• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

5 minutes of absolutely nothing. This thing is out in like 3 months, why is he being so secretive about new info? lol

I do not have much faith in this expansion being anything substantial based on how they're selling it currently.

I imagine they're planning a month of reveals~ So no point in talking about it too much.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Why do they even bother to nerf/buff anything these days. Userbase is at an all time low. Big thing isn't out for months. The people that are still playing daily, me included, are enjoying the game the way it is despite flaws here and there. Changing it and taking away certain aspects of why it's fun is basically just pissing on people who despite having hundreds of other things to do in their time prefer to relax and play a so called dead game.
It's obvious to me they are just looking at certain aspects of the game and make changes just for the sake of it only to say they are doing something. I'd rather them work on whatever is coming and if they need to make changes then. I personally do not see the logic in making changes when the population and content out now doesn't really need it.

You're god damn right I like making people chase me only to turn around and sticky them with a tripmine. Fun's over. Move along.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Speaking of. How in the hell did Mupod and Cap stayed alive for days in crucible.

3f2af4n.png

Guess I am gonna ask again but whats the chrome gear about, got some parts but those are at 3 light.

How do I get more

So those boxes you get with the chroma gear, the sterling treasures, are 'cosmetic' boxes(But not cosmetic) that once you reach max level, you can use gear to level up. So let's say you like the look of the chroma gear, and you want to level it to your light level, you can do that. The reason they're at 3 light level, is so that essentially you're not 'buying power' by purchasing Sterling boxes with real money.

That's all it's for. If you're talking about the faction boxes, then the new faction box drops have a chance at being 'chroma' enabled, again which is just for looks.

Speaking of. How in the hell did Mupod and Cap stayed alive for days in crucible.

3f2af4n.png

This is amazing.

Wasn't there a glitch a while back where matches wouldn't end? Or something of that sort?

So those boxes you get with the chroma gear, the sterling treasures, are 'cosmetic' boxes(But not cosmetic) that once you reach max level, you can use gear to level up. So let's say you like the look of the chroma gear, and you want to level it to your light level, you can do that. The reason they're at 3 light level, is so that essentially you're not 'buying power' by purchasing Sterling boxes with real money.

That's all it's for. If you're talking about the faction boxes, then the new faction box drops have a chance at being 'chroma' enabled, again which is just for looks.

Oh.....huh......Warlock gear doesnt look that good.....so....I got a free bike...now into the Taken skins I guess

Not only did I not say that they were affecting me as a Hunter main(Context clues!) but you don't have to ask me, look at posts from some other people upset about it.

Context clues, sparrow. Reading is fun. I read that people who enjoy hunters, in this thread, are disappointed in the changes. That is what I was referring to. If you have trouble understanding that, then that's on you. Do you want me to spell it out further? Or can I never discuss the patch notes unless I actively play the game? Please continue, Sparrow. If you want to argue semantics, if you want to argue context, if you want to discuss how context and words work, I'm here to help you out, buddy.

I'm good. I thought it was worth pointing out that the community rabble-rouser is drawing on next to no personal experience while dismissing another poster's experience because it's not in lockstep with his all-caps hot takes on behalf of the community.

Dismissing someone's opinion with almost 400 games played on the class in question by implying they aren't someone who 'enjoyed Hunters' is asinine and should be called out for being the nonsense that it is.

I'm good. I thought it was worth pointing out that the community rabble-rouser is drawing on next to no personal experience while dismissing another poster's experience because it's not in lockstep with his all-caps hot takes on behalf of the community.

Dismissing someone's opinion with almost 400 games played on the class in question by implying they aren't someone who 'enjoyed Hunters' is asinine and should be called out for being the nonsense that it is.

A nerf is a nerf and it's easy to see, especially when multiple people are taking said said nerfs negatively. Having a conversation with people about it is something that happens in communities, so ad hominem like you've attempted is really worthless. And when you say I'm dismissing that posters opinion when he's the one dismissing critique(No big deal when trip mines are a big deal to some, when shade step is a big deal to some) Is well..it speaks like it's coming from someone who isn't deeply into hunters like other posters who may have 3 hunters or when they only play hunters.

400 games is a drop in the hat, when some posters who have decried these nerfs have over 1000 games on their hunter. Again, I'm simply having a conversation here about the changes, and how it's reflective of Bungies previous overall balance to the game.

But please, come into the conversation, interject yourself and pull out one out of context post, ignoring what else was said, and belay to us your opinion that simply showcases how highly you think of yourself because you think you're getting a 'zinger' in. "Arrr, I'm getting a quick one on Breezy, one up me guys! Yeah I sure showed him!" Because that's how you're coming off right now.

Continue misrepresenting what I am saying and throwing in a little ad hominem for flavor. It's always fun replying to someone who thinks they can step up to the plate, only to trip themselves on the way there.

So... How bout those conferences, huh? I enjoyed them all, except EA's.

We Happy Few... I want to know more! And Tekken 7 early 2017!

As for the patch... Vent. Adapt.

Still enjoying the game. Playing the story mode again, getting my first Warlock to 40. The grind is real, leveling up the sub-classes.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I like the direction RE7 is taking. It's back to the basics. Obviously PT is the inspiration. I remember first day or so of PT nobody knew what the hell to do to beat the game and the whole gaming industry came together to figure it out. Namely the Twitch community.

I like the direction RE7 is taking. It's back to the basics. Obviously PT is the inspiration. I remember first day or so of PT nobody knew what the hell to do to beat the game and the whole gaming industry came together to figure it out. Namely the Twitch community.

I remember watching that unfold. I think the first person to 'solve' it took 3-4 hours to do it? She was so excited when she did it too!(And so was everyone else when they found out)

RE7 has piqued my interest. I should try out the demo...I wonder how Kojimas game will turn out. Naked reedus, sign me up.

Was there ever a video or something that legit explained PT's final puzzle solution? Like I know there were ways to cheese it cause I beat it using random stuff like saying names into the microphone. But was there ever a full explanation for what you were supposed to do and why?

Playing PT blind was easily the scariest gaming experience I've had, but it fell apart with that last puzzle. I know the point was to make it so convoluted it was supposed to take a month to solve, so we wouldn't know it was Silent Hills.

KxoZz

Ok so due to problems with my internet provider, I haven't been able to play destiny since March. Yesterday evening got it all figured out again. But now I am out of the loop on pretty much everything.
I left off with a measly 319 lock and 317-318 hunter/titan...
Where do I start my road to 335? Went to the tower and Reef and picked up a bunch of packages and an Elders' Sigil from Variks. Do I go there next or am I to low a level? Hardmode Oryx raid gear must have been updated to 335 stuff, right? Nightfall too.
And what about gear? Am I still okay with using a Hung Jury and 1KYS? What's the new cool weapon to have (if there is one)?

Damn, I feel like a Christmas Noob or Taken Tot... :(

Was there ever a video or something that legit explained PT's final puzzle solution? Like I know there were ways to cheese it cause I beat it using random stuff like saying names into the microphone. But was there ever a full explanation for what you were supposed to do and why?

Playing PT blind was easily the scariest gaming experience I've had, but it fell apart with that last puzzle. I know the point was to make it so convoluted it was supposed to take a month to solve, so we wouldn't know it was Silent Hills.

Part 1:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVUEoB-_DeA
Part 2:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9GscOaHqcQ

Goes into it a bit, very good analysis.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Personally didn't play PT but I watched quite a few who did. I think part of what made it so scary was the atmosphere and sound direction. You are always on the edge of your seat.

Watching Max play RE7 demo now and him and his buds are slowly figuring it out. I wonder if anybody beat it yet.

Awesome, thanks Breezy!

No problem. I'm watching it again. It's 1 in the morning. I'm not going to sleep tonight ;_; Oh there's also a part 3-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XFShYLEdmw

The bit about the bathroom door is great. When it came out, googling 'How to open the bathroom door' would lead towards nothing, and it would be a while till it led to PT. Ugh, PT is so good.

I bet the air glide with bladedancer nerf was to accomodate the new raid (or future raids in general) since it was pretty much only useful for breaking encounters : p

I wonder if it affects sword-relics too

I wonder if they'll patch out the sword-wall climbing technique as well?

FyreWulff

I bet the air glide with bladedancer nerf was to accomodate the new raid (or future raids in general) since it was pretty much only useful for breaking encounters :p and you're outside and on mountains and shit.. can't be putting people underground forever as a way to keep them from jumpcheese.

I wonder if it affects sword-relics too

I bet the air glide with bladedancer nerf was to accomodate the new raid (or future raids in general) since it was pretty much only useful for breaking encounters :p

Air glide was essential to using arc blade properly in PvP. It was a crucial mechanic of the super and therefore the subclass as a whole. It's a huge mistake to disincentivize it imo, but we'll see what happens once the patch is live. Even with the duration increased 2 seconds, I expect the combination of 20% more expensive swipes and 0.8 second cool-down between air swipes will severely punish arguably the worst super in the game.

FyreWulff

Air glide was essential to using arc blade properly in PvP. It was a crucial mechanic of the super and therefore the subclass as a whole. It's a huge mistake to disincentivize it imo, but we'll see what happens once the patch is live. Even with the duration increased 2 seconds, I expect the combination of 20% more expensive swipes and 0.8 second cool-down between air swipes will severely punish arguably the worst super in the game.

ah, i haven't played that class intently in PvP yet.

Also, with the way things are going.. Scorpio and PS4neo will basically be another cross-gen divide for Destiny. 1.8 -> 6 TFlops is no joke.

GutZ31

ah, i haven't played that class intently in PvP yet.

Also, with the way things are going.. Scorpio and PS4neo will basically be another cross-gen divide for Destiny. 1.8 -> 6 TFlops is no joke.

Oh, so Bungie is making their game just for the new systems? you read this somewhere?

Does the PS4Neo have 6 Tflops? Or is that just the Scorpio right now?

Either way...I imagine it's going to be annoying for developers. Apparently some devs are annoyed at the PS4Neo, I wonder how they feel about the Scorpio..

Interesting times ahead for Destiny.

Oh, so Bungie is making their game just for the new systems? you read this somewhere?

They haven't said anything, but one would assume they'd wanna take advantage of the extra power.

FyreWulff

Does the PS4Neo have 6 Tflops? Or is that just the Scorpio right now?

Either way...I imagine it's going to be annoying for developers. Apparently some devs are annoyed at the PS4Neo, I wonder how they feel about the Scorpio..

Interesting times ahead for Destiny.

They haven't said anything, but one would assume they'd wanna take advantage of the extra power.

Neo was rumored to be around 4.4 .. MS essentially drew a line in the sand for Sony to come after them.

I don't know anything or haven't read anything about Bungie specifically building for those two consoles. But you have to wonder if they knew early and maybe pushed back D2 or an engine overhaul to account for the holiday 2017 release of the Scorpio instead of being caught a year behind on the transition.

At minimum, I would think Destiny would be native 4K on Scorpio and Neo. I still expect them to straddle the generations, especially if Sony enforces games working on both Neo and PS4.

Seeing as the current Destiny was designed to accomodate the 360 from the start, they still have a lot of room to grow the tech on this generation as it is

Feorax

Anyone need one for reset activities? It's the first Tuesday I've actually had off in ages, feels like I'm so far behind.

Neo was rumored to be around 4.4 .. MS essentially drew a line in the sand for Sony to come after them.

I don't know anything or haven't read anything about Bungie specifically building for those two consoles. But you have to wonder if they knew early and maybe pushed back D2 or an engine overhaul to account for the holiday 2017 release of the Scorpio instead of being caught a year behind on the transition.

At minimum, I would think Destiny would be native 4K on Scorpio and Neo. I still expect them to straddle the generations.

The PS4 Neo stuff was leaked....2 months ago? 2 and a half months ago? We can surmise that it's been in production longer, along with the Scorpio. It would make sense why they would delay D2 in order to spruce it up for that. And again, it makes sense that D2 is coming out next year, during the Scorpios release, so they can really show off what they have.

Question is, is Sony going to step up to the plate? I imagine it'd be annoying to make essentially make 4 versions of a game-1 for both the PS4/Xbo, 1 for PS4Neo, and 1 for Scorpio(Unless they cap it out at Neos stats and have that for the Scorpio.)

That's if they decide to take advantage of the new iterations of hardware.

Seeing as the current Destiny was designed to accomodate the 360 from the start, they still have a lot of room to grow the tech on this generation as it is

Yeah. The games are extremely similar on last gen and current gen right?(I've only played current). That's at the most, 500MB being used for the background stuff, whilst the current gen versions have higher texture resolutions. Space for inventory was cited as one of the issues prevented by crossgen, I wonder what else they can add to the game to truly make it current gen.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited to see what the future holds for Destiny. I love this game dearly, it's just that Bungies balance has pushed me away.

stay gold

So many unnecessary nerfs, what the hell are they doing? Is Bungie's current pvp team significantly different to year 1?

Tbh my setup should benefit from this but im just sick of it, constant slowing down of the game. Please give us a House of Wolves playlist.

FyreWulff

Question is, is Sony going to step up to the plate? I imagine it'd be annoying to make essentially make 4 versions of a game-1 for both the PS4/Xbo, 1 for PS4Neo, and 1 for Scorpio(Unless they cap it out at Neos stats and have that for the Scorpio.)

That's if they decide to take advantage of the new iterations of hardware.

Yeah. The games are extremely similar on last gen and current gen right?(I've only played current). That's at the most, 500MB being used for the background stuff, whilst the current gen versions have higher texture resolutions. Space for inventory was cited as one of the issues prevented by crossgen, I wonder what else they can add to the game to truly make it current gen.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited to see what the future holds for Destiny. I love this game dearly, it's just that Bungies balance has pushed me away.

Yeah, if Neo comes in lower that's what Bungie will target.

Re: last gen Destiny. I played both the PS3 and 360 versions (360 only for a little bit - but i have plans right now to buy the 360 version and complete it before the cutoff). The largest difference you'll currently notice is that the last gen doesn't have the steady 30fps, a lot of effects are nerfed especially if they used transparency, and a lot of animations are gone (basically, if an armor or a gun has an idle animation, it's gone on last gen).. but that also indicates that Bungie is willing to have features here and there that are simply turned off on weaker hardware. And of course the 720p max res which gives last gen Destiny a "softer" look.

fakeedit: Vanilla destiny armor and gun effects were the same across gens, just slightly different.. like the Skullfort helmet animates slowly and like 4 fps on PS3. As of House of Wolves and later, they stopped doing that and omit effects entirely.

But yeah Destiny is about to jump from a ~300MB RAM asset cap to 5GB as the base spec.

Yeah, if Neo comes in lower that's what Bungie will target.

Re: last gen Destiny. I played both the PS3 and 360 versions (360 only for a little bit - but i have plans right now to buy the 360 version and complete it before the cutoff). The largest difference you'll currently notice is that the last gen doesn't have the steady 30fps, a lot of effects are nerfed especially if they used transparency, and a lot of animations are gone (basically, if an armor or a gun has an idle animation, it's gone on last gen).. but that also indicates that Bungie is willing to have features here and there that are simply turned off on weaker hardware. And of course the 720p max res which gives last gen Destiny a "softer" look.

fakeedit: Vanilla destiny armor and gun effects were the same across gens, just slightly different.. like the Skullfort helmet animates slowly and like 4 fps on PS3. As of House of Wolves and later, they stopped doing that and omit effects entirely.

But yeah Destiny is about to jump from a ~300MB RAM asset cap to 5GB as the base spec.

Ok, those are good examples that I can imagine.

They definitely showed some of those effects in Rise of Iron-mainly the wind/snow effects that seemed to use volumetric effects/lighting. I wonder if there will be any random blizzards in RoI? either way, I want to see what they can do with Destiny with all this new space they've been given, now that they're cutting off last gen.

recks

Felt the need to complain about the HC nerf even if I don't play the game anymore, how dare Bungie nerf my verticality. Hope DeeJ trips on a cheeseburger.
Meaning that he should be fired

WeTeHa

Oh bungie...

what the actual fuck at some of the nerfs. Good job at nerfing bladedancer, that was like the single most OP thing in the game. /s Do you expect me to just run around on the ground hoping for people not to teamshoot me? I mean... who thinks of that stuff?

It feels like the people who balance the game don't actually play the game. It seems like all they do is look at a stats screen and the most popular streamer and go like "let's nerf the shit out of that."

Blade was fun to play. It had a super high skill ceiling that very few people actually reached AND it was also arguably the worst super in the game. And now it's even worse. GG bungie, I guess I'll play even less pvp than before.

the_id

What data sources do they use when deciding which part of the game needs rebalancing?

We know they keep an eye on K/Ds of weapons, class and subclass and Urk have been on record saying that one of their principles of weapon balancing is to keep K/Ds around 1.0.

But what data source do they use when deciding what particular perk of a weapon or subclass node to buff/nerf? Relying on data that they collect on the crucible is one thing, but do they actually watch how the players are playing with these weapons?

This current round of rebalancing shows that they're relying too much on the data they collect but not actually SEE how their game is being played.

I wish they would at least do a playtest or do a closed BETA whenever they want to rebalance things.

Waldini

Oh bungie...

what the actual fuck at some of the nerfs. Good job at nerfing bladedancer, that was like the single most OP thing in the game. /s Do you expect me to just run around on the ground hoping for people not to teamshoot me? I mean... who thinks of that stuff?

It feels like the people who balance the game don't actually play the game. It seems like all they do is look at a stats screen and the most popular streamer and go like "let's nerf the shit out of that."

Blade was fun to play. It had a super high skill ceiling that very few people actually reached AND it was also arguably the worst super in the game. And now it's even worse. GG bungie, I guess I'll play even less pvp than before.

Same goes for Shadestep. Sure, it was annoying but actually to SOME skill to use.
Same goes for the Twilight Garrison, why the fuck nerf it?
Hawkmoon NERF again? Sure Bungie, we'll keep using Pulse-Rifles in PvP.

How about fixing the fucking atrocious lag in PvP? No, wait ... leave regular PvP outta this. Fix the goddamn red-bards, lag-switchers and DDOS'ers in Trials of Osiris. O, and while you are at it ... introduce an auto-kick for people who run on 56.6K modems. Remove SBBM and people might actually ENJOY your game. O wait ... that's the whole point isn't it? Having fun is not allowed.

Lol @ the reactions to the patch notes. Why do you people still play if you're always so miserable? Shit never changes with this fanbase. Embarrassing.

Top Bottom