• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

Hedera

Finally undying mind is the NF again...

(reads modifiers)

NOPE.

No imago farming from me unfortunately. It's actually the one item I'd be willing to farm for a bit.

Tjamato88

Has anyone else had any issues with the Vita headset on their PS4? I was playing last night and I can hear just fine but I can't communicate at all.

Why do people play rift if they don't plan on following the objective? We lost and the top player on out team had 42 kills, 0 carries or attempts to get the spark.

I played a few games-- a few of which my team of randos seemed to totally click and dominated the other team, another very close game (1k points), and a few like yours. In one of the latter, three people immediately joined team chat, so I did. The promise of coordination was quickly shattered by the reality of five people camping our rift or needlessly besieging Fortress Black Shield.

Marvel

could never
Anyone around need or want to help me with Fears embrace quest for touch of malice? It's kicking my ass solo.

PSN: Assassio

If you do

Arrrammis

Nightfall is Undying mind - grounded, match game, catapult and trickle. RIP imago farm.

Heroic strike modifiers - Void burn, fresh troops and catapult.

CoE is Super kill bonus - Berserk and juggler.

Nightfall: NOPE!
Heroics: My infinite grenades voidwalker is ready.

Not too jazzed about the modifiers on NF or CoE. Guess its a good week to finish up all the Heroic Strikes I need for this FWC exotic cloak though.

Looks like its gonna be just IB and Heroic strikes this week for me!

Ji66a-Man

Bungie plz, what were they thinking with this week's NF modifiers? Here's your positive modifier (Catapult) that is completely negated by Trickle.

Do we know the rolls on the scout?
No one knows until IB starts. They don't tell us before hand, so the only way to find out is by checking Saladins inventory when IB goes live. So you won't be able to find the rolls until 5 eastern, which is when the maintenance ends.

BokehKing

Banned
Been letting my ps4 destiny collect dust because I got an elite controller for my Xbox One and been playing Destiny on there with my cousin. (6 guardian maintence come Rise of Iron will be tough)

Did our Xbox community grow any larger in the last 6 months?

Ji66a-Man

Been letting my ps4 destiny collect dust because I got an elite controller for my Xbox One and been playing Destiny on there with my cousin. (6 guardian maintence come Rise of Iron will be tough)

It's barely alive on DGAF.

I don't think it has. Most posts still tend to be PS4. Even PS4 is struggling for players for some content around here. Content drought is real.

I remember back when this game was friggin NASTY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbaZy4XhdmM sogood.gif

Damn, playing with Silky and the Errl bros? Bringing back all the memories now. The real question is why weren't JW and I there?

Btw this is what Thorn scrubs look like when trying to kill people: miss most of your shots, fail your melee then wait for the DoT to give them a heart attack:

giphy.gif

Arrrammis

I remember back when this game was friggin NASTY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbaZy4XhdmM sogood.gif

I am really happy those days are gone. Getting killed halfway across the map by a perfectly rolled Felwinter's Lie or getting 2-shotted by Thorn was the most toxic meta that we've had in Destiny IMO. The base game was pretty balanced, auto rifles were heavily favored because they were easy to use, but using hand cannons (Hawkmoon FTW!) I was able to out DPS most Suros Regime users. At least right now everything is pretty balanced again, there are a few people constantly sniping or shotgunning, but for the most part people switch it up constantly. Snipers aren't really a problem for the most part, a lot of maps are too close range for snipers/scout rifles to be the optimal weapon, plus all maps have several routes that you can attack from. If you keep running around the same corner looking down a long hallway then getting rekt by a sniper over and over again, that's not really the meta's fault.

The only improvements I can think of for the current meta is to buff legendary hand cannons to get rid of the ghost rounds and then slightly buff high impact Auto/Pulse/Scout rifle. Maybe make the targets screen shake more when they get hit by a higher damage round, increase range compared to their fast-firing counterparts, something like that.

spyder_ur

I am really happy those days are gone. Getting killed halfway across the map by a perfectly rolled Felwinter's Lie or getting 2-shotted by Thorn was the most toxic meta that we've had in Destiny IMO. The base game was pretty balanced, auto rifles were heavily favored because they were easy to use, but using hand cannons (Hawkmoon FTW!) I was able to out DPS most Suros Regime users. At least right now everything is pretty balanced again, there are a few people constantly sniping or shotgunning, but for the most part people switch it up constantly. Snipers aren't really a problem for the most part, a lot of maps are too close range for snipers/scout rifles to be the optimal weapon, plus all maps have several routes that you can attack from. If you keep running around the same corner looking down a long hallway then getting rekt by a sniper over and over again, that's not really the meta's fault.

The only improvements I can think of for the current meta is to buff legendary hand cannons to get rid of the ghost rounds and then slightly buff high impact Auto/Pulse/Scout rifle. Maybe make the targets screen shake more when they get hit by a higher damage round, increase range compared to their fast-firing counterparts, something like that.

I mostly agree - the fact that people long for the Thorn days is a sign of serious Rose
(get it?)
tinted glasses. Disagree slightly about Snipers. I feel they're a bit strong, but part of that is just that people have gotten too good with them and know the maps front and back so they know exactly where heads are going to be. I just wish there were more ways to stagger/interrupt snipers. The amount of times I get the jump on one, put a few bullets into them, they turn around and snipe me perfectly in the head can be frustrating. One of the (unintended?) consequences of all the things they nerf is that they were some of the best counters against snipers - MIDA, Thorn, some of the grenades, etc.

PD did a podcast with some crucible guys from Bungie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZVfDvXrb34

"Gunslingers were getting more kills with tripmines than Warlocks were with firebolts."

They really have no idea what they're doing. It's apples to oranges. They have nothing to do with one another. Firebolts were not OP because they were getting too many kills. It was about how long they burned, took you out of the action by stopping shield regen, and allowed people to track you through walls.

I'm sure shoulder charge gets way more kills than the throwing knife. Time to nerf the throwing knife!
VRsFD-.gif

THE NUMBERS MASON WHAT DO THEY MEANNNNN

TBH Thorn wasn't that big of an issue back then because you could compete with it if you had TLW or Hawkmoon, as those two were just as powerful in their own rights. In that meta there was a LOT more variety. You had the big three exotic HCs, messenger, hopscotch, a few leg. HCs, red death, etc. Now it's mostly Mida and eyasluna with a little bit of other things. It's so boring. Also back then supers didn't feel as cheap as some of they do now. And we had connection based MM then. That alone makes it a better time than now.

Arrrammis

I mostly agree - the fact that people long for the Thorn days is a sign of serious Rose
(get it?)
tinted glasses. Disagree slightly about Snipers. I feel they're a bit strong, but part of that is just that people have gotten too good with them and know the maps front and back so they know exactly where heads are going to be. I just wish there were more ways to stagger/interrupt snipers. The amount of times I get the jump on one, put a few bullets into them, they turn around and snipe me perfectly in the head can be frustrating. One of the (unintended?) consequences of all the things they nerf is that they were some of the best counters against snipers - MIDA, Thorn, some of the grenades, etc.

10/10 lore pun

I'll agree that snipers can be really annoying when they instantly headshot you, but it's still nothing compared to HenryLovesPies' patented One-shot bodyshot of enragement strategy.
bJ8xIsv.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvN41sqXowI (language warning)

Worth a watch. The age of Strikers is over, the age of the Defender has come!

spyder_ur

TBH Thorn wasn't that big of an issue back then because you could compete with it if you had TLW or Hawkmoon, as those two were just as powerful in their own rights. In that meta there was a LOT more variety. You had the big three exotic HCs, messenger, hopscotch, a few leg. HCs, red death, etc. Now it's mostly Mida and eyasluna with a little bit of other things. It's so boring. Also back then supers didn't feel as cheap as some of they do now. And we had connection based MM then. That alone makes it a better time than now.

I don't think this is the case at all. I see way more diversity in primaries at least - talking mostly in Trials. 9/10 people would have an exotic HC before TTK. Now, you see plenty of pulses (Hawksaw, Grasp, PDX), Exotic HCs, MIDA, and the bullet hose ARs. I'm probably forgetting some.

I don't see that many Eyasluna at all.

I don't think this is the case at all. I see way more diversity in primaries at least - talking mostly in Trials. 9/10 people would have an exotic HC before TTK. Now, you see plenty of pulses (Hawksaw, Grasp, PDX), Exotic HCs, MIDA, and the bullet hose ARs. I'm probably forgetting some.

I don't see that many Eyasluna at all.
Bullet hose ARs got nerfed and aren't very reliable. Exotic HCs are kinda scarce(at least in my experience). So that leaves Mida and the fast firing pulses. Still not as much variety(Imo) as HoW, plus the weapons in HoW we're way more fun than what we have now.

Edit: yeah there were a lot of exotic HCs, but people soon started gravitating towards things like Messenger, Red Death, and a bunch of other weapons.

Trakan

I disagree about weapon variety but I couldn't agree more about the matchmaking. I'd go back to that PVP no question.

Dez_

10/10 lore pun

I'll agree that snipers can be really annoying when they instantly headshot you, but it's still nothing compared to HenryLovesPies' patented One-shot bodyshot of enragement strategy.
bJ8xIsv.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvN41sqXowI (language warning)

Worth a watch. The age of Strikers is over, the age of the Defender has come!

Hilarious video. It took me a while to realize the robot voice was saying "motherfuckers" lol. Mutherfickas...

I may want to try out using defender titan, if only for the suppression grenades. I never really used those in pvp before. They look useful.

I hit 37 last night, just in time for Iron Banner. I'll be able to hit 40 pretty quickly after a couple of bounties and popping a Focused Light.

Apparently, that Red Bull Code Generator from last year still works. I haven't seen the actual cans around for awhile, but decided to see if the codes worked because I wanted the 50% XP Focused Light consumable.

Is it still maintenance time? If so, for how long?
(I wish I could get answers for such questions every time from the bungie.net front page, but I guess that would be madness...)

SonComet

It was fun.

The exotic handcannons need some tweaking and shot package had to go but other than that...

Too much nerfing. Weekly Gunslinger nerf rage! #tripmineswerenotop
All they had to do to save the old meta was revert the auto rifle and fusion nerfs, revert the thorn buff, and then remove the bonus damage procing in error on ADS on the last word. Then we would have had Suros, thorn, TLW, hawkmoon, messenger, hopscotch, and the mythoclast as viable and very fun primaries. This meta almost existed before autos and fusions were destroyed early in HoW. It was my favorite.

Is it still maintenance time? If so, for how long?
(I wish I could get answers for such questions every time from the bungie.net front page, but I guess that would be madness...)

Another 4 hours scheduled.

PVP towards the end of HoW was the worst ever. Everything was insta-kill with cod levels of ttk.

As for the matchmaking, as far as I know it has always been skill based. The only time there was ever connection based was in Y1 trials. The problem with skill based in Y2 was that when the player population took a nose dive in nov/Dec it became massively noticeable . Player numbers throughout Y1 were always high enough that it was rarely an issue. Bungie just kept refining it over time and now what we have is skill based with some connection preferences but such a low playerbase that it doesn't make a difference if the only 12 people available for a match are each in a different time zone

Top Bottom