• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

the_id

Can't wait to watch all the microtransactions for sale on tomorrow's stream! The only question is how will Bungie further up the ante on MTs and more deeply ingrain them into the Destiny gameplay and make them even more pervasive than they were before?
It will be RNG within RNG with sterling silver involved. you can still get the stuff by grinding, but hey, why not just buy it and have a CHANCE of getting them as well.

Manp

Many, many mistakes were made.

I had 200, plus another 100 in old Trials bounties. The other 510 came from using Motes to level gear and then dismantling it for 5 marks a pop. That's 102 gear pieces leveled and deleted (my vault desperately needed cleaning). All for six rolls of the Cryptarch's Special Engram Lottery which netted me two Panta Rheis, one Long Far Gone, one Tao Hua Yuan, one Jabberhakke... and a LL300 Invective.

I get why they removed Gunsmith re-rolling, but there's a huge gap between that and this. Engrams cost waaaay too many marks, the loot table is diluted with trash weapons, and then the perk pool is further diluted with so much moldy garbage my god-roll-odds are astronomical. There are at least 8 special weapons in the table (4 from Vanguard and 4 from Crucible Quartermaster). Even if that's all the legendaries, you also have a decent shot to roll an exotic instead. Assuming there's an even probability for each perk that can roll on the 1kYS nodes, the odds of getting my god-roll would be:

(1/8) to get any 1kYS * (1/4) for Shortgaze * (1/9) for Last Resort * (1/8) for Rifled Barrel * (1/7) for Hidden Hand * 100% = 0.006% chance for every 135 legendary marks I spend

Since there's no "smart loot" on the Cryptarch every engram is an independent event which means the odds never improve no matter how many you buy. So every engram is a 1-in-16,128 chance for my god roll. In fact, the odds are even worse because I'm ignoring the exotic chance since I don't know that probability. Excluding my least coveted perk Last Resort, the odds improve to a (less than) 1-in-1,792 chance. It's understandable they didn't consider the "hardcore" when designing Cryptarch engrams. But this system's failings are symptomatic of the watered down Y2 that affected everyone.

say whatever you want about reforging or whatever the hell it was called back in the day but it was the most democratic this game has ever been.

sure the meta wasn't the best... it was all hand cannons and shot package+range perks snipershotguns but at least we were playing on an even field since PC+1 and Matador were dropping like crazy in PvP and anyone with a good amount of motes of light was basically guaranteed that one good roll...

:)

E92 M3

I think overall, y2 isn't as much of an improvement over y1 as many people make out. There have been some fantastic gains, but also a significant number of losses.

Y1 was an unbalanced mess for sure, but the core game and objectives were so much fun. Questing for a Gjallarhorn, flawless raider, Crota, PoE, getting that perfect roll, there were a lot of things that were a great deal of fun that kept the community coming back. Even at it's biggest drop off between TDB and HOW, it wasn't as quiet as it is now.

Y2 is so much more sterile in comparison. I'm really hoping Y3 brings back some of the fun elements we lost.

The sterility of Y2 has been bugging me for a long time. That said, I think Bungie realizes that people want OP weapons in PVE.

Lnkn52

Can't wait to watch all the microtransactions for sale on tomorrow's stream! The only question is how will Bungie further up the ante on MTs and more deeply ingrain them into the Destiny gameplay and make them even more pervasive than they were before?

Purchase silver to reload your gun.

Number45

Is the DLC in this pervasive? I'm at 335 across all three characters (with stats I'm mostly happy with) and the only silver I've forked out is for cosmetic items.

FyreWulff

Is the DLC in this pervasive? I'm at 335 across all three characters (with stats I'm mostly happy with) and the only silver I've forked out is for cosmetic items.

Silver is only for cosmetics.

The only "DLC" is Dark Below, House of Wolves, and Taken King.

P44

Alright I quit after Taken King because all the guns I loved were kind of weird and shit and pulse meta was worse than HG meta for me.

What's king of the hill in pvp atm?

Number45

Silver is only for cosmetics.

The only "DLC" is Dark Below, House of Wolves, and Taken King.
OK, paid content. The argument is around using that silver to buy treasure boxes, which will give an armour piece that can translate to a high stat roll theoretically allowing someone to get 5/5/1 or 5/5/2 quicker.

At least that's the assumption I'm making when talking about it being pervasive in the game.

FyreWulff

OK, paid content. The argument is around using that silver to buy treasure boxes, which will give an armour piece that can translate to a high stat roll theoretically allowing someone to get 5/5/1 or 5/5/2 quicker.

At least that's the assumption I'm making when talking about it being pervasive in the game.

No, not really, since you need to acquire the proper gear to get it there via normal gameplay.

They're skirting awfully close to the edge of the rink, but you can't get to 5/5/2 faster with MTs. Especially since MT armor does not give marks when dismantled, those only come from gameplay-acquired legendaries, so you can't even infuse purely via MT.

Feorax

Alright I quit after Taken King because all the guns I loved were kind of weird and shit and pulse meta was worse than HG meta for me.

What's king of the hill in pvp atm?

From personal experience, I'm finding I'm getting mowed down pretty quickly by certain auto rifles these days. Scouts are as Scouts always were, HC's are better but still not quite what they used to be, and to be honest, I've barely seen a pulse besides bad juju since the pre-TTK nerf.

Number45

No, not really, since you need to acquire the proper gear to get it there via normal gameplay.

They're skirting awfully close to the edge of the rink, but you can't get to 5/5/2 faster with MTs. Especially since MT armor does not give marks when dismantled, those only come from gameplay-acquired legendaries, so you can't even infuse purely via MT.
I'm not disagreeing, incidentally, I was responding to a post that brought it up as pervasive (like I say, I've made an assumption as to why that is). I have zero issues with the paid content in Destiny.

FyreWulff

What i thought was silly though was including the rep boosters in the MTs. It's the most gameplay-boosty thing even if it doesn't affect your actual character itself, but they hand them out like candy for rankups.. why not just leave them out of the MTs...

Homeboyd

I would like an MT that puts me in the same loot drop tier as trance.

"Walk a day in Trance's shoes" - consumable, lasts 24 hours. 10,000 silver.

Worth it.

E92 M3

I don't mind spending money on MTs - it's no big deal. What's most important is that Bungie are consistently making changes that benefit the players. No more shitty changes like the OG infusion.

I would like an MT that puts me in the same loot drop tier as trance.

"Walk a day in Trance's shoes" - consumable, lasts 24 hours. 10,000 silver.

Worth it.

:thinking:

I swear if we don't get to fight with real ass wolves in this DLC. I guess someone at Bungie accidentally posted this on FB.
z04sR3c.jpg

Deku Tree

Everyone keep in mind Bungie always puts junk like Snow and Wolves in their press images that never end up in the game. Unless the next expansion leaves PS360 behind then NO SNOw IMO.

Probably last year. I have been waiting for that.

Lol it Sure does seem like Bungie took the Eirenne out of the gunsmith sold weapon pool.

I said fight with them....Bitch I want my own wolf pack.

Return of Nymeria?

E92 M3

Everyone keep in mind Bungie always puts junk like Snow and Wolves in their press images that never end up in the game. Unless the next expansion leaves PS360 behind then NO SNOw IMO.

Lol it Sure does seem like Bungie took the Eirenne out of the gunsmith sold weapon pool.

Return of Nymeria?

They probably made it super-rare or more likely it's some glitch lol. In terms of snow, they are pushing that angle way too hard. I will be shocked if there is no snow after everything is said and done.

Also, I expect them to announce moments of triumph for Year 2.

WipedOut

Hey, let a man be hopeful! You know I always want to be optimistic about Destiny.
But seriously though let's be realistic. It's not going to happen. I would just hate to see your dreams get crushed.

Let's be honest though, 2016 year 3 Trance exclusive, no one gets it but Trance Addix. This guy gets stuff nobody else can obtain.

E92 M3

But seriously though let's be realistic. It's not going to happen. I would just hate to see your dreams get crushed.

Let's be honest though, 2016 year 3 Trance exclusive, no one gets it but Trance Addix. This guy gets stuff nobody else can obtain.

Give me the battleaxe and I'll be happy!

So what does everyone want to see in the fall expansion?

I only have 1 thing, armor parts for sale please and thank you

Your boss (me) has over 2000 armor mats.

All I want is a good raid. Don't care about anything else. because let's face it - their A team is working on Destiny 2. Keep your expectations in check.

E92 M3

Your boss (me) has over 2000 armor mats.

All I want is a good raid. Don't care about anything else. because let's face it - their A team is working on Destiny 2. Keep your expectations in check.

Snow is all I need to be excited!

I mean, I get they didn't want one random weapon drop be a requirement for lfg (g-horn, icebreaker) back in the day.... But there has to be a better solution than to make all the weapons boring in pve

Separating (somehow) PVE and PVP is fundamental to giving us a better PVE experience. I want crazy exotics in PVE.

WeTeHa

Battle axe is going to be awesome

So what does everyone want to see in the fall expansion?

I only have 1 thing, armor parts for sale please and thank you

Your dreams are really small :p Just from the top of my head:

- let me stack materials and stuff higher than 200, at least in the vault
- add diablo 3 style rerolling. They can keep the gunsmith stuff, but change the rng on how he sells guns
- weekly/bi-weekly rerolling of vendor gear & weapons
- remove useless shit I can buy from rank up packages (class items from variks?!)
- smart(er) loot
- less useless perks
- rework nightfall modifiers
- add modifiers to daily story missions
- optional matchmaking for nightfalls, story missions
- some kind of punishment for pvp and pve quitters
- don't forget about all the old content, continue reworking&adding old strikes/raids/story missions
- less than 6 months between content drops
- more rotating events like iron banner/srl
- pve events
- lighthouse style pve activity
- separate pve and pvp balancing
- stop nerfing everything
- make good raid weapons
- rework how we obtain exotics. keep stuff like the spindle/NTTE, bring back specific boss drops (like the mythoclast), but also let me get stuff out of engrams (no 3 of coins, just random drops), exotic raid chests and raid boss drops

WipedOut

Your dreams are really small :p Just from the top of my head:

- let me stack materials and stuff higher than 200, at least in the vault
- add diablo 3 style rerolling. They can keep the gunsmith stuff, but change the rng on how he sells guns
- weekly/bi-weekly rerolling of vendor gear & weapons
- remove useless shit I can buy from rank up packages (class items from variks?!)
- smart(er) loot
- less useless perks
- rework nightfall modifiers
- add modifiers to daily story missions
- optional matchmaking for nightfalls, story missions
- some kind of punishment for pvp and pve quitters
- don't forget about all the old content, continue reworking&adding old strikes/raids/story missions
- less than 6 months between content drops
- more rotating events like iron banner/srl
- pve events
- lighthouse style pve activity
- separate pve and pvp balancing
- stop nerfing everything
- make good raid weapons
- rework how we obtain exotics. keep stuff like the spindle/NTTE, bring back specific boss drops (like the mythoclast), but also let me get stuff out of engrams (no 3 of coins, just random drops), exotic raid chests and raid boss drops
I'm being realistic, we won't see these kind of changes until the sequel. That's just too much for a small team to handle I bet so I'm keeping things set in reality

Dave_6

Separating (somehow) PVE and PVP is fundamental to giving us a better PVE experience. I want crazy exotics in PVE.

I don't understand why this isn't happening. I mean is it somehow engine related or memory limitations?

I miss the days of wrecking shit in NFs that had burns.

E92 M3

I don't understand why this isn't happening. I mean is it somehow engine related or memory limitations?

I'm guessing due to the core design decisions behind Destiny. They wanted a unified weapon experience. While that's commendable, in actual practice it dilutes the experience for both sides of the fence.

If they want to keep this mantra going forward, somethings need to be reworked. We can't have stability and ammo refund perks being the highlight of our weapons for the next 7 years.

But thats how nerfs happen.

Majority of nerfs and sudden changes happen because of PVP. Just look at the recent ammo nerf to snipers and LMGs.

FyreWulff

I miss the days of wrecking shit in NFs that had burns.

The official reason that they publically gave recently is they want consistency no matter where you're playing. Your character and their items behave the same no matter where you are.

So, agree or not, that's the reason why PvP and PvE are balanced together for the most part.

WeTeHa

I'm being realistic, we won't see these kind of changes until the sequel. That's just too much for a small team to handle I bet so I'm keeping things set in reality

Yeah, I know :/ I mean, I get that creating & adding content, playtesting & bugfixing and balancing is a lot of work. Coming up with new modifiers and balance them in a way that they're fun and playable for the average guy is hard. But most of the stuff on my list aren't even big things.

They have shown they can reroll vendor gear. If they add the same algorithm to all the vendor gear that they already have in place for some of the gear, I'd be happy.

Adding optional matchmaking can't be that hard. Removing certain items from rank ups should be easy. Same for the stack size of items.

A bigger thing would be the ability to reroll 1 perk on a weapon indefinitely. Easy solution? Add a consumable like etheric light that can be obtained weekly/daily from pvp AND pve activities that is consumed for the reroll and you're good to go. It doesn't break the game like full rerolling but it would be a nice way to get some weapons from "3 marks" to "oh, nice".

Who at bungie comes up with perks like exhumed or guerilla fighter?
Who here has actually ever chosen a perk like demotion?
Who uses alchemists raiment?

Also, reduce the amount of exp necessary to level up armor.

The official reason that they publically gave recently is they want consistency no matter where you're playing. Your character and their items behave the same no matter where you are.

So, agree or not, that's the reason why PvP and PvE are balanced together for the most part.

Yes, the weapons have to FEEL the same in pvp and pve. That means: how it handles. scope time, movement speed while ADS, rate of fire, stability, magazine size,...

Nerfing the pve reserve ammo capacity of snipers and machine guns has literally no influence on the feel of a gun AT ALL. If the plan was to nerf pve snipers, then just say it, and don't give a bullshit reason.

WipedOut

Yeah, I know :/ I mean, I get that creating & adding content, playtesting & bugfixing and balancing is a lot of work. Coming up with new modifiers and balance them in a way that they're fun and playable for the average guy is hard. But most of the stuff on my list aren't even big things.

They have shown they can reroll vendor gear. If they add the same algorithm to all the vendor gear that they already have in place for some of the gear, I'd be happy.

Adding optional matchmaking can't be that hard. Removing certain items from rank ups should be easy. Same for the stack size of items.

A bigger thing would be the ability to reroll 1 perk on a weapon indefinitely. Easy solution? Add a consumable like etheric light that can be obtained weekly/daily from pvp AND pve activities that is consumed for the reroll and you're good to go. It doesn't break the game like full rerolling but it would be a nice way to get some weapons from "3 marks" to "oh, nice".

Who at bungie comes up with perks like exhumed or guerilla fighter?
Who here has actually ever chosen a perk like demotion?
Who uses alchemists raiment?

Also, reduce the amount of exp necessary to level up armor.

Yes, the weapons have to FEEL the same in pvp and pve. That means: how it handles. scope time, movement speed while ADS, rate of fire, stability, magazine size,...

Nerfing the pve reserve ammo capacity of snipers and machine guns has literally no influence on the feel of a gun AT ALL. If the plan was to nerf pve snipers, then just say it, and don't give a bullshit reason.

You up for retro raids today?

Top Bottom