• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

NeOak

I've already done KF CM multiple times ;) Now I get to simply buy the new gear from the new update and immediately have it at max. Isn't that cool? I can just buy the carrot on the stick. I can just buy the loot in the loot game without having to earn it. Isn't it the coolest?

And it's worrying. In a game with RNG on top of RNG, being able to spend money for RNG will trigger those dopamines. That's why it's a box and they don't sell it independently. It's like the rush you get from opening a pack of cards, it will make you want to buy more packs for that feeling.

It's disgusting.

I didn't see the faction armor in the box. Did you?

inthrall

I'm really disappointed with this more than anything. I've leveled the hell out of some factions for gear with no luck. They'll never buff faction gains back to where they were now because stacked with the purchase buff it would be way too easy.

Instead just like with the subclasses we're stuck with a neutered unfun trudge that happens to have a real money bridge.

Did the stream cover the details on this one? I'd like to know what %age increase, how long etc

I didn't see the faction armor in the box. Did you?

Who cares about the Faction armor when the coolest aesthetic is sold with money.

I hope Bungie keeps doing this for the future. Just sell the raid pieces and make them the coolest looking armor for real money, and let us max it out immediately.

I mean, let's not pretend that the faction armor has any aesthetic to it, it looks dull and boring. Now the Taken Armor? So good! Finally the taken shader we all wanted, but we just have to drop some money for it to get it immediately! I love this new path of destiny, buy the coolest looking armor, unlock a cool emote when you collect it all, and no grind at all! And since I can keep infusing future armor with my already huge stock of high level gear, then that means I can always keep the level advantage i have!

Nothus

I'm really looking forward to being able to infuse my SPL gear and then running around in pvp like some STUPID SEXY FLANDERS!

NeOak

Who cares about the Faction armor when the coolest aesthetic is sold with money.

I hope Bungie keeps doing this for the future. Just sell the raid pieces and make them the coolest looking armor for real money, and let us max it out immediately.

I mean, let's not pretend that the faction armor has any aesthetic to it, it looks dull and boring. Now the Taken Armor? So good! Finally the taken shader we all wanted, but we just have to drop some money for it to get it immediately! I love this new path of destiny, buy the coolest looking armor, unlock a cool emote when you collect it all, and no grind at all! And since I can keep infusing future armor with my already huge stock of high level gear, then that means I can always keep the level advantage i have!
You know what?

I'll spend money to get them. And stream it. Just for you.

I wasn't planning to, but salt is delicious.

Frenden

Banned
Wait, faction rep wasn't blanket increased as a QoL update? There are pay consumables to get said QoL rep increase?

That's awful. I thought rep was just getting a boost in general. I must've misheard that on stream.

You know what?

I'll spend money to get them. And stream it. Just for you.

I wasn't planning to, but salt is delicious.

I don't give a damn what you do with your own money, that's the kicker. But if this is the future of Destiny you want, where you can buy loot with money, then I hope you enjoy it. Because god forbid I have a problem with loot being sold for money in what is primarily a loot game.

I don't give a damn what you do with your own money, that's the kicker. But if this is the future of Destiny you want, where you can buy loot with money, then I hope you enjoy it. Because god forbid I have a problem with loot being sold for money in what is primarily a loot game.
All of the loot that you could "buy" is at 3 light. How is that buying max light armor?

NeOak

Wait, faction rep wasn't blanket increases as a QoL update? There are pay consumables to get said QoL rep increase?

That's awful. I thought rep was just getting a boost in general. I must've misheard that on stream.
That are increased as QoL. You can get a higher % with the boosts.

So far, we've only seen them in the box, so who knows where else they drop.

All of the loot that you could "buy" is at 3 light. How is that buying max light armor?

And then I max it out immediately with the armor I had from the previous update, 6 months ago.

Again-Selling loot in what is primarily a loot game. It doesn't matter what level it is.

The whole POINT of the INFUSION SYSTEM was so you could keep pieces of loot that you liked using.

Deku Tree

Wait, faction rep wasn't blanket increases as a QoL update? There are pay consumables to get said QoL rep increase?

Paid consumables if you get them by chance from your $2 RNG mystery box.

And then I max it out immediately with the armor I had from the previous update, 6 months ago.

Again-Selling loot in what is primarily a loot game. It doesn't matter what level it is.
I still don't get what you're saying here. You can infuse any infusable item to max light, but you need a 335 drop first. Are you perhaps not understanding how the new infusion works?

WipedOut

Wait, faction rep wasn't blanket increased as a QoL update? There are pay consumables to get said QoL rep increase?

No there will be additional boosters that could come from the sterling treasure but they specifically said that Strikes, crucible and anything that rewards rep is getting boosted.

Deku Tree

I agree with this Breezy. Every update takes another step in the wrong direction. People keep saying "oh that's nothing, it's just a tiny little difference from before". But when you add up all the differences it is huge.

It fully disgusts me that they are locking the coolest looking armor in the expansion behind an RNG pay wall (or you can wait to get it eventually from a weekly RNG mystery box if your lucky).

Destiny is headed in in the wrong direction for me... and if it keeps going down this road then I may not come back.

Trakan

Seemed faster than Thorn in last weeks' stream.

bkTgrHj.gif

Still seems garbage tier to me.

He did say increased across the board. This is Bungie we're talking about, but I assume it's both.

NeOak

I still don't get what you're saying here. You can infuse any infusable item to max light, but you need a 335 drop first. Are you perhaps not understanding how the new infusion works?
He means that because it isn't gated for hardcore grinders, Destiny turned into a mobile F2P microtransactions hell by letting you sound money to buy a cosmetics box.

Shit, he shouldn't even try to play Black Desert Online or Blade and Soul.

WipedOut

He did say increased across the board. This is Bungie we're talking about, but I assume it's both.

That is correct, they are "ALSO" going to have booster telemetries that increase rep for two hours.

Wait what consumable is this?
It's a possible drop from the sterling treasure boxes that we get from the post master and weekly stuff Darryl.

You could also buy those boxes for $2 each if you don't want to wait each week for another drop.

Destiny
Destiny is a loot game
Loot are objects you equip your character with
People like these objects
Bungie originally introduced Etheric light so people could use objects they liked
Bungie eventually replaced this with the Infusion system, again so people can use objects they liked
Even if you get higher level loot, you are not forced to use that, you can keep using your favorite gear
Bungie is now selling gear with unique bonuses like a taken look and emote, in what is a loot game
In a game where the loot system has ways to level up loot immediately to max to continue playing

I spelled it out for you. Destiny is a loot game. I can keep doing high end activities by immediately infusing gear. What do you do those activities for? For the loot.

But you can now skip the middle man and by the loot directly.

People can act daft and call it 'cosmetics' all they want, but when the company compromises what makes a loot game, a loot game, then there's a problem whether you're blind to it or not.

I agree with this Breezy. Every update takes another step in the wrong direction. People keep saying "oh that's nothing, it's just a tiny little difference from before". But when you add up all the differences it is huge.

It fully disgusts me that they are locking the coolest looking armor in the expansion behind an RNG pay wall (or you can wait to get it eventually from a weekly RNG mystery box if your lucky).

Destiny is headed in in the wrong direction for me... and if it keeps going down this road then I may not come back.

The biggest infuriating part for me is by people trying to defend by calling it cosmetic, or by saying 'But it's 3 light level' when there's a system to instantly max it out. A system made for you to be able to use your favorite gear. And they're locking the COOLEST looking gear with special little perks behind either a weekly drip, or a paywall.

WipedOut

Armor that you can wear in the end game is not "cosmetics".

They are not end-game when bought- You can infuse them with end game content when you acquire said content. I know I'm in the minority but all of that is completely optional and I see nothing wrong with it. If you don't want to wait for the free boxes each week then go be a dumbass and spend the money (Not you, speaking in general)

Destiny
Destiny is a loot game
Loot are objects you equip your character with
People like these objects
Bungie originally introduced Etheric light so people could use objects they liked
Bungie eventually replaced this with the Infusion system, again so people can use objects they liked
Even if you get higher level loot, you are not forced to use that, you can keep using your favorite gear
Bungie is now selling gear with unique bonuses like a taken look and emote, in what is a loot game
In a game where the loot system has ways to level up loot immediately to max to continue playing

I spelled it out for you. Destiny is a loot game. I can keep doing high end activities by immediately infusing gear. What do you do those activities for? For the loot.

But you can now skip the middle man and by the loot directly.

People can act daft and call it 'cosmetics' all they want, but when the company compromises what makes a loot game, a loot game, then there's a problem whether you're blind to it or not.

The biggest infuriating part for me is by people trying to defend by calling it cosmetic, or by saying 'But it's 3 light level' when there's a system to instantly max it out. A system made for you to be able to use your favorite gear. And they're locking the COOLEST looking gear with special little perks behind either a weekly drip, or a paywall.
I'm only referring to your implication that you can buy max level gear, which is totally off base. I didn't address the other complaints. Buying cosmetics doesn't bother me at all, but what you said about buying max level gear was totally false.

Are you going to wear the 3 LL that you get then for end game?

Don't try to obfuscate. You know damn well Deku can instantly max it out to 320.

Again, what's the point of doing the new content if you can instantly by that contents rewards right off the bat?

If they sold the Kings Fall armor for money, letting you bypass the weekly lockout, albeit at a lower light level, would you be ok for that? What would be the damn reason to do Kings Fall if you could get all the armor immediately?

I'm only referring to your implication that you can buy max level gear, which is totally off base. I didn't address the other complaints. Buying cosmetics doesn't bother me at all, but what you said about buying max level gear was totally false.

Please quote me where I said 'You can buy max light level gear.'

Go for it. Quote me. I'm here waiting. I want a link. I know damn well what I've said, and I haven't said that. So don't put words into my mouth.

NeOak

Infusion.
Can you buy the 335 piece?

Don't try to obfuscate. You know damn well Deku can instantly max it out to 320.

Again, what's the point of doing the new content if you can instantly by that contents rewards right off the bat?

If they sold the Kings Fall armor for money, letting you bypass the weekly lockout, albeit at a lower light level, would you be ok for that? What would be the damn reason to do Kings Fall if you could get all the armor immediately?
Are they selling the 320+ gear?

Tell me. Are they? Because if they are, I would be pissed.

No, they are selling you boxes you can get weekly. Wait 2 weeks and your may get the whole new armor. Which you still need to do the endgame content to raise.

Frenden

Banned
WTF Freden. What part of they are increased without boosts did you miss?

I understand, now, that there are two increases. One general increase and one RNG pay-box item drop. Yay for the first. Boo for the second.

And your first reply to me wasn't parseable. Your first sentence had a typo and wasn't clear.

CLBridges

As I mentioned in the Gaming side thread, I am looking forward to the new updates. Didn't think their would be as much dislike for the low level gear purchasing, but it doesn't bother me a bit. I remember back when I was real heavy into Mass effect 3 multiplayer, it allowed you to buy all these weapon and character packs with cash or grind it out. Same thing here, buying or grinding, it has no effect on how I play the game. As long as they're not selling 335 weapon/armor, don't mind.

Deku Tree

They are not end-game when bought- You can infuse them with end game content when you acquire said content. I know I'm in the minority but all of that is completely optional and I see nothing wrong with it. If you don't want to wait for the free boxes each week then go be a dumbass and spend the money (Not you, speaking in general)

This is not the kind of game that I fell in love with playing. I don't like the direction that Destiny is moving in. That is all.

Jinjo

So we can pretty much divide Destiny years in a "grind the fuck out of everything"-phase (VoG/CE & KF) and "Here have all the progression you want"-phase (HoW & April update).

Good to know for next year.

Different, but same mistakes made in the beginning, then fixed half a year later.

Trakan

I'm super bummed that it's not a Taken shader and just a Taken reskin of POE armor. I don't even give a shit about that set anymore. Maybe just for the twitching emote. I like the actually new set though.

stay gold

Have to agree with Breezy on the paid armour.

You don't get cool drops in Destiny any more, the only purpose (PvE) end game serves is getting your meaningless LL up to whatever max is.

WipedOut

This is not the kind of game that I fell in love with playing. I don't like the direction that Destiny is moving in. That is all.

I agree. I do not like that the best looking stuff is locked behind timegate or you have to pay if you want it faster but at the end of the day, the same stuff can be free if you have patience. Which of course this being a loot game people don't have any, they want it all now.

Back to playing Division tonight. Come run some DZ with me, need to get to Rank 50

I am salty as fuck about the fact the taken look is not a shader, I will not lie.

Deku Tree

Yeah if the April update brings pay Silver for a new appearance of your guardian with an aura or a glow or a gun skin I would not like it. Next step pay money for OP guns with a 1/5000 chance of getting them from an RNG pack. No thanks. Not interested.

The whole thing your doing in Destiny is grinding for gear that you like how it looks and then you grind increase its power to max level. It sounds like in the future you might just be able to buy the best looking gear, and you can be sure the best looking stuff is not going to be included in the price of the game. That's not a future that I want to be involved in.

This is what I said a few days ago. It seems like my fears have come to pass. I will do what I said I was going to do. Maybe I'll log in once a week to get the mystery box. Maybe not. See ya.

Top Bottom