• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

Yeah you are in the oh shit zone for sure, stay warm

I'm in Christiansburg, one town over from Virginia Tech

yeah, ain't in the cards. my kids are already talking about making an igloo outside...

o_O

edit: ToP
my son and I are in the process of transforming this:

aeksDic.jpg

to something like this:

MgVyrDx.jpg

Doing NM KF Raid - Start to hopeful finish - 8pm est

Pandora012
Pandora's friend
GibbShift
WipedOut
SpecX - Tentative

You guys know you want to do normal mode! It's not like doing Hard mode actually gives you better items....

maomaoIYP

I'll probably make it to double figures in garrisons seeing as that's all I've gott from previous engrams. Are you staying up for Trials or shall we do it tomorrow morning?

Sorry for the late reply, I can do a card before bed if you're around in about 2 hours, just got back from a farewell dinner.

Really? I got a PS4 for Destiny, so maybe I need to pick up the remaster? Thanks for the tip!

I would strongly recommend it. Its a fantastic game that hits fathers pretty hard. Its pretty cheap these days too.

Edit: haha that is the look of disappointment on my face ruthless :p

darknil

So, I read on this thread that maybe leaders' skill was being taken into account for MM, I've been doing pretty bad on Trials since TTK, so any pros would like to try carry me on EST night just to see for fun if we don't get so much sweaty matches? :p

I don't mind not getting into Mercury, but I haven't been there since Dr Drizzay school back on HoW.

Edit: Go Play TLOU, now it is the time.

WipedOut

Wow Twilight Garrison looks pretty ugly. Also, why do people want the Tarantula so bad?

Pandora012
Pandora's friend

I'll run a Quick NM.

I'll be home in about 10 minutes but don't worry about waiting if you guys find a 3rd.

Having a really hard time deciding between Division on PC or PS4.

Pretty perplexed on what to do about this myself.

Yeah I've been stuck in the same quandary myself. Still haven't redeemed my beta code yet.

I'm tempted to go PC master race to give the game it's best chance to shine since I'm not that hyped anyway. But if I end up liking it the friends base on PS4 is gonna be necessary to give it some longevity. And then I'll just be depressed that it looks and runs so much worse, lol. Decisions decisions.

SpecX

Pandora012
Pandora's friend
GibbShift

You guys know you want to do normal mode! It's not like doing Hard mode actually gives you better items....
Are you accepting first timers? I'm at light level 311/312 depending on my gear using my titan. If so pencil me in while I try to get out of work early and gain my wife's approval. I should have an update in an hour or 2.

spyder_ur

Nice article from Jason Schreier. Really summarizes my feelings that while the lack of content is disappointing, it is also understandable and reasonable, and the biggest problem is the lack of a roadmap communicated to players.

It's concerning, to say the least, that seemingly that roadmap doesn't even exist at Bungie.

GlamFM

Banned
Good job, Jason.

It´s more or less what the hardcore base assumed for a while now.

I hope that puts some pressure on Bungie to lay out a plan (as rough as it may be) for 2016.

Nice article from Jason Schreier. Really summarizes my feelings that while the lack of content is disappointing, it is also understandable and reasonable, and the biggest problem is the lack of a roadmap communicated to players.

It's concerning, to say the least, that seemingly that roadmap doesn't even exist at Bungie.

And that communication seems to be rough. Again I'll bring up a similar(If not bigger) company, Riot Games, and they've always made it a point to communicate to the playerbase. Because of this, I imagine communication within the company itself is great as well. As Riot has said, when one section has an idea they usually inform the section that can do it if it's possible, and they work out all the details.

It's baffling that changes are made to Destiny without swathes of the employees not knowing about this, leading to miscommunication whether on twitter or the BWU. Whether it's the 'buff' fiasco(No no we didn't mean 4% buff, we meant .04% buff! No no matchmaking prioritizes conn-Oh I guess not.).

Communication is key. And Bungie seems to be having issues there ._.;

Are you accepting first timers? I'm at light level 311/312 depending on my gear using my titan. If so pencil me in while I try to get out of work early and gain my wife's approval. I should have an update in an hour or 2.

First time doing a raid? No problem! Also, 311 is more than enough for Normal Mode.

Raven117

Good job, Jason.

It´s more or less what the hardcore base assumed for a while now.

I hope that puts some pressure on Bungie to lay out a plan (as rough as it may be) for 2016.

This...

It became pretty apparent that Destiny 2 was not coming out this year. Disapointing, but for sure reasonable considering what has happened.

My bet...they dedicate a few brave souls to make that "bigger content" that has been sort of announced into something bigger. (Will likely be something about 1/2 as big as Taken King) But more than House of Wolves...We will get a raid....And that's it for year 2 in any real way.

Next Sept. 2017 Destiny 2.

Good read like always. Sooner or later, the community will just stop caring and will just start enjoying the game as soon as there are new things.

Also, I didn't know about the tweet, oh my.

UkjZvlw.png

Nice article by Jason. And yeah, first time I'm seeing that tweet. Yeesh! How can something like that even happen?

Beagles329

Neo Member
About to do the Daily, but is there anyone around that still needs Black Spindle? If not, I'll just run it normally and anyone can join if they want. Just post here if you actually want to do the Spindle run since I won't be on mic.
I'm one of the few that still need it and would appreciate the help. Available any time until 3:00 central time.

PSN:Beagles329

Good read like always. Sooner or later, the community will just stop caring and will just start enjoying the game as soon as there are new things.

UkjZvlw.png

Its rubbish he never knew, we're expected to believe that Lars alone made changes to match making and never told anyone. Nor was it discussed internally when posts were popping up all over Bungie.net and Reddit

theres also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaRsjqDdeew&feature=youtu.be&t=895 where Sage and Jon drop him in it

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If I understand this correctly, you mean a Thriller emote isn't actually worth US$5, on the basis that it cost them nothing and is just a token for having donated some Bungie Tax? Stop me if I read that wrong.
The Thriller emote can actually hold a US$5 real-world value for someone.
What something costs to create or reproduce has absolutely no bearing on its value. Value is inherently and irrevocably subjective - nothing in the world, not gold and not cash and not bonds - nothing has any "worth" beyond whatever people's demand for it is.
In the context of this discussion about microtransactions I totally get what you are saying here. First off, for the purposes of this response just bear in mind that I know you know this stuff, and I'm trying to unpack a complex idea for anyone who doesn't get what I was driving at, rather than attempting to educate you personally on the subject (I'm sure I would fail at doing so anyway).

If we're looking at it broadly, value is not a simplistic concept with a single clean definition, but rather an almost ubiquitous economic and philosophical notion subject to enormous debate and entailment. Consider the difference between economic value and market value, let alone market price; consider utility (many times called "use value") versus value in exchange, or either one versus the notion of ethical value or "goodness." This makes for a versatile word in English... consider how the entire sense of the word can be quite different in phrases such as "a good value" (nominally equivalent to "a bargain") and "cultural values" (prescriptions about what is important or significant to a societal group).

Competing theories in economics often view the problem differently because of the implications as to how a market should run, but all of these theories are important. The relevant denotations of value here are:
  • Intrinsic value, which is value actually inherent in a good or service itself, and something that absolutely does exist in some cases
    • This frequently entails labor value, a consideration of the socially required labor to produce a good or service (related to my mention of the amount of effort required by Bungie to produce any given thing)
Note that we're not talking at all about pricing yet, as these notions of value exist without it. Consider as an example two sets of the same types of drill bits, one basic carbon steel and the other cobalt steel. There is a a simple and demonstrable difference in quality- both from the perspective of the effort and materials used in production (labor) and the actual functionality provided by each (utility). This is steeped not in the marketplace but a philosophical consideration of observable reality: that some items produced are just objectively better than other similar items, discounting altogether ideas like personal preference, desire, convenience, sentiment, and so on.

While intrinsic value is often completely absent from the equation when analyzing an exchange of goods, it isn't a wholly made-up notion either. Obviously, emotes do not have this type of value in any sense, and what you're referring to when you say "nothing in the world...has any 'worth'" outside of demand, you're of course referring to:
  • Subjective value, derived from the importance an acting buyer places upon a good or service's ability to meet their particular need or want. When someone describes something as being "priced at what the market will bear," they are of course invoking subjective value.
    • In particular for this case I'd specifically call out the idea of sentimental value, wherein only the buyer's personal feelings are driving perceived monetary worth. This is where you end up with $100 Blacksmith shaders et al.
In purchasing cosmetic DLC you're tacitly agreeing with Bungie's newfound philosophy, granted. But this doesn't change the fact that they're offering value to customers who, absent coercion or misinformation, are voluntarily making a decision to trade (cash for emotes).
My point then, is that the bold is not actually the exchange taking place.

Rather than "ca$h4emotes" it's cash for Silver -> Silver "for" emotes, but the emotes as already addressed aren't "worth" Silver.

I can understand how this must seem like an arbitrary distinction, but there are a number of implicit factors that are incredibly important from a business sense, and these are why I was trying to get people to reconceptualize purchasing Silver as a contribution in support of Bungie that also yields access to token rewards, rather than the simple voluntary trade you imply above. For starters, consider the notion of a 600 Silver emote... a superficial look at the pricing might have one thinking that such an emote "costs" $6.00USD. But if you have no Silver, what must you spend at minimum to purchase this emote? $10, of course. If you want the emote, you pay that money whether or not the additional 400-500 Silver has any bearing on your desire. This is simple pricing psychology, but feeds right into the concept I'm discussing here- that spending money on Silver is best considered monetary approval of Bungie's actions and not a pedestrian exchange of goods. I invented the silly notion of the Bungie Tax to make this simpler to consider from a consumer standpoint; it is inadequate to describe this scenario with the adage of "you get what you pay for." This isn't unique to Destiny of course but true of any game that employs a virtual currency purchased with real money. It also bears mentioning that, of course, neither Silver nor anything purchased with it have any resale value, something that is untrue of the actual game disc of Destiny I originally purchased, even to this day.

I want to be clear that I'm not undermining or attempting to discredit the practice Bungie is employing, at all. The reasons Eververse is a good idea for Bungie are as obvious to me as they are to you. I'm just trying to help people, especially those in the hardcore bracket, contextualize their purchases in light of the full developmental scope of the game.

to not sell stuff people wanna give you money for is dumb and irresponsible towards your shareholders.
While I don't think I disagree with you on this point, it does bear mentioning that Bungie is not a publicly traded company. The buyers of the "stuff people wanna give you money for" are not the beneficiaries of the profits.

I do think a rational case could be made that it isn't necessarily irresponsible not to sell emotes for real money (even though people will pay for them), at least in a vacuum. One could argue that if Bungie were to deliver emotes regularly to the playerbase for free, it might boost activity levels and drive longer-term purchasing, at the obvious expense of short-term recurring revenue.

So you're completely correct in saying they won't stop so long as people buy it. But I'd like to point out that they are indeed offering an enticing value proposition, else they wouldn't be making money with this.
I think what I am getting at is that the value proposition you're referencing here is actually tangential to my point. As you have noted on many occasions, Bungie would be well within their rights and actions as an economic agent to price an emote at the equivalent of $1000 were they to believe the market would sustain such a price. That's not what I'm talking about.

The thrust of my argument is here: if you both spend money on Silver and complain about the direction the game is heading- of the two, the Silver is what will resonate more with Bungie and steer their development course. The money you spend outweighs the amount, accuracy, or prominence of your complaints. That may not be karmically satisfying whatsover, but it is the reality of the situation.

In reading over my posts I can see that it would be easy to disingenuously boil my point down to "if you're buying Silver then you have no right to complain," but that's not it at all. I just think it's really important to contextualize the notion of "buying an emote" and why it seems like Bungie may be so stubbornly and vexingly refusing to change course.

UkjZvlw.png

Sounds like they have some internal management and communication issues to iron out still.

Nami. Todd. Igor. Trials peeps. I'm having a wisdom tooth removed. There's a good chance I'll be under the influence of pain medication later today and unable to shoot the broad side of a barn. Hopefully I can a run or two tomorrow.

Namikaze1

That cut Dares of the Nine activity...

Me wants.

Sounds like they have some internal management and communication issues to iron out still.

Nami. Todd. Igor. Trials peeps. I'm having a wisdom tooth removed. There's a good chance I'll be under the influence of pain medication later today and unable to shoot the broad side of a barn. Hopefully I can a run or two tomorrow.
No problem. Take care.

ocean

Banned
As I said the other day:

If they had to delay HoW (that amazing content bomb with a single strike and 3 Exotic weapons), there was no way in hell they'd have a sequel ready a year after TTK.

Not that it's a bad thing. If you can only give us a single TDB sized expansion every 8 months and a sequel every three years or whatever that's fine. But not saying a damn thing just makes people create expectations and ultimately be disappointment when plans are finally unveiled.

A BWU saying "sequel sometime late '17, rest of '16 will consist of events and emotes" would be far better than this "hey guys Crimson Doubles next week! I'll tell you what this event is...next week!"

D_psipher

Buy soup and ice cream. Had all four removed a couple of years ago and I loved the person who gave me that advice. It may not be so bad for you since it is only one tooth but it was hell for me doing all four at once. Rest up guardian.

Deku Tree

One source told me that Bungie has asked the live team—a small group of developers at the studio who regularly come up with these events and other updates for Destiny—to build several new DLC packs over the next year to make up for Destiny 2’s delay. Yet it seems likely those plans will change, too; the live team is small, and that sort of schedule seems as unsustainable as what Bungie tried during Destiny’s first year, which was emotionally and physically exhausting for many on the development team.

nothing but SRL until destiny 2, facepalm.

FyreWulff

Well, they did jump from a (relatively) small studio to 500 some odd people. You're going to have growing pains when you go from making games where everyone sort of had a hand on everything to distinct disciplines and areas of the games that one team touches, you're going to have hiccups along the way.

I've literally never seen a studio upsize like that and not have issues as they figure out the communication paths, while trying to avoid the Fortune 500 style of everyone having seven layers of management at the same time. While that F500 style can have a "everyone is marching in lockstep!" to it, it also tends to be less organic and bury new ideas.

That cut Dares of the Nine activity...

Me wants.

No problem. Take care.

Thanks. Good luck on any runs today.

Buy soup and ice cream. Had all four removed a couple of years ago and I loved the person who gave me that advice. It may not be so bad for you since it is only one tooth but it was hell for me doing all four at once. Rest up guardian.

Good advice. It's my second one I'm having removed(I had the first one removed about 7 years ago), but it never hurts to have some ice cream on hand.

Well, they did jump from a (relatively) small studio to 500 some odd people. You're going to have growing pains when you go from making games where everyone sort of had a hand on everything to distinct disciplines and areas of the games that one team touches, you're going to have hiccups along the way.

I've literally never seen a studio upsize like that and not have issues as they figure out the communication paths, while trying to avoid the Fortune 500 style of everyone having seven layers of management at the same time. While that F500 style can have a "everyone is marching in lockstep!" to it, it also tends to be less organic and bury new ideas.

That's true. I forgot they bumped up in size due to the live team.

Top Bottom