• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

Mindlog

The #MLG tag is frequently tossed about in these parts and today is reset day, but I'm pretty sure we can shut down the Clip of the Week competition because nothing is going to top this.

HZcqVhZ.gif

Professional. My montage is almost complete.

image.php

Let the record show I have also been complaining about his god roll madness. I even complained about his god-roll 1kYS while I was using it....

jfphzX6.gif

I am trying to figure out this rapid head snipe thing. Would you say that dragging the reticule across the head is the key to making this work?

I can't for the life of me come close to headshotting anyone this fast.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The #MLG tag is frequently tossed about in these parts and today is reset day, but I'm pretty sure we can shut down the Clip of the Week competition because nothing is going to top this.

HZcqVhZ.gif

Professional. My montage is almost complete.
Taken got no assists on that kill

zewone

I am trying to figure out this rapid head snipe thing. Would you say that dragging the reticule across the head is the key to making this work?

That's the key to all sniping in this game.

Pull the reticle towards the persons head and let the game's cartoon-level of ridiculous sniper aim assist do the rest.

thedan001

Thinking about coming back to destiny (PS4)

I'm on the fence so I wanted to ask GAF for help

I played a lot during the first year on Xbox 1 because my bro and friends were playing this, that group stopped playing so Im switching to a new account on PS4 since I think it's easier to find people to play with

2nd thing which is what I'm hesitating from mostly, I'm deaf so I won't be able to use mic's so that makes lfg for raids difficult. Not having a consistent group that is willing to play with my handicap is a big obstacle really. With patience, eventually I was sherpa'ing new players through the vault of glass and Crotas raid back then (used Xbox messaging to tell ppl what to do, bleh) so at least I know what I'm doing as long as I understand mechanics

Wanted to ask if I would have any luck playing with gaffers after coming back? Do players still use destiny lfg website?

Thanks and any tips will be a big plus!

WeTeHa

God damn...are you still running pvp?

Was just running a couple random matches with friends. I don't play much pvp outside of iron banner. Now that I have a party crasher I just need an eyasluna.

This is the man that must be stopped. No one ever talks about all the God rolls that weteha gets.

You just have to fly under the radar by not posting pictures of your loot on the top of the page :p

Mindlog

Damn, Meant to check back, but I accidentally killed the boss with a rocket.
330 Dealbreaker with Counterbalance. Jackpot!

Who do I need to message to join the Destiny GAF PS4 community?

Go ahead and submit a request to join to the community and I'll make sure you get approved. However I always warn people that afaik the PS4 community is not used much if at all despite having hundreds of members. If anyone around here actually uses it please let me know.

Who do I need to message to join the Destiny GAF PS4 community?
Youre in. U are now a made man/woman

If this is your first night at DGAF, you have to post.

Welcome.

Ghost edit: dam, you mean the comunity, not the forums. Sleep deprivation for working nights and playing games in the morning will do this to you.
Moral of the history: do not work

FyreWulff

Go ahead and submit a request to join to the community and I'll make sure you get approved. However I always warn people that afaik the PS4 community is not used much if at all despite having hundreds of members. If anyone around here actually uses it please let me know.

Hardly anyone uses them. Great idea snuffed by terrible execution.

LeFAIS

Thank you, and thank you for letting me know. Gonna be interesting...

Youre in. U are now a made man/woman

If this is your first night at DGAF, you have to post.

Welcome.

Ghost edit: dam, you mean the comunity, not the forums. Sleep deprivation for working nights and playing games in the morning will do this to you.
Moral of the history: do not work

I'll take it either way!

That's quite too bad.

Yeah that's my experience with it as well. It definitely feels like a "first attempt" kinda thing. Hopefully they iterate on it enough to realize the potential that's clearly there.

Re: Discord. I definitely have mixed feelings about it. It's been fun to have a loose and open-ended venue for people to bullshit all sorts of nonsense, and the overwhelming majority of posts aren't Destiny related. But the Destiny stuff (and even some of the off-topic posts) would have been part of a broader discussion here pre-Discord. Clearing up LFG posts is probably for the best but it's come at the expense of thread livelihood. My big question is how much of the downturn is Discord-related vs. dead-Destiny-related since both factors are clearly contributing. The real test will come Thursday with a major reveal. It'll bum me out a little if even that doesn't move the needle around here.

Deku Tree

Discord is too hard to follow. You can't just jump in and catch up like you can in a thread because all you get is the last few minutes of posts and most of it is not destiny related. It's a chat room.

FyreWulff

I think it's a little bit of both, but Discord draining the er.. "thread churn" as it were has been consistent for every thread that's adopted one that I follow on GAF.

Hell, it even killed my Halo Skype community group chat, which killed my Halo clan's forum...

It's even killing the thread churn for some subreddits I follow. Discord link is shared, and things die down shortly after. Scorehero (the hardcore community for Rock Band / Guitar Hero, my other addiction) is actually completely 100% dead now due to the 1-2 combo of starting a Discord and the /r/RockBand subreddit taking over as the central community of that genre.

Discord is too hard to follow. You can't just jump in and catch up like you can in a thread because all you get is the last few minutes of posts and most of it is not destiny related. It's a chat room.

Also this. It's hard enough to follow the 2 or 3 discords I'm in, I don't want to be in like 30 of them.

There are a couple points here:

-equip speed + ADS speed: I'm playing Bladedancer with Quickdraw using a sniper with Snapshot. So I can switch from my primary, ready my sniper and zoom in really quickly.

-position your reticle near head height before ADS'ing: after I switch to sniper, I move up and to the left before zooming in. Once you've zoomed it's obviously much harder/slower to make large adjustments. This is an important habit to develop whenever you play. Pay attention to your reticle position relative to level geometry even before encountering enemies. If you're on a flat surface then keep it level in front; approaching an incline means you should adjust it up, etc. Think about where enemies will approach from and put the reticle where you'd expect their heads to show up.

-swipe sniping aka drag scoping: after zooming, I notice his head is slightly to the right. So I swipe right and immediately pull the trigger. The key here is to not wait for the reticle to actually be aligned with the head, otherwise it will be way too slow and the target will move. The reason this works well is Destiny's high AA, and what AA actually does.

-aim assist: AA means reticle slowdown and "stickiness." It does not mean bullet magnetism, i.e. your bullets don't curve to correct for an off-target shot. More AA means the reticle slows down and sticks to a target more. When swiping, this gives you a longer window to pull the trigger and have it still register the kill since the reticle will spend (fractions of a second) longer on target. By contrast, if you aim slowly to deliberately line up your shot, the AA will make it take (very slightly) longer since it starts to slow down near the target.

Ultimately it comes down to practice and muscle memory, like any tactile skill. The positioning and situational awareness is important to give yourself "good shots" but actually hitting your shots is muscle memory.

There are a couple points here:

-equip speed + ADS speed: I'm playing Bladedancer with Quickdraw using a sniper with Snapshot. So I can switch from my primary, ready my sniper and zoom in really quickly.

-position your reticle near head height before ADS'ing: after I switch to sniper, I move up and to the left before zooming in. Once you've zoomed it's obviously much harder/slower to make large adjustments. This is an important habit to develop whenever you play. Pay attention to your reticle position relative to level geometry even before encountering enemies. If you're on a flat surface then keep it level in front; approaching an incline means you should adjust it up, etc. Think about where enemies will approach from and put the reticle where you'd expect their heads to show up.

-swipe sniping aka drag scoping: after zooming, I notice his head is slightly to the right. So I swipe right and immediately pull the trigger. The key here is to not wait for the reticle to actually be aligned with the head, otherwise it will be way too slow and the target will move. The reason this works well is Destiny's high AA, and what AA actually does.

-aim assist: AA means reticle slowdown and "stickiness." It does not mean bullet magnetism, i.e. your bullets don't curve to correct for an off-target shot. More AA means the reticle slows down and sticks to a target more. When swiping, this gives you a longer window to pull the trigger and have it still register the kill since the reticle will spend (fractions of a second) longer on target. By contrast, if you aim slowly to deliberately line up your shot, the AA will make it take (very slightly) longer since it starts to slow down near the target.

Ultimately it comes down to practice and muscle memory, like any tactile skill. The positioning and situational awareness is important to give yourself "good shots" but actually hitting your shots is muscle memory.
Hold up. Let my write down this cheat code.

Top Bottom