• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
rIC6io2.png

Last IB was fun. Can't wait.

This one chick on Twitter I follow that plays destiny played cards against humanity today and tweeted:

"a lifetime of sadness + a micropenis = dead orbit #CAH"

OK, so I've never played Halo 5 but I was thinking about the whole warzone mode and how it could work well in Destiny. It could be really interesting to bring PvE and PvP together in a game like Destiny. It could create an interesting flow where you might kill some AI enemies then push the other team with supers or you could see people having to use loadouts that are good for PvE and PvP. Could be a cool idea for Destiny 2.

OK, so I've never played Halo 5 but I was thinking about the whole warzone mode and how it could work well in Destiny. It could be really interesting to bring PvE and PvP together in a game like Destiny. It could create an interesting flow where you might kill some AI enemies then push the other team with supers or you could see people having to use loadouts that are good for PvE and PvP. Could be a cool idea for Destiny 2.

Imagine a pvp mode where everything was perfectly balanced. Everyone started out with auto rifles and a fusion rifle for secondary.

Imagine that your equipment were sort of 'burn cards' you have to earn. Get 3 kills in a row without dying? You get to use your Thorn the next life. You get 10 kills overall in the match and didn't get another 'equip card'? You get to use your Machine Gun/Rocket Launcher. You stumble your way and die 20 times in a row? You get to use your sniper rifle, because garbage is still garbage.

Imagine a system like that in destiny. Suddenly it's ok for Exotics to feel strong. It's ok for Shotguns to feel strong. It's ok for hand cannons to feel powerful. Because everyone starts off equal. Everyone has an opportunity to earn the right to use a stronger weapon that they earn. Suddenly Bungie doesn't have to nerf shotguns to the ground, they don't have to nerf anything because PvP is intermittently more fair than before. And balancing for PvE? They don't need to nerf PvE weapons either because of their bad PvP updates.

BUT BUNGIE WILL NEVER LEARN. NO, NERF ALL THE GUNS BECAUSE OF WHINERS AND FUCK PVERS WHO WANTED TO USE A SHOTGUN, BECAUSE WE DON'T KNOW HOW TO BALANCE SEPARATELY FOR BOTH.

snip

BUT BUNGIE WILL NEVER LEARN. NO, NERF ALL THE GUNS BECAUSE OF WHINERS AND FUCK PVERS WHO WANTED TO USE A SHOTGUN, BECAUSE WE DON'T KNOW HOW TO BALANCE SEPARATELY FOR BOTH.

Ehh I've thought about stuff like that, but I think for the most part you can't change Destiny PvP without it becoming something completely different. I think most PvP balance problems could be handled by better listening to the community and actually pushing balance patches at a decent quip.

As for PvE shotguns being nerfed I too am still super bummed about it. It made HoW a lot more fun, I don't know why they hate fun :(. They nerfed to keep everyone from using shotguns but now everyone just uses snipers so good job. Make all special weapons feel powerful and just drop less ammo instead of the meh-fest right now.

Ehh I've thought about stuff like that, but I think for the most part you can't change Destiny PvP without it becoming something completely different. I think most PvP balance problems could be handled by better listening to the community and actually pushing balance patches at a decent quip.

As for PvE shotguns being nerfed I too am still super bummed about it. It made HoW a lot more fun, I don't know why they hate fun :(. They nerfed to keep everyone from using shotguns but now everyone just uses snipers so good job. Make all special weapons feel powerful and just drop less ammo instead of the meh-fest right now.

They don't nerf sniper rifles because apparently it's more 'skillful' to let Aim Assist take control then running around blind with a shotgun.

I don't know either.

deadduck

Imagine that your equipment were sort of 'burn cards' you have to earn. Get 3 kills in a row without dying? You get to use your Thorn the next life. You get 10 kills overall in the match and didn't get another 'equip card'? You get to use your Machine Gun/Rocket Launcher.

Hate this killstreak stuff in fps games, the avalanche design is poor.

OP year 1 weapons, SBMM and the speed high impact snipers can fire (or equip speed) aside I really enjoy crucible.

ocean

Banned
Lumi Shadestepping people to Mercury, two at a time. I can't imagine the patience required for these double carries shit.

It works when everyone's the avalanche.

Yup.

Like....if it was a closer system to Halo 5's warzone. Where everyone builds up 'points' to use weapons. Let's say you could pick from a pool of exotics. IE Thorn would be 5 points, whilst something like Conspiracy-D would be 3 points. Let's say you build up 5 points over a match(Whether capturing objectives, assists, whatever.) and you decide to pick Thorn. For your next life, you have Thorn. After you die, you're back to 0 points. But let's say you pick Conspiracy-D instead. For your next life you have the shotty, and when you die you still have 2 points left over, and let's say something like an Eyesluna is available for 2 points.

For destiny it could work where you assign your own weapons to different slots(IE things like Thorn or Invectus would go into a 5 point slot, or Conspiracy-D/1000 Yard Stare would go in the 3 point slot), and everyone starts off with a basic assault rifle. This let's the balance of the game be simpler-Suddenly you don't have to worry about someone starting off with a sniper rifle, everyone is on an even playing ground. As you and your team progress, you unlock points to use. You can save it for that Thorn, or you can use it for a 1000 YS. If you use it for the YS, then if you're a crackshot you can recharge your points faster, but because you don't start off with it like you currently do, then it'd be fine for it to have the highest aim assist.

It lets the weapons maintain their power, whilst having the bonus that not everyone starts with them immediately. Suddenly it becomes a choice on whether you want to use that Thorn or Red Death, Sniper Rifle or Shotty. Because everyone earns points, everyone has a chance of getting the weapons, but it doesn't mean that 20 seconds into the match you can be sniping multiple people at once. And because of that, it means PvP becomes more about skill and less about loadout. A person who's good with auto rifles, can do just as well as that one guy who is really good with a Thorn, because that person with an auto rifle has been rocking the gun since the beginning(And could upgrade to say, Suros or Hard Light throughout the match).

It's just a thought. I thought it was genius how Halo 5 did it for Warzone, if only because everyone is on equal footing for most of the game.

daedalius

Imagine a pvp mode where everything was perfectly balanced. Everyone started out with auto rifles and a fusion rifle for secondary.

Imagine that your equipment were sort of 'burn cards' you have to earn. Get 3 kills in a row without dying? You get to use your Thorn the next life. You get 10 kills overall in the match and didn't get another 'equip card'? You get to use your Machine Gun/Rocket Launcher. You stumble your way and die 20 times in a row? You get to use your sniper rifle, because garbage is still garbage.

Imagine a system like that in destiny. Suddenly it's ok for Exotics to feel strong. It's ok for Shotguns to feel strong. It's ok for hand cannons to feel powerful. Because everyone starts off equal. Everyone has an opportunity to earn the right to use a stronger weapon that they earn. Suddenly Bungie doesn't have to nerf shotguns to the ground, they don't have to nerf anything because PvP is intermittently more fair than before. And balancing for PvE? They don't need to nerf PvE weapons either because of their bad PvP updates.

That sounds kind of awful, and I'm playing warzone right now.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Seems like a good number are. Is it purely 3rd person?

I'm waiting for SF5.
I'm not sold on it yet, but I'm definitely in for the beta. If it is enjoyable then I will be moving on from Destiny until there's a substantial update with new content.

And the Division is a solely 3rdPS game from what we've seen so far.

deadduck

It works when everyone's the avalanche.

But everyone isnt.

The best people in the game get the best weapons, the easier kills and they keep steamrolling. Poor players get caught up in this never getting to more powerful weapons.

It's not OK or good game design to allow OP stuff just because you start off with the same crappy weapons. Some players will end up nearly untouchable, sure its fun for them, but not the 0.5kdr Guy trying to counter them and dying all the time.

Success breeding easier success can kill games off early, this can be seen with the amount of people that quit games in Halo5 and CoD when some on the other team are on high killstreak.

Start quitting matches and it won't be long before you start quitting the game and new content won't bring you back.

Ghazi

It depends on the game, really. CoD, for example, really nails making you feel good about everything you do even if you aren't doing well.

Unstable

But everyone isnt.

The best people in the game get the best weapons, the easier kills and they keep steamrolling. Poor players get caught up in this never getting to more powerful weapons.

Success breeding easier success can kill games off early, this can be seen with the amount of people that quit games in Halo5 and CoD when some on the other team are on high killstreak.

You're allowed access to tiers of weapons based on your team's collective level throughout the match. You're allotted points to purchase items based on your teams level. Level 5 = 5 points. You, the player, can elect to spend your points on a weapon or power up, once you do, those points take a nontrivial amount of time to regenerate (It's based off of team performance and objectives held.) but it's substantial.

This system is not a kill streak reward. It's team progression, incentivizing objective play and killing AI around the map, over killing players. In fact, the PvP in Warzone is, while absolutely important at times, mostly inconsequential to winning a match.

deadduck

You're allowed access to tiers of weapons based on your team's collective level throughout the match.

OK, bit different if its team averaged. I suppose it could be a bit of a problem running randoms vs teams, but if the objective is team based, maybe that gamemode isn't for randoms.

Unstable

OK, bit different if its team averaged. I suppose it could be a bit of a problem running randoms vs teams, but if the objective is team based, maybe that gamemode isn't for randoms.

If anything Warzone is the mode for randoms. Remember, it's 12v12 here. One player's contribution (or lack there of) isn't a huge detriment to their team's success. Also, killing AI is a core objective. Allowing for players who struggle in classical PvP to contribute significantly to their team's effort.

deadduck

If anything Warzone is the mode for randoms. Remember, it's 12v12 here. One player's contribution (or lack there of) isn't a huge detriment to their team's success. Also, killing AI is a core objective. Allowing for players who struggle in classical PvP to contribute significantly to their team's effort.

Thanks, I should get Halo5 out of wrapper. Only got an Xbox for the division alpha!

Trials has just been a lot more sweaty since TTK. The addition of SBMM and Card Matching are huge factors that in my opinion hurt trials. Other factors like everyone picking up snipers and mostly poor map choices has also added to the sweat factor. The low playerbase of only hard-core players currently exacerbates these issues. It's really unfortunate too because now I feel like it is much harder for an average player like myself to get to Mercury thanks to getting matched against ridiculous teams or super laggy teams. Back in HoW Mercury was much more attainable and getting there wasn't so frustrating.

I really hope Bungie listens to fan feedback (they won't) and removes skill based matchmaking from crucible altogether. Like Triple said in that video Frenden linked last night SBMM is killing the one of the only things that gives the game longevity right now. To make matter worse I don't recall that many complaints about crucible not being competitive enough or being too lopsided. It's frustrating when teams are lopsided but the solution is to just balance the teams better not switch to SBMM. Ironically in a GI video leading up to TTK one of the lead crucible designers said the crucible isn't meant to be taken too seriously, that it was just a place to have fun. I don't k of how they moved away from this so drastically.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Trials has become like all of Destiny end game content that is mismanaged: zero margin for error.

Even with a mercy and boons it just feels like such a chore that involves too much luck to get to Mercury. I appreciate that it's SUPPOSED to be difficult, but this just feels dumb.

I'm surprised they'd charge for ammo synths, that seems kinda invasive. The silver stuff isn't too intrusive now so let's hope this is false.

Yeah it seems a bridge too far even considering their current crappy microtransaction scheme. It would be one thing if microtransactions went towards something meaningful, but they haven't yet. I also don't take much credence in "sources close to Bungie" anymore since Bungie supposedly has incredibly poor internal communication.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1175106&page=100000

Anyone see this?

Not going to be angry until it's confirmed but ffs.

Time to stock up.

Hoard as many ammo synths, armor mats and weapon parts as you can right now :/

Why classic rumble? I just played a couple matches and got destroyed same as I would in any other mode using a sword hilt...

Classic rumble you can take 2 friends in your fireteam and just kill them to farm the kills. Also since it is a year 1 playlist, it usually has weaker/newer players and not as challenging as regular rumble.

Top Bottom