• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

Felt completely generic and flat to me. The open world is lifeless, the UI is an absolute mess, loot is totally uninteresting, and the disconnect of having to shoot have a clip of an M16 into a human head who is not wearing armor; in what is supposed to be a hyper realistic setting, just doesn't feel right. Honestly I'm surprised at how positive the reaction to it was. Another case of a Ubisoft reveal being way more interesting than the actual release.

Yeah, can't argue with any of that.

The seamless nature of it was most impressive. You just wander around and start missions. There's no separate Director that requires you to go to Orbit and then back down to the same place to swap from Patrol to a Strike. Fireteam matchmaking was super organic.

I also liked all the customization. Like all the weapon mods. Imagine being able to swap out perks on each weapon instead of having to wait for an entirely new gun to drop.

The abilities part is also nice and showcases the RPG focus. Destiny there's only one ability, your super. You flavor everything else based on your subclass. Divisions two extra abilities beyond melee, grenade add a lot of build variety potential.

Still more competition for Destiny can only help Destiny get better.

WipedOut

Felt completely generic and flat to me. The open world is lifeless, the UI is an absolute mess, loot is totally uninteresting, and the disconnect of having to shoot have a clip of an M16 into a human head who is not wearing armor; in what is supposed to be a hyper realistic setting, just doesn't feel right. Honestly I'm surprised at how positive the reaction to it was. Another case of a Ubisoft reveal being way more interesting than the actual release.

DGAF is just thirsty AF!

62262914.jpg

Axoman

Shouldn't all PVP playlists be power matters? What is the point of not having all Y1 weapons be updated to Y2 (besides not knowing how to handle a ghorn nerf)

For me, I like to take a new weapon into normal crucible to test it out. If all playlists had level advantages enabled, I would have to infuse it up to a reasonable level before even trying it out. So, from that aspect, I'm glad level advantages isn't in every playlist.

Maybe they could make classic have no level advantages, but all year two playlists would.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/43pk73/rip_my_hunter_992014_1312016/

Last night I logged to the character screen and left my room, turned on my buddy’s Twitch stream to see how his Lighthouse carries were going.

The faint of heart should not read further…

Holding my Elite Controller in hand, not paying attention, I unwittingly held down my Paddle, mapped to X, while looking at my computer. I look over to my monitor and instinctively press A.

Poof It’s gone. Almost 1.5 years of time, grind, experience gone. Not to mention 8 pieces of 320 armor.

A list of the gear I lost: • 320 Knucklehead Radar • 317 Graviton Forfeit • 320 IB Helm • 315 Trials Helm • 316 Sealed Ahamkara Grasps • 320 Raid Gloves (Pulse) • 320 IB Gloves (Hand Cannon) • 317 FWC Gloves (Scout) • 320 IB Chest • 310 IB Chest • 310 Tarantella ATS • 320 Trials Boots • 310 Trials Boots x2 • 320 Trials Cloak x2 • 316 IB Cloak • 320 Artifact x2

giphy.gif

That's when you put the controller down and quit.

LTWood12

Yeah, can't argue with any of that.

The seamless nature of it was most impressive. You just wander around and start missions. There's no separate Director that requires you to go to Orbit and then back down to the same place to swap from Patrol to a Strike. Fireteam matchmaking was super organic.

I also liked all the customization. Like all the weapon mods. Imagine being able to swap out perks on each weapon instead of having to wait for an entirely new gun to drop.

The abilities part is also nice and showcases the RPG focus. Destiny there's only one ability, your super. You flavor everything else based on your subclass. Divisions two extra abilities beyond melee, grenade add a lot of build variety potential.

Still more competition for Destiny can only help Destiny get better.

The social aspect of it is by far the most impressive part to me. It would be awesome if Destiny showed you in the director when clicking on a planet where your friends are doing something, and seeing their little dot move on the map in real time.

You found the customization interesting? I mean, it was exactly what I expected. "I found a scope and can put it on this assault rifle." I was never excited about getting anything. They're all just realistic weapons that don't kill people realistically. Granted, I don't really know how you COULD make loot interesting in a game with the Tom Clancy name attached to it.

Being able to swap out PERKS on Destiny's weapons would be awesome. But it would be awesome because there are perks that are awesome. "Oh I got an ACOG scope to replace my Red-Dot" doesn't really hit the dopamine receptors like "Ah shit I got a Imago Loop w/ Firefly!"

Regarding the abilities, with it being more of an RPG, I would expect there to be more stuff as far as that goes. Granted we only got to use a small portion of the abilities, but I didn't find any them to feel badass or awesome.

Lnkn52

That happened to people last year with the X1 elite controller just came out too. Gotta watch those paddles if you want to be elite!

Bungie should really allow you to password protect your characters, or give you a short grace period where you can resurrect your deleted characters.

#Elite4Life

FFS,... get dropped into 2 matches back to back that end in mercy within 30 seconds.

Glad I'm rank 5 and don't give a shit anymore but c'mon Bungie.

Edit: 3rd match is an in-progress on losing team. Fucking BS!!!

The social aspect of it is by far the most impressive part to me. It would be awesome if Destiny showed you in the director when clicking on a planet where your friends are doing something, and seeing their little dot move on the map in real time.

You found the customization interesting? I mean, it was exactly what I expected. "I found a scope and can put it on this assault rifle." I was never excited about getting anything. They're all just realistic weapons that don't kill people realistically. Granted, I don't really know how you COULD make loot interesting in a game with the Tom Clancy name attached to it.

Being able to swap out PERKS on Destiny's weapons would be awesome. But it would be awesome because there are perks that are awesome. "Oh I got an ACOG scope to replace my Red-Dot" doesn't really hit the dopamine receptors like "Ah shit I got a Imago Loop w/ Firefly!"

Regarding the abilities, with it being more of an RPG, I would expect there to be more stuff as far as that goes. Granted we only got to use a small portion of the abilities, but I didn't find any them to feel badass or awesome.

Haha. Yes. Well, there's as implemented and then there's the potential.

None of the abilities in the Division are anywhere near as cool as any of Destiny's supers. I'm a Titan main, but hot damn does it feel amazing to leap up in air and summon a Golden Gun. But the point is that Destiny offers very little in the way of builds and it has little potential growth there. It's shoot, grenade, melee, super. Where as Division lets you have two additional abilities. Think of the possibilities that would afford the subclasses in Destiny. A Defender ability that would freeze an enemy in place for 5 seconds. A Striker ability that would put out a pulsing pylon. A Sunbreaker ability that would be napalm. These would be great opportunities for expanding the loot game aspect and having weapons and armor that accentuate our builds.

Yeah, Red Dot scopes and Vertical grips aren't interesting in an of themselves, but they allow you to customize a weapon you already have and love instead of needing a new one to drop to change anything up. Considering how I've been using the same gun since week 2 of Destiny, it'd be nice to have a way to tweak and personalize it. Whether it be additional perks, or scopes or skins. Something.

Deku Tree

FFS,... get dropped into 2 matches back to back that end in mercy within 30 seconds.

Glad I'm rank 5 and don't give a shit anymore but c'mon Bungie.

Edit: 3rd match is an in-progress on losing team. Fucking BS!!!

If you're just farming for drops then isn't that the dream scenario?

The more I think about it, the more I think we need an actual sequel with Destiny 2. Not another big expansion that builds on Taken King.

I am... not optimistic.

Ape, if you're still around, I might be on tonight. We'll see. 9pm-ish?

Shiv47

Another Iron Banner meant generally meh loot yet again. People who get to level 5 solo must be masochists, because grinding out the last couple bounties I needed by myself to get my last character to level 5 was awful, as the teams I got put on got wrecked over and over. My total loot was as follows:

Rank 5 rewards:
320 HMG
313 RL
311 Warlock Helm (and not the exclusive one of course)

Other IB specific drops:
319 Ghost
310 Ghost (3)
282 Fusion
306 Warlock boots
294 Titan boots
296 Titan chest
283 Hunter chest

Was really hoping for a 310+ primary as a rank 5 reward, but again no luck. It sucks that you can only get the 310+ stuff from Oryx or Trials, as the first is a tedious, glitchy slog, and the other is beyond my skills. Thanks Bungie

todd360

Iron Wreath is awesome. Don't write it off Vaal. But you'll probably just ignore this like you've ignored every invite I've ever sent to you.

PJSalt

I agree. I prefer it over shotguns on most maps. I even use it in trials.

I use the one that was on sale during the iron banner. Hot swap and whatever the other perk was.

WipedOut

Iron Wreath is awesome. Don't write it off Vaal. But you'll probably just ignore this like you've ignored every invite I've ever sent to you.

PJSalt

I got one last night. 320 with last resort, spray and play / hand loaded. Keep it or infusion material?

LTWood12

I agree. I prefer it over shotguns on most maps. I even use it in trials.

I use the one that was on sale during the iron banner. Hot swap and whatever the other perk was.

Yeah I wish I'd bought that roll. Mine has Reactive Reload, Relentless Tracker, and Hand Loaded. It's just a fantastic oh shit button, especially when someone is rushing w/ a shotty. Can usually take them out before their CS-D is in OHKO range.

I got one last night. 320 with last resort, spray and play / hand loaded. Keep it or infusion material?

I'd try it and see what you think. To me, the perks on a sidearm don't make or break it nearly like they do on every other weapon. Reactive Reload is nice for the damage buff after a kill, but it's not like Relentless Tracker and Hand Loaded ever save my ass.

Oh that was cold LT. Just like my heart. Kappa.

There IS still good in you. I've felt it.

"Todd revive me!"

*Todd Activates Shock City and wipes team*

:D

Carry LTVita? I can only do so much LT!

I've never played with Todd before either, so it's about time. Let's do a no-pressure card tonight and shoot the shit. I'll be super try-hard Vietnam War Lt. Dan.

Shiv47

IB drops per character in (includes level packages):

Titan: 40 matches, 4 drops
Hunter: 9 matches, 4 drops
Warlock: 14 matches, 4 drops

Conclusion: If you're in it for drops, IB is a waste of time. Having fun playing with GAF is the only thing that makes it worthwhile.

I would be willing to play later I suppose.

Senpai!

I can do a card or two tonight. I think we tend to play a bit earlier LT if you can get on.

Edit: Everyone just wants to play with Todd. I wish I was as cool as him. He knows all the anime that I don't. I know Goku.

Edit 2: That wasn't mean to be a dis but a sincere joke :)

I got up to level 8 in The Division before I ventured into the Dark Zone, solo. Then I proceeded to get sniped on arrival by some asshole that was camping near the entrance. After that I ran around with no clue what I was doing. Stopped by a few extraction zones but was killed by random people every time.

I'm going to stick with Destiny. Oh hey, Gravity Rush Remastered comes out tomorrow!

Dthomp

Any IB trains going? I just want to get a couple wins to get my Warlock to rank 5 and call this mode done. Drops have been meh, I've only gotten 3 pairs of boots....I'd love a ghost since I can't seem to get one above 280 to save my life.

PSN = Dthomp

IB drops per character in (includes level packages):

Titan: 40 matches, 4 drops
Hunter: 9 matches, 4 drops
Warlock: 14 matches, 4 drops

Conclusion: If you're in it for drops, IB is a waste of time. Having fun playing with GAF is the only thing that makes it worthwhile.
10 pair of boots on 3 characters
1 scout rifle

And no wins on cathedral of dust

Working as planned

LTWood12

I got up to level 8 in The Division before I ventured into the Dark Zone, solo. Then I proceeded to get sniped on arrival by some asshole that was camping near the entrance. After that I ran around with no clue what I was doing. Stopped by a few extraction zones but was killed by random people every time.

I'm going to stick with Destiny. Oh hey, Gravity Rush Remastered comes out tomorrow!

I got the platinum on Vita ;)

Glad I am don with IB rift. Got all my 3 characters to level 5 last night.

Titan got a 317 IB hand cannon(infusionl
Hunter got a ps exclusive helm with good stats but only a 313.
Warlock got a 312 gauntlets

IB needs to have 320 drops at level 5. RNG shouldn't reward you anything less then what your characters light level is. Why would I want a 310 ghost? I mean coming Bungie grinding 3 characters to level 5 is work especially in the worst game mode in crucible. RIFT wouldn't be so bad if it actually had a decent map playlist but most of the maps are just crap for that mode.

Mindlog

Haha. Yes. Well, there's as implemented and then there's the potential.

None of the abilities in the Division are anywhere near as cool as any of Destiny's supers. I'm a Titan main, but hot damn does it feel amazing to leap up in air and summon a Golden Gun. But the point is that Destiny offers very little in the way of builds and it has little potential growth there. It's shoot, grenade, melee, super. Where as Division lets you have two additional abilities. Think of the possibilities that would afford the subclasses in Destiny. A Defender ability that would freeze an enemy in place for 5 seconds. A Striker ability that would put out a pulsing pylon. A Sunbreaker ability that would be napalm. These would be great opportunities for expanding the loot game aspect and having weapons and armor that accentuate our builds.

Yeah, Red Dot scopes and Vertical grips aren't interesting in an of themselves, but they allow you to customize a weapon you already have and love instead of needing a new one to drop to change anything up. Considering how I've been using the same gun since week 2 of Destiny, it'd be nice to have a way to tweak and personalize it. Whether it be additional perks, or scopes or skins. Something.
Yah, Destiny is in a weird middle ground. I honestly find the differentiation between classes rather pedestrian compared to something like Mass Effect. Raids would be so much more fun with an all biotic N7 Squad. Drell Vanguard would have dropped into the Abyss with a smile.

I've had a blast with Division. The sound design alone makes me want to play more.

Yah, Destiny is in a weird middle ground. I honestly find the differentiation between classes rather pedestrian compared to something like Mass Effect. Raids would be so much more fun with an all biotic N7 Squad. Drell Vanguard would have dropped into the Abyss with a smile.

I've had a blast with Division. The sound design alone makes me want to play more.

yeah, I've been having fun with it too, but I don't know if it's something that will keep my attention for an extended period of time. I think my value equation has been skewed with the amount of time that I've spent in Destiny vs. what I paid for it.

Tri4

I literally played division once for about an hour and forgot about it. Got kinda boring solo, and dark zone wasn't nearly as fun as arena type PvP like crucible.

Top Bottom