• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

So all these "thread is dead" posts got me to thinking and I went and found the time it took for each OT to reach 200 pages.
Yes. 200. 100 ppp or gtfo.

Z032NyL.png

So I think this is kind of a nice snapshot of DGAF's activity when it comes to Destiny. The dates that go with the OTs are kind of fuzzy, so it's not exact.

A few notable points.
  • First off, Destiny has never been more dead.
  • Crota's End Hard Mode murdered the community.
  • SRL & Challenge Modes have not brought people back.
  • Taken King had a big dramatic fall off, and I'm not sure why. It was in the lull between the Weapon's Part nerf & when they "fixed" that and Iron Banner.

A man after my own heart.

I love me a good chart/graph.

stb

So all these "thread is dead" posts got me to thinking and I went and found the time it took for each OT to reach 200 pages.

So I think this is kind of a nice snapshot of DGAF's activity when it comes to Destiny. The dates that go with the OTs are kind of fuzzy, so it's not exact.

A few notable points.
  • Taken King had a big dramatic fall off, and I'm not sure why. It was in the lull between the Weapon's Part nerf & when they "fixed" that and Iron Banner.

Thanks for this; it's great to see it visualized like this with the milestones.

Iceman829

As for mechanics, movement and cover, it seems to borrow a little bit from Gears of War.

I'm not a big fan of TPS but it could be fun with a group. I'm open to the game but I'm still unsure if I'm going to like it, I need to spend some time with it this weekend.

The open world is fun. The most fun I had in the alpha was while I was in a full squad just roaming the dark zone. Having the fll map loaded up is great and being able to fast travel between your squad mates was nice if people were just exploring and doing their own thing. You can stay grouped up and not play together if you want. Unlike Destiny where the bus needs to bring everyone everywhere. Imagine being able to stay in a fire team and someone can run back to the tower without having to bring everyone there

The open world is fun. The most fun I had in the alpha was while I was in a full squad just roaming the dark zone. Having the fll map loaded up is great and being able to fast travel between your squad mates was nice if people were just exploring and doing their own thing. You can stay grouped up and not play together if you want. Unlike Destiny where the bus needs to bring everyone everywhere. Imagine being able to stay in a fire team and someone can run back to the tower without having to bring everyone there

Impossible. Every guardian would need their own ship to do that.

Frostburn

A few notable points.

Thanks for the graph and analysis. I for one have been hard pressed to log in once I realized besides Challenge mode nothing new was really hitting the PVE community which is a shame because Destiny was probably my most played game of 2015 and DestinyGAF has been great, I just ran through all the content I cared about, not a slight to the game at all. Here's to hoping Destiny 2 is bigger and better!

Feorax

One big problem is whilst DB and HoW added content on top of a pre-existing, and still relevant layer, TTK effectively removed the relevancy of almost everything that preceded it.

When a game is struggling for content, that's not the smartest move. What's even more stupid is leaving said game in that state.

Z032NyL.png

A few notable points.

I got a feeling OT 39 will take even longer. Thats why Tainted Love is the best title.

It's not the same spot. As a forever 29, I had a much harder time doing the prime activity in the game and acquiring the associated loot. There's nothing in the game you're punished for being under 310 in the game at this point.

I agree with everything you're saying except for the not being punished below 310. It's great if people around here can find HM raid groups below 310, but it's also important to remember that most people using LFG sites are going to have a hard time getting accepted into any HM raid below 310.

Sure, the penalty for 29 was way more than 319. That's not the point though.

Forever 29 happened due to bad loot design. Forever 319 is also a result of bad loot design.

Yeah I agree with the loot issue, in fact I think KF's table is the worst of the 3 raids. That said, it's also important to give credit where it's due and acknowledge that 319 doesn't affect gameplay the way that 29 did (also, if Luke was still alive he'd be mad at us for comparing 29 and 319). It's a mixed bag basically.

The other, arguably larger issue is the KF gear being boring relative to VoG gear. To me that's a bigger problem because unlike the numbers game (319) the boring loot is detrimental to gameplay. VoG gear always dropped at max light with strong perks (special ammo chests) so you just needed good stat rolls.

Now I'm crossing my fingers to get a drop, that it's high light, has good stats, and good perks. Since the odds are so slim, I have to keep high light gear with bad stats/perks AND low light gear with good stats/perks to smush them together into a worthwhile character build. It's so tedious. Like Trance, my overloaded storage space has made me stop playing on my character. I'm tired of spending hours every week sorting through the infusion fodder.

Daemul

Tbh what interests me most about the change at the top of Bungie isn't what happens to current plans for the game, but what changes they'll be in personnel, i.e. management level, which usually come about with regime changes.

Things could get very interesting over the next few weeks/months.

I know, but it points to the fact that bungie said they never wanted the forever 29 meme to be repeated...and here we are, at the exact same spot.
If you were 29, you would take 34% more damage and deal 34% less damage in the majority of the Vault of Glass.

If you're 319, you do 2.8% less damage and take 2.8% more damage at daughters and Oryx ONLY.

In PVP, If you're 319, you don't take any more or less damage from a 320 player. You need to go 10 levels to make 1% of different in that activity.

Totally different.

The thing I don't get is that Bungie is just going to let The Division eat their lunch this spring?

Its frustrating when I wan't to make Destiny a daily thing even for an hour but the gameplay doesn't support it anymore.

Vanilla did just because of the way loot was tied to NF and coins were guaranteed from weeklies.

the_id

Z032NyL.png

A few notable points.

I love charts....How did you get the data though? did your trawl through the last 37 OTs based on start date and end date?

I love charts....How did you get the data though? did your trawl through the last 37 OTs based on start date and end date?

Yep. Got some constructive feedback and here's an updated one showing OT activity in a different way: Average # of posts/day for each OT.

xbBWWvL.png

spyder_ur

I agree with everything you're saying except for the not being punished below 310. It's great if people around here can find HM raid groups below 310, but it's also important to remember that most people using LFG sites are going to have a hard time getting accepted into any HM raid below 310.

That's totally fair Drizz - easy for me to forget about life outside of the thread/community sometimes. I was just thinking about it from the power scaling perspective.

spyder_ur

Yep. Got some constructive feedback and here's an updated one showing OT activity in a different way: Average # of posts/day for each OT.

xbBWWvL.png

This is an even better visualization. Out of curiousity - what do you use to make it? I'm pretty decent with Tableau. You're making me want to make some Destiny-related graphs but since I'm currently neglecting a couple actual work uses for it, probably not the greatest idea.

Of course the hard part is probably actually getting the data, unless it's stored and sorted more conveniently than I'd guess.

We also had Gaming-side OT threads for every expansion, I think, which might skew the data a bit.

Either I'm just hearing things after watching one too many horror films last night or I just heard what sounded like a woman screaming while idling on Venus.

It's a random sound effect on Venus. I ran into it and pretty sure I posted about it(Thought it was a Festival of the Lost thing way back when) a few months ago.

Top Bottom