• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

Highwind

sign me up.
Will be online playing Bastion, but will switch over to Destiny if we get a group going.

Great, added you. :)

Last day to do the Golg challenge. Need 5 and a CP for HM. If no CP don't mind running warpriest.

1. Highwind / PSN: RagnarokMB
2. WeTeHa / PSN: WeTeHa

Edit: Top page again.....got naff all.

guXGNDh.jpg

SpecX

I kind of want Bungie themselves to come out and kill this rumor. They've already shown they can't communicate with one another on other topics so what's to say the person responding to the email is up to speed on all the decesions being made?

um: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

EDIT: If I had to guess then Destiny is making a lot of money and Activision is quite happy with the franchise.

I edited in a response after I saw it was debunked.

That said, it's not about bungie making activision "a lot" of money. It's about them making "the most" money.

Speaking purely from a business stand point, Bungie doesn't seem like a great asset. Sure when it works, it works amazingly well, and brings in those profits. But when it's not bringing in those profits it's headaches and rule exceptions and constant renegotiation, and blah blah blah.

But everyone isnt.

The best people in the game get the best weapons, the easier kills and they keep steamrolling. Poor players get caught up in this never getting to more powerful weapons.

It's not OK or good game design to allow OP stuff just because you start off with the same crappy weapons. Some players will end up nearly untouchable, sure its fun for them, but not the 0.5kdr Guy trying to counter them and dying all the time.

Success breeding easier success can kill games off early, this can be seen with the amount of people that quit games in Halo5 and CoD when some on the other team are on high killstreak.

Start quitting matches and it won't be long before you start quitting the game and new content won't bring you back.

so you're ok with the system right now where everyone starts off with the best sniper rifles and pulse rifles and hand cannons right off the bat?

I mean, you're arguing against a system that would gate access to these OP weapons as they currently are. I'm not saying 'Make Thorn a 1 hit kill', I'm saying 'Stop people from starting off with powerful weapons with the best rolls on them'. I'm saying gate access to the weapons as they currently are. I'm sick of doing a crucible match only to have half the enemy team sniping me within the first minute, and I'm sure you're sick of getting hit by a Thorn 30 seconds into a match. You're saying some players will end up untouchable by gating exotics and strong purple drops, I'm saying that's already happening because they immediately get access to their strongest gear 5 seconds into the match.

So when you argue that 'But people won't play because only the good players get the good weapons!'.....that's what it kinda is what now, no? Except these 'poor players' as you put it have to deal with people who have the best guns right off the bat instead of starting on a level playing field. I'm not saying make Thorn a 1 hit kill or Sniper Rifles literally have tracking bullets that kill you instantly. These aren't 'killstreaks', these are ways to have everyone start equally and to have the match progress by skill early on into the match, and not turn into a shitfest immediately.

flkraven

I kind of want Bungie themselves to come out and kill this rumor. They've already shown they can't communicate with one another on other topics so what's to say the person responding to the email is up to speed on all the decesions being made?

Other than a random representative, they won't. Just like they never make hard statements for the most part. Because they don't know what the heck they want to do, so they want to leave every option available. Maybe they won't sell synths today, but maybe they will sell them in a month. Same as the cosmetic-only micro transactions.

Trakan

EDIT: If I had to guess then Destiny is making a lot of money and Activision is quite happy with the franchise.

Activision loves bragging about their games. They still haven't said how many copies Destiny sold or given anything other than playtime. That makes me think it's lower than expected.

Speaking of, EuroGamer just published "It's time for Destiny to show its hand"

This year, Destiny has flown blind. Bungie has failed to set players' expectations and the impression is one of indifference. That, or the developer is simply keeping schtum about the road ahead because there is so little to talk about...

Bungie's preference for drip-feeding information via flowery blog updates has only infuriated fans further. Most players are simply asking for more transparency - for Bungie to say 'look, we're sorry things are taking longer than we thought', to set expectations and say 'we have a half dozen new missions which should be ready in April, until then our focus is just to keep the game running smoothly until the release of Destiny 2'.

Bungie needs to be more open with its community and let people know what to expect. With this, Destiny's community can better manage their own expectations. Bungie has always talked about Destiny being a journey it will make in partnership with its fans. It's time to see if this can really happen.

Added link.

Two things to note about the debunking of Cash for Heavy Ammo rumor:

1) The player base is so salty that something like that could fly. I've never seen a dev poison the well of player goodwill as much as Bungie has.
2) Jason's story about Destiny 2 was explicitly linked, but not denied.

Deku Tree

Activision loves bragging about their games. They still haven't said how many copies Destiny sold or given anything other than playtime. That makes me think it's lower than expected.

Activision reveals the same kind of information about Destiny as they do about almost all of their other games in their stable, as far as I can tell. Most game publishers don't revel very many sales numbers anymore for almost every game. They all come from leaks.

Saint9806

I think Bungie has some poor marketing strategies. All they have to do to quiet the masses is put up photo showing Destiny 2, or a new raid or whatever they have planned for this year. No video needed, no explanation. Just a photo teaser. They can't even do that. They have to know at this point what they want to do despite some things I have heard and read. Their communication is by far the worst I have ever seen.

SpecX

These stupid calcified fragments don't show up on any tracker website per character... I just spent a few hours going through them all on my Titan to see which ones I might have got on my Hunter and missed on my Titan.

Just got to 40 and need the raid ones, cm ones, and a couple CoO T2 and 3 fragments to hit 50. I said I would go for the 50, but with the lack of content I might as well check off that box.

Namikaze1

Damn. That Eurogamer article. I agree with all of its points. Can't wait to see more sites join kotaku and Eurogamer in this. Not even joking.

flkraven

I think Bungie has some poor marketing strategies. All they have to do to quiet the masses is put up photo showing Destiny 2, or a new raid or whatever they have planned for this year. No video needed, no explanation. Just a photo teaser. They can't even do that. They have to know at this point what they want to do despite some things I have heard and read. Their communication is by far the worst I have ever seen.

Maybe....they don't have anything for this year? Or at the very least, the have no idea how much or how little they will release this year. It won't be Destiny 2, but it may not even be a raid or anything.

Damn. That Eurogamer article. I agree with all of its points. Can't wait to see more sites join kotaku and Eurogamer in this. Not even joking.

Mhm. I mean, again I keep bringing up Riot Games, but not only are they nearly a third of Bungies age(Bungie founded in 1991, Riot in 2006), but Riots communication is by far second to none. Just a few weeks ago they hinted on a new champion by sneakily editing some of the characters pictures, and this is weeks before the new champions release. Even Blizzard with Heroes of the Storm or Diablo 3, even World of Warcraft has said 'Hey this is what is coming up within the next year'.

Bungie seems to be having a problem doing that. Yes we got Crimson Doubles, but really that's not the content that people really want. There's no new weapons, nothing new to experience. Bungie could make strides just saying 'Hey this is what we're working on for you guys' and just plaster a picture. It would sate people.

flkraven

Bungie seems to be having a problem doing that. Yes we got Crimson Doubles, but really that's not the content that people really want. There's no new weapons, nothing new to experience. Bungie could make strides just saying 'Hey this is what we're working on for you guys' and just plaster a picture. It would sate people.

We don't even know what Crimson Doubles is. With Bungie's recent track record, we can only assume it is basically just Doubles but with level advantages enabled. Aka, it's nothing.

We don't even know what Crimson Doubles is. With Bungie's recent track record, we can only assume it is basically just Doubles but with level advantages enabled. Aka, it's nothing.

I assume there will be some special 'Valentines Day' themed shaders that drop, and emotes that are for sale. I can't expect any less from them at this point. If they manage to fuck even that up, then I will be astounded.

Yup. It will have some type of $10 buy in for a special shader and emblem.

The fear of missing out mentality will temp folks to buy it.

so you're ok with the system right now where everyone starts off with the best sniper rifles and pulse rifles and hand cannons right off the bat?

I mean, you're arguing against a system that would gate access to these OP weapons as they currently are. I'm not saying 'Make Thorn a 1 hit kill', I'm saying 'Stop people from starting off with powerful weapons with the best rolls on them'. I'm saying gate access to the weapons as they currently are. I'm sick of doing a crucible match only to have half the enemy team sniping me within the first minute, and I'm sure you're sick of getting hit by a Thorn 30 seconds into a match. You're saying some players will end up untouchable by gating exotics and strong purple drops, I'm saying that's already happening because they immediately get access to their strongest gear 5 seconds into the match.

So when you argue that 'But people won't play because only the good players get the good weapons!'.....that's what it kinda is what now, no? Except these 'poor players' as you put it have to deal with people who have the best guns right off the bat instead of starting on a level playing field. I'm not saying make Thorn a 1 hit kill or Sniper Rifles literally have tracking bullets that kill you instantly. These aren't 'killstreaks', these are ways to have everyone start equally and to have the match progress by skill early on into the match, and not turn into a shitfest immediately.

the playing field will never be level because the skill level differential will always exist. speaking as a less-skilled player, I would personally never again enter crucible if they gated weapons in such a way.

EL CUCO

Bungie is even stretching out the BWU's by not telling us what Crimson Doubles is at the time of announcing it. It's only a week long "event" (game mode) and they're acting like it's new DLC or something. It would be nice if it comes with a new map that isn't absolutely terrible

the playing field will never be level because the skill level differential will always exist. speaking as a less-skilled player, I would personally never again enter crucible if they gated weapons in such a way.

Right, there will always be a skill-gate associated with it, but I believe it would be more fair to people who are less skilled to start from a level playing field then to have the strong players have strong weapons and wreck from minute 1. And when somebody does get access to that Thorn, they don't keep it for the rest of the game, just one life, and then it's back to that level playing field.

Things like skill will always exist, but that's why they're leaning so hard into MMR based matchmaking(And not connection based matchmaking)

Lnkn52

Bungie is even stretching out the BWU's by not telling us what Crimson Doubles is at the time of announcing it. It's only a week long "event" (game mode) and they're acting like it's new DLC or something. It would be nice if it comes with a new map that isn't absolutely terrible

If they have nothing to write every week, then make it a Monthly/bi-weekly update.

These stupid calcified fragments don't show up on any tracker website per character... I just spent a few hours going through them all on my Titan to see which ones I might have got on my Hunter and missed on my Titan.

Just got to 40 and need the raid ones, cm ones, and a couple CoO T2 and 3 fragments to hit 50. I said I would go for the 50, but with the lack of content I might as well check off that box.
They're updating Bungie.net so it's possible to track fragments per character. It could come as early as this week.
https://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/187874508/0/0

I think you'll like this one...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...que-chance-to-steal-its-players/#4a4b2f004a0b

I agree. I want to see big sites calling them out. Its the only chance for them to see that the current situation is not working out since they have shown they dont care about the community's cries itself.

Right, there will always be a skill-gate associated with it, but I believe it would be more fair to people who are less skilled to start from a level playing field then to have the strong players have strong weapons and wreck from minute 1. And when somebody does get access to that Thorn, they don't keep it for the rest of the game, just one life, and then it's back to that level playing field.

Things like skill will always exist, but that's why they're leaning so hard into MMR based matchmaking(And not connection based matchmaking)

hmm... I see what you're saying. but in some ways, it seems like 6-of-one, half-dozen-of-the-other, if you catch my meaning. it's most certainly a difficult riddle to solve, though, that PvP balance equation. :/

edit: and as a less-skilled player, while it's frustrating to get wrekt by super-sweaty players, it's sometimes pretty darn cool to encounter players like TripleWreck in the wild
and get wrekt by him. but hey, I killed him... once...

oh, and i'm super excited about the announcement of Valkyria Chronicles Remastered for the PS4! SOOOOO STOKED! I played the crap out of that game!

edit2: lol that subtitle for the Eurogamer article, "Patience and Time"
bungie's response - "No Time to Explain"
Kappa

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I get SO salty when I drink and Trials, haha. My posts from last night are so whiny. >_< Was fun times, even if I didn't go flawless. Sucks to keep getting close and getting burnt out, though.

The player base for Trials seems too small for people like me at the moment. In past weeks I would get one or two really intense teams, now it feels like every match is a struggle.

I get SO salty when I drink and Trials, haha. My posts from last night are so whiny. >_< Was fun times, even if I didn't go flawless. Sucks to keep getting close and getting burnt out, though.

The player base for Trials seems too small for people like me at the moment. In past weeks I would get one or two really intense teams, now it feels like every match is a struggle.

Yeah, this is the problem I had all day yesterday. As the player base continues to shrink you get the hardcore of the hardcore. It sucks going up against snipers that know every freaking sight line in the game. Obviously the rewards for flawless are muted, but still...

Auctopus

As I only started last November-December, I've only just realised there's a Legendary Mark cap (I think Jafku may have told me that when I started, actually) so I've essentially been burning/wasting potential marks as I reached the cap a while ago.

Is there anything now/on the horizon I should get with them?

I'm Light Level 291/Warlock.

Sh0k

Last day to do the Golg challenge. Need 5 and a CP for HM. If no CP don't mind running warpriest.

1. Highwind / PSN: RagnarokMB
2. WeTeHa
3. Shokleeto

I need the challenge but I'm at work right now, if you guys want to run it at night around 8pm EST I can join, I have the hard mode CP with my Hunter

LTWood12

As I only started last November-December, I've only just realised there's a Legendary Mark cap (I think Jafku may have told me that when I started, actually) so I've essentially been burning/wasting potential marks as I reached the cap a while ago.

Is there anything now/on the horizon I should get with them?

I'm Light Level 291/Warlock.

Hung Jury SR4 Scout Rifle from Dead Orbit.
1000 Yard Stare Sniper Rifle from Vanguard Quartermaster
Paleocontact Auto Rifle from Dead Orbit
Ruin Wake from Crucible Quartermaster

That's a good start.

Yeah, this is the problem I had all day yesterday. As the player base continues to shrink you get the hardcore of the hardcore. It sucks going up against snipers that know every freaking sight line in the game. Obviously the rewards for flawless are muted, but still...

I'm only in it for the scarab now, if that and a Party Crasher with half decent perks drop I won't know what to do with myself

I know I made a comment about PvP yesterday, but damn we're way below the Sine Wave. I don't know if we've ever been this low.

We really just need some positive information on ANYTHING other than "we'll attempt to fix PvP next month".

Back then we knew HoW and TTK were coming out so it wasn't as bad. Now we have no idea.

LTWood12

You know it's bad when the reason I'm most excited for reset is the prospect of 'Will of Crota' being the nightfall; and on an Iron Banner week too.

SBMM is so rubbish i'm getting matched with players from Hong Kong now :(

I've been noticing how mm works, it looks for 1-2 players in the same region, then matches us with anyone from anywhere in the world.

darknil

I know there's already justifiable amount of salt regarding Destiny, so today i'm trying to think what is the best case scenario for Crimson Doubles event to not be another just masks event.

What elements could have to be a decent event based on what we know?

- Crimson loot drops can be 310+
- Smart loot for new shaders (kind of like SRL)
- Quest Line that granted Ghost or Class Armor of 320 LL
- New free map

Those seem doable if Bung-- ok, I'll try to stop the salt now.

LTWood12

If the lifespan of Destiny were literally the plot to Homeward Bound, we're at the part where Shadow gets stuck in that mud pit and is too old to climb out. Chance and Sassy don't leave us behind.

edit: sorry for the spoilers.

I know there's already justifiable amount of salt regarding Destiny, so today i'm trying to think what is the best case scenario for Crimson Doubles event to not be another just masks event.

What elements could have to be a decent event based on what we know?

- Crimson loot drops can be 310+
- Smart loot for new shaders (kind of like SRL)
- Quest Line that granted Ghost or Class Armor of 320 LL
- New free map

Those seem doable if Bung-- ok, I'll try to stop the salt now.

-Crimson Doubles wins count towards Doubles Grimoire Wins

Top Bottom