• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

SnakeEyes

Banned
Really thinking there won't be a physical release for ROI. It will definitely bring costs down if they forego one.
But how can Activision milk fans for all they're worth, without releasing a CE for a DLC pack with meaningless junk in the box?!
I'd still buy it. Day 01 preorder.

So, after reading the official RoI site, I feel like that Death Zamboni from the trailer is at the start of the raid. Maybe a boss near the beginning to access the raid-proper. Because that area is clearly outside on top of the wall, but the raid description talks about plumbing the depths then returning to the surface after emerging victorious:

Hidden in the Cosmodrome lies the true source of the SIVA outbreak, guarded by the most zealous and powerful Fallen Devil Splicers. Six Guardians will plumb the depths to stop the threat at its source. Should they emerge victorious, they will return to the surface wielding powerful new weapons and armor forged from SIVA itself.

Besides I'm sure they wouldn't spoil any late raid content. Food for thought anyway....

Huh. Weird. A ghost with invisible wings.

I got that reference.

So, one thing I think is good-Plaguelands seems to be all new geometry. As in, if Dreadnought existed before in concept/vertical slice way back when, then Plaguelands seems to be completely new(There is concept of Europa which is an ice city, but thats not Russia).

So that part is exciting.

I hope the Endgame PvE is better. That's all I want.

So, after reading the official RoI site, I feel like that Death Zamboni from the trailer is at the start of the raid. Maybe a boss near the beginning to access the raid-proper. Because that area is clearly outside on top of the wall, but the raid description talks about plumbing the depths then returning to the surface after emerging victorious:

Besides I'm sure they wouldn't spoil any late raid content. Food for thought anyway....

I think that's just figurative speech. Not much to be taken out of that. The raid will probably start on the wall with the death zamboni guarding the entrance proper.

Toki767

It doesn't seem like a boss at all. More like something you just run away from.

What if you have to run away from it while platforming?

E92 M3

That's what I thought as well. Probably just an appetizer to the raid actual.

FyreWulff

There must be a skeleton crew working on this DLC if there's only 1 new strike with 12 months in between DLCs.

Existing strikes are also getting reworked (yeah, I know it's old content, but rebuilding legacy strikes is a lot of work since the entire thing needs to be tested back to front). I imagine that's not going to be the only strike for RoI 's entire release.

Also, a new strike came out with the April update.

https://www.destinythegame.com/rise-of-iron/wheretobuy

No stores at all. Only links to PSN and XBL.

Guess no retail copy.

Or they're still trying to figure out if they can cram all of Destiny Year 1 + TTK + ROI into a disc without having everything be a download lol

I think retail announcement came later for TTK came later - or it's pending Sony touting exclusives at E3. They also get a bigger cut off digital sales.

chur

Yeah I got that feeling too. Would be cool to fight a mini boss right at the start to gain entry.

SpecX

Looks like it strandels in between

That story is the main story. It's got to last them 10 years really. These big side stories are the best you will get to D2 i'd expect. The world really needed some fleshing out too tbf

True, but we're heading into Y3 and I don't recall any new info on the Traveler or Speaker since Vanilla. I'm not looking for major reveals, but we should be learning about why the Fallen are after the Traveler as we face them in HoW and the upcoming RoI and I was hoping Oryx would have shed some light on it as well. We supposedly helped it with the defeat at the Black Garden, so I expect something at this point to start revealing more about it.

I'm sure I'll buy RoI day one, but I'm not hyped yet. Once I see some more, hopefully that will change.

I think the best thing out of this info is that it's pretty likely that Destiny 2 will be on current gen consoles only. Destiny 2 is definitely something I'm more interested in but having RoI to tide us over until then is good. And I'm also happy that Destiny 2 is marked for 2017. I want bungie to have all the time they need to craft the best experience they can for us.

Yeah, maybe not a boss but I thought that would be a cool change of pace. To throw something at you early instead of the usual long slow buildup. I mean it took hours to reach the first boss on VoG and KF release days, and CE only had one boss anyway. Who knows, it's all speculation of course.

It's probably a safe assumption that it's early in the raid. For TDB teasers, they showed the initial drop and some Abyss stuff like going across the bridge into the light. King's Fall I remember them showing some snippets from Totems but they also showed Golgoroth which throws a wrench in my assumptions, haha.

Yeah, maybe not a boss but I thought that would be a cool change of pace. To throw something at you early instead of the usual long slow buildup. I mean it took hours to reach the first boss on VoG and KF release days, and CE only had one boss anyway. Who knows, it's all speculation of course.

It's probably a safe assumption that it's early in the raid. For TDB teasers, they showed the initial drop and some Abyss stuff like going across the bridge into the light. King's Fall I remember them showing some snippets from Totems but they also showed Golgoroth which throws a wrench in my assumptions, haha.

what if it's a 10 minute chase scene where you're dodging missiles and shit running across the wall

if you die you have to start over

I am guessing we will see more about ROI at E3?

this reveal felt so rushed and basically they could just have showed the trailer and been done with it. Nothing really new was disclosed from the talk they had.

SpecX

So what's the consensus on Rise of Iron in here? Probably going to come back for it after my second hiatus.

Buy it, enjoy it, leave happy till D2 or the next release.

this reveal felt so rushed and basically they could just have showed the trailer and been done with it. Nothing really new was disclosed from the talk they had.

Deej hinted at being at E3 and probably leaking more about the release, so expect more to be discussed next week.

It's probably a test to see how much views they get. That way next year, they won't be in a rush to reveal Destiny 2 for E3.

Maybe, that's my theory.

Xeroblade

They are going to have a special edition right? or do you think thats all we are getting? I should probably wait to pre order it.

True, but we're heading into Y3 and I don't recall any new info on the Traveler or Speaker since Vanilla. I'm not looking for major reveals, but we should be learning about why the Fallen are after the Traveler as we face them in HoW and the upcoming RoI and I was hoping Oryx would have shed some light on it as well. We supposedly helped it with the defeat at the Black Garden, so I expect something at this point to start revealing more about it.

Parts have been mentioned in the grimoire in all the expansions and dlc I think

Odds are that everything is designed in such a way that Ghorn will not be very necessary. Like it would have no use against the warpriest, oryx, or golgoroth even if they allowed you to use it right now.

Still probably good for clearing waves of enemies or a shade of oryx.

FyreWulff

Cutoff for being able to play the same exact character on both generations is August.

platforms_infographic.jpg

I just got an official email from Bungie about RoI and there's a button to "Reserve Your Copy" which just takes me to the regular reservation page on destinythegame.com, with just the digital options.

SpecX

They are going to have a special edition right? or do you think thats all we are getting? I should probably wait to pre order it.

I don't imagine they will since it's not as big of a release as TTK was and I don't remember them having special editions for TDB or HoW, but you never know with this team.

Deku Tree

The question is how much planetary mats will you be willing to farm in order to collect the rare materials needed to "forge" your y3 horn?

Deku Tree

I wonder if they will have something like a multiplayer only expansion for PS360 owners this fall. I believe Activision did that recently with call of duty.

FyreWulff

I wonder if they will have something like a multiplayer only expansion for PS360 owners this fall. I believe Activision did that recently with call of duty.

I think at most they'll either just put it into sustain mode and it repeats Festival/etc into eternity or they get random content here and there as hand me downs from next gen, like maps.

For armor and guns they're definitely done. That's way too much work. I could see a raw LL increase so you aren't too far behind when you decide to jump to next gen

edit: also it'd make sense for 360 at least to get the Echo Chamber strike.

I think at most they'll either just put it into sustain mode and it repeats Festival/etc into eternity or they get random content here and there as hand me downs from next gen, like maps.

For armor and guns they're definitely done. That's way too much work. I could see a raw LL increase so you aren't too far behind when you decide to jump to next gen

edit: also it'd make sense for 360 at least to get the Echo Chamber strike.

Yeah.

I mean, I don't really mind them dropping last gen support. Those consoles are 10 years old at this point. And it makes me excited for the future of Destiny. That was one of my biggest wants for the future stuff

My issue with the cut off between Current gen and last gen is the fact that Bungie is already struggling with maintaining a single user space. When you split those up, who is going to look after each ecosystem? Will they just drop all support for x360 and ps3? Or will they provide incentives on those platforms that are missing out?

Bungie needs to answer that question so people can either prepare to purchase new consoles, or get ready to stop playing new content in Destiny.

FyreWulff

My issue with the cut off between Current gen and last gen is the fact that Bungie is already struggling with maintaining a single user space. When you split those up, who is going to look after each ecosystem? Will they just drop all support for x360 and ps3? Or will they provide incentives on those platforms that are missing out?

Bungie needs to answer that question so people can either prepare to purchase new consoles, or get ready to stop playing new content in Destiny.

Last gen content is over. Historically, Bungie has supported their legacy releases as long as they can. They even took over support for Halo 1 PC from Microsoft a couple of years ago and patched it to no longer require Gamespy. It's well known that they would still be supporting Halo stats if they still could, and they didn't want Halo 2's online shut down either.

It's safe to say that, barring MS or Sony shutting off the console sign ins themselves, you'll be able to play Taken King era Destiny on last gen 5-10 years from now.

Xeroblade

All the people worried about the 1 new strike, strikes are sort of worthless to anyone over 300 when nothing drops above that. They need to give better drops with them.

Homeboyd

All the people worried about the 1 new strike, strikes are sort of worthless to anyone over 300 when nothing drops above that. They need to give better drops with them.
Strike specific gear drops up to 335 (especially from NFs). Have lots of strike gear at 334/335 atm.

Top Bottom