• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

Seriously, that damn map is way too big for rift or control without sparrow support. I've nearly broken a controller trying to deal with that map layout. We went through a rift match on it last night and hit the timer because nobody could drive up the score fast enough.

Went through a couple matches last night where nobody was able to dunk the other team's rift. It was just "Runner down" "Runner down" "Runner down". Those matches were won based on kills alone. I have a feeling some people got lost.

This is an even better visualization. Out of curiousity - what do you use to make it? I'm pretty decent with Tableau. You're making me want to make some Destiny-related graphs but since I'm currently neglecting a couple actual work problems, probably not the greatest idea.

Of course the hard part is probably actually getting the data, unless it's sorted more conveniently than I'd guess.

We also had Gaming-side OT threads for every expansion, I think, which might skew the data a bit.

I did a really hacky job with Excel trying to make it. You can't have lines and bars in one graph, so it's actually two graphs overlaid with some transparency work. Hence some of it look kludgy. I do these kinds of graphs periodically to exercise my Excel muscles and learn new things.

xbBWWvL.png

The data is here if you want it. I think someone, Afro maybe?, was making a Python scraper to get every post date in every OT. Not sure how far he got... because he's gone....

edit: I still wish I knew why there was such a huge drop-off in Taken King. It basically happened after the Weapons Part nerf, but there was nothing new til after the drop when the fix happened to Weapons Parts and Iron Banner rewards.

So I'm feeling good about this next BWU.

I feel like Deej is really going to dial back the thesaurus usage after the positive reaction he got earlier this week.

I had a good time in the IB train last night, but I'm terrible at it. I also can't seem to get rid of this cough, so my ability to communicate is limited.

It's funny to me that it's 2016 and people still think that 'Betas' released 5 weeks before a game comes out are actually betas.

I agree at this point people should realize its a demo.

yes things are walled off but don't expect the gameplay loop from the "beta" to change at release, it will just be more of the same.

still hyped to try The Division tomorrow.

So I'm feeling good about this next BWU.

I feel like Deej is really going to dial back the thesaurus usage after the positive reaction he got earlier this week.

Im hoping the new guy tells him to dial his nonsense back and be an actual community manager.

On connections actual red bars are less but that 1 second delay/hit registration/being shot around corners is as prevalent as ever

WipedOut

It's funny to me that it's 2016 and people still think that 'Betas' released 5 weeks before a game comes out are actually betas.
Agree, this is pretty much the final build at this point. This is more of a stress test than anything and to find any final bugs and to test network stress.

LTWood12

I agree at this point people should realize its a demo.

yes things are walled off but don't expect the gameplay loop from the "beta" to change at release, it will just be more of the same.

still hyped to try The Division tomorrow.

Agree, this is pretty much the final build at this point. This is more of a stress test than anything and to find any final bugs and to test network stress.

Oh for sure. I'm looking forward to jumping in and trying it this weekend. Remember when people said the same things about the Destiny beta. Pretty sure it ended up literally becoming what is now the Destiny demo on psn haha.

Cathedral really needs another ammo box. That map is huge and only has 3. Other maps of similar sizes all have 4.

It's probably just because the map is so large that when you die, you'll miss out on all the ammo crates for the next 90 seconds or whatever it is.

Rift maps and their Ammo crate count

Bannerfall - 4
Frontiet - 4
Momento - 4*
Sector 618 - 3
Pantheon - 3
Vertigo - 4
Black Shield - 4
Thieves Den - 3
Cathedral - 3**

Why does Memento have 4? It's the smallest map in the game!
Why does Cathedral have 3? It's the largest map in the game!***
Not including maps that have Vehicular options.

Im hoping the new guy tells him to dial his nonsense back and be an actual community manager.

On connections actual red bars are less but that 1 second delay/hit registration/being shot around corners is as prevalent as ever
The fuck do you mean new guy? You mean the guy that's been in upper management forever and has now stepped up to CEO? Yeah, he's totally going to tell Deej to community better. lol this place

WeTeHa

I'm pretty sure there is still some skill-based matchmaking turned on. When I play alone with randoms I can reliably get 20+ kills per match and 2-3 carries and 1 dunk. When I play with gaffers we always get matched with players way above my skill level and I get murdered. Playing with gaffers is still more fun in rift.

I'm pretty sure there is still some skill-based matchmaking turned on. When I play alone with randoms I can reliably get 20+ kills per match and 2-3 carries and 1 dunk. When I play with gaffers we always get matched with players way above my skill level and I get murdered. Playing with gaffers is still more fun in rift.

Of the 1 hour session we played just a bit ago, almost every match was crazy close/sweaty. The only except was 1 single mercy game we got.

As in, every game was coming down to the clock, and it was a matter of whoever picked up the last spark was probably going to win the game.

WipedOut

Oh for sure. I'm looking forward to jumping in and trying it this weekend. Remember when people said the same things about the Destiny beta. Pretty sure it ended up literally becoming what is now the Destiny demo on psn haha.

From what I played of it this morning, hope I'm wrong but the game for me so far is going to be fun for a minute then get boring really quick, the gunplay is just not there for me and that's very important to me when it comes to a game like this.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There is and has always been

Can someone tweet at Bungie and ask them if they increased the armor for the runner?

I genuinely feel like something is off. I'm fishing around Reddit for opinions on the matter as well.

Deku Tree

What is the god roll for the IB scout rifle?

Can someone tweet at Bungie and ask them if they increased the armor for the runner?

I genuinely feel like something is off. I'm fishing around Reddit for opinions on the matter as well.

I don't remember what it was like before, but it is definitely harder to kill the runner than anyone else... They get an over shield and survive shotguns to the face.

I'm so sick of this matchmaking. I'm going over the Medallion limit, struggling to break even because the other team consistently gets both heavies and controls the entire map. I get absolutely crushed by playing all 1.8 + kd players. I got to get crushed by MACM 3 times yesterday despite not having a good connection with his Latin American squad of 3 KD players I have no business matching up against.

Even if the connections were marginally better, which I'm not even sure of at this point since I get 1 to 2 red bars on average per game, I don't see why my experience has to suffer this much just so bad to mediocre players can feel better at the game. Just because I'm somewhat competent at the game it doesn't mean that it feels good if I get shit on over and over and over. Bad players praise SBMM because they don't want to deal with what I have to deal with all the time now, which is getting put into hopeless matches and spending more time respawning than playing, but I am not terrible at the game so that's what I have coming to me, I guess.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

You sure this isn't just a function of the Attack and Defense values being enabled in IB and IB being rift for the first time?

You sure this isn't just a function of the Attack and Defense values being enabled in IB and IB being rift for the first time?

I'm not.

My Warlock is 308.

I've had Runners survive Truth Rockets. Shotgun+Shotgun+Melee to the back. 5 Nirwen's pulses.

Axion Bolts seem to do about 75ish damage to them, but it's inconsistent. Everything about it is inconsistent, and I feel like there are so many variables at play, I'm not sure where to start.

I think when you have the spark, you do have increased armor like having a super.

Uhhh, yeah you do get increased armor as the runner. Thought this was common knowledge.

I'm aware you get a boost to armor. I am curious if that boost has been increased.

Before, the armor boost felt like 20% damage reduction. Now it feels closer to 50%.

Also, don't be a dick about it.

Edit: Example here
https://gfycat.com/OfficialGleefulHairstreak

WeTeHa

There is and has always been

So.. if I would be the fireteam leader, we would get matched against people with mostly my skill? Or is it an average of the skills of all the players in a fireteam?

I don't play many online games, let alone pvp modes, so I honestly have no idea how the behind the scenes stuff works.

Namikaze1

I feel so bad after that dirty spawn kill. :(

He was going to die anyway since there were 3 others with me, two were literally behind me rushing for heavy.

So.. if I would be the fireteam leader, we would get matched against people with mostly my skill? Or is it an average of the skills of all the players in a fireteam?

I don't play many online games, let alone pvp modes, so I honestly have no idea how the behind the scenes stuff works.

It's a complex equation that has 3 primary factors.

Your skill level compared to their skill level
Your latency compared to their latency
Time in Queue.

The first two are work in tandem, but become more and more lenient as the third grows larger.

Some people think party leader matters but if you look at breakdowns of all random groups, you'll see some people with super high k/ds or grimoire scores and some people with lower, kind of distributed between the groups (I never said distributed well.)

I think when you have the spark, you do have increased armor like having a super.

doesn't raid armor bestow more armor/agility as the relic runner?
maybe the spark has some correlation to it that just hasn't been established yet?

edit: Kor caught me mid-edit... lol :)

This example shows that the runner gets damage resistance immediately after picking up the spark. This resistance doesn't last long after. The rest of the clip had a bunch of lag, since no damage markers displayed from the shots and the runner just randomly fell down dead.

Edit: It would be interesting if the spark acted as the relic from the raid. The raid chest piece has increased armor while holding the relic.

This examples shows that the runner gets damage resistance immediately after picking up the spark. This resistance doesn't last long after. The rest of the clip had a bunch of lag, since no damage markers displayed from the shots and the runner just randomly fell down dead.

And I believe I recall that a rocket could kill a fresh runner previously. Thus, I'm asking, AGAIN, if the armor levels have been increased lately.

Iceman829

This examples shows that the runner gets damage resistance immediately after picking up the spark. This resistance doesn't last long after. The rest of the clip had a bunch of lag, since no damage markers displayed from the shots and the runner just randomly fell down dead.

Aka

Netflix Armor
Burger King Wifi Armor
Zimbabwe Internet Armor
That's a hamster powering my router Armor

And I believe I recall that a rocket could kill a fresh runner previously. Thus, I'm asking, AGAIN, if the armor levels have been increased lately.
A rocket doing 100 damage is evidence of damage resistance, not increased armor. As for if either of those had been increased, I don't know. I haven't seen anyone do a comparison test.

Top Bottom