• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

you mean the PvP balance team

They're the ones ruining everything
Agreed. All they do is buff something to then nerf it a couple months later or vice versa. They buffed pulses, then nerfed it. They nerfed TLW, to then buff it, to then nerf it again. Hawkmoon is the worst offender of this. A lot of the changes they've made lately with the last couple patches have hurt PvP and severely hurt PVE to the point where it's becoming a pain. Something as simple as getting ammo sucks now. Hopefully RoI is better in terms of balancing stuff, mainly PVE.

Dez_

Awesome. The plan might be for Thursday evening. Friday night might be a little hectic due to family stuff. Anyway, I'll keep you guys updated.

As you guys might already be figuring out, I'd like to get a consistent raid party going into Rise of Iron. Chemistry, teamwork, making fun of each others fails (mostly mine), etc.

We will be congratulating each other on our nice tethers :).

Thursday evening should work for me, and if we need to, I can run titan in case we need a second defender.

sajj316

you mean the PvP balance team

They're the ones ruining everything

They act based on statistics without the follow-up question to the community of whether it's "fun" or not. There have been way too many re-balances to the PvP which also then affect PvE

We will be congratulating each other on our nice tethers :).

Thursday evening should work for me, and if we need to, I can run titan in case we need a second defender.

I still couldn't believe I missed Omnigul that one time last night where the tether went over her head. I must have nudged the right analogue ever so slightly. I guess it's better to just tether the ground ... but I might miss that as well :p

I think the sandbox team encompasses all of that.

I imagine there are people that specialize on PvE and PvP. Or maybe you're right, they have 1 team doing all the balance thus why the game is in such disarray.

Here's hoping Rise of Iron has the main team working on cranking out the good stuff..

Trakan

Except that made every gun you got automatically have the potential to be good. You never sharded something until you tried it out back then, because you knew you could easily get a good roll on it. Now it's just "darn this perk sucks, I guess I can't use it." Also, everyone having a god roll in crucible actually made it more of an even playing field and more skill based because most people had the same rolls on their matador or ash factory.

The difference though is that the weapons from back then were actually good. Hopscotch Pilgrim and the 55a-Allfate were fantastic weapons right away with no perks. Perks just made them even better. TTK weapons all have terrible recoil patterns and need perks like counterbalance to make them usable.

The difference though is that the weapons from back then were actually good. Hopscotch Pilgrim and the 55a-Allfate were fantastic weapons right away with no perks. Perks just made them even better. TTK weapons all have terrible recoil patterns and need perks like counterbalance to make them usable.
Hmmm, fair point, the weapons back then did feel a lot better.

I also hope that we get more unique exotics with RoI, a lot of the current ones just feel like slightly better legendaries, except for a few exceptions.

Deku Tree

IGN will have a Rise of Iron interview at 2pm ET. (~40mins)

https://www.twitch.tv/ign

Don't expect much but hopefully Destin squeezes something out of them.

If it's Deej your not gonna get anything.

Just did 4 NM rank ups on Xbone and no space Ferrari dropped. orz

I got the y2 FWC ship after two rank ups yesterday. Then maintenance. Then I did four NM rank ups and I didn't get the y2 NM space Ferrari ship either. indeed orz

I'm finally starting to make progress! I hit 317 last night, thanks to some packages that I received for ranking up. This seems like the most reliable way to get better gear for me.

Also, I can't believe that I'm using the same auto rifle that I've used since I started the game. SUROS ARI-45 is one hell of a gun. I've been saying it for a while now, but it's damn good. I was given the New Monarchy version last night, but it had a crazy amount of horizontal recoil and low impact and ROF. No good.

Speaking of packages, Shax loves giving me Crucible ships. I've got about 4 different ones now. None of them are good enough to replace my Iron Banner one, though.

sajj316

Same time/day of the week? Count me in then. We getting a secondary Titan for Oryx this time? I'll start working on leveling up my ToM and will bring my glasshouse again for the longer Titan bubble.

Most likely Thursday evening 10 PM EST. Friday might be tough.

Here's hoping Rise of Iron has the main team working on cranking out the good stuff..

They already said at an E3 interview that RoI is from the Live team while others are working on "future" projects. Who exactly is included in that, and what it means for end-product quality, is anybody's guess

Same time/day of the week? Count me in then. We getting a secondary Titan for Oryx this time? I'll start working on leveling up my ToM and will bring my glasshouse again for the longer Titan bubble.

Glasshouse extends the duration of the effects from Weapons and Blessing, it doesn't make the bubble last longer. So these buffs will last longer while outside the bubble. I'm not positive but I want to say they go from 10 to 15 seconds with GH. Titan bubbles themselves last ~30 seconds, or ~45 seconds if your subclass has the Bastion perk selected.

They already said at an E3 interview that RoI is from the Live team while others are working on "future" projects. Who exactly is included in that, and what it means for end-product quality, is anybody's guess

Wait

If the live teams busy on RoI
And the rest of the company is on the future projects

Than who did the patch

Its a mystery..

sajj316

Glasshouse extends the duration of the effects from Weapons and Blessing, it doesn't make the bubble last longer. So these buffs will last longer while outside the bubble. I'm not positive but I want to say they go from 10 to 15 seconds with GH. Titan bubbles themselves last ~30 seconds, or ~45 seconds if your subclass has the Bastion perk selected.

So I guess it doesn't matter if you have glasshouse or not for extended duration of blessings of light during Oryx where Titan places a bubble for Ogres. The plan was to use two ToMs to burn Ogres.

My take on this trickle of news about RoI:

They delayed Destiny 2 in January and they've been scrambling like mad to get something for the Fall. D'uh. But we're learning the extent of that now. They're not ripping stuff out of Destiny 2. They're working like mad to create new stuff. And increasingly it feels like they're not going to be able to have much.
  • That's why they're not in the Sony presentation (not to mention that the presentation was hot fire and just "another destiny expansion" couldn't stand with those games anyway)
  • That's why they're letting us keep using the same guns, because they don't have time to make a whole new set of guns.
  • That's why the theme (SIVA) is mechanical poison that apparently just glues a bunch of red tubes on our gear.
  • That's why there's no new subclasses (or classes for that matter).
  • That's why there's only one new strike.
Fortunately, if there's any game dev who's been able find gold after shooting themselves in the foot, it's Bungie

Number45

So I guess it doesn't matter if you have glasshouse or not for extended duration of blessings of light during Oryx where Titan places a bubble for Ogres. The plan was to use two ToMs to burn Ogres.
The effects don't stack either way, as long as you have the bubble up long enough to survive the four ToM bursts (the length of the buff is unlikely to matter, the ToM will burn through the available damage buffer before time is a problem) and maybe allow time after that so that people can gather in the middle before the runner arrives with the aura, you should be fine with just one bubble at that phase.

Typically we have two titans in the middle (just in case) but only one of the titans uses their bubble, which keeps the second to use in the shade if necessary. Or you could go for both weapons/blessings in the middle, just beware that you'll eat through the blessings buff quicker.

Deku Tree

My take on this trickle of news about RoI:

They delayed Destiny 2 in January and they've been scrambling like mad to get something for the Fall. D'uh. But we're learning the extent of that now. They're not ripping stuff out of Destiny 2. They're working like mad to create new stuff. And increasingly it feels like they're not going to be able to have much.
  • That's why they're not in the Sony presentation (not to mention that the presentation was hot fire and just "another destiny expansion" couldn't stand with those games anyway)
  • That's why they're letting us keep using the same guns, because they don't have time to make a whole new set of guns.
  • That's why the theme (SIVA) is mechanical poison that apparently just glues a bunch of red tubes on our gear.
  • That's why there's no new subclasses (or classes for that matter).
  • That's why there's only one new strike.
Fortunately, if there's any game dev who's been able find gold after shooting themselves in the foot, it's Bungie

One of my favorite levels in Halo CE (The Maw) was apparently scrambled together right before the launch of the game because they didn't feel like they had enough content.

Trakan

One of my favorite levels in Halo CE (The Maw) was apparently scrambled together right before the launch of the game because they didn't feel like they had enough content.

I'm pretty sure the entire Halo CE multiplayer was done by a couple people in an extremely short period of time as well. Keep in mind a lot of the original Halo guys are long gone though.

Did they? It seems like a big quality jump from what was revealed for RoI so far compared to the April update.

Really? It has the same director and producer as HoW. It seems to be that team.

Yeah, that's what I meant when saying it was anybody's guess who exactly is included in that team, and what the exact contributions are. Bungie's Chris Barrett says (slightly edited for clarity):

"We have multiple teams inside the studio. There's a dedicated team just thinking about the Live game right now: making tweaks to the current balance for example, thinking about new events like Festival of the Lost, and also expansion packs like Rise of Iron. And then we have teams working on more future stuff."

I'll link the interview with a time-stamp for the pertinent question and answer:

https://youtu.be/tFiQiMEF3gA?t=2m51s

Yeah, there's really no need for Glasshouse here. You should dip back into the bubble after every Ogre to refresh your Blessing shield, so the extra time won't come into play. It's more "optimal" but far from necessary to use the raid helm since the Take That perk will frequently proc from the other Titan's orbs and give you bonus damage against the Ogres. It's not a big deal either way: two ToMs with Weapons + Blessing of Light will melt the Ogres super fast regardless.

SpecX

Most likely Thursday evening 10 PM EST. Friday might be tough.

Let me check with my wife, I should be able to make it but don't want her raging at me.

Good to know, misread the perk and I think I switched to glasshouse the same time I enabled Bastion confusing myself.

I'm pretty sure the entire Halo CE multiplayer was done by a couple people in an extremely short period of time as well. Keep in mind a lot of the original Halo guys are long gone though.

Did they? It seems like a big quality jump from what was revealed for RoI so far compared to the April update.

You have to remember that the April update is just a bunch of armor sets, and reused assets with a point system tacked on as well as bringing forward old weapons.

Did not know that. People guff about Destiny having us run backwards through content, but that's been true since Halo 1, lol.

I do remember that. And that the Halo 1 pistol that we all love was a mostly untested last minute tweak.

The effects don't stack either way, as long as you have the bubble up long enough to survive the four ToM bursts (the length of the buff is unlikely to matter, the ToM will burn through the available damage buffer before time is a problem) and maybe allow time after that so that people can gather in the middle before the runner arrives with the aura, you should be fine with just one bubble at that phase.

Typically we have two titans in the middle (just in case) but only one of the titans uses their bubble, which keeps the second to use in the shade if necessary. Or you could go for both weapons/blessings in the middle, just beware that you'll eat through the blessings buff quicker.

There's no reason to avoid using both a Weapons and Blessing bubble. The Titans will have their supers back about the time the second Ogre dies. Even if they pop bubbles inside the Shade (which I've never found necessary or even useful since it can block sight lines), they can get their supers again from orbs in the main arena. Nightstalkers can generate tons from the Thralls that pile up in the Aura after staggering Doxology.

sajj316

Yeah, there's really no need for Glasshouse here. You should dip back into the bubble after every Ogre to refresh your Blessing shield, so the extra time won't come into play. It's more "optimal" but far from necessary to use the raid helm since the Take That perk will frequently proc from the other Titan's orbs and give you bonus damage against the Ogres. It's not a big deal either way: two ToMs with Weapons + Blessing of Light will melt the Ogres super fast regardless.

Thanks Drizz and Numbers! We only had one Titan in the middle during that phase last time, which is fine but the Ogre burns quick with Two ToMs of course. Also only had one ToM. Also, my understanding is that the guys on the platform should take out LightEater Knights, right? The guys in the middle are too busy with the Ogres. I remember a couple of times where I'm done with the Ogres .. clearing out ads and see the lovely knight running across.

Let me check with my wife, I should be able to make it but don't want her raging at me.

That's almost every night for me at around 1 AM in the morning :p

"The Dreadnaught is a new landing zone on Earth." -Deej 2016

I feel bad for Deej that he has to do all these PR events but they clearly won't let him say anything substantial. He can't say how big the Plaguelands will be, he can't say anything remotely specific about Year 3 content after RoI, etc etc. Oh well, I'll still play the shit out of whatever (non-timed-event) content they release.

Hedera

I feel bad for Deej that he has to do all these PR events but they clearly won't let him say anything substantial. He can't say how big the Plaguelands will be, he can't say anything remotely specific about Year 3 content after RoI, etc etc. Oh well, I'll still play the shit out of whatever (non-timed-event) content they release.
Yeah, they´re saving everything related with RoI for the reveal streams.

Yeah, I'd get tripped up way more, being on your feet and doing interviews all day, days in a row.

But I think this is DeeJ at his best. He's good at getting the word out to everyone, not just GAFers.

I'm starting to think all this PR work is getting to his head, based on that quote right there.

I'm starting to feel bad for the guy.

LTWood12

I know they CAN'T do this because it would look even worse from a PR standpoint; but I'd rather they just didn't give any of these interviews at all. The IGN live E3 show 99% of the time has a live game demo usually running over the interview, or at the very least B-roll from what was shown at a press conference. Bungie couldn't even bring that. I won't go so far as to say it doesn't bode well...wait, actually i will go that far. it doesn't bode well.

Yeah, that's what I meant when saying it was anybody's guess who exactly is included in that team, and what the exact contributions are. Bungie's Chris Barrett says (slightly edited for clarity):

I'll link the interview with a time-stamp for the pertinent question and answer:

https://youtu.be/tFiQiMEF3gA?t=2m51s
Thanks for the link. Just a guess from that but maybe the live team will come out with mini-DLCs until the launch of Destiny 2. They don't seem to have anything scheduled for the near future so maybe the first of these will be winter time.

darthbob

I know they CAN'T do this because it would look even worse from a PR standpoint; but I'd rather they just didn't give any of these interviews at all. The IGN live E3 show 99% of the time has a live game demo usually running over the interview, or at the very least B-roll from what was shown at a press conference. Bungie couldn't even bring that. I won't go so far as to say it doesn't bode well...wait, actually i will go that far. it doesn't bode well.

Why did Bungie even go to E3 this year? Just to hang out and shoot the shit I guess.

FyreWulff

I wouldn't worry. The issue with making E3 specific builds is that you're introducing a crunch within a crunch to make a build for E3. So it's more they didn't branch a whole build just for E3. Which is better for developers.

Also, my understanding is that the guys on the platform should take out LightEater Knights, right? The guys in the middle are too busy with the Ogres. I remember a couple of times where I'm done with the Ogres .. clearing out ads and see the lovely knight running across.

Yeah, that's correct. When an Ogre dies, it triggers the enemies (Light Eater Knight and some adds) to spawn from the opposite side. So, when Ogre-1 dies, the guy on platform-1 will use a sniper to kill the LE Knight when it spawns. Since it's so easy for the two Titans to kill the Ogres, the platform guys can focus on clearing the adds and killing the Knights. This includes helping to kill stuff that spawns on either side, e.g. there's no reason platform-2 can't help kill adds that spawned from Ogre-1.

The only catch is for LE Knight-4. Based on the encounter's timing, the runner should have Brand Claimer before the last Knight spawns. So, it's safest to have the platform folks jump down and go stay in the middle bubbles. If platform-3 guy can kill Knight-4 that's cool, but it's much more important that everyone stays alive. You'll have plenty of time to kill Knight-4 from the bubble since the Knights are pathed to walk diagonally towards the opposite blight. Knight-4 will saunter right out in the open and the Titans+platform-3 can all kill him. The other 3 teammates can kill the Vessel and then everyone can clear any remaining adds until Oryx opens his chest for Doxology.

It might sound complicated here but it's really not. Just be sure to communicate when each Knight dies so nobody is wondering if a random Knight will come strolling along later.

WeTeHa

Hmm it's too bad that golg challenge mode changed to oryx. Getting that many armor pieces with possibly high rolls is always welcome. And with all the grasp farming I'll never need primary infusion fodder...

Playing with these new changes have really dampened the excitement I had for RoI.
Biased? Probably... I've mained a Exo Gunslinger Hunter since the alpha, with literal months of accumulative playtime out in patrol.

I've never felt like GS Hunters were OP even with the short time I've spent in the crucible completing my exotic bounties.

Par the course for Bungie balancing they introduce a much needed GGun buff in PvE with a bunch of unnecessary nerfs to our other abilities.
Disappointing.

Anybody pick up the PDX 45 this week with counter balance, high caliber rounds and snap shot? Thinking about turning my package in. Wanted to know how good it is and if I should consider waiting for a better roll.

Top Bottom