• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

ocean

Banned
I care because it affects us all. But I'm not trying to make this into a crusade so I'm sorry if I offended you.

All I'm saying is that we all know Activision will be monitoring pre order numbers. If you dislike preorder bonuses and think they have no place in the industry, don't feed the monster. And the real crux of the argument is why buy now as oppossed to waiting until one week before launch?

This is my thought as well, I just don't understand the other mindset.

Idk. I think if the numbers were there, companies would change their tune. They are going to do what gets them the most money. Just my 2 cents. Everyone can do as they please.
In case you're actually curious why people pre order digitally despite there being zero incentive, I will try and explain.

Most people don't treat their purchases as part of an activist agenda. You buy something because you want it and agree to the selling price - that's it. When you buy a pair of jeans, you're not signaling moral complicity with the enslavers of child workers halfway around the world or whatever - you're just buying a pair of jeans you saw and liked.

Of course purchases are, whether you like it or not, the only true test of preference. Companies don't give a shit what you post on Reddit or social media; they follow what people buy, not what they write. So yes, in buying those jeans you're in a way contributing to child labor - because all a company sees is you either don't care at all, or don't care enough to alter your buying decision. And enough people signaling their indifference means the company is just delivering value to its customers without crossing an imaginary red line or whatever.

Truth is, companies can get away with pretty much anything as long as the product they want is attractive at the price they offer it. It's very rare for a business to flop over moral qualms surrounding its business model - people just don't care enough. And it's a Catch-22 of sorts in that, at some deep level many people realize the power for change is in their hands. But they also realize it's completely futile to use your purchasing as a kind of moral referendum when everybody else is just using purchases to satisfy their wants. You'd be voting in an election with 0.01% turnout whose results nobody would care about.

So basically consumers don't "vote with their wallet" because they (rightly) assume that others won't do it so why bother. Which is perversely cyclical you know? I won't do it cause you won't, you won't because I won't, and the result is higher corporate profits without necessarily meaning higher utility for the aggregate purchasing base (if they have any sort of measurable desire for businesses to be friendlier, that is).

So anyways yeah, if by refraining from buying today you think you're telling Activision "you won't trick me into giving you an interest-free cash advance by offering a Gjally skin", you're half-right. Half-right because when you're alone, or something statistically akin to being alone, in doing so then this 1) won't be heard at all and 2) wouldn't matter anyways if such a small group does it.

I, for one, don't see the issue with pre order bonuses. Lots of people think it's some plague on the industry or whatever - I don't see what the problem is. But that's another topic. Anyways I just wanted to let you know what motivates me to pre order in advance. I've explained why others don't bother signaling but that doesn't reveal any incentive to actually do it. It's just giving money to someone for them to hold for months without getting anything back. You could, as you say, "pre-order" 5 minutes before launch and still get the same bonuses.

The answer lies hidden in interest rates. One of the basic assumptions we make about people and market is that, overall, unless you're insane or perhaps in the middle of a divorce you'd rather have money now than money later. If I offered you a million dollars today or a million dollars a year from now, you'd take the money today. But what if it were a million today or 2 million next year? If you're smart you'll probably wait a year.

What's the cutoff? What's the number required to make you say "alright, I'll wait - it'll be worth it". It's reflected, in aggregate, in the interest rate (which naturally varies depending on how risky the deal is - the more certain you are you'll be paid, the less of a premium you'll require for waiting).

You might be asking what the fuck I'm smoking but bear with me. Let's say I want Persona 5 so bad that I pre-order, digitally, 1 year in advance. That'll cost me.... call it 30 cents in lost interest. What do I get? A theme I may or may not like, an email confirming my order, and a little countdown on my dashboard telling me when it'll be available.

Now you might be wondering what kind of satisfaction you could possibly draw from a confirmation email and a countdown screen. Surely not much, we'd both agree. But is it zero? Must it be completely worthless to everyone? I don't see why.

I actually like the little countdown screen. Not a lot, and I wouldn't pay too much to see it. But 30 cents' worth of lost interest over a year? Sure. I'll admit I value a confirmation email and a countdown screen at least enough (maybe more) to pay 30 cents for it.

So there. The real reason people would pre order this expansion 3 months before it comes out? Because they'll get a theme an email and a countdown....and they will happily pay 10 cents of interest for it.

It's all in the numbers.

Preorder bonuses suck

Preordering a game without knowing any details of what it provides, also sucks

Preordering a game without knowing any details of it 3 months in advance because of a preorder bonus sucks the most.

Simple as that.

Mindlog

Finished up the weekly PvP bounties for next week. While doing so I was sniped by snipers that didn't react at all to my high impact scout hitting their dome so I decided to snipe for the first time in ages.

I get hit with two close-mid range pulse rifle barrages and nothing. Sniping is stupid.
Slowed down to emphasize screen shake.
ySBLML3.gif

Full speed.

Back to hockey.

Preorder bonuses suck

Preordering a game without knowing any details of it 3 months in advance because of a preorder bonus sucks the most.

Simple as that.

Simple as that for you maybe but ocean's post is a way more nuanced and interesting view of this.

Preorder bonuses suck

Simple as that.

Good thing we have some details of the game, making your point 2 irrelevant. I don't care about the preorder bonus. I care about adding content to the game and playing that content.

So I'd buy it anyways, because I love the game and I am quite anxious for some new content. I am a Destiny fan, and anything that expands and builds on this game that I love, I want. Even the 'worst' of the recently released expansions was fun.

Not enough fun in this life.

Simple as that for you maybe but ocean's post is a way more nuanced and interesting view of this.

It's a good rule of thumb for any game. The game is still going to be there after it's out, and pre order bonuses are just incentives to buy something that you're not sure about. See Watch Dogs and like, the billion preorder bonuses across a thousand different stores.

Preorder bonuses aren't there for the player, they're to get you to buy a game(in this case, expansion). The caveat here is that you all know Destiny, so thats a positive for preordering, but personally I haven't preordered yet. Because buying something before it's out is ehhhh

Sterling treasure bugged? Gave me a class item which is a possible aka bonus drop, but did not give me any of the guaranteed armor drops.

I've never gotten a class item and additional armour piece out of the boxes, I don't think. Class item is armour after all.

You sure that rule is right?

Namikaze1

OT42 Does it come in black?

Class item isn't a bonus drop. It's a guaranteed armor drop. Bonus drops are the boosters, ships, and sparrow. I've gotten a class item 5 times now with no other armor each of those times. Had the sparrow and one of the ships drop alongside two of the class items.

I've never gotten a class item and additional armour piece out of the boxes, I don't think. Class item is armour after all.

You sure that rule is right?

Yup.

OT42 Does it come in black?

Class item isn't a bonus drop. It's a guaranteed armor drop. Bonus drops are the boosters, ships, and sparrow. I've gotten a class item 5 times now with no other armor each of those times. Had the sparrow and one of the ships drop alongside two of the class items.

Says otherwise in the description.

Class items are marked under the possible drop category. I've gotten class item bonus with armor before.

Namikaze1

Then Bungie owes me 5 pieces of armor. Only got boosters, stupid chroma, and the aforementioned ship and sparrow.

Edit: I've been searching every where but anyone got a good screencap of Felwinter's Peak? Like a high-res screencap? Thanks in advance.

Ryck

Hmmm the Destiny app says my Eyasluna has a 12 round mag and it only has 10.

Was there an update or something today?

Ryck

Do ya'll think its worth ssving legendary and exotic engrams or am I just being naive?
Maybe, for TTK they reset everything and introduced a new light level system.

Here the wording is "light level increase" which looks to build on the y2 light level not reset it.

Maybe, for TTK they reset everything and introduced a new light level system.

Here the wording is "light level increase" which looks to build on the y2 light level not reset it.

Mhm. didn't they mention it was a significant increase too? I'm guessing 420 will be the next max..

I will be holding onto exotic engrams. Don't need anything else right now and have more then enough infusion fuel, no harm in saving them.

Currently got 12 in the vautl, 6 which are heavy weapons : /

ocean

Banned
I will be holding onto exotic engrams. Don't need anything else right now and have more then enough infusion fuel, no harm in saving them.

Currently got 12 in the vautl, 6 which are heavy weapons : /
There's 0 precedent for this strat working (it didn't with TDB, HoW or TTK) but I agree there's no harm in trying.

If you want a more reliable vehicle for quick progression: edge your faction reputation, and hoard as many Motes/Coins as you can. Build a stash for the update.

There's 0 precedent for this strat working (it didn't with TDB, HoW or TTK) but I agree there's no harm in trying.

If you want a more reliable vehicle for quick progression: edge your faction reputation, and hoard as many Motes/Coins as you can. Build a stash for the update.

That's all i've been doing for the past month or so and will continue to do. Mostly via PvP. Motes, coins, armor parts. Weapon parts and synths via glimmer. Even planetary materials are coming along nicely via variks packages and marks.

It's oddly satisfying.

There's 0 precedent for this strat working (it didn't with TDB, HoW or TTK) but I agree there's no harm in trying. .

April update gave a precedent for engrams carrying over with a LL increase only. Remember that character level increased for all preceding expansions (30->32->34->40) when engrams didn't carry over. Based on what they've said so far, it sounds like RoI is a pure LL increase with no change to character level, in which case I wouldn't rule out engram carry over.

Of course the big question is what Quality of Life changes we should expect, because any major adjustments could shake things up. So far they haven't made nearly as big a deal about the Y2 to Y3 transition as they did for Y1 to Y2, but it's way too early to know anything definitively.

#420PraiseIt

My headcanon is that the Fallen have found Reefer and they want to protect it, and it makes them into zombie like enemies. And that tower they showed in the stream that Fallen built in the snow, that's a giant Bong that harvests the MJ from the earth

Ryck

Mhm. didn't they mention it was a significant increase too? I'm guessing 420 will be the next max..
Which was the exact wording they used for the April update. Even if it's a big increase they wouldn't reset the year two weapons and gear because we would be building from there not starting all over.

360 or 365 is probably a safe bet. If we knew balance plans and if gear will carry over it would be easier to guess. If they want to leave stuff behind then the increase will be more significant, but I don't think that will be the case.

I'ma stick to 420

The new main base will be the Reef

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿

Top Bottom