• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

SnakeEyes

Banned
what do i do to get my light up
or in general

points are
280 on primary
260 shotty
244 heavy
213 ghost
255 helm
255 gauntlet
255 plate
233 legs
245 cloak
235 artifact

gaf carry me :V
Strikes, which will prep you for Nightfalls, which will prep you for Raids.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
what do i do to get my light up
or in general

points are
280 on primary
260 shotty
244 heavy
213 ghost
255 helm
255 gauntlet
255 plate
233 legs
245 cloak
235 artifact

gaf carry me :V

In general the process is:

1.) Collect encrypted engrams. These can be from regular strikes, patrols, PvP, you name it.

2.) Put on your absolute highest light score equipment, even if it isn't what you normally use.

3.) Decrypt one item. Check if that item raises your light score. If it does, equip it. Proceed to decrypt the next item and repeat this process until all items are decrypted.

4.) Go re-equip whatever it is you would actually use out in the world.

5.) Go back to step 1.

The game decrypts new items based on your current light score, so just repeating this process will raise your light score very quickly. I went from 219 (right when I hit Level 40) to 290 in about 8-10 hours, and I wasn't being efficient for a lot of that given I was avoiding quests so as to stay with my friend progress wise.

Side Note: Go talk to Xur in the side room in The Reef and see if there's any exotic item you want. Remember, you can only have one exotic weapon and one exotic armor piece at a time.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
How in the world did that guy on their team get the highest score. He's like the Breezy of that team.

8HTKzgj.png

X_X
tried it
250 and
rip

my light isnt enough is it
If you have a high enough rank (vanguard or crucible) buying a legendary ghost is a good first purchase with your legendary marks. Completing some of the Taken King quest lines gives marks as does daily story and crucible.

Your 213 ghost is holding you back so focus on getting that replaced.

Soulflarz

Banned
In general the process is:

1.) Collect encrypted engrams. These can be from regular strikes, patrols, PvP, you name it.

2.) Put on your absolute highest light score equipment, even if it isn't what you normally use.

3.) Decrypt one item. Check if that item raises your light score. If it does, equip it. Proceed to decrypt the next item and repeat this process until all items are decrypted.

4.) Go re-equip whatever it is you would actually use out in the world.

5.) Go back to step 1.

The game decrypts new items based on your current light score, so just repeating this process will raise your light score very quickly. I went from 219 (right when I hit Level 40) to 290 in about 8-10 hours, and I wasn't being efficient for a lot of that given I was avoiding quests so as to stay with my friend progress wise.

Side Note: Go talk to Xur in the side room in The Reef and see if there's any exotic item you want. Remember, you can only have one exotic weapon and one exotic armor piece at a time.

If you have a high enough rank (vanguard or crucible) buying a legendary ghost is a good first purchase with your legendary marks. Completing some of the Taken King quest lines gives marks as does daily story and crucible.

Your 213 ghost is holding you back so focus on getting that replaced.

T-thanks guys
so go get legendary marks in a bit, got it :3

also, I'm guessing light scales everything? As in, a 300 wep and 200 gear means I'll be doing less damage than if I had 300 armor, regardless of logic?

also im rep 2 vanguard from 1.0
I played 1.0 so no grind here will faze me at all.

shermas

You talking about the All Games section?

In the Companion App, go to Forums/Recruitment. Then filter by the activity you're trying to run. Raids, for me, have been the best way to meet people because you're stuck working together for an hour or more... I can quickly find a CoE group, as well. Or NF.

Xbone folk in this thread are few and far between.

More newbie questions:
1. What are "trains" that are talked about in the last page or two of this thread?
2. What is a raid?
3. Are uncommon items things I should use even if I have higher rated items in corresponding categories?

Dez_

Good games. Spent most of my time in IB using the noblesse scout rifle. Not that great of a roll, but the hidden hand perk seemed pretty noticeable and was really able to make a lot of gun fights work in my favor... Provided if I could stay at a certain range. Was kind of refreshing to use, even if I still prefer my Nirewn pulse.

Been a long 3 months, and time to get back into it with the approaching expansion. Is there anything new outside of the PoE update that I missed in the meantime?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Spot on train.

Got my sixth longbow. Good enough to keep. Now I have three keepers with good rolls and one of each element. First rank five item is IB launcher with crappy rolls.

Frenden

Banned
More newbie questions:
1. What are "trains" that are talked about in the last page or two of this thread?
2. What is a raid?
3. Are uncommon items things I should use even if I have higher rated items in corresponding categories?

1. The term trains is colloquialism we use to describe teaming up for long stretches with other players here to play PvP.

2. Raids are a co-op mission for a fireteam of six people that have more intense, more involved mechanics than regular story or strike levels. They, ideally, drop endgame loot--loot that is more powerful or higher level than many other sources.

3. Generally speaking, no. Purple items and Gold items are usually going to outperform Blue, Green, or White items--especially in high level content or in PvP when level differences are enabled (Iron Banner and Trials).

Soulflarz

Banned
why is heroics with randoms so bad
2 always have a lot of kills, one has sub 10 in 20m, you die on boss eventually obviously, other good guy quits, group has wasted 20m of my time
:/

Foxxsoxx

Does anyone else wish there were slider settings for ADS options? It's been 2 years almost and I still am not over that sensitivity is uniform.

Dthomp

Thanks for the games everybody. Feel like for the first time during IB I actually held my own for the most part

SlickVic

I think this Wolves Gambit mission has been by far the hardest story mission of the game I've played up to this point. Felt like you only have 5 seconds to kill each oracle with a horde of enemies trying to shoot you down before getting insta-killed by not shooting down the Oracle fast enough. Would've figured an auto rife with 197 damage would make quick work of each Oracle, but nope. Don't know how the recommended level is only 20.

Acidote

Nah, game acting weird. Went to orbit and returned and still had only 1 bounty. Then I completely logged out and when I logged back in there they were.

T-thanks guys
so go get legendary marks in a bit, got it :3

also, I'm guessing light scales everything? As in, a 300 wep and 200 gear means I'll be doing less damage than if I had 300 armor, regardless of logic?

In PvE your overall light level is used as a gate-- if your are too low you are punished. Once your overall light is appropriate for the content then some scaling based on each weapon's attack/LL happens. Ability damage is scaled with overall light level. It is more complicated than this, of course.

jacket320

Might be a stupid question - I am returning after a break for a few months: can you finish multiple CoE tickets per week or is it a one time, 'finish and move on to other activities' kind of thing? Thanks!

Might be a stupid question - I am returning after a break for a few months: can you finish multiple CoE tickets per week or is it a one time, 'finish and move on to other activities' kind of thing? Thanks!
The weapon/armor rewards for getting 30000/90000 scores are once per character per week, but you can keep doing it for class items, ghosts and HoW exotics as post-game drops.

The armour and weapons from completing the ticket are one per character per week. But you can run it as many times as you want a week for the end rewards. Chance at any of the 3 prison exotics, up to 335 ghost and class item.

1. The term trains is colloquialism we use to describe teaming up for long stretches with other players here to play PvP.

2. Raids are a co-op mission for a fireteam of six people that have more intense, more involved mechanics than regular story or strike levels. They, ideally, drop endgame loot--loot that is more powerful or higher level than many other sources.

3. Generally speaking, no. Purple items and Gold items are usually going to outperform Blue, Green, or White items--especially in high level content or in PvP when level differences are enabled (Iron Banner and Trials).

Thank you.

Top Bottom