• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

Frenden

Banned
The Y2 triumphs look easy enough.

I never bothered to get 50 calcified fragments, so I might pass. I don't think I've ever used the Y1 emblem after the first week of getting it.

Arrrammis

The Y2 triumphs look easy enough.

I never bothered to get 50 calcified fragments, so I might pass. I don't think I've ever used the Y1 emblem after the first week of getting it.

I'd agree, but the completionist in me is still angry that I wasn't around for SRL, I don't want to miss another limited time reward. Hopefully they have a better shader this time, black tiger print is ok, but I really prefer solid colors.

SheHateMe

So, I guess I gotta get that Oryx Challenge done to complete Y2, huh? Shit. It's going to be rough to find people to do it with.

Glad I already did the Crucible quests with some timely help from SRL Racing, which also helped me get my Chaperone.

And collecting those 50 fragments are going to be a pain in the ass, aren't they?

Shit. 3 months to go.

*loads Destiny for the first time in months*

GhaleonEB

Anywhere I can go to see some of the changes that make you think this? Ive been away from destiny for awhile and was interested in checking it out again

The ones that really put me over, in the April update:

Shotguns:
Reduced the total Ammo Inventory for all Shotguns by roughly 5-7 rounds

Snipers:
Reduced the total Ammo Inventory for all Sniper Rifles by roughly 5-7 rounds
Added 2 frames of zoom time to sniper zoom
Reduced Stability across all Sniper Rifle stats so that re-acquiring a target after firing requires more care

1000 Yard Stare:
Reduced Ammo inventory base stat

MIDA Multi-Tool
Removed high caliber rounds from intrinsic behavior

Prior to this update, I'd concluded sidearms were worthless in PvE, and I've never enjoyed using fusion rifles. Shotguns have long since been nerfed into oblivion in PvE, making them worse overall than when Destiny shipped, thanks to the shorter drop off for damage. So I was basically down to using snipers as my main secondary weapon. Now they get whacked - harder to handle, less reserve ammo - and my favorite primary weapon got hit as well. (1K Stare holds a whopping 10 reserve shots, after its cut.) I find sniping just a bit more difficult, which combines with less ammo on hand to make it much more frustrating; I feel like the game is conspiring against me. Which is just enough to put me off the game, since every other secondary weapon class is not fun to use.

Around House of Wolves, the sandbox for PvE was in a decent place and I rotated through a larger number of weapons; the variety was nice and the game was fun. Slowly they all got nerfed severely, or cut back in other ways (ammo supplies, perks removed, etc.). It's made the game less diverse and less fun to play.

Standing around giant piles of secondary ammo, not able to pick any up because I can only hold 10 reserve shots actually made me laugh out loud last night. It's so utterly broken.

Gunplay used to be a joy in Destiny, and I feel like they played whack-a-mole so hard and so long that they beat the fun out of it.

(I realize I've done like, three variations of this post since the April update, so I'll stop now. I hope things get better with the expansion.)

I played quite a bit of crucible yesterday and today to test out the changes and surprisingly its not awful. Handcannons feel good again, especially my eyasluna (bae) with a good roll. It wrecked everything.

Arc blade feels different and the mobility is nerfed (cooldown on the swipes is quite noticeable and makes you less mobile), you can't really spam like you used to. But on the other hand the increased duration is quite noticeable as well, if you don't spam the swipes in the air (and sometimes this is needed) i noticed you can get way more kills than i felt i could before (again, not really that useful in trials), as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMdLMjXOmKE

Also, nothing quite like headshotting an invis self revive

3o6gDYjd5IlrZ7ybbG.gif

LTWood12

The ones that really put me over, in the April update:

Prior to this update, I'd concluded sidearms were worthless in PvE, and I've never enjoyed using fusion rifles. Shotguns have long since been nerfed into oblivion in PvE, making them worse overall than when Destiny shipped, thanks to the shorter drop off for damage. So I was basically down to using snipers as my main secondary weapon. Now they get whacked - harder to handle, less reserve ammo - and my favorite primary weapon got hit as well. (1K Stare holds a whopping 10 reserve shots, after its cut.) I find sniping just a bit more difficult, which combines with less ammo on hand to make it much more frustrating; I feel like the game is conspiring against me. Which is just enough to put me off the game, since every other secondary weapon class is not fun to use.

Around House of Wolves, the sandbox for PvE was in a decent place and I rotated through a larger number of weapons; the variety was nice and the game was fun. Slowly they all got nerfed severely, or cut back in other ways (ammo supplies, perks removed, etc.). It's made the game less diverse and less fun to play.

Standing around giant piles of secondary ammo, not able to pick any up because I can only hold 10 reserve shots actually made me laugh out loud last night. It's so utterly broken.

Gunplay used to be a joy in Destiny, and I feel like they played whack-a-mole so hard and so long that they beat the fun out of it.

(I realize I've done like, three variations of this post since the April update, so I'll stop now. I hope things get better with the expansion.)

Absolutely nailed it Ghaleon. It's so frustrating.

Dez_

Well, I have the CM Oryx calcified fragment left. That challenge mode is next week? I'll be down to get that done.

Funny enough, I did the CM method for my last Oryx kill, but it was during a different boss CM week.

Frenden

Banned
The sandbox team essentially ruins/dilutes the creations from the other teams at Bungie.

If it's not the sandbox team, it's the investment/economy team. Either the balance sucks or the grind sucks and seldom have we had a time where BOTH were in a good place.

I'd argue HoW was as close to a balance AND investment being good at the same time as we had.

And leaving my clan fixed pvp for me.

Also the blink strike nerf threw me off in one occasion so that also sucks. The increased range on arcblade swipes is good though. Makes it harder for shotgunners to trade with you. Hunter recovery was already awful so who knows how much of a difference the blink nerf makes.

Well, I have the CM Oryx calcified fragment left. That challenge mode is next week? I'll be down to get that done.

Funny enough, I did the CM method for my last Oryx kill, but it was during a different boss CM week.

My group had been doing the CM method from before the hard mode was even released. Don't think I've ever done it any other way on any difficulty.

E92 M3

If it's not the sandbox team, it's the investment/economy team. Either the balance sucks or the grind sucks and seldom have we had a time where BOTH were in a good place.

I'd argue HoW was as close to a balance AND investment being good at the same time as we had.

That's true, but I feel like the investment/economy team learned their lesson. Unfortunately, it seems like the sandbox does whatever they want.

Also the blink strike nerf threw me off in one occasion so that also sucks. The increased range on arcblade swipes is good though. Makes it harder for shotgunners to trade with you. Hunter recovery was already awful so who knows how much of a difference the blink nerf makes.

At least there are some positives.

Xeroblade

Did I miss something? I got Shaxx's weekly bounties and the bounty The True Meaning of War 4 of 5 are already completed and I haven't done a single bounty?

sajj316

Can you clarify? Actually leaving the clan through the web browser fixed the issue with invisible players?

LTWood12

House of Wolves was the Pinnacle of weapons being fun to use. It was the pinnacle of both the moment to moment gameplay and the loot drops feeling so good.

Oryx CM is this week— it changed after the patch dropped.

Wait for real?!

Frenden

Banned
Bladedancer felt pretty bad to me. Skip grenades might've been a little bullshit before, but they were one of the few neutral positives that class had post-blink-nerf.

Gunslingers are definitely worse than they were. Tripmines were clutch as fuck. Resorting to a nerfed Incendiary grenade feels bad too--4 damage per DoT tick means they aren't a one hit kill now. Oof. There's some speculation this is SUPPOSED to be 7 damage still. Time will tell.

That said, there's something to the whole hunter with a viable hand cannon thing. I remembered why I slang-guns and was aggressively airborne and mobile in year one--because I could get away with it thanks to hand cannons.

Year two started with a very flat-footed pulse rifle meta. Pulses reward near-sniper like play in most part. Use lanes, stay on the ground, and don't jump--you can't hit anything while airborne with a pulse and if you're in the air against a pulse you basically are a duck in duck hunt.

Year two fucked me, hard. I had all this aggressive muscle memory built for rushing, getting air, and popping fools with hand cannons. I was an easy target.

Now? I hate the changes to the subclasses. Only the Scumsinger nerfs feel deserved. But my gun shoots where I point it. I'm playing aggressively against flat footed opponents used to a very ground-bound MIDA and pulse meta and doing well.

It turns out, bullets landing where you aim is pretty important.

Dez_

My group had been doing the CM method from before the hard mode was even released. Don't think I've ever done it any other way on any difficulty.

I just remember detonating those corrupted light orbs each round when I was doing this on normal. I would have never figured out that you could stack those orbs like that. It's honestly way more efficient doing it like that.

Oh nice! Well, I will be down to do some Oryx CM later this week with anyone. I'll keep an eye out in this thread.

zewone

House of Wolves was the Pinnacle of weapons being fun to use. It was the pinnacle of both the moment to moment gameplay and the loot drops feeling so good.

House of Wolves: God roll vs God roll vs God roll vs God roll vs God roll vs God roll

No thanks.

SheHateMe

Gunslingers are definitely worse than they were. Tripmines were clutch as fuck. Resorting to a nerfed Incendiary grenade feels bad too--4 damage per DoT tick means they aren't a one hit kill now. Oof. There's some speculation this is SUPPOSED to be 7 damage still. Time will tell.

Shit, I gotta change my class now? Gunslinger has always been my class, period.

UGH.

Oh nice! Well, I will be down to do some Oryx CM later this week with anyone. I'll keep an eye out in this thread.

I'll do the same! Didn't know it was this week. I want to get this done as quickly as possible.

sajj316

I just remember detonating those corrupted light orbs each round when I was doing this on normal. I would have never figured out that you could stack those orbs like that. It's honestly way more efficient doing it like that.

I will certainly be doing another Kings Fall HM run later in the week Dez! It will be "Less Rusty Raiding."

Frenden

Banned
Shit, I gotta change my class now? Gunslinger has always been my class, period.

UGH.

They got hit HARD. 10% less knife damage. Less DoT on incendiaries and fire knives. Tripmine 6% damage nerf. Tripmines no longer stick or one hit.

But they're still my favorite class to use. Striker and Stormcaller are probably the top meta picks for PvP, if I had to guess, but I'm sticking with Gunslinger.

Homeboyd

Did I miss something? I got Shaxx's weekly bounties and the bounty The True Meaning of War 4 of 5 are already completed and I haven't done a single bounty?
Did you play Iron Banner at all when it was last up? Reddit folks seem to think completing bounties there sometimes counts towards the Shaxx weekly bounty for some reason. Lots of people experiencing the same thing you are.

SpecX

What the hell? Man, now I wish I saved the checkpoint for Oryx. Anyone with the checkpoint willing to share later tonight or even running it?

I'm ready for Y2 triumphs as well. Just need to finish this stupid climb the mountain quest line, but I'm at the end of the requirements.

Iron Banner weekly bounties count towards the True Meaning of War bounty. So if you've completed them sometime recently that will be why.

Bladedancer felt pretty bad to me. Skip grenades might've been a little bullshit before, but they were one of the few neutral positives that class had post-blink-nerf.

That said, there's something to the whole hunter with a viable hand cannon thing. I remembered why I slang-guns and was aggressively airborne and mobile in year one--because I could get away with it thanks to hand cannons.

Year two started with a very flat-footed pulse rifle meta. Pulses reward near-sniper like play in most part. Use lanes, stay on the ground, and don't jump--you can't hit anything while airborne with a pulse and if you're in the air against a pulse you basically are a duck in duck hunt.

Year two fucked me, hard. I had all this aggressive muscle memory built for rushing, getting air, and popping fools with hand cannons. I was an easy target.

Now? I hate the changes to the subclasses. Only the Scumsinger nerfs feel deserved. But my gun shoots where I point it. I'm playing aggressively against flat footed opponents used to a very ground-bound MIDA and pulse meta and doing well.

It turns out, bullets landing where you aim is pretty important.

May have to give my rangefinder, luck in the chamber reinforced barrel Eyasluna a run out then. It was pretty good pre-patch so hopefully it wrecks face now that I can't stick tripmines to people

Xeroblade

Did you play Iron Banner at all when it was last up? Reddit folks seem to think completing bounties there sometimes counts towards the Shaxx weekly bounty for some reason. Lots of people experiencing the same thing you are.

Iron Banner weekly bounties count towards the True Meaning of War bounty. So if you've completed them sometime recently that will be why.

Thanks, thats interesting, Not complaining at all more gear!

zewone

You really like Exhumed & Eye of the storm? I should've clarified that it was the pinnacle of PvE.

I like shitty perks being around so that every roll isn't top tier.

I want their to be more loot to chase than the ability to get a god roll whenever I want.

Trakan

I had not seen this,

http://mashable.com/2016/06/15/dest...s/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link#T30ltYwHKgqI

So any year 2 gear will be able to be upgraded to year 3 power levels. I'm assuming they're NOT adding infusion nodes to year one gear, but they don't explicitly say.

Lol great timing for this quote:

"We're looking to not fix what isn't broken and look for stuff that fans have been asking for and looking to make tweaks for. We're focusing on that stuff," he said.

sajj316

Thanks for the company last night gentleman, I'll be online tonight for more of the same (with some added PvP, so we can try out the god roll Grasps we will inevitably get
/s
).

Indeed. I figured the 2nd one that I got with glass half full, range finder, and will of light (taken damage) would be good on raids so I'll keep it until a better roll.

Homeboyd

I had not seen this,

http://mashable.com/2016/06/15/dest...s/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link#T30ltYwHKgqI

So any year 2 gear will be able to be upgraded to year 3 power levels. I'm assuming they're NOT adding infusion nodes to year one gear, but they don't explicitly say.
The 1:1 infusion system is MUCH better than the old system, but there definitely is a problem that having the infusion system in the game creates. People hoard shit gear at high light levels for "future drops." Vaults full of gear they'll never use because they may get a good piece of gear later that they then need to "bring up" to end-game levels. Infusion is a decent system, but I'd prefer light levels going away completely. Get away from this being an inventory management game.

SheHateMe

They got hit HARD. 10% less knife damage. Less DoT on incendiaries and fire knives. Tripmine 6% damage nerf. Tripmines no longer stick or one hit.

But they're still my favorite class to use. Striker and Stormcaller are probably the top meta picks for PvP, if I had to guess, but I'm sticking with Gunslinger.

Well, shit. No more Stuck kills. That was my jam.

Oh well. I'll get by. I'm a Hunter. That's what I do.

Just booted the game. I need 16 more fragments, the CM Oryx kill, and complete an Elder's Sigil scorecard in the Prison of Elders.

Not too hard, right? 3 months (while only being able to play late night/weekends) should be enough time, right?

Right?

Dez_

I will certainly be doing another Kings Fall HM run later in the week Dez! It will be "Less Rusty Raiding."

This Rusty Raider will be reporting for duty! You looking to get a group together around the same time we ran last week? I should be able to do that, provided I don't get hit with any surprises at work.

If not, let me know. I have psn app on my phone so I'll see any messages you send and can answer accordingly.

Now, hoping there are a few people out there with some Oryx checkpoints around, or anything really.
Thanks for the company last night gentleman, I'll be online tonight for more of the same (with some added PvP, so we can try out the god roll Grasps we will inevitably get
/s
).
Yeah, ch4fx, good runs. My luck kind of ran out earlier in the day, but at least I got more grasps than I ever thought I would. I'm pretty happy with that. I'm going to enjoy using these pulse rifles while they last. I'm almost certain they will be hit with the next upcoming series of nerfs.

"We're looking to not fix what isn't broken and look for stuff that fans have been asking for and looking to make tweaks for. We're focusing on that stuff," he said.

Taken from that mashable article LT linked to.

This goes against what has just happened with the recent patch. No one anywhere was asking for tripmines or throwing knife nerfs. No one was claiming Hawkmoon was OP and needed nerfing. Some times I wonder if the community feedback actually reaches the right people.

I want their to be more loot to chase than the ability to get a god roll whenever I want.

Yup. I agree. While there's a lot of perks that suck in Y2, it has been better without folks having god rolls. Also, gun skill is still the number one factor. I've been worked with lots of random guns in Trials in y2 not part of the current meta. Having a god roll just helps lower that gun skill gap.

Except that made every gun you got automatically have the potential to be good. You never sharded something until you tried it out back then, because you knew you could easily get a good roll on it. Now it's just "darn this perk sucks, I guess I can't use it." Also, everyone having a god roll in crucible actually made it more of an even playing field and more skill based because most people had the same rolls on their matador or ash factory.

desgrafx

Neo Member
This Rusty Raider will be reporting for duty! You looking to get a group together around the same time we ran last week? I should be able to do that, provided I don't get hit with any surprises at work.

If not, let me know. I have psn app on my phone so I'll see any messages you send and can answer accordingly.

Now, hoping there are a few people out there with some Oryx checkpoints around, or anything really.

Rusty Raider on deck! I'm down!

E92 M3

Lol great timing for this quote:

Like I said before, the other folks at Bungie want to do great things but the sandbox team always "enacts their balance." Also, this man was responsible for HoW - so I am excited.

The 1:1 infusion system is MUCH better than the old system, but there definitely is a problem that having the infusion system in the game creates. People hoard shit gear at high light levels for "future drops." Vaults full of gear they'll never use because they may get a good piece of gear later that they then need to "bring up" to end-game levels. Infusion is a decent system, but I'd prefer light levels going away completely. Get away from this being an inventory management game.

Yes, 100% my vault is full of stuff for the future.

sajj316

Rusty Raider on deck! I'm down!

Awesome. The plan might be for Thursday evening. Friday night might be a little hectic due to family stuff. Anyway, I'll keep you guys updated.

As you guys might already be figuring out, I'd like to get a consistent raid party going into Rise of Iron. Chemistry, teamwork, making fun of each others fails (mostly mine), etc.

NeOak

Taken from that mashable article LT linked to.

This goes against what has just happened with the recent patch. No one anywhere was asking for tripmines or throwing knife nerfs. No one was claiming Hawkmoon was OP and needed nerfing. Some times I wonder if the community feedback actually reaches the right people.
It's the feedback from the scrub players at Bungie that they seem to act on.

Top Bottom