• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

Dez_

I'm really excited to hear more about this new content. I'll keep my expectations in check, but I ready for damn near anything right now. I honestly wouldn't want Bungie to focus this primarily on PvP, but I am really hoping to see what's in store on the pvp side of things. I've been having too much fun playing multiplayer with this game now. I almost want to play Trials, too.

Brb, learning how to drag scope / swipe snipe.

ViciousDS

Banned
Man.....if it's snow I'm going to be so excited.

Still mad that Chicago is still cut from the game. Would love to see bungies vision of Chicago in the world of destiny. Would be so pretty.

Looking at random visa and totally forgot about all the Lego creations. Lego gjallahorn is so fucking beast looking!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

Thinking about coming back to destiny (PS4)

I'm on the fence so I wanted to ask GAF for help

I played a lot during the first year on Xbox 1 because my bro and friends were playing this, that group stopped playing so Im switching to a new account on PS4 since I think it's easier to find people to play with

2nd thing which is what I'm hesitating from mostly, I'm deaf so I won't be able to use mic's so that makes lfg for raids difficult. Not having a consistent group that is willing to play with my handicap is a big obstacle really. With patience, eventually I was sherpa'ing new players through the vault of glass and Crotas raid back then (used Xbox messaging to tell ppl what to do, bleh) so at least I know what I'm doing as long as I understand mechanics

Wanted to ask if I would have any luck playing with gaffers after coming back? Do players still use destiny lfg website?

Thanks and any tips will be a big plus!

Sorry for slow reply but I wanted to mention a couple things. PS4 definitely has a larger playerbase around here and quite a few folks have done the same thing as you by switching over from X1. People still use the LFG website (check the OP for a few popular LFG site links). Try the100.io if you're interested in trying for a more regular group. The game is so dead nowadays that a lot of gaffers have to use those sites to find people. Even so, I fully expect things to pick up a lot when the September expansion drops. So, I'm sure you'll have plenty of gaffers to play with once activity resumes.

As for being deaf, that's not a problem for raiding as you've already demonstrated by your sherpa skills. Frankly, anybody who would make a big deal about it is someone you'd want to avoid anyway. They must be bad at the game and/or jerks if they think it's an issue. Communicating via PSN (or even Gaf) messages plus using in-game emotes is more than sufficient. The only caveat would be blind raiding when the expansion first drops. But once you're able to read up on strategies you'll be better off than the majority of players.

If you want to raid before the new expansion, sign up for one of Hawkian's "newbie raids" even though you're not a newbie. I know he wouldn't have any issues since he's a sherpa-extraordinaire. There aren't many groups here that still raid weekly, but don't hesitate to hop into any LFG posts you see or try to start your own group. Who knows, you might be lucky and get enough responses. My group does 3x HM King's Fall each week but it's right at the weekly reset (5 am EST) which is usually a bad time depending on where you live. If you'd actually be available and want to raid some week send me a PM and I'll work on finding a spot for you.

Anyway, hope that helps and just let me know if you have any other questions!

Hold up. Let my write down this cheat code.

lol :p My shot is hella inconsistent tbh. Practice helps a ton but everyone has a skill ceiling. I'll never be Krafty no matter how much I play.

Major buzz kill now that I used it and realized all the scopes suck. Didn't notice at first that I got the shitty long-view.

I know that feel bro. My only longbow has probably the three worst scopes you can get. The scope is by far the most important part for me.

ocean

Banned
you know what'd be disappointing

if the next expansion was PvP focus

this game needs less of that
PvP is the only source of longevity for a shooter at the end of the day. I just hope they bring enough PvE stuff to get casuals back in the game so matchmaking can be padded with better connections.

The most amazing story mission ever is still only cool the first, maybe second time you play through it. Same with Strikes. PvE just can't stay fun for long because it's always the exact same thing

I keep getting Eyeslunas.

This one rolled with rangefinder and luck in the chamber just like my current one.

Current middle perk is rifled barrel. New drop has smallbore as it's middle.

Which would you choose? Both have sureshot IS sights.

There are a couple points here:

-equip speed + ADS speed: I'm playing Bladedancer with Quickdraw using a sniper with Snapshot. So I can switch from my primary, ready my sniper and zoom in really quickly.

-position your reticle near head height before ADS'ing: after I switch to sniper, I move up and to the left before zooming in. Once you've zoomed it's obviously much harder/slower to make large adjustments. This is an important habit to develop whenever you play. Pay attention to your reticle position relative to level geometry even before encountering enemies. If you're on a flat surface then keep it level in front; approaching an incline means you should adjust it up, etc. Think about where enemies will approach from and put the reticle where you'd expect their heads to show up.

-swipe sniping aka drag scoping: after zooming, I notice his head is slightly to the right. So I swipe right and immediately pull the trigger. The key here is to not wait for the reticle to actually be aligned with the head, otherwise it will be way too slow and the target will move. The reason this works well is Destiny's high AA, and what AA actually does.

-aim assist: AA means reticle slowdown and "stickiness." It does not mean bullet magnetism, i.e. your bullets don't curve to correct for an off-target shot. More AA means the reticle slows down and sticks to a target more. When swiping, this gives you a longer window to pull the trigger and have it still register the kill since the reticle will spend (fractions of a second) longer on target. By contrast, if you aim slowly to deliberately line up your shot, the AA will make it take (very slightly) longer since it starts to slow down near the target.

Ultimately it comes down to practice and muscle memory, like any tactile skill. The positioning and situational awareness is important to give yourself "good shots" but actually hitting your shots is muscle memory.

That helps a lot..thanks! Gives me something solid to work on.

PvP is the only source of longevity for a shooter at the end of the day. I just hope they bring enough PvE stuff to get casuals back in the game so matchmaking can be padded with better connections.

The most amazing story mission ever is still only cool the first, maybe second time you play through it. Same with Strikes. PvE just can't stay fun for long because it's always the exact same thing

Unless they make it like Diablo

8D

Whats with the Light 3 chroma gear? why are some dudes with Taken shaders, got a fancy 320 sword by doing a strike.....huh...what did I miss

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Why couldn't it be on Friday?...I don't work Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Bungie plz 😭😭
I'm going to take an hour long "break" at 10. I wish I was like some of these fancy gaffers with offices and cubicles. I sit at a front desk area with customers. I'm fucked.

what a coincidence

I don't work tuesday, wednesday, or thursday

I'll watch the stream twice for you math
*Blocked*
I'm going to take an hour long "break" at 10. I wish I was like some of these fancy gaffers with offices and cubicles. I sit at a front desk area with customers. I'm fucked.
I know right?

Oh well, just gotta make sure my phone is charged and hide it where the boss can't see it. 😜

MechDX

Me and friend ran strikes the other night. We were longing for Septiks Prime again....

Why not upgrade some older strikes for some variety?

Whats with the Light 3 chroma gear? why are some dudes with Taken shaders, got a fancy 320 sword by doing a strike.....huh...what did I miss

Light 3 gear comes from the Sterling packages which were added in the April update. You can get up to 3 for free each week: one just for logging in, one for doing a match of Weekly Crucible playlist, and one for completing a Lv41 Prison of Elders. You can also buy as many as you want with microtransactions for $2 a pop.

The boxes drop gear from two different armor sets: Spektar armor and also a Taken armor set. So the players that look like Taken are actually wearing this armor, it's not a shader. If you get all 5 of the Taken pieces for a given class then you unlock the Taken-shiver emote for free. Remember that they also added 1:1 infusion so you can take the Light 3 gear and immediately infuse up to the highest armor piece that you have (e.g. take a 330 chest, infuse into LL 3 Taken chest, now the Taken piece is LL 330).

The 320 sword is just a Taken-looking legendary sword. It has basically the same abilities as any of the other legendary swords from Taken King or Refer-a-Friend quests. Basically you just missed the April update, which is when all this stuff was introduced.

I keep getting Eyeslunas.

This one rolled with rangefinder and luck in the chamber just like my current one.

Current middle perk is rifled barrel. New drop has smallbore as it's middle.

Which would you choose? Both have sureshot IS sights.

Sureshot + Rangefinder + Rifled Barrel + Luck in the Chamber is literally the Eyasluna god-roll. That's as good as it gets. You lucky bastard.

Meanwhile I wasted 810 legendary marks at the Cryptarch Lottery today, trying and failing for a 1kYS roll better than the quest one. This game man..... this game.

Feorax

The longer I've been playing this game, the more and more baffling Bungie's choices on matchmaking have become.

Outside of the raid activities at 300 light and above, there is nothing in this game that now shouldn't have matchmaking. It makes the times when the community is at it's least active (which is a lot thanks to Bungie's release schedule) very frustrating.

Drizz how did you get 810 legendary marks?

Many, many mistakes were made.

I had 200, plus another 100 in old Trials bounties. The other 510 came from using Motes to level gear and then dismantling it for 5 marks a pop. That's 102 gear pieces leveled and deleted (my vault desperately needed cleaning). All for six rolls of the Cryptarch's Special Engram Lottery which netted me two Panta Rheis, one Long Far Gone, one Tao Hua Yuan, one Jabberhakke... and a LL300 Invective.

I get why they removed Gunsmith re-rolling, but there's a huge gap between that and this. Engrams cost waaaay too many marks, the loot table is diluted with trash weapons, and then the perk pool is further diluted with so much moldy garbage my god-roll-odds are astronomical. There are at least 8 special weapons in the table (4 from Vanguard and 4 from Crucible Quartermaster). Even if that's all the legendaries, you also have a decent shot to roll an exotic instead. Assuming there's an even probability for each perk that can roll on the 1kYS nodes, the odds of getting my god-roll would be:

(1/8) to get any 1kYS * (1/4) for Shortgaze * (1/9) for Last Resort * (1/8) for Rifled Barrel * (1/7) for Hidden Hand * 100% = 0.006% chance for every 135 legendary marks I spend

Since there's no "smart loot" on the Cryptarch every engram is an independent event which means the odds never improve no matter how many you buy. So every engram is a 1-in-16,128 chance for my god roll. In fact, the odds are even worse because I'm ignoring the exotic chance since I don't know that probability. Excluding my least coveted perk Last Resort, the odds improve to a (less than) 1-in-1,792 chance. It's understandable they didn't consider the "hardcore" when designing Cryptarch engrams. But this system's failings are symptomatic of the watered down Y2 that affected everyone.

Feorax

^this system went well with the re-rolling. They took out re-rolling but didn't change this system, that's why it's such a depressing and grindy experience in y2.

wtzgU.gif

I think overall, y2 isn't as much of an improvement over y1 as many people make out. There have been some fantastic gains, but also a significant number of losses.

Y1 was an unbalanced mess for sure, but the core game and objectives were so much fun. Questing for a Gjallarhorn, flawless raider, Crota, PoE, getting that perfect roll, there were a lot of things that were a great deal of fun that kept the community coming back. Even at it's biggest drop off between TDB and HOW, it wasn't as quiet as it is now.

Y2 is so much more sterile in comparison. I'm really hoping Y3 brings back some of the fun elements we lost.

aarcane

Major buzz kill now that I used it and realized all the scopes suck. Didn't notice at first that I got the shitty long-view.

They really need to change the name of the crappy Longview. You get what looks like a decent roll, only to see SLR20 spoil it. I had what would have been a great 1KYS for 3v3: Last Resort, Snapshot, Hidden Hand, only to have bloody Wrongview ruin everything. I tried using Tacsys on that one for a while before going back to the quest Stare. I'm still looking for that god roll.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Overwatch has absolved me of Destiny
Don't even want to boot it up

Oh wells hopefully the new expansion brings something different to the fold

Holy shit just found out that selling a used copy of the Taken king is worthless due to you only getting one code for it and cant give the next owner the code...wtf is this.

Many, many mistakes were made.

I had 200, plus another 100 in old Trials bounties. The other 510 came from using Motes to level gear and then dismantling it for 5 marks a pop. That's 102 gear pieces leveled and deleted (my vault desperately needed cleaning). All for six rolls of the Cryptarch's Special Engram Lottery which netted me two Panta Rheis, one Long Far Gone, one Tao Hua Yuan, one Jabberhakke... and a LL300 Invective.

I get why they removed Gunsmith re-rolling, but there's a huge gap between that and this. Engrams cost waaaay too many marks, the loot table is diluted with trash weapons, and then the perk pool is further diluted with so much moldy garbage my god-roll-odds are astronomical. There are at least 8 special weapons in the table (4 from Vanguard and 4 from Crucible Quartermaster). Even if that's all the legendaries, you also have a decent shot to roll an exotic instead. Assuming there's an even probability for each perk that can roll on the 1kYS nodes, the odds of getting my god-roll would be:

(1/8) to get any 1kYS * (1/4) for Shortgaze * (1/9) for Last Resort * (1/8) for Rifled Barrel * (1/7) for Hidden Hand * 100% = 0.006% chance for every 135 legendary marks I spend

Since there's no "smart loot" on the Cryptarch every engram is an independent event which means the odds never improve no matter how many you buy. So every engram is a 1-in-16,128 chance for my god roll. In fact, the odds are even worse because I'm ignoring the exotic chance since I don't know that probability. Excluding my least coveted perk Last Resort, the odds improve to a (less than) 1-in-1,792 chance. It's understandable they didn't consider the "hardcore" when designing Cryptarch engrams. But this system's failings are symptomatic of the watered down Y2 that affected everyone.

Great post, but unfortunately the economy was setup and priced for when TTK came out. I.e. they didn't want people quickly just buying all legendary gear on day 1 as they spammed various ways of collecting marks (which all had a daily and weekly cap anyway).

I just did some more maths on your stats. For your favourite role you need 115 engrams to get a 50 50 chance of getting it...that equates to just over 15,000 marks...you can get 10 marks for a win I n weekly crucible, which itself probably take about 10 minutes....so you're looking at grinding the weekly crucible for 15,000 minutes, or around 258 hours...for a fifty fifty chance... (ignoring drops during play and other sources of marks)

Nothing against anyone personally but these pretty much drive by "lol destiny, overwatch4evah" posts are getting pretty annoying now.

On topic: Pretty awesome grabbing the "complete 5 shaxx bounties" bounty and it automatically going to 4/5 completed. Must have been from the last IB.

adin75

They really need to change the name of the crappy Longview. You get what looks like a decent roll, only to see SLR20 spoil it. I had what would have been a great 1KYS for 3v3: Last Resort, Snapshot, Hidden Hand, only to have bloody Wrongview ruin everything. I tried using Tacsys on that one for a while before going back to the quest Stare. I'm still looking for that god roll.

I had a Longbow drop the other day with those perks and shotgaze/ambush scopes, I am told it is a good roll but as someone who very rarely uses a sniper rifle in pvp, it'll probably never see much use.

Number45

Longview is the only 1KyS scope that I like, although I'm all PvE and I've been using it almost exclusively since I use the old vendor roll across all three characters.

aarcane

I had a Longbow drop the other day with those perks and shotgaze/ambush scopes, I am told it is a good roll but as someone who very rarely uses a sniper rifle in pvp, it'll probably never see much use.

Very nice, I'm jealous. At least you've got one to use if you ever want to change things up and go with a sniper. It's probably better to have a well-rolled weapon and not need it than the other way around.

I just did some more maths on your stats. For your favourite role you need 115 engrams to get a 50 50 chance of getting it...that equates to just over 15,000 marks...you can get 10 marks for a win I n weekly crucible, which itself probably take about 10 minutes....so you're looking at grinding the weekly crucible for 15,000 minutes, or around 258 hours...for a fifty fifty chance... (ignoring drops during play and other sources of marks)

lol that's capped to 3 or maybe 4 wins, after that you don't get any more marks for winning.

Deku Tree

Can't wait to watch all the microtransactions for sale on tomorrow's stream! The only question is how will Bungie further up the ante on MTs and more deeply ingrain them into the Destiny gameplay and make them even more pervasive than they were before?

WeTeHa

Arminius-D with counterbalance+braced frame (roll 2).

The first perk is last resort, but there aren't any "great" alternatives, so this is pretty much as good as it gets.

Feorax

Can't wait to watch all the microtransactions for sale on tomorrow's stream! The only question is how will Bungie further up the ante on MTs and more deeply ingrain them into the Destiny gameplay and make them even more pervasive than they were before?

To be honest, they haven't really been worth investing in so far from my point of view. I bought one emote around the start of TTK, and that's been pretty much it. I certainly wouldn't pay any money for more of these shitty boxes we keep getting every week.

Top Bottom