• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

Ghazi

I'm like the Thorn

I'll hit hard and on point, but what I enjoy the most is the lingering damage my words have. I'll never insult a fellow destiny player, but Bungie devs? They're the ones offering this product, and if we buy this product then we should be assured that they have full faith in it. They're open game as far as I'm concerned.

youre_serious_futurama.gif

embalm

I don't disagree with everything you say here, but this just isn't true, unless I am missing a whole bunch of stuff like two new activities, new exotics, new missions, new NPCs, etc.
I came in during Year 2, so what is part of what was part of what is a mixed bag for me. I didn't know Trials was part of HoW, I thought it came out afterwards.

A couple of new Quest lines, updated strike, a new strike, a point rush PoE mode, 40 updated items, 5 new sets of gear, and all of the other free event content like SRL and Crimson Days feels as big as the HoWs that I played. Which was pretty much a speed bump on my way to the Dreadnaught.

So while I will happily hand over cash for a paid expansion, I'm not one to complain about them setting up a system for free updates either. Especially when it seems pretty good so far.

"These free updates have and continue to be disappointing. I'd rather pay $20 twice a year because atleast then the content would have to be meaningful.

If you read the Kotaku article then you know this is not viable otherwise some devs at Bungie would probably die of permanent crunching. What you are asking for is not possible.

If you read the Kotaku article then you know this is not viable otherwise some devs at Bungie would probably die of permanent crunching. What you are asking for is not possible.

I do agree that concurrently developing smaller expansions for a game whilst also working on not only Destiny 2 but larger expansions is hard unless they hire more people.

Ayyyyyyyy

Is that hope I smell, Ape?

Nothing wrong with some hope or positive thinking right? :) I secretly want it to remain bad because I deleted that helmet TWICE in Y1. It is currently my only missing exotic armor piece now(excluding the reaming 4 faction armors)

Yeah it makes the golden gun meter drain slower too now.

Wait, for serious? I would be good with that. I have a tendency to pop my GG at the wrong time and only get 1 kill.

That PDX-45 from the gunsmith isn't cutting it. I need counterbalance.

Mah Guardian. CB is where it's at.

NeOak

That's been the worst part of Year 2. We've had 3 events, but the game is no larger.
Where were all the people bitching when Queen's Wrath was over?

I mean, I got a Chasing Infinity. You can't get anymore and you only had 35 chances per character max to get it.

Didn't see them bitching back then. They were looking forward to IB.

Now they bitch about limited time events.

Make Halloween a year long holiday then.

That PDX-45 from the gunsmith isn't cutting it. I need counterbalance.

But chur didn't you know, Destiny isn't about the loot. You're going to take your PDX-45 and you're going to enjoy it.

I mean, I got a Chasing Infinity. You can't get anymore and you only had 35 chances per character max to get it.

Man Neo, you sure are angry that people dislike the way Bungie are doing things. Do you work for Bungie by any chance? Calm down buddy, people can have different opinions than you.

Man, they should have made SRL permanent.

And no, I'm mad because it's a load of smoke. Those same people will be playing when the update comes.

Permanent SRL would've been great.

And yeah, Destiny is still a fun game to play. It's almost as if those people are unhapy on the path Destiny has taken and is going in regards to many things.

People didn't complain when queens wrath was over because we knew we had expansions incoming. It's apples and oranges.

It needed to go because it was bad. I was upset, plenty of people were, when it never came back. Especially when it only came back as a paid DLC. There's still no regular PvE event like Iron Banner and Trials.

It's been 3 months, why hasn't SRL come back? Even for a fun weekend without ranks or whatever? Why put so much effort into events that have 0 lasting impact?

Destiny is a HUGE game, but the stuff that's available at the end game is minuscule. It's kinda sad.

Trakan

I came in during Year 2, so what is part of what was part of what is a mixed bag for me. I didn't know Trials was part of HoW, I thought it came out afterwards.

A couple of new Quest lines, updated strike, a new strike, a point rush PoE mode, 40 updated items, 5 new sets of gear, and all of the other free event content like SRL and Crimson Days feels as big as the HoWs that I played. Which was pretty much a speed bump on my way to the Dreadnaught.

So while I will happily hand over cash for a paid expansion, I'm not one to complain about them setting up a system for free updates either. Especially when it seems pretty good so far.

Those updated items are items that a lot of people already own or have earned in the past, but Bungie just chose not to bring them forward. It's only 1 actually new set of gear. The others are all reskins of reskins.

GhaleonEB

If the kotaku article was true about them having to restructure the game are true, then damn they must have known for a while.
I can't tell if you are making a joke or really did miss the point, but that's obviously not what happened. The core idea for Destiny has been constant, it's the support / development model that has been changing.

###

Count me among those worried about the loot boxes in Eververse. The moment they showed them, with the possible loot table visible, I knew they'd be for sale. Unlike the other post-TTK events, this puts loot for sale as a permanent (or at least, non-timed) part of the core game. The other drops are doled out on a weekly basis from just a few activities, so from what has been described it seems clear pay for gear is now a part of the game. Which strikes me as a violation of the spirit in which Eververse was rolled out:

If you’re not interested in what Tess has to offer, you won’t ever be forced to pluck an item off of her shelf. You’ll still receive updates to the game, and you won’t lose a Crucible encounter or fail to clear a Raid because you didn’t have the right Eververse Trading Company emote equipped.
This is non-specific and left them a lot of (intentional) wiggle room, but it was widely interpreted to limit the scope of her wares to cosmetic items. Now there's a major loot stream that Eververse overlaps with.

I'm really not comfortable with this. It's also a total reversal of the loot philosophy behind The Taken King, where they pushed the idea of dedicated rewards for activities - more gear tied to quests and missions. Now it's new gear tied to RNG gift boxes.

NeOak

Permanent SRL would've been great.

And yeah, Destiny is still a fun game to play. It's almost as if those people are unhapy on the path Destiny has taken and is going in regards to many things.
Many of those took it up the ass being Forever29 and then they let them get raped again with the 331 BS.

They whined, but kept playing. If you are unhappy, stop playing. I did for TDB. First Crota NM I ever did was when Drizz was doing flawless runs in June last year.

Bungie gets the data. They notice when people stop playing. Vote with your time, not whining in a forum where we can't do shit about it other than say "yeah, I agree" or "no, I don't agree"

I'm really not comfortable with this. It's also a total reversal of the loot philosophy behind The Taken King, where they pushed the idea of dedicated rewards for activities - more gear tied to quests and missions. Now it's new gear tied to RNG gift boxes.

That philosophy only applied to quests, not end-game activities. You would reasonably expect to get a drop from a raid boss. You would be wrong.

If only you could hear the disappointment and disbelief in Graverobber's voice yesterday during his technically first KF raid. He got 2 shards from killing Golgoroth, he couldn't believe it :/

NeOak

That philosophy only applied to quests, not end-game activities. You would reasonably expect to get a drop from a raid boss. You would be wrong.

If only you could hear the disappointment and disbelief in Graverobber's voice yesterday during his technically first KF raid. He got 2 shards from killing Golgoroth, he couldn't believe it :/
Did he forget about Ass shards or energy?

We've been getting that all the time. Sadly.

chur

Don't say this! I'm pretty excited to pull this one down. I'll do it anyways and hope CB doesn't show up next week.
I got it so I wouldn't have to transfer around my CB PDX-45 around so much. It's an OK roll but I can't deal with it after using one with CB.

Many of those took it up the ass being Forever29 and then they let them get raped again with the 331 BS.

They whined, but kept playing. If you are unhappy, stop playing. I did for TDB. First Crota NM I ever did was when Drizz was doing flawless runs in June last year.

Bungie gets the data. They notice when people stop playing. Vote with your time, not whining in a forum where we can't do shit about it other than say "yeah, I agree" or "no, I don't agree"

Let me put it another way.

I remember people farming Grasp of malok. They'd come in here, ask for help, ask if anyone else wanted to do it, and have fun.

People wanted to get that last PoE piece, and would ask people to help them out.

Either way, there are people who aim for a certain piece of gear. And they do things with others to accomplish that.

And you know what? That was fine. That's cool. People coming together to do this one PvE activity with a goal.

Real talk. I love seeing people ask for help with PoE, or to farm Grasp of Malok, or to do Kings Fall because they still need a set. I'm sure I'm not the only one who enjoys that aspect of the game, asking for help for a common goal. And you know what? The loot boxes undermine that. They undermine the community. So it starts with the armor you earn through PoE or the weekly free box. What if it continues to the themed weapons next? What if it goes on to include rare drops like the Grasp of Malok, and they restrict those types of drops in turn in order to create an incentive for people to pay for the loot boxes? That's what I dislike. That is the slippery slope. Yes, you can't buy power, but you can buy the piece and then just level it up with the gear you already have. What if you could buy a 3 LL Grasp of Malok with the perfect roll? Chances are that the average player can infuse it to their level. It'd be an insult to players who farmed for it.

So you're thinking. 'You like to play the game alot, just stop playing and show Bungie that!'. The truth is, by myself I'm not going to show Bungie anything. Not unless I made a movement or something. But I do believe Bungie reads forums. And why do I stir up a storm? Because if atleast one dev sees what I said, and they say 'Hey, this guy is so angry at what we're doing. Maybe we should look at it again..' then that's worth it.

is Breezy an architect?

An architect of pain and sorrow.

GhaleonEB

Right, but the overall message was, they were shifting a larger proportion of the loot in the game to dedicated quest rewards, as compared to year 1. The mix was shifting. With this update, it feels like it's shifting back. And to your point - the underlying rewards really need to be addressed. That's just awful. :(

border

There was a time when your armor was meant to visually signify all your accomplishments, as a quick shorthand way of letting people know that you'd killed this or that boss.

The gift box effectively breaks that philosophy by giving the most recognizable and visually striking gear to people who want to gamble real money for it. There will be no distinction between the top PVE players and the people who just coughed up $20.

Ultimately though the effect will probably just mean that all this new armor they've spent time working on won't be remotely as desirable as it would have been otherwise.

Because if atleast one dev sees what I said, and they say 'Hey, this guy is so angry at what we're doing. Maybe we should look at it again..' then that's worth it.

Pfff they won't listen to you Breezy they know you are always angry :p

Kidding aside we have certainly reached a point in the games life that is questionable because you can indirectly buy power now since the items are no longer just cosmetic things that impact how your sparrow races. You can essentially spend money to get a perfect intellect discipline roll on any of this cosmetic gear right? Want a taken chest with int-disc plus more sniper ammo? You can have that if you get lucky but it will probably cost you. Now all you have to do is get a piece of 335 gear and infuse it to instantly have 335 int disc taken chest piece with more sniper ammo. Or you can hope your three chances a week gets you a similar roll. That to me is buying power.

ocean

Banned
There was a time when your armor was meant to visually signify all your accomplishments, as a quick shorthand way of letting people know that you'd killed this or that boss.

The gift box effectively breaks that philosophy by giving the most recognizable and visually striking gear to people who want to gamble real money for it. There will be no distinction between the top PVE players and the people who just coughed up $20.

Ultimately though the effect will probably just mean that all this new armor they've spent time working on won't be remotely as desirable as it would have been otherwise.
"Top PvE players" have never ever had something that lets them stand out. I mean the highest tier of PvE reward is a Raid set, which literally every single active player got.

There's never been any exclusive or hard to get gear in this game, except for Adept Trials stuff (an element in Y1, a color scheme in Y2). Other than that, everyone has everything.

Now some will have "earned it" others wil have bought it but this whole "I see you wearing KF helm so that means you're a good player" narrative has never existed.

The game would be a hell of a lot better if there were skill based rewards but sadly there aren't any. Few times they've tried* going in that direction people bitch and whine until requirements are nerfed so things are easier to get (First Curse) or watered down until they're not getting (Mercury not being elemental not 320).

* notable exception: Black Spindle

Top Bottom