos>Alta Vista>Excite>Webcrawler

WipedOut

Bet it´s Ask Jeeves.

Riddle me this - why do we expect this BWU to come out any sooner than all the other ones?

We´re still on track.

No need to panic or call anyone unprofessional.
It's not just this one, it's every weekly update. Just seems odd that it's released randomly on Thursday

It's 1:30 there. Barely after lunch.

Chances are he hasn't been gathering stuff for the past 3 weeks, but started this particular week like every other week with his gathering of data to put into the BWU.

The studio was running with a skeleton crew this past couple weeks. Even if Deej was there on hand, it's not like the people who supply him with intel likely were as well.

It's not just this one, it's every weekly update. Just seems odd that it's released randomly on Thursday

It's not randomly. It's between 3pm and 4pm Bungie Time every Thursday afternoon.

I wholeheartedly agree. The gaming community in general can be very off with their heads. I remember when people were saying that Iwata should be fired for whatever reason. Wasn't there a situation where-in GAF was responsible for someone losing their job, or am I remembering that wrong?

WipedOut

It's 1:30 there. Barely after lunch.

Chances are he hasn't been gathering stuff for the past 3 weeks, but started this particular week like every other week with his gathering of data to put into the BWU.

The studio was running with a skeleton crew this past couple weeks. Even if Deej was there on hand, it's not like the people who supply him with intel likely were as well.

It's not randomly. It's between 3pm and 4pm Bungie Time every Thursday afternoon.

This is just my opinion, not everyone will share it not should they. Not really trying to stir anything up, just making an observation

NastyBook

What we have so far.

PS4 - Crota's End Hard Mode: 5-530 PM Eastern. Start time.

1. W193D0UT
2. NamiKaze1
3. Moi - aka Fig
4. skywalker_3li
6. Death (If he's awake)

Not fired but they need to pull Deej off the weekly update (IMO), maybe that's why they hired Cozmo, train him and let him take over leaving Deej to do the press junkets and interviews, I would be fine with that if Cozmo can do the job.
Got a spot left? PSN: GibbShift

Top Bottom