• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

E92 M3

I've grown to be perfectly happy with all characters at 319. Won't be sweating it trying to get a class item when Bungie will just raise the cap anyways.

LTWood12

All they have to do is put ghosts and class items into the slot with the artifacts for challenge mode. You'll always get one of those three. Boom. Done.

All they have to do is put ghosts and class items into the slot with the artifacts for challenge mode. You'll always get one of those three. Boom. Done.

I mean, it always should have been

Warpriest - Ghost
Golgy - Artifact
Oryx - Class Item.

I feel like that was a crazy oversight.

Is there even enough people online for a train? It looks dead here.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall aboard, IB train calling all passengers!

ni9hmHI.jpg

SpecX

Cathedral of Dusk needs to be removed from the Rift playlist yesterday. Bungie pls patch that shit out.

Seriously, that damn map is way too big for rift or control without sparrow support. I've nearly broken a controller trying to deal with that map layout. We went through a rift match on it last night and hit the timer because nobody could drive up the score fast enough.

Axoman

I mean, it always should have been

Warpriest - Ghost
Golgy - Artifact
Oryx - Class Item.

I feel like that was a crazy oversight.

beating on that dead horse. When it comes to common sense in this game Bungie has none.

I don't think it was an oversight at all and it was intentional. If you got 320 ghost, class item and artifact from the challenge modes, you could have reached 320 much sooner. In bungie's mind, if you reached 320 in a few weeks, you'd be done, so they had to prevent a guaranteed path to 320.

Bungie continually insists on artificially limiting progression paths, but in my opinion, if they increased drop rates and provided me ample 320 items, I'd play more so I could optimize all me builds.

Went back a few pages but didn't see any reference to Bungie's President stepping down. Just gonna leave this here.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/28/bungie-has-a-new-ceo/

2 pages back:

If this is true, it makes me sad:

FYI, when a CEO steps down, he (or she) will "give a few words". When a CEO is fired, the new CEO gives a few words.​

Per Ghaleon, Ryan had a hell of a run guiding Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST, Reach & two years of Destiny into the hands of players.

I'm choosing to believe he stepped down. Ryan has always been a private guy, and Taken King did very well. It's been over a decade & the guy deserves a break from us maniacs.

3 pages back:

:p

Wasn't much of a discussion about it. Other than some people believe he was Harold was canned due to him not having any departing words.

WipedOut

I don't think it was an oversight at all and it was intentional. If you got 320 ghost, class item and artifact from the challenge modes, you could have reached 320 much sooner. In bungie's mind, if you reached 320 in a few weeks, you'd be done, so they had to prevent a guaranteed path to 320.

Bungie continually insists on artificially limiting progression paths, but in my opinion, if they increased drop rates and provided me ample 320 items, I'd play more so I could optimize all me builds.

But we are talking about challenge mode, you still need to get arms, legs, chest and helm. I'm still rocking a 316 chest on my titan and a 319 Helm on both alts (XB Side) It's frustrating because the other class and ghost are super rare to get that high of level.

To have to wait 3 weeks to get ghost, class item and artifact wouldn't have been limiting due to needing those other items too. From Golgo and Oryx, you're given a guaranteed way to get those items, there is no guaranteed way to get the class item or ghost.

spyder_ur

I know, but it points to the fact that bungie said they never wanted the forever 29 meme to be repeated...and here we are, at the exact same spot.

It's not the same spot. As a forever 29, I had a much harder time doing the prime activity in the game and acquiring the associated loot. There's nothing in the game you're punished for being under 310 in the game at this point.

I'll be on in about 30 minutes. Train or no train.
I'm gonna go get lunch so I'll be back in 25-30 mins for IB.
20-30 mins for IB train, sign me up.
I need a train .. This solo stuff is not working in Rift
Perfect!
I'll do the daily & stuff until then.

I stopped caring about reaching 320 months ago. There is no point.

Same here.
Happy at ~316-317. ^_^

Deku Tree

2 pages back:

3 pages back:

:p

Wasn't much of a discussion about it. Other than some people believe he was Harold was canned due to him not having any departing words.

When the outgoing CEO makes a statement, he resigned. When the incoming CEO makes a statement, the outgoing CEO was fired.

Combine that with the current community atmosphere, and like a kotaku article pointing out the recent D2 delay, and is not hard to put two and two together to make four.

It's not the same spot. As a forever 29, I had a much harder time doing the prime activity in the game and acquiring the associated loot. There's nothing in the game you're punished for being under 310 in the game at this point.

Sure, the penalty for 29 was way more than 319. That's not the point though.

Forever 29 happened due to bad loot design. Forever 319 is also a result of bad loot design.

aw man... what the frick.

turns out the only calcified fragment i'm missing on my hunter is the very first one from the raid...
I thought I had gone back to get it, but apparently not...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

WeTeHa

Haha man, I wanted to join the train but couldn't leave matchmaking and now I'm stuck in an infinite loading screen. fuck me.

spyder_ur

Forever 29 happened due to bad loot design. Forever 319 is also a result of bad loot design.

Honestly I just feel like it's a really nitpicky criticism, just my opinion. The game has given both PvP and PvE players numerous paths to 300+, 310, 310+ and now 320 gear.

There are way more viable criticisms of the loot than the idea that people are 'stuck' at 318 when it has no appreciable affect on the gameplay.

So all these "thread is dead" posts got me to thinking and I went and found the time it took for each OT to reach 200 pages.
Yes. 200. 100 ppp or gtfo.

Z032NyL.png

So I think this is kind of a nice snapshot of DGAF's activity when it comes to Destiny. The dates that go with the OTs are kind of fuzzy, so it's not exact.

A few notable points.
  • First off, Destiny has never been more dead.
  • Crota's End Hard Mode murdered the community.
  • SRL & Challenge Modes have not brought people back.
  • Taken King had a big dramatic fall off, and I'm not sure why. It was in the lull between the Weapon's Part nerf & when they "fixed" that and Iron Banner.

WipedOut

What sucks is that if I want a 320 Helmet I'm going to have to wait 3 weeks for a "Chance at one"

outside of Oryx CM there is no guaranteed chance at a 320.

There's nothing in the game you're punished for being under 310 in the game at this point.

So true. Most of the events Destiny currently uses (Outside of SRL) your light level so people who are under 310 usually don't play I'm events. IB,Trials, and maybe Crimson Doubles have/will have this requirement.

Rather than using that, why not have PVE events that allows different light levels. Look at POE. It had 4 levels of entry. Which allowed users to go through each one as they leveled.

LTWood12

The Division looks fun, but definitely much more RPG than shooter. Movement, animation, shooting, etc. all look kind of janky. Kind of get an Alpha Protocol vibe from it.

spyder_ur

The Division looks fun, but definitely much more RPG than shooter. Movement, animation, shooting, etc. all look kind of janky. Kind of get an Alpha Protocol vibe from it.

It's a good thing there's not too much shooting or movement in the game. Oh wait....

Still, I'll wait until I play the Beta tomorrow to get a better sense.

WipedOut

As for mechanics, movement and cover, it seems to borrow a little bit from Gears of War.

I'm not a big fan of TPS but it could be fun with a group. I'm open to the game but I'm still unsure if I'm going to like it, I need to spend some time with it this weekend.

Top Bottom