• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

Marvel

could never
Started ToM quest yesterday, up to the bit where I have to farm calcified fragmments :( 21 in the bag thus far though!

ch4fx_

Farm ether seeds from Draksis then buy heavy from Variks

Patrol is the fastest. Just find route and do the kill enemies, VIP and scan objectives. It goes faster if you have a fireteam. I usually do earth and make my way towards Rocket Yard.

Heroic strikes w/ a booster isn't bad but not as fast. You might have to deal with crappy randos as well.

If you have lots of MoL you could donate some of those for a quick rank up too.

any ascendant/radiant mats from vog and crota can be converted into motes and/or glimmer from the Speaker

Thanks for the tips guys! I hit level 25 in NM on Saturday & finished up the quest line on Sunday night. I ended up doing a few hours of patrol, a handful of strikes, and donated A TON of materials.

Tacoz.. If you read this, thanks. It was really cool of you to help me rush through 10 Heroic Strikes, back to back to back.....

What is the best Hunter build for CoE this week?

Gunslinger with dual tripmines and double throwing knives.

Arcbolt is a decent choice. It doesn't kill most of the enemies in one grenade, but will chain to up to 3 enemies and will also net you lots of assist points.

I ran Nightstalker - Voidwall Grenade - Lockdown (grenades last twice as long)

I was getting 5 - 6 kills with one grenade, especially against the Psions in round 1, they just keep on walking into the flames.

SpecX

This dude on reddit made an 8-bit version of the Regicide track from the Taken King soundtrack, pretty awesome.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/4q0hag/destiny_ost_regicide_8bit_remix/?ref=share&ref_source=link

Nice! This is one of my favorite songs from TTK along with Last Stand, Surge of Light, and Cabal Breach.

Started ToM quest yesterday, up to the bit where I have to farm calcified fragmments :( 21 in the bag thus far though!

Collecting the fragments is pretty easy especially with the video guides out now. The hardest for me was the ones locked to the CoO weekly bosses and the weekly Challenge mode challenges. Having to wait a week to past to get the next one wasn't much fun.

Slowly but surely, I think I'm getting slightly better at Destiny PVP. I started playing Destiny at launch but I was a pure PvE guy. Loved the raids, the daily bounties, the strikes, etc. But you could tell early on that the focus of Destiny would be PvP. All the events were PvP based. It bugged me for a while. But I dabbled in PvP and was never good. Some may say that im still not good (which is most likely true). But at least I'm having fun with it now. It can still be rage inducing. But fun.

A buddy and I still play destiny and we played/tried/attempted/failed Trials with a LFG'er on Saturday. We didn't go flawless. We i only got to 7 wins before the card failed out. But we had a couple really good matches.I had a round where my trip mine killed all 3 players right at the beginning of the match (video incoming later tonight). I'm pumped for IB this week and hopefully I can jump on some PS4 DGaf trains.

darthbob

A couple of users are reporting that it's possible to control the RNG for faction packages by filling up the slots in all your gear slots save for the one slot that you're trying to get a drop from the package for.

For example, I want an LDR-5001, so my Primary, Heavy, Helmet, Gauntlets, Chest, Boots, Class Armor and Ghost Shell are all full, and then you go to speak to your Vanguard person, say, Zavala. When you approach Zavala the reward package will be greyed out and cannot be picked up if the item in the package is for one of the slots that is full. If the reward package is not greyed out, then it should decrypt into a special weapon.

I haven't been able to test this myself, but I've seen it posted on the Internet a bit already.

E92 M3

A couple of users are reporting that it's possible to control the RNG for faction packages by filling up the slots in all your gear slots save for the one slot that you're trying to get a drop from the package for.

For example, I want an LDR-5001, so my Primary, Heavy, Helmet, Gauntlets, Chest, Boots, Class Armor and Ghost Shell are all full, and then you go to speak to your Vanguard person, say, Zavala. When you approach Zavala the reward package will be greyed out and cannot be picked up if the item in the package is for one of the slots that is full. If the reward package is not greyed out, then it should decrypt into a special weapon.

I haven't been able to test this myself, but I've seen it posted on the Internet a bit already.

Doesn't it just go to the postmaster? Had that happen a few times.

That doesn't really make sense to me. I've had packages open lots of times where the armour or weapon end up in my postmaster because I didn't have room for it. The package wasn't greyed out.

Trakan

Sounds amazing, I'm going to try it.

Edit: Had all my slots full and was never able to get the package grayed out. It ended up going to the postmaster.

So, I finally reached the Taken King story missions. Huge improvement compared to both the original campaign and the year one DLC's.

Just one thing: No wolves to hunt anymore?

SpecX

I had something close to this happen. All my armor slots were full except for my boots, but my weapon slots still had space. I turned in the Dead Orbit package after ranking up and got boots. Might be more of a coincidence than the system working as you described.

Edit: I was always so use to this thread naturally being on top. Now I have to ctrl+f Destiny to locate it :(

Trakan

PD did a podcast with some crucible guys from Bungie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZVfDvXrb34

"Gunslingers were getting more kills with tripmines than Warlocks were with firebolts."

They really have no idea what they're doing. It's apples to oranges. They have nothing to do with one another. Firebolts were not OP because they were getting too many kills. It was about how long they burned, took you out of the action by stopping shield regen, and allowed people to track you through walls.

I'm sure shoulder charge gets way more kills than the throwing knife. Time to nerf the throwing knife!

LTWood12

PD did a podcast with some crucible guys from Bungie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZVfDvXrb34

"Gunslingers were getting more kills with tripmines than Warlocks were with firebolts."

They really have no idea what they're doing. It's apples to oranges. They have nothing to do with one another. Firebolts were not OP because they were getting too many kills. It was about how long they burned, took you out of the action by stopping shield regen, and allowed people to track you through walls.

I'm sure shoulder charge gets way more kills than the throwing knife. Time to nerf the throwing knife!

Things like this really make it seem like the folks making the call don't actually play the game.

darthbob

It's because of quotes like that that make me realize that Bungie's understanding of balance comes in the form of pure numbers, graphs, and spreadsheets. At least that's how it feels.

Oof, that's rough. No wonder they couldn't figure out how to nerf firebolts.

Mindlog

Will have to listen to the full podcast because taken out of context like this that sounds dumb as f a little silly.
Less than 3 minutes in:
Diversity
That's a funny line to draw. The problem is that if any of the 'diverse' options become successful then that will be addressed to re-introduce 'diversity.'

Clearly diversity is winning. Pay no attention to Trials that doesn't count.

Arrrammis

It's possible that they tracked the kills from the DoT burn separately from the grenade kills, since the DoT was originally only a melee thing, then you got a perk that let grenades have the DoT. Firebolt grenades almost never kill people on hit, it's almost always the burn that gets them. In CoE, the burn from firebolts don't count as grenade kills, so it's possible. If Bungie did actually track them separately,
bd8aca4aea0830b9585988813cef3e77.jpg

It's absolutely stupid if they did calculate the number of grenade kills like this.

Kalamari

After listening to just the beginning of the podcast, the changes they actually make sense if you follow their approach and goal for the game as a whole. Bungie seems more interested in making options viable rather than balanced, even though viewing the game in a perspective of balance would make more sense. Thus, their reference to the changes as a "tuning pass" rather than a "balancing patch", it doesn't seem like they have any interest in balancing, just buffing/nerfing stuff that is underused/overused.

Oh boy. Just listened to the interview and when they talked about the tripmine nerf it just further cemented that I do not agree with their tuning philosophy at all and I don't think they understand their own game or its players at a satisfactory level. Tripmines got more kills because they had the ability to be OHK compared to firebolts which were not. Just because people hated firebolts doesn't mean you need to bring down other stuff seen as "better." The comments about the role tripmines should/did fulfill were off base as well imo when examined alongside the changes. Before they were somewhat versatile, but using them offensively or defensively was less effective than a fusion grenade or a lightning grenade respectively. If they wanted them to be defensive grenades they should have buffed the damage instead of nerfing it, because even before someone at full health and armor could run in front of one and survive. Titan lightning grenades meanwhile are a great defensive grenade because they do lots of damage, pulse a few times, and have a huge radius.

Pejo

So I updated the game last night and some friends and I got back into the game and did a run of King's Fall for old times sake. I see a fair amount has been added since I last logged in (October of 2015). A few questions:

- I see I've been given some free silver. Are the new loot boxes the best thing to spend on, if I'm not interested in emotes?
- What's the quickest way to get my light level up to the new average? I'm currently at 302 from having a fair amount of King's Fall loot (just poor rolls on light number on them).
- What are the best things to be concentrating on from a weekly perspective? I assume Nightfalls are worth it, but not sure what else I should be doing besides that.
- I remember reading about Sparrow League racing, but can't find anything in-game about it. Was it a limited time thing?

Thanks in advance!

Mindlog

Tripmines: We want them to be a trap you have to carefully place.
Swarm Grenades: We want them to be looked at as a useless Tripmine.

However, that wasn't my favorite part. My favorite part was the desire to INCREASE predictability.

Is anyone out there confused by what's going to happen in PvP 3s? What's the path to make PvP more predictable?

Kalamari

Properly balancing a game would require too much work it for Bungie it seems, the analysis and game-time required could be outside their skill sets. Better to stick to their core competencies, such as coming up with pretentious explanations that support whatever changes their faulty "tuning" philosophy deems necessary.

FyreWulff

It's because of quotes like that that make me realize that Bungie's understanding of balance comes in the form of pure numbers, graphs, and spreadsheets. At least that's how it feels.

Don't think it's that. It feels like a lot of their Halo-era desires for balancing.

I don't agree with all the changes they've made with that statement, mind - but that's what it feels like to me. They were always publically annoyed that the earlier Halo games ended up with One True Gun syndrome, so they rebuilt the sandbox for later games with efforts to get more of the sandbox used. One of the reasons Reach had such a consolidated sandbox was to try and cut out a lot of the accumulated sandbox fat but also get more eyeballs on evening out the balancing. On paper they succeeded, even if the execution of using bloom to do it probably didn't work out for the more hardcore base - in retrospect, I expect they would have just RoF locked the DMR.

That's carrying over to Destiny, where it seems like they're specifically trying to even out weapon and archetype usage. They saw it happen with Ballerhorn again so they got flashbacks to their previous Halo sandbox slights and are clamping down on anything tilting the game too far in one direction. Same with them reducing the heavy brick ammo count, they were obviously trying to bring RLs and MGs in line with each other for PvP kill count potential so people felt like they had more of a choice.

However, they're also willing to back off of decisions (eventually) with Destiny that don't pan out, so this is why you don't see me getting worked up as much as I did with Halo : p

So I updated the game last night and some friends and I got back into the game and did a run of King's Fall for old times sake. I see a fair amount has been added since I last logged in (October of 2015). A few questions:

- What's the quickest way to get my light level up to the new average?
- I remember reading about Sparrow League racing, but can't find anything in-game about it. Was it a limited time thing?

Thanks in advance!

Crucible is pretty good for getting better gear. The new Prison of Elders and Challenge of Elders give you some good high level gear. Doing the raid on hard mode and doing the challenges each week gets you high level as well.

Ahh SLR. The dream. An event that isn't Iron Banner. Good times.

Arrrammis

- I see I've been given some free silver. Are the new loot boxes the best thing to spend on, if I'm not interested in emotes?
- What's the quickest way to get my light level up to the new average? I'm currently at 302 from having a fair amount of King's Fall loot (just poor rolls on light number on them).
- What are the best things to be concentrating on from a weekly perspective? I assume Nightfalls are worth it, but not sure what else I should be doing besides that.

Thanks in advance!
- The stuff you can buy is just cosmetics really. Loot boxes will have some armor you can infuse up if you want (it starts at 3 light) or some chroma which applies different colored lights on certain armor (armor from loot boxes and faction packages). There are also some other packages that you can buy from earlier, personally I'd go for the SRL package. You can get a cool looking Sparrow as well as some funny horns to use while riding around.
- You can actually get to max light by doing basically anything. You'll get good light gear by doing the weekly endgame stuff, but for the most part crucible and vanguard strikes work well. Packages from factions/vanguard/crucible can drop up to 6 light above your current overall light, so farming them works pretty well too.
- For weekly stuff, you can do the nightfall, but it's not always worth it (especially once you hit light level 330). Challenge of Elders is pretty good, since you get one weapon and one piece of armor per week from Variks, as well as a chance at secondary weapons and ghosts from the Challenge itself. The raid is probably the best boost you'll get, since gear can drop up to 6 light above your current overall (that's the general rule of thumb for legendary drops).
-Sparrow Racing League was a limited time thing in December, and a lot of people want it to come back. It was cool and had some exclusive armor/shaders/etc. that a few people are annoyed that they can't get anymore.

NeOak

Doesn't work, it is RNG. Some previously claimed that equipping a Y1 item would increase the odds. Hasn't stopped me from getting chests from factions consistently even though I'm wearing a 335 chest.

I had something close to this happen. All my armor slots were full except for my boots, but my weapon slots still had space. I turned in the Dead Orbit package after ranking up and got boots. Might be more of a coincidence than the system working as you described.

Edit: I was always so use to this thread naturally being on top. Now I have to ctrl+f Destiny to locate it :(

That is what the subscriptions are for!

Let's try this again...

Tomorrow, 5:15pm eastern (or 15 mins after the event begins - LATE START FOR BUNGIE MAINTENANCE)

Tyler's Banner Train - all are welcome

tylertrain.jpg

Manp

i think it's funny.

when Bungie nerfs or changes something we suspect they have no clue what they're doing.

when they try to explain why the nerfed or changed that something we are certain they have no clue what they're doing.

Top Bottom