• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

FyreWulff

Destiny is a casual game and the designer himself said the purpose of the crucible was to relax and have fun.

Even casual games implement some form of skill based (it's all a bunch of levers and dials to adjust, not just binary yes/no) because it keeps new players from being driven away by getting stomped into oblivion constantly by veteran players.

LTWood12

CBMM & SBMM aren't mutually exclusive. SBMM should always be part of the equation, but there has to be a breaking point w/ regard to ping that the system deems unacceptable.

E92 M3

Even casual games implement some form of skill based (it's all a bunch of levers and dials to adjust, not just binary yes/no) because it keeps new players from being driven away by getting stomped into oblivion constantly by veteran players.

Call of Duty does just fine with connection based MM. In fact the entire community was revolted when they added SBMM for 24 hours. More often than not, matches will flow well.

CBMM & SBMM aren't mutually exclusive. SBMM should always be part of the equation, but there has to be a breaking point w/ regard to ping that the system deems unacceptable.

I would rather lose to a better player than me with a solid connection than play against an evenly matched player who I can't even damage.

FyreWulff

Call of Duty does just fine with connection based MM. In fact the entire community was revolted when they added SBMM for 24 hours. More often than not, matches will flow well.

Nothing matters in Call of Duty, though, so I see why it'd be successful in that game. Map control, gun control, and flow have never meant anything with that series' gameplay style of asym perks and instant respawn, and once you manage to get ahead, the game rewards you even more and allows you to pull away even faster. Death lasts a mere second before you respawn with a button press.

Destiny isn't Call of Duty.

Mindlog

Witness me!
I'm closing in on 300 LL with no good loot. Damn game.
They shouldn't be mutually exclusive :]

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I am playing a game of IB right now and there is a player on my team that doesn't understand the game at all.

Let me be clear. This player has such a low understanding of the game that twice he has grabbed the spark and ran back to our rift!

Dude was just running back and forth over the rift trying to score. He lived for quite a while too because no enemies could find him.
What an idiot

E92 M3

Nothing matters in Call of Duty, though, so I see why it'd be successful in that game. Map control, gun control, and flow have never meant anything with that series' gameplay style of asym perks and instant respawn, and once you manage to get ahead, the game rewards you even more and allows you to pull away even faster. Death lasts a mere second before you respawn with a button press.

Same could be said for the regular crucible. It's a fun, casual experience where everyone does their own thing (just like in CoD). And CoD can be very competitive if competent teams are playing (just like Destiny). In fact, all of the killstreaks (Blops 3) are very balanced and can be destroyed rather easily. You're simplifying it too much.

I digress, though. Destiny and CoD are great shooters that benefit much more from having connection based MM. Super competitive games like Halo and CS are different beasts though.

Witness me!
I'm closing in on 300 LL with no good loot. Damn game.

Good luck! I was stuck at 297 for a good while before they brought back Trials of Osiris. I really only play PvP, so Raid wasn't really in the cards. Good news is that once you hit 300, you exotics can drop at 310, which you can use to infuse you gear.

I'm currently at 309; I'm being held back my class item.

I am playing a game of IB right now and there is a player on my team that doesn't understand the game at all.

Let me be clear. This player has such a low understanding of the game that twice he has grabbed the spark and ran back to our rift!

Dude was just running back and forth over the rift trying to score. He lived for quite a while too because no enemies could find him.
What an idiot

You sure that wasn't me again?

LTWood12

What an idiot

Troll detected.

No, according the the armory, it cannot. When you look at an item's stats in the armory, if one stat has a higher range than the others, it means that item will always roll with that stat.

Damn, you mean this:

I was going of of this instead:

:(

Another one of those things that are not clearly explained in this game *sigh*

What an idiot

You still get points for holding the spark. That player was OP.

LTWood12

What an idiot

Maybe he was on a vita, and holding an infant, and his wife asked him to go make a bottle for the baby, so he ran as far away as he could just to stay alive while afk.

Purely hypothetical. I've definitely never done this.

Tri4

Ugh, my first solo venture into conntection-based rift:

First game I get a 2.7 KD. In the old MM system, my next game would be sweaty as hell.

Well, my next game was sweaty as hell. Everyone on my team was below 1 KD. Everyone on their team was above 1. Everyone on my team was below red-orange connection.

Mindlog

Good luck! I was stuck at 297 for a good while before they brought back Trials of Osiris. I really only play PvP, so Raid wasn't really in the cards. Good news is that once you hit 300, you exotics can drop at 310, which you can use to infuse you gear.

I'm currently at 309; I'm being held back my class item.
I meant 300 Witness puzzles solved :]
My characters are ~317-319 or something I forget. Stopped infusing stuff because 311+ was good enough. As long as my exotics decrypt at 310 I'm good.

I have like 14 Exotic Armor and 5 Exotic Weapon engrams just waiting for a reason to use them.

FyreWulff

If you want to defend SBMM, be my guest, but this is just asinine hand-waving.

It's not asinine. Call of Duty emphasizes it's action loop on the guns you spawn being good in all situations, low penalty for death, fast kill times, and low priority on proper spawning. Whomever percolates to the top fastest is given even more ladder rungs to climb up and end the round. The per-game memories don't really exist, more moments that can happen at any time. I wrote many posts on GAF explaining why even just adding universal instant respawn to Halo 4 fucked up the action loop for Halo.

Destiny has a slower kill time and slower respawn, meaning a higher death penalty. When death matters more, you need to put more weight on skill since high-skill players will make lower skill players spend too much time staring at the respawn screen, making it more likely the players will leave the game. In Call of Duty, it doesn't matter since the penalty for death is "press X to respawn with all your stuff again". With more weight on skill, the game's other mechanics like map control for heavy ammo and special ammo spawns and objects work better and produce more memorable games.

This isn't actually a negative remark on Call of Duty - multiple games have parts of the design doc that outline areas "don't matter", because they more or less are the stage the actual intended emphasis parted plays on. SBMM failed in CoD because there's been eleventy games with very light skill weights in their matching, to accomodate the game's design and 60fps update rate. The same revolt would have happened if Halo suddenly went from SBMM to pure CBMM.

Destiny is on it's second revision, so this is why in this particular case I'd prefer to see people actually just see how different modes work, then leave actual feedback, instead of spewing some overdone hyperbole about how certain settings are cancer or quote 'retarded' unquote or some conspiracy theory that Bungie doesn't care. I used to get all wound up about Reach updates, but now that games are all continually updated I just take a "hey, if it don't work out then they can change it" attitude.

Damn, you mean this:
(image 1)

I was going of of this instead:

(image 2)

:(

Another one of those things that are not clearly explained in this game *sigh*
Yes, the first image. Graviton will always have intellect. I got tricked too, wasted like 15 glass needles trying to get a dis/str roll.

recks

Have you ever played CoD?

So ehh how's the new connection?

Yo, do you play R6 Siege on PC or PS4?

umm... something destiny related.... ummm.... SBMM! Discuss! *phew* this post was almost off-topic...

Edit: boom, Destiny

Yes, the first image. Graviton will always have intellect. I got tricked too, wasted like 15 glass needles trying to get a dis/str roll.

Yeah I wasted at least that many. Honestly I don't care that much about Glass Needles; what really sucked was losing 150-200 Armor Materials since I'm nearly out of those and they still don't sell them for glimmer sadly.

todd360

Are you fucking kidding me right now noomi? I didn't even last one page in the division thread without having my cover blown. Do you not see the disguise? Did you not see me claiming to have never played a shooter before? God damn it. I'm going to have to make a new disguise.

Yeah I wasted at least that many. Honestly I don't care that much about Glass Needles; what really sucked was losing 150-200 Armor Materials since I'm nearly out of those and they still don't sell them for glimmer sadly.

Same, took me an hour to earn those armor mats from court of oryx and gone in a couple of seconds :(

btw rawr, kartik, dhruv all play r6 on ps4

SpecX

You still get points for holding the spark. That player was OP.

Really? That explains the matches I played in last night where people were holding the spark and running down the timer. I thought they didn't know what to do or were just being jackasses, but it makes sense that they were trying to run up their score to be the top player. Didn't matter anyways since we lost all those matches.

Really? That explains the matches I played in last night where people were holding the spark and running down the timer. I thought they didn't know what to do or were just being jackasses, but it makes sense that they were trying to run up their score to be the top player. Didn't matter anyways since we lost all those matches.

Sometimes when I play with randoms it's hard for us to get the spark. We'll always kill the enemy runner, but we're never getting the spark to make a run ourselves.

This tells me my team is better at Clash than Objective.

Thus, I'll grab a spark and hold it and let my teammates go to town on kills so we can catch up a bit.

Also, You get a giant beacon over your head for the enemy team to see when you have 30 seconds to dunk.

FyreWulff

Also, I really wish Destiny had put Snipers in the heavy category, instead of Special. I think it would have made more sense since you wouldn't spawn with Snipe ammo and would have to go back to the dangerous center of the map to get more. Also, have always considered Sniper Rifles as being in the "heavy" category anyway.

stay gold

Did anyone pick up a PDX-41 today by any chance? The 1st roll looks nice, but I just know a god roll will come up next week if I take it.

Also, I really wish Destiny had put Snipers in the heavy category, instead of Special. I think it would have made more sense since you wouldn't spawn with Snipe ammo and would have to go back to the dangerous center of the map to get more. Also, have always considered Sniper Rifles as being in the "heavy" category anyway.

I think the philosophy was

Primary - 1, maybe 2 kills a clip. Used best when combined with grenades/melee.
Special - 1HKO weapons that are designed to work at specific ranges. Shotgun=Close, Fusion=Medium, Sniper=Range. Sidearms are weird and obviously don't fit the theme.
Heavy - A weapon designed to get you multikills, and thus needs to be scaled back in availability.

I see Snipers and Shotguns as two sides of the same coin. Them being default weaponry isn't what's bad, it's the availability of special ammo.

Plus, Halo usually gave 1 sniper to both teams in maps it was in play. It was rarely, if ever, at the center of the map like Rockets/Laser/Banshee was.

------------------------------------------------

Also, Kor's recommendation for Special Ammo:

I've been doing this for a couple months now, but I've never seen anyone really go into detail with it.

I highly recommend you make an effort to steal the enemy ammo crates during PvP games. As a player that relies heavily on my special weapon, I very much notice when I don't have my ammo, and feel impaired until I get some. Thus, I imagine players like me feel the same.

So I started making runs for ammo crates to the best of my abilities.

Chances are the team that controls the crates, controls the map. Each map has either 3 or 4 crates (Not including the 3 crazy large ones). Thus, you want to make sure you're triggering the majority each time.

I'm sure some people could argue, but I totally believe it is worth a death, to steal a special ammo crate from the enemy team. This seems to be more important at the beginning of the match during the first wave of special, usually momentum will carry your team to the win after this point, but sometimes not.

The best practice is to just always open a crate that can be opened, there is no reason to save it for later.

I tried playing Rift last night and had 1 good game and 3 bad ones. I typically try and play defense since I seem to have no Rift skill. How is the new matchmaking process going? Have had a chance to look through all the posts today.

Top Bottom