• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

So in a week where I did a fair bit of Iron Banner, averaging a 1.75 kd/r in the 30+ matches I played, and generally playing very well I jumped into Trials.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

Every single match had me put against massively sweaty teams. Looking through Guardian.gg it is no wonder that we only managed to win 2 matches whilst completing one full set of bounties. 2-3 matches were against teams with similar ELO and came down to 5-4 wins or defeats more often than not. The rest however saw us matched against MLG pro's who gave us no chance. With average team ELO differences of ~500 points.

Normally in Trials, my team are able to battle through to 7 wins consistently. On our day we can go flawless but it requires a lot of luck in the matches we're drawn against. We are no where near the top tier individuals but we play together enough that we can put in a team performance. But this weekend was ridiculous, and in my opinion it is just another example of how Destiny is currently dead. The player pool is now so small that all you have left are sweat filled matches, because the only people remaining are new to the game and catching up or the hardcore of the hardcore.

As much as I enjoy trials I am not touching it with a barge pole until the next DLC drops. Getting stomped repeatedly is not fun, and there is no learning that takes place because the skill divide is so great.

So in a week where I did a fair bit of Iron Banner, averaging a 1.75 kd/r in the 30+ matches I played, and generally playing very well I jumped into Trials.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

Every single match had me put against massively sweaty teams. Looking through Guardian.gg it is no wonder that we only managed to win 2 matches whilst completing one full set of bounties. 2-3 matches were against teams with similar ELO and came down to 5-4 wins or defeats more often than not. The rest however saw us matched against MLG pro's who gave us no chance. With average team ELO differences of ~500 points.

Normally in Trials, my team are able to battle through to 7 wins consistently. On our day we can go flawless but it requires a lot of luck in the matches we're drawn against. We are no where near the top tier individuals but we play together enough that we can put in a team performance. But this weekend was ridiculous, and in my opinion it is just another example of how Destiny is currently dead. The player pool is now so small that all you have left are sweat filled matches, because the only people remaining are new to the game and catching up or the hardcore of the hardcore.

As much as I enjoy trials I am not touching it with a barge pole until the next DLC drops. Getting stomped repeatedly is not fun, and there is no learning that takes place because the skill divide is so great.

In our very first (and only) game Monday night, we matched the #18 ranked Trials player. I'd had enough sweat for the week by that point so it was a clear sign for me to shut it down until next weekend. It really gets draining when virtually every game is like that, considering Trials takes so much energy and focus.

Obviously more and more people are having your same experience and drawing the same conclusion to hang it up until an expansion boosts the player population. Unless some E3 news really livens things up, I'll eventually have to dial down my own Trials-time to preserve some sanity for Rise of Iron.

Anyone getting profound god awful lag despite everyone 'being green?'

I never trust the connection bar colors. I always trust my own feeling for when the game is responsive and when it's not. Someone with a bright red bar will reliably be a lag-monster, but a green bar doesn't guarantee anything in my experience.

In our very first (and only) game Monday night, we matched the #18 ranked Trials player. I'd had enough sweat for the week by that point so it was a clear sign for me to shut it down until next weekend. It really gets draining when virtually every game is like that, considering Trials takes so much energy and focus.

Obviously more and more people are having your same experience and drawing the same conclusion to hang it up until an expansion boosts the player population. Unless some E3 news really livens things up, I'll eventually have to dial down my own Trials-time to preserve some sanity for Rise of Iron.

It is becoming way to common to get matched up against top 50 Trials players. Y1 I didn't encounter any of them. Y2 it seems to be an every week occurence.

It is becoming way to common to get matched up against top 50 Trials players. Y1 I didn't encounter any of them. Y2 it seems to be an every week occurence.

We had matched rank #36 and teams just as sweaty just the day before so yeah me and drizz werent having any of that shit lol.

Mindlog

First CoE was 6k short of 45. Thought we were going to have to do 3.
Then completely unplanned clutch.
567POvE.jpg

Lots of people having weird connection problems again though.

border

I've been playing casually on Xbox One with a friend, and haven't really kept up with the community. We've slowly been able to scrape our way up to 321 Light thanks to this last Iron Banner.

Other than doing Hard Mode raids and Iron Banner once a month, is there any reliable way for us to raise our Light any further? I am guessing it might finally be time for us to hang up our hats.

LkPr

I've been playing casually on Xbox One with a friend, and haven't really kept up with the community. We've slowly been able to scrape our way up to 321 Light thanks to this last Iron Banner.

Other than doing Hard Mode raids and Iron Banner once a month, is there any reliable way for us to raise our Light any further? I am guessing it might finally be time for us to hang up our hats.

CoE

spyder_ur

Tons of ways. Definitely CoE is the most reliable and easy way. Use 3 of Coins for Exotic engrams which can decode up to 5 light levels above your average. Faction packages can also go up to five levels above you (up to 330).

Basically, play the game how you want. It's one of the best aspects of the patch.

WipedOut

I have oryx CP if anyone wants it. Will be on for a little bit but can provide it tomorrow also. (PS4)

Thanks to LT, T-44, Kreep, Dorssom and Hawk! One of the last reset groups going strong!

Oh and Johnny Boy. Can't forget him. Cheers!

Like Spyder said, you have lots of options. Planet Destiny has a nice summary of all the activities and what LL gear they can give:

http://planetdestiny.com/reach-335-light/

border

Tons of ways. Definitely CoE is the most reliable and easy way.

I forgot about CoE. I really dislike that activity though. It feels like such a transparent attempt to stretch a thin amount of content into something significant. You have to run it like 3 times just to get a single drop.

If it were based around speedy boss kills that might be one thing, but to rack up a high score you have to sit around killing waves of useless adds for no apparent reason. And then do it 2 more times. Does 3 of Coins work in there? That might make it seem a little more interesting. I only have 1 character on Xbox One, so it's not like I can really get 3 drops per week out of it.

Out of curiosity, what has the community's reaction to CoE been?

border

This seems woefully researched, and based more on Bungie's promises than the actual outcome they delivered.

"Engrams guaranteed to grant an item with Light value higher than your total Light"
"Non-Exotic Engrams now grant items up to 310"

These two items contradict each other. I've had plenty of Legendary Engrams that did not decode to a higher value than my light level.

"Lvl 41 Prison of Elders drops gear up to 320 Light"

I might try and run a PoE just to see, but I have rarely gotten anything close to 320 from normal Prison of Elders.

zewone

I forgot about CoE. I really dislike that activity though. It feels like such a transparent attempt to stretch a thin amount of content into something significant. You have to run it like 3 times just to get a single drop.

If it were based around speedy boss kills that might be one thing, but to rack up a high score you have to sit around killing waves of useless adds for no apparent reason. And then do it 2 more times. Does 3 of Coins work in there? That might make it seem a little more interesting. I only have 1 character on Xbox One, so it's not like I can really get 3 drops per week out of it.

You can do CoE in 2 runs every week; 3 is not required.

This week it's very easy to get it done in two.

Yes, 3 of Coins works on each boss.

CoE also drops 335 class items and ghost, as well as 335 versions of the PoE exotics.

Shiv47

You only have to do it twice if your group knows what it's doing, but yeah, it can be boring. 3oC do work. No idea what the larger community thinks, but I'm not bothering with it any more.

border

You can do CoE in 2 runs every week; 3 is not required.

I imagine that's certainly possible to do, but the friend I play with is not that great and we always have to recruit a 3rd person from DestinyLFG since we are on Xbox One. Given the limited skill base I'm working with, I don't believe we can expect to get 45,000 points per run.

Silav101

So...I stopped playing around midway through House of Wolves. Thinking of coming back with Taken King, since it's on PSN sale - and since I am only raid-logging onto FFXIV.

Any online resources/advice on how to catch up from House of Wolves to current state?

I also see a lot of familiar names from Iron Banner-Gaf Trains. :D

I forgot about CoE. [...] You have to run it like 3 times just to get a single drop.

Only have to run it once for a weapon of up to 335. 90000 points is for the armour from Variks.

What time zone are you in? I am on XBL and play in the evenings on the east coast of North America, so feel free to add me if you want.

WipedOut

What the actual fuck man. Thats literally the GOD god roll. Like, the one with <1% chance to drop so perfectly like that.

I guess it's time for me to learn how to snipe in this game. It just goes against the way I play. I want my Matador with Shot package and kneepads back.

Top Bottom