• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

zewone

Winter is Coming™

YgLpYlo.jpg

Bringing this list back again:

WANT:
  • Good PvP maps, especially symetrical maps that are made for some good 3v3 action.
  • PvP Custom Matches
  • 4v4 PvP game mode.
  • Loadouts
  • Rotating Vendor Items with rerolled gear/weapons [Hey they did this ONCE on April 12th for only weapons. Need to have that happen like once a week for both weapons and gear]
  • Not getting kicked out of Inventory Screen for 814 times before actually landing and spawning
  • More Vault and Inventory Space [DONE!!! At least Vault]
  • Ability to categorize/order inventory/vault by weapon type, weapon level, etc.
  • Join back Trials match that was booted from.
  • Join back previous pvp matchmade session or pve strike that was booted from.
  • NO RNG ON TOP OF RNG.
  • Similar Infusion System from HoW (no 80% crap) [DONE!!!]
  • Way Better guns and better gear.... wtb Carrots again. Raid weapons need to be great again.
  • FIX HAND CANNONS
  • Elemental primaries (elements weren't the problem, the perks versus kinetic, were).
  • Fix Special Ammo glitching (ice Breaker/sidearm/invective and switching weapons when dead) [might be done....]
  • Fix shadestep glitch [no word on this yet, hopefully tomorrow.....]
  • Dedicated servers or netcode fix or both or whatever.
  • Ability to auto decrypt/dismantle blues
  • Fix special ammo perk. It doesn't give you anything extra in PvP, just raises the cap. Very very silly.
  • A variable that holds your highest light on your char so that engrams will decrypt and rewards will be given according to that instead of having to equip all of that.

61hK95Ep1jL._SY355_.jpg

spyder_ur

OK, then. Inspiring.

I'm kind of lukewarm. I'm excited about anything Destiny-related, but I can't shake the feeling that I'll watch the reveal and my next thought will be "well then, nothing to change in Destiny for 3 (or whatever) months."

The Live Team has been a complete sham in my view, and I saw it coming a million miles away.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
OK, then. Inspiring.

I'm kind of lukewarm. I'm excited about anything Destiny-related, but I can't shake the feeling that I'll watch the reveal and my next thought will be "well then, nothing to change in Destiny for 3 (or whatever) months."

The Live Team has been a complete sham in my view, and I saw it coming a million miles away.
That's not true at all. This is the best time to start hording packages lmao. Last years engram/package hording was hilarious for the taken King.

On a more serious note in regards to the live team...what did you expect?

Did you expect a big amount of content more than a handful of people could handle? Did you expect patches quicker than a handful of people could fix? Again, what did you expect? I say if they really were as small as dgaf and the rest of the Internet jokes about then they did a decent job at the least.

Deku Tree

That's not true at all. This is the best time to start hording packages lmao. Last years engram/package hording was hilarious for the taken King.

On a more serious note in regards to the live team...what did you expect?

Did you expect a big amount of content more than a handful of people could handle? Did you expect patches quicker than a handful of people could fix? Again, what did you expect? I say if they really were as small as dgaf and the rest of the Internet jokes about then they did a decent job at the least.

No based on previous years then hording engrams and and rank up packages will only get you old stuff.

The only thing you could horde last year was experience. You could collect 20 PE packages per character (this is gone) and you could save up 5K bounties. And you could also "edge" your factions to be ready for a rank up right when the expansion launched. You can probably still do all of that but I'm not gonna bother. Not feeling Destiny as much as before personally.

But engrams and already awarded packages will always give you the old stuff.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
No based on previous years then hording engrams and and rank up packages will only get you old stuff.

The only thing you could horde last year was experience. You could collect 20 PE packages per character (this is gone) and you could save up 5K bounties. And you could also "edge" your factions to be ready for a rank up right when the expansion launched. You can probably still do all of that but I'm not gonna bother. Not feeling Destiny as much as before personally.

i was kidding Deku lol

Except for the april update. Old exotic engrams decoded to new light levels, etc.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I think the biggest reason for packages not converting was due to the infusion/LL conversion. Unless there's a big change like that again I doubt that packages will be affected. Engrams are possibly a different story though unless light level is simply increased. At that point I could see hordes exotic engrams working.

Deku Tree

The April update was a small special update. IMO the Iron expansion is gonna be a complete reset just like last fall. Not even exotic engrams will decode into new stuff. But maybe they will let you infuse your old stuff.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
We wouldn't need elemental primaries if secondary and heavy guns weren't constantly nerfed. I think no elemental primaries is a good thing, but maybe not. Top tier/highly sought after guns are always going to be a thing anyways, I guess they should be more fun if that's the case. Watch we're gonna get elemental primaries back but with God-awful peeks lol.

WeTeHa

The April update was a small special update. IMO the Iron expansion is gonna be a complete reset just like last fall. Not even exotic engrams will decode into new stuff. But maybe they will let you infuse your old stuff.

I started saving my engrams. There's no exotics I need from weapon engrams and I don't need 335 gear as I have a ridiculous amount of infusion fodder in my vault.

I'm not expecting any new stuff to drop from the engrams, maybe I'll get some higher light gear though.
Worst case, I'll get a whole bunch of exotic shards when the expansion launches.

Y3 is gonna have probably more microtransactions and possibly less content than y2.

I dread it.

If blizzard can make free updates for diablo 3 and keep their word on free updates with Overwatch fundes by the loot box sales, than its the point where I ask myself, why keep paying for Destiny updates.

Not to be negative like usual, but those are my thoughts on the matter

Deku Tree

I can only imagine Y2 is a "figuring shit out" year. They should have a better plan in place for Y3/4.

At least I hope.

I dread it.

If blizzard can make free updates for diablo 3 and keep their word on free updates with Overwatch fundes by the loot box sales, than its the point where I ask myself, why keep paying for Destiny updates.

Not to be negative like usual, but those are my thoughts on the matter

If they don't announce a y3 roadmap and a y3 season pass then believe it's gonna be worse than y2 for actual content.

Deku Tree

Maye High Moon Studios can get something done.... I really hope that's the case.

Maybe but I don't think we'll get any meaty content without intermediate paid expansions. They're not giving away a free raid in the middle of y3 for people who own rise of iron because they made a lot of microtransaction money.

They kind of just made Taken King the season pass tho. You had to have it for all the "DLC" that came out afterwards

I think most people would agree that the content drip in y2 was extremely light and most of it was a thinly veiled excuse to sell microtransactions. Add to that most of the content was temporary.

ViciousDS

Banned
Kill infusions!!!! I want to just hunt materials to get my weapons up not pray to God that I get a shitty but higher level gun!

FyreWulff

Maybe but I don't think we'll get any meaty content without intermediate paid expansions. They're not giving away a free raid in the middle of y3 for people who own rise of iron because they made a lot of microtransaction money.

I think most people would agree that the content drip in y2 was extremely light and most of it was a thinly veiled excuse to sell microtransactions. Add to that most of the content was temporary.

Yep. They had it right the first time with the Festival of the Lost. Then the MT model changed and I was like

:/

WeTeHa

Oh yeah, there is no way we'll get any substantial free stuff. I don't mind paying for expansions though. I'd rather have 2 paid dlc's between larger expansions than what we had in year 2. Screw microtransactions.

Trakan

With the amount of playtime I get from this game, I really do not mind spending $20 to $40 multiple times throughout the year for expansions. I don't care about microtransactions being in the game. I just don't want a content drought for any longer than a few months at a time.

AFIAK they are. If they had bombed I don't think SRL and Taken Spring would have had MTs. They would have gone back to DLC packs.

That is true. But they only did SRL once. They never brought it back since then.

Taken Spring sounds wonderful. I can't wait for Fallen Autumn. :p

Kill infusions!!!! I want to just hunt materials to get my weapons up not pray to God that I get a shitty but higher level gun!

Thats the other thing that irks me. They only "fixed" infusions to accomadate the armor from the loot boxes, otherwise that MT would be that much worse.

Fuck OP weapons, the last thing i want for this game is the return of that kind of mechanics. They need to fix some stuff, but the least stuff they bring from year 1, the better.

Anybody with a Oryx NM checkpoint?

spyder_ur

Sorry didn't see this.

To answer your question, no I didn't expect much more after the shift in priorities to MT was announced. But that's part of the problem and I'm still disappointed.

Part of the reason given for the change was to allow the live team to make the world a more liveable, adaptable game. I don't feel like that was the case.

"Our plan is to use these new items to bolster the service provided by our live team for another full year, as they grow and create more robust and engaging events that we'll announce later this year," Bungie said in their official update. "It has been, and continues to be, our goal to deliver updates to the game. Going forward, our live team is also looking to grow beyond vital updates and improvements to focus on world events, experiences, and feature requests."

Personally I don't feel this vision was borne out. The switch to MT was a way to ensure profits kept coming while allowing the team to negotiate their struggling internal resources and buy more time for full scale releases. That's OK, but not what was said. It was quite clear that the design of the patches was aimed at facilitating microtransactions rather than being on the side, and that's the core of my disappointment.

I actually liked the patches OK in and of themselves. Halloween and VDay were garbage, but I enjoyed SRL and was pleasantly surprised by the spring update. Still, I much preferred the standard DLC experiences and additional content offered in year 1, even if I had to pay.

Plus since September we've heard about what was coming, and while I'm excited about seeing what's in store Thursday, we're still in that place.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Sorry didn't see this.

To answer your question, no I didn't expect much more after the shift in priorities to MT was announced. But that's part of the problem and I'm still disappointed.

Part of the reason given for the change was to allow the live team to make the world a more liveable, adaptable game. I don't feel like that was the case.

Personally I don't feel this vision was borne out. The switch to MT was a way to ensure profits kept coming while allowing the team to negotiate their struggling internal resources and buy more time for full scale releases. That's OK, but not what was said. It was quite clear that the design of the patches was aimed at facilitating microtransactions rather than being on the side, and that's the core of my disappointment.

I actually liked the patches OK in and of themselves. Halloween and VDay were garbage, but I enjoyed SRL and was pleasantly surprised by the spring update. Still, I much preferred the standard DLC experiences and additional content offered in year 1, even if I had to pay.

Plus since September we've heard about what was coming, and while I'm excited about seeing what's in store Thursday, we're still in that place.
I agree with all your sentiments. I was more so just curious of what you expected realistically and what you expected from bungie. It really has been a pisspoor year when you look at the y1 content drops.

Thats the other thing that irks me. They only "fixed" infusions to accomadate the armor from the loot boxes, otherwise that MT would be that much worse.

And how do you know what their motivation for this infusion change was?

Are you simply presuming that because it fits a 'love to hate' template that seems to thrive here from time to time?

I view this change as exceptionally player friendly. They could have offered other ways to allow rapid light level ascension on the armour that came out of these boxes. Instead, they changed the system globally for the better.

It's amazing to me to hear that someone is 'irked' by this change, and doubly amazing that they are convinced (state as fact) that they know the motivation for the change.

Are you simply presuming that because it fits a 'love to hate' template that seems to thrive here from time to time?

I view this change as exceptionally player friendly. They could have offered other ways to allow rapid light level ascension on the armour that came out of these boxes. Instead, they changed the system globally for the better.

It's amazing to me to hear that someone is 'irked' by this change, and doubly amazing that they are convinced (state as fact) that they know the motivation for the change.

It's an assumption, but not one without a little bit of basis. They both came out in the same patch. LL 3 items would go up to around 250 if infused with a 320. We all know that wouldn't fly. Bungie has also done some shady crap. 0.04% anyone?

Not saying everyone at bungie is evil either. Video games are a business. I know I'm still going to bitch when I see some bs though. Again, breezy made an assumption, but not one he pulled out of his ass.

It's an assumption, but not one without a little bit of basis. They both came out in the same patch. LL 3 items would go up to around 250 if infused with a 320. We all know that wouldn't fly. Bungie has also done some shady crap. 0.04% anyone?

Not saying everyone at bungie is evil either. Video games are a business. I know I'm still going to bitch when I see some bs though. Again, breezy made an assumption, but not one he pulled out of his ass.

Actually, yeah. It does seem pretty much pulled out of where you said, and with no real basis in fact. Two things happening simultaneously that fit the narrative of 'bad Bungie' is just too delicious to resist it seems.

Has Bungie done things all of us don't like? Heck yes. With so many moving parts, things about this machine we call Destiny (when changed) are going to piss someone off. It's unavoidable.

But that, and the leap to this, is just a leap of nonsense in my mind. So as long as people on this point continue to state Bungie's motivations as so matter of factly as this, I'm happy to call it out as BS.

It's my assumption through and through. But do you really believe they would've patched infusion levels if they didn't introduce armor Microtransactions?

Think about it this way-They're thinking about adding buyable armor. So in talking about this, they mention 'Well what about infusion? If a player buys armor and can't max it out immediately with their current pieces, then nobody will want to buy the armor if they're trying to get to max level.'

One thing leads to another, and Infusion leveling is fixed at the same time this armor is introduced. It's conjecture, but like the saying goes, if you want to get that apple by tomorrow, you should've planted the tree a year ago.

Actually, yeah. It does seem pretty much pulled out of where you said, and with no real basis in fact. Two things happening simultaneously that fit the narrative of 'bad Bungie' is just too delicious to resist it seems.

Has Bungie done things all of us don't like? Heck yes. With so many moving parts, things about this machine we call Destiny (when changed) are going to piss someone off. It's unavoidable.

But that, and the leap to this, is just a leap of nonsense in my mind. So as long as people on this point continue to state Bungie's motivations as so matter of factly as this, I'm happy to call it out as BS.

It's critical thinking. The only basis I have is that the infusion change arrived only when the DLC armor did, not before, not after, but during. And hey, I never said 'bad bungie'. That's a good business move if anything, making the armor appealing(By having different perks among other things) with 'fixing' infusing(Fix in quotes because we know nobody liked the old level of only getting a partial amount of levels when infusing). A coincidence, sure. But at some point you start thinking about what else was in this patch, and suddenly things start connecting, and it just being a coincidence becomes less and less likely.

It's my assumption through and through. But do you really believe they would've patched infusion levels if they didn't introduce armor Microtransactions?

Think about it this way-They're thinking about adding buyable armor. So in talking about this, they mention 'Well what about infusion? If a player buys armor and can't max it out immediately with their current pieces, then nobody will want to buy the armor if they're trying to get to max level.'

One thing leads to another, and Infusion leveling is fixed at the same time this armor is introduced. It's conjecture, but like the saying goes, if you want to get that apple by tomorrow, you should've planted the tree a year ago.

Well I like the way you phrased this a whole lot better. I still think it's a lame assumption, but entitled to it you are. I think it's phrased better as an assumption than as a fact.

Also, since Bungie has the code and the coders, they could have come up with some way to level that stuff fast without affecting the global infusion mechanic. It's laughable to think they HAD to do it that way. They clearly didn't have to, they know how to code to their desires.

But let's split the difference. If you really believe that their motivation was to serve the interests of MT's FIRST, then the conversation would ultimately had to have evolved into an "you know what, this is win win - the players will love this, and it will make the MT's easier to accept"

And if any conversation on MT's comes along with a win for players on top of it all, then that's got to be something to be happy about - because the MT's are here to stay, love them or hate them. Why not get some win out of it?

I'm pretty sure that even if you're right about this being a primary motivator (the MT's), no one at Bungie is grumbling that they had to give in to the players and surrender a change to the infusion mechanic that they never wanted us to have.

EDIT: small point to your most recent message - I do think that it makes sense if you're going to open up a section of code to modify infusion, it makes sense to do everything you want to do to it in one sitting. So the change to infusion was likely a developer sensible move as it addressed two needs at once, and are not necessarily connected at all.

Oh I'm sure that nobody at Bungie is grumbling that they had to make infusing better. And like you said, it makes MT's more appealing. "I can get this cool looking armor and immediately have it at max to use!" is as good as any pitch to selling something. Then you have the chromas(Again, a little cosmetic thing added that is primarily through the MT's), and what not, and buying that MT is more appealing than not.

One thing is for sure, Bungie worked hard on making their Microtransactions appealing. Whether this is a good thing or bad thing is up to you.

EDIT: On your edited point-If what the engine part of Destiny is true, than doing it in one sitting is better than having to take multiple nights uploading different changes.

Top Bottom