• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

Then LOL COZ BUNGIE ¯_(ツ)_/¯

zozdZlP.png

Wish they would do something like division where we can either fly to planets or fast travel (like how it currently is).

As much as I dislike being sent to the same place 3 times in a row as part of the MAIN story, I still can't stop thinking about this game ;_;

I think it's the armor design, the quest to look cooler is on

E92 M3

Hi DestinyGAF! I'm new around here! I used to play a bunch of Destiny and stopped right before House of Wolves came out. Lately with the Rise of Iron stuff sounding cool and being on summer break, I've decided I might buy the Taken King and finally get back into Destiny. While most of the game can be soloable and has matchmaking, I know some of the tougher versions of PoE and King's Fall doesn't have that.

Is there an active Destiny PS4 group that does raids and wouldn't mind, at least in the beginning, helping guide and sherpa me if I do start playing?

Also: how has loot drops change? I remember around the time Crota's End came out, they tried to make loot drops be better. But while I've been following the game since, I'm not sure if any significant change has been made on that. Also with the infusion stuff, I understand I can infuse old raid gear with new stuff to boost it's power up? So like my Fatebringer, I can boost it up?

Really considering jumping back in Destiny. Some of the best mechanics in the business and I only really stopped because I had to focus on editing a documentary. Just never got back into it after.

Welcome aboard! A bunch of us still play, even though it's a bit slower. What is your PSN?

As much as I dislike being sent to the same place 3 times in a row as part of the MAIN story, I still can't stop thinking about this game ;_;

I think it's the armor design, the quest to look cooler is on

Yeah, the game is a ton of fun. What is your level now?

Hedera

Hunters only became fun to me after TTK because of Nightstalker. What a pain it was to play PVE (which is what I mainly do) with the other 2 subclasses...

sajj316

Hunters only became fun to me after TTK because of Nightstalker. What a pain it was to play PVE (which is what I mainly do) with the other 2 subclasses...

Indeed .. Nightstalkers have critical orb creating roles in PvE. The triple shot in PvP is damn annoying if you know how to NOT miss. I can't tell you the number of times I missed shots to the Warpriest and Daughters last night during the raid.

Hedera

Indeed .. Nightstalkers have critical orb creating roles in PvE. The triple shot in PvP is damn annoying if you know how to NOT miss. I can't tell you the number of times I missed shots to the Warpriest and Daughters last night during the raid.
I know the feeling!

sajj316

I know the feeling!

Dude .. Literally had one or two shots with a tether left on Warpriest and I managed to shoot that piece of rock in front of him that is left after the Oculus burns the center pillar. I mean seriously .. we all died after that :p

When does the expansion 1/2 and ttk content start? Around what level?

I think I'm doing dark below content now which is odd, I have 3 "main quests" active.

Hedera

Dude .. Literally had one or two shots with a tether left on Warpriest and I managed to shoot that piece of rock in front of him that is left after the Oculus burns the center pillar. I mean seriously .. we all died after that :p
We should all start saving our tether fails and make a montage. #HowNotToHunter

EloquentM

aka Mannny

I think I'm doing dark below content now which is odd, I have 3 "main quests" active.
The mixed in a bit of TDB and HoW early in the story for good measure to help the original gram from being what it was. TTK stuff doesn't start until way later I think

Umm that's a good question. Honestly I have no idea how the year 1 stuff works nowadays since all that content was re-jiggered into the Quests when TTK launched. So some Dark Below stuff definitely might show up earlier. As for TTK, I'm guessing it will start around Lv34 which was the level cap for year 1. Of course your character's level will depend on how many bounties you do, if you play any Crucible etc.

WeTeHa

Umm that's a good question. Honestly I have no idea how the year 1 stuff works nowadays since all that content was re-jiggered into the Quests when TTK launched. So some Dark Below stuff definitely might show up earlier. As for TTK, I'm guessing it will start around Lv34 which was the level cap for year 1. Of course your character's level will depend on how many bounties you do, if you play any Crucible etc.

I think some of the dark below missions start at level 12 or something. Don't know exactly, but afaik it's quite low.

I just did the missions in the order given by the level requirement of the missions and I was pretty much constantly overleveled. None of the missions are actually difficult apart from the very last taken king mission on phobos (fear's embrace).

Taken King starts at 25.

desgrafx

Neo Member
Thank you Rusty Raiders for running Kings Fall. We didn't finish Oryx, I still can't platform jump if my life depended on it, and Dthomp hates the Wii U. Loved the company. Happy to run it anytime with you all now that some of the rust has worn off.

Thanks for the run fellas!

Mindlog

RJPzAVc.jpg

Bullet Hose AR with Crowd Control + Gunslinger = PvE annihilator.

I've actually had fun revisiting all the underutilized PvE classes. Energy Drain Voidwalker always has grenades popping off and Striker Titan doesn't suck as much as I used to believe it did.

Is the later upgrade for grenades/passive etc. Usually better than the former ones or is it a wash?

Assuming you're talking about the subclass skill trees, it all depends on the subclass and the situation you're playing. The later upgrades aren't meant to be automatically better by any means. Some upgrades are clearly best, sometimes it depends on PvE vs. PvP, sometimes it's just personal preference etc.

Feel free to ask if you want to know advice about specific skill trees.

GutZ31

Is the later upgrade for grenades/passive etc. Usually better than the former ones or is it a wash?
Depends on what your subclass is, and your play style.
If you plan on sticking your neck out for long periods of time, and want to be able to survive a little longer, armor and health regeneration are useful. If you are quick on your toes, and want to get in, and out, agility is your go to.

Grenades can be wildly ineffective, to super effective depending on the situation, and enemy/s you are against.
You will probably come to set your character up in a way you like it, and almost never change it depending on if all you do is PvE.
Once you start doing higher difficulty stuff, or PvP, you may run into a need to change things up.

hoggert

Alrighty, thanks all. Also I shouldn't bother spending glimmer on upgrades now right? I'm only level 13 so I keep getting new loot.

If it's something you like and imagine using for a while, no reason not to. Glimmer caps at 25k and isn't hard to amass doing daily activities once you hit max level.

Alrighty, thanks all. Also I shouldn't bother spending glimmer on upgrades now right? I'm only level 13 so I keep getting new loot.

Nah, I wouldn't worry about upgrading any gear until you hit the Lv 40 cap. I mean it's not a big deal if there's something you really like, but keep in mind that you're constantly going to get new stuff as you go and your current gear will very rapidly be outdated.

If you get a particularly nice thing then maybe...but generally no.

Are you getting any planetary materials yet? Worth picking them up if you go last them during story missions etc. Once you have access to legendary marks you can buy them but youll want to spend them on gear first...

RJPzAVc.jpg

Bullet Hose AR with Crowd Control + Gunslinger = PvE annihilator.

I've actually had fun revisiting all the underutilized PvE classes. Energy Drain Voidwalker always has grenades popping off and Striker Titan doesn't suck as much as I used to believe it did.

Gunslinger with reload and stability buff + Zhalo Supercell + Nighthawk/Arcophage + critical reset throwing knife = bunch of fucking dead guys. That class is the shit.

So, now I am ready for the Exotic sword strikes for the Void and Arc Exotic swords, I'll need help, so if anyone else needs to get this quest done, please let me know.

Also have to do CoE for 1 more character.

If you get a particularly nice thing then maybe...but generally no.

Are you getting any planetary materials yet? Worth picking them up if you go last them during story missions etc. Once you have access to legendary marks you can buy them but youll want to spend them on gear first...

I didn't really "get" this game completely for a long time. I wish I knew that I should be picking up materials regularly when I started. Really hit a wall after awhile.

Mindlog

Hrm we can knock out a good Grenade guide. Easier if we each do a class. I can do Warlock.

Stormcaller (relatively weak grenades):
Pulse - OK in PvE area denial. In PvP most people are smart enough to avoid them.
Storm - Strong but slow to activate. Throw where the target is going to be.
Arcbolt - These got nerfed pretty hard and I rarely see them anymore.

Sunsinger (grenade dependent):
*All grenades benefit from the Touch of Flame/Viking Funeral combo for damage over time.
Solar - Excellent for area denial especially when paired with the Sunbreakers exotic.
Firebolt - Strong because of its throw and forget aspect. Clear PvP favorite when paired with the previously mentioned DOT bonuses.
Fusion - Powerful, but you have to stick the target. Mostly used against single opponents instead of reliable damage vs many.

Warlock (complimentary grenades):
*Grenades can interact with ED to varying degrees.
Vortex - Bog standard area denial.
Scatter - Big boost with Nothing Manacles. With that exotic this is a very strong PvE and PvP grenade as landing hits puts you very close to your next grenade when using The Hunger/ Embrace The Void. However, please see note at the end.
Axiom - The old favorite. There are a few items and perks to boost axiom bolt tracking. Generally reliable.

Voidwalker is an interesting class because its grenades can be given so many different flavors. Energy Drain builds will recharge your grenade very quickly. Bloom builds can turn your melee and grenades into mini supers. You just have to use both to be able to identify which is the most useful in a given situation.

This is all forgetting about the very underrated Skull of Ahamkara.
Quick and dirty first pass.

With the TTK, they integrated TDB and HoW into the main story much earlier than they were when those expansions released. HoW starts at ~14 now (though with missions that prior to TTK weren't labeled as HoW) and goes into the 20s.

Indeed .. Nightstalkers have critical orb creating roles in PvE.

Have been running level 36 Vanguard strikes to rank up— I am displeased when I don't generate 50+ orbs in a strike (Skyburner's Annex and Raze Lighter helps a lot).

Energy Drain builds will recharge your grenade very quickly.

If you keep killing with grenades it's a grenade every 4s with tier 5 discipline.

I finally got an artifact that generates orbs on void grenade kills and it doesn't proc nearly as often as I would like with the number of grenades I'm throwing.

How do I start HoW? And I just got the defender subclass, when do I get upgrades? Is it only each time I level or just by getting more exp or what?

How do I start HoW? And I just got the defender subclass, when do I get upgrades? Is it only each time I level or just by getting more exp or what?

See CrudeDiatribe's answer above about HoW. As for the Defender upgrades, each bubble in the subclass takes a certain amount of XP to unlock. The early bubbles will unlock very quickly, but the last few bubbles take an ungodly amount of XP to unlock. Some quick googling makes it sound like around 480k XP is required to full max out a subclass, but the XP per node increases as you go.

The upgrades are based on XP, not strictly tied to level-ups (although level-ups are obviously also based on XP).

A couple old posts that (I think) went unanswered:

1. My main character is only level 24 though, what's the best way to move forward with a character at this level? I mean to level up and get better equipment? The free roam thing is a lot of fun for me but obviously it's not the best way to advance.
  2. Will wandering around I noticed that new things were happening which I've not seen before . It told me that there was a ???? (Combat?) Runner but I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do when I saw this?

-Best way to level is play the story missions on hard difficulty and do some Crucible matches. Be sure to grab bounties first but they aren't worth tons of XP so just focus on ones you can finish naturally. If you're under-leveled for hard story missions, you can do a little Crucible first to make sure you're at least on level.

As for equipment, don't worry about your gear until you hit the Lv 40 cap. Then you can think about finding legendary and exotic gear that you like. If you find something you like but it has low light level, be sure to hang onto it since you can use a higher light piece that drops later to infuse it up to whatever light the higher gear is at. One important point is to make sure you're wearing your highest light gear whenever you decrypt engrams or get loot drops since the LL of the gear is based on your character's overall LL. New gear from Nightfalls, raids, etc. can drop up to 6 points higher than your current character's LL.

-As for the Runner you saw, I'm not totally sure what that was. Since you said you were wandering around, I'm guessing that was maybe a Public Event where an enemy spawns and you're supposed to find and kill him before he can reach a checkpoint. He should have an indicator on him after spawning so you know where to look. The only other Runner I can think of would be during the Rift Crucible mode, so not while randomly wandering.

Anyway, hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

I've played Destiny since launch and through TTK. I stopped playing last year and I haven't really been back since the last few updates.

This latest expansion has my interest, but I'm not really sure where to begin in order to get back into the game. It feels like so much has been added that I'm figuring out the game again.

Any suggestions on what to do, collect, and see since TTK?

These general questions are always tricky to answer. If you didn't finish the TTK storyline then do that first. Most of the things added over the last year were seasonal events like Sparrow Racing that aren't around anymore. So honestly you haven't missed that much. The April update added some new quests, a new Strike and new Prison of Elders playlists so that's worth checking out. Nobody does the Lv41 PoE much but the Lv42 Challenge of Elders is reasonably popular.

Other than that, it depends on what (if any) quests you already did. There are a lot of exotic weapons you can get from various Quest lines, like the exotic swords that are a pain to get but a lot of fun to use. If you haven't done the King's Fall raid then that's worth checking out at least once. The easiest way is probably to check Hawkian's newbie raids in the OP and sign up for the next KF once you've leveled up enough. I'm not sure what light level he requires, but normal KF only goes to 310 LL so it shouldn't be too tough to get geared for that.

If you have any more specific questions that pop up, feel free to drop me a line.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
So what's the best way to use Three Of Coins now?
I like to pop mine in strike playlists just before every boss. IIRC the cooldown starts once an ultra is killed and the 3oC procs

Also this might be a better use of your time
Best thing to do is save your strange coins and convert them to heavy ammo to donate to the factions come September instead of spending it on three of coins.

Dthomp

Oh man, that pillar shot. Warpriest was at like 4-5% health when you hit the pillar :( then the last of us died....

Top Bottom