• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

Trakan

I'll keep saying this over and over again, but no more nerfs. Bungie doesn't know how to reasonably nerf. We need weapons to be brought up. Year 2 is already slow as fuck compared to the fantastic year 1.

Pulse rifles were nerfed twice and are still top tier. The Doctrine was nerfed and is still top tier. The Mida was nerfed and is still top tier. Snipers were nerfed and they're still the best weapons in the game.

When one thing is broken or overpowered, you can't buff ten things to compensate. Hey, the Mythoclast was pretty OP, better buff everything in the game to compete with it. When Sunbreakers were considered OP, we shouldn't have just nerfed that one subclass. We should have given more hyper armor to the other eight supers in the game.

Pulse rifles were nerfed twice and are still top tier. The Doctrine was nerfed and is still top tier. Snipers were nerfed and they're still the best weapons in the game.

When one thing is broken or overpowered, you can't buff ten things to compensate. Hey, the Mythoclast was pretty OP, better buff everything in the game to compete with it. When Sunbreakers were considered OP, we shouldn't have just nerfed that one subclass. We should have given more hyper armor to the other eight supers in the game.
Well, first off, it was the low and medium ROF pulses that were nerfed, iirc, so the current pulse meta, which is the high ROF ones, wouldn't have been changed. Also, doctrine is not top tier, it's good, but not top tier, there are so many weapons that beat it now, and you're at a disadvantage with it now because of the serious damage falloff. And the sniper nerfs they did were never gonna change anything, because the things they nerfed weren't the problems, Ammo, stability, and scope zoom weren't the problem.

He's not saying buff everything to be OP, but instead of killing everything they touch, how about try something different and buff the weaker things to allow them to counter snipers.

When something is blatantly overpowered, like sunbreakers or the Mythoclast, then they should nerf it, but snipers aren't blatantly OP, they are just in a rough situation, and it's debatable what needs to be tweaked and how much it needs to be tweaked.

So many of their nerfs are terrible and Bungie needs to lessen the amount of nerfing they do, like Hawkmoon, poor, poor Hawkmoon. And don't get me started on TLW nerf to hip fire.

Pulse rifles were nerfed twice and are still top tier. The Doctrine was nerfed and is still top tier. The Mida was nerfed and is still top tier. Snipers were nerfed and they're still the best weapons in the game.

The only reason those guns are "top tier" in the current meta is because of how bad everything else is. Nothing is above mediocre. The meta is stale and boring because of how much everything has been nerfed. I dont agree with more nerfs. I hate scatter nades and legitimately think they are OP as fuck because they are the most forgiving nades ever to get a kill with but you havent seen me asking for it to be nerfed because jesus, enough nerfs.

Also Mythoclast, Sunbreakers, 111 ADS TLW headshot etc are things that are clear cut that need to be nerfed. They are not comparable.

Trakan

Well, first off, it was the low and medium ROF pulses that were nerfed, iirc, so the current pulse meta, which is the high ROF ones, wouldn't have been changed. Also, doctrine is not top tier, it's good, but not top tier, there are so many weapons that beat it now, and you're at a disadvantage with it now because of the serious damage falloff. And the sniper nerfs they did were never gonna change anything, because the things they nerfed weren't the problems, Ammo, stability, and scope zoom weren't the problem.

He's not saying buff everything to be OP, but instead of killing everything they touch, how about try something different and buff the weaker things to allow them to counter snipers.

When something is blatantly overpowered, like sunbreakers or the Mythoclast, then they should nerf it, but snipers aren't blatantly OP, they are just in a rough situation, and it's debatable what needs to be tweaked and how much it needs to be tweaked.

So many of their nerfs are terrible and Bungie needs to lessen the amount of nerfing they do, like Hawkmoon, poor, poor Hawkmoon. And don't get me started on TLW nerf to hip fire.

Every archetype of pulse rifle was changed. They all used to do more damage and had more range/accuracy. I used to use Timepiece before the nerfs and it was way better than a Grasp is now.

If you made a top 5 primary weapons of PVP right now, the Doctrine would be on it. It's still a great weapon, they just removed the ridiculous pulse/scout range it had.

As for snipers, I think they're far more broken than anything that's ever been in the game. It has almost single-handedly ruined PVP for me. Bring back Sunbreakers, Y1 Bladedancers, and Sunsinger Firebolts. The current state of sniper rifles is far more infuriating to deal with than any of that.

Also Mythoclast, Sunbreakers, 111 ADS TLW headshot etc are things that are clear cut that need to be nerfed. They are not comparable.

The ADS 111 TLW thing was a bug. Not comparable to the other two I brought up. I think snipers are clear cut more broken than any other problem that PVP has ever had.

The only reason those guns are "top tier" in the current meta is because of how bad everything else is. Nothing is above mediocre. The meta is stale and boring because of how much everything has been nerfed. I dont agree with more nerfs. I hate scatter nades and legitimately think they are OP as fuck because they are the most forgiving nades ever to get a kill with but you havent seen me asking for it to be nerfed because jesus, enough nerfs.

Yeah.

The thing about balance in Destiny compared to other games is that it's cyclical in a bad way. Pulse Rifles are top tier because everything else was nerfed to oblivion. And when Pulse Rifles get nerfed, I'm sure that another primary will become top tier. Repeat ad nausem.

And that's not fun. I reckon that current weapons are weaker now than they were in year 1, comparatively.

Why Bungie has this mentality of 'nerf what's fun and effective' in a way that affects PvE as well, it's stupid. It's the one thing that's stopping me from wanting to get the next expansion or continue supporting such trash balance. And every day that goes by, I see a new game coming out around the same time that makes me say 'Yeah Destiny isn't doing it for me. I don't need to continue supporting this nonsense.'

Simbo

Neo Member
So the Shaxx quest line (to unlock his weekly bounties) triggered on one of my alts for some reason. Annoying but not the end of the world.

Anyway I went back to Shaxx to see him after completing the step where you have to get 9 points in the daily or weekly playlist. However when I did that the next step hasn't triggered.

Any ideas what I've got to do?!

Daemul

Pulse Rifles top tier? lol wat? They're far worse now then they were pre-patch 1.1.1, when nobody was using them because of how bad they were. They aren't the only primary weapons that have regressed sadly, they've all been neutered to oblivion. The primary's that used to keep snipers and shotguns in check are gone and thus there has been massive rise in the dominance of secondary weapons. We have people running around in PvP with a Universal Remote+Sniper combo because it's far more effective than equiping a primary for fuck sake, that how bad things have gotten.

My general thoughts on this months IB.

Fuck snipers, fuck Stormcallers, fuck end of match rewards and fuck snipers!

Feels good to vent, now back to it.

I'm right there with you. But less on snipers, more on Stormcallers. I hate that shit. It's the vacuum cleaner of doom. Punks skating around sucking up all your fun.

Tendo

Its been ages since I have played. I had switched from PS4 to Xbone and just hit 30 and working on finishing story content. Anyone have a current link or rundown to how to endgame after that? Haven't played heavily since expansion one on PS4.

I don't play much PVP, but thought I would say a few things about sniping anyway.

In PVE, if you're hardscoping and anything shoots you, a shank, doesn't matter, your aim bounces around like crazy and you can't hit your target.
Even if you pull the trigger as the reticle passes over their head, you usually miss the target entirely.

Why then in PVP does that not happen?
I thought Bungie wanted your guardian, weapons, abilities to all be the same wherever you chose to play, but that's not the case here.
The only weapon that could disrupt a Sniper by flinching them to an extent similar to PVE was the MIDA, nerfed!

E92 M3

You've already had a lot of good answers, but I never meant to just blindly buff everything and of course excluding the obvious OP/broken stuff like you mentioned.

The game has slowed down considerably, and it can't just be blamed on the snipers.

I would say Suncallers and Bladedancers are just as bad, i would say i think the Stormtrance lasts too long though.

A lot of people panic instead of taking out their sniper and popping the stormcaller or at least bodying him. The roaming supers aren't that bad if people actually team shoot.

--

In general, it takes a lot of practice to be a good sniper. The "it aims for you" is all BS. Yes, there is AA, but try challenging a very good sniper in trials and you'd be done. It is very evident who has mastered the weapon and who has not. Just because it's easier to use, doesn't mean everyone is good with it. In fact, I'd say the majority are not confident in their snipe game.

Arrrammis

IMO crucible is pretty well balanced right now. I can usually beat out snipers using a scout rifle or my trusty Bad Juju, I rarely see those quickscopes or no scopes that people keep posting about. A lot of people that complain about snipers, (with a few exceptions like some of the gifs that were posted) keep running through the same door or alley where they were sniped previously, somehow expecting that this time, they won't get headshotted by a sniper focusing on this obvious lane. I think that the high impact weapons could use a slight buff (maybe have them cause more flinch?) to give them a different usage than the low impact variety, but still make them useful. I'll agree that special weapons are more powerful than primaries right now, but for the most part I think that's ok. They should be stronger in given situations, since you don't have infinite ammo like you do with primaries. I think it would be interesting to see another slight ammo nerf, maybe just give you no special at the beginning of a crucible match. Then, suddenly the special spawns become even more important, and being able to sneak in and take the enemy special can be a game-changing move.

E92 M3

IMO the game is pretty well balanced right now. I can usually beat out snipers using a scout rifle or my trusty Bad Juju, I rarely see those quickscopes or no scopes that people keep posting about. A lot of people that complain about snipers, (with a few exceptions like some of the gifs that were posted) keep running through the same door or alley where they were sniped previously, somehow expecting that this time, they won't get headshotted by a sniper focusing on this obvious lane. I think that the high impact weapons could use a slight buff (maybe have them cause more flinch?) to give them a different usage than the low impact variety, but still make them useful. I'll agree that special weapons are more powerful than primaries right now, but for the most part I think that's ok. They should be stronger in given situations, since you don't have infinite ammo like you do with primaries. I think it would be interesting to see another slight ammo nerf, maybe just give you no special at the beginning of a crucible match. Then, suddenly the special spawns become even more important, and being able to sneak in and take the enemy special can be a game-changing move.

Spawning with no special is horrendous. Absolutely boring.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
You are playing as guardians with super natural powers and all sorts. If you want more realism go get your Halos and CODs on.

IB train?

Kalamari

I played around a little with the Scout that Saladshooter is selling along with one that has Zen Moment, Injection Mold, and HH, and I honestly think I like the Zen Moment/Injection Mold combo better for reduced recoil. The reduced range doesn't bother me that much and the reduction in recoil is noticeable. I think Zen Moment is kinda underrated when it comes to recoil reduction.

I think I still like Jade Rabbit and Mida over both of them.

I'd like to see what would happen is specials and heavy were treated as tier 1 and tier 2 power weapons, respectively (tier 2 being more powerful). This is actually what I thought Bungie meant when they first described to system.

You start the match with neither, and ammo crates are treated as on map weapon pick ups. Opening an ammo crate gives that ammo to the person that opened it; it is not shared to all in proximity. Special is spread around the map in numerous key locations, and would be on a shorter timer. Heavy would spawn in on a longer timer in a single power or control position, or perhaps two main control positions on the map.

A system like this creates a natural combat flow on the map, as special crate locations become key points of contention. Likewise, heavy locations require a team to get control of that location and set up prior to the drop. Not sharing the ammo means you may only have a few people at once running around with shotguns and snipers. This actually addresses the problem with their power: the relative ease of use of the sniper and power and range of the shotgun can remain since their use would be limited to a few instead of every player in the game running around with them as their primary weapon. Of course this means that ammo would not persist through death.

A system like this would actually increase the effectiveness and importance of exotics such as universal remote (not that it needs it) and no land beyond. They would have an even more "exotic" feeling.

Of course, this would be a substantial departure from the norm that we have all adopted over nearly two years, so I'd guess reception would would not be favorable at all, initially. After all, Destiny really isn't designed as a competitve game; they want all player to feel good and powerful, and I'm sure it's less fun for some if they can't snipe or shotgun whenever they want. Indeed, it is possible a player would never get the ammo to do so, with that role being relegated to the better players on their team that can control the map power positions and stay alive.

I just think it would be interesting to see how it plays out, and how the player base would react. Perhaps it could be tried out in its own playlist first similar to inferno so that the player base could aclimate to it.

IMO crucible is pretty well balanced right now. I can usually beat out snipers using a scout rifle or my trusty Bad Juju, I rarely see those quickscopes or no scopes that people keep posting about.

Me either— but I know I am not in the top tier of players and the SBMM keeps me away from them (and my skill tier is big enough to not suffer constant red-bars).

As much shit as SBMM gets from people who suffer from being in a small pool at the top, it promotes a fun experience for those of us lower down.

Spawning with no special is horrendous. Absolutely boring.

Stealing special in 3s is amazing and truly turns the flow of matches. I've spent a good chunk of today playing salvage to grind out the last of my grimoire (only 8 wins to go) and it was amazing seeing the difference it made. Take frontier for example, there are 4 special ammo boxes and in one match I was able to run full laps of the map and deny the other team any ammo. My team went from consistently being behind and getting domed by hardscopers to taking the lead and going on to dominate.

I agree with you about spawning without any special is awful, but controlling the boxes had a massive impact on matches. It's just a shame that you need to force people to use primaries by removing all other ammo types.

Frenden

Banned
You didn't used to have to "force people to use primaries" before they nerfed all their times to kill into the fucking ground.

Again, primaries being weak inherently buff the role of secondaries.

If you want no special ammo on spawn, Inferno is your place. I find it dreadfully dull.

Trakan

In general, it takes a lot of practice to be a good sniper. The "it aims for you" is all BS. Yes, there is AA, but try challenging a very good sniper in trials and you'd be done. It is very evident who has mastered the weapon and who has not. Just because it's easier to use, doesn't mean everyone is good with it. In fact, I'd say the majority are not confident in their snipe game.

It really doesn't. I can not play Destiny PVP for days/weeks at a time and pick up a sniper and get easy kills with it. Try using a white sniper with low AA the next time you're in PVP and see how big of a difference it is.

I'm not Kraftyy but I also wasn't this good at sniping last year. People have to realize the obscene amounts of AA.

It really doesn't. I can not play Destiny PVP for days/weeks at a time and pick up a sniper and get easy kills with it. Try using a white sniper with low AA the next time you're in PVP and see how big of a difference it is.

I'm not Kraftyy but I also wasn't this good at sniping last year. People have to realize the obscene amounts of AA.
Maybe you weren't this good at sniping last year because you have a lot more practice with it now than you did back then. Practice makes perfect!!

Also, I don't believe your first point. I had a moment where I hadn't played for a couple weeks, and I could see that I wasn't as good because I didn't have the practice, and I wasn't doing as good as I was two weeks ago.

I've said it plenty of times before, but sniping is NOT easy, no matter how much AA a weapon has on it, it still takes a fair amount of skill.

E92 M3

I use the Calcutta for practice all the time. And yes, there is a huge gap between good snipers and someone that can hit headshots here and there. There are many different skills to master in order to be a top-shelf sniper.

Easy kills can be had with any weapon.

WeTeHa

I have a god roll 1000 yard stare and a longbow with hidden hand (highest AA of all snipers?) and i'm still only average at best. No amount of AA can compensate for lack of skill. That said, toning down AA couldn't hurt. But people suggesting descope on hit have to realize that would quite literally break the weapon class in pve, right?

I have a god roll 1000 yard stare and a longbow with hidden hand (highest AA of all snipers?) and i'm still only average at best. No amount of AA can compensate for lack of skill. That said, toning down AA couldn't hurt. But people suggesting descope on hit have to realize that would quite literally break the weapon class in pve, right?
That's what I've been saying all along about descoping, yet people keep bringing up the idea.

Also, descoping would lead to more passive, campy snipers who are trying not to get hit and would just make the game in general more boring.

And yeah, a God roll Longbow means nothing for someone with a 1 star skill rating compared to someone with a 5 star skill rating. A good sniper will always win with a crappy sniper over a crappy player with a God roll sniper, it's no contest.

Trakan

Maybe you weren't this good at sniping last year because you have a lot more practice with it now than you did back then. Practice makes perfect!!

Also, I don't believe your first point. I had a moment where I hadn't played for a couple weeks, and I could see that I wasn't as good because I didn't have the practice, and I wasn't doing as good as I was two weeks ago.

I've said it plenty of times before, but sniping is NOT easy, no matter how much AA a weapon has on it, it still takes a fair amount of skill.

It's literally not possible. I play a tenth as often as I did back then. Sniping is one of the easiest things to do in PVP right now. The range patch fucked everything up. Snipers do not behave the same way they did last year. AA wasn't even a complaint before that range patch. Think about it, range used to do literally nothing. It was a throwaway stat. They changed that and now it means everything.

Shiv47

If you've worked yourself into being a good sniper, you're probably still going to be good whatever Bungie does, and if you aren't, AA isn't going to help you. I'm a terrible sniper, and short of spending a shit ton of hours practicing, AA hasn't done anything for me. I've tried multiple guns, and none of them help me headshot anyone more often. I rarely bother anymore in PvP, because I don't have, and never will have, the gun skills necessary to snipe like the pros.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It's called muscle memory. I can and have stopped playing SFIV since basically Destiny came about. I go back and played it against Neo recently and beat his ass so bad his grandkids will feel it. I can do all my one frame links combos just like I never left. Same thing applies here.
Just as with everything, it's either you have it or you don't. I've gone against whole teams of snipers scoping and beat them with the midi or grasp. Things could be "easy" but bottom line is execution is still required and then there's stuff like pressure and people play definitely under circumstances.

GRIP

It's literally not possible. I play a tenth as often as I did back then. Sniping is one of the easiest things to do in PVP right now. The range patch fucked everything up. Snipers do not behave the same way they did last year. AA wasn't even a complaint before that range patch. Think about it, range used to do literally nothing. It was a throwaway stat. They changed that and now it means everything.

I really think this is an overblown issue with sniper AA. I've always liked using snipers in this game (and others) and I really never noticed a huge difference in how they functioned. My headshot % has actually gone down in year 2 (went from around 78% to under 70 I think).

That being said, I do agree that snipers are too easy to use. I've never played a game that had so many "competent" snipers. Unfortunately, I don't see how you can balance them in pvp without severely hurting them in pve. Which is the main problem... the game will never be balanced if Bungie is so hellbent on keeping pvp and pve a "consistent experience".

I think trials encouraged the average player to get good with a sniper. I know it did for me. I went from never sniping to using it a lot depending on the map. It took a lot of practise to get ok at sniping. I watched a lot for true vanguards sniper tutorial videos and just practised loads.

Now I'm at a point where I know where the main sniper lanes are. Some of the more random angles you can pull off to get some borderline dodgy kills. I know instinctively what height my crosshair needs to be to headshot.

I can't do the crazy trick shot offensive sniping you see in highlight reels. But I can cover a lane and use it defensively if I need to retreat and bait someone towards me.

There are still times when I can't hit the broadside of a barn door at 10 paces. But this knowledge has helped me try to avoid snipers. But when I do die I know it's normally because I ran into it. There are only a few times when I can legitimately say that I was killed by bullshit AA. But there are about the same amount of times where I have benefitted from it as well

JaY P.

Hello DGaf, would any GAF peeps be willing to help me get a Black Spindle. I just got a TOM and figure I might as well get a spindle to make my raiding life easier.

neoism

so guys do you have to be 320 for a 335 to drop.... getting sick and tried of getting 285-300 drops...

��

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
Hello DGaf, would any GAF peeps be willing to help me get a Black Spindle. I just got a TOM and figure I might as well get a spindle to make my raiding life easier.

I'll help, PSN: Beholder-Y

so guys do you have to be 320 for a 335 to drop.... get sick and tried of getting 285-300 drops...

😑

I think drops are at most 6 light above you, meaning if you're 320, at most you'll get 326.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Rank five on all. Good games guys. Out of 20 or so we only lost 2. Most dominate train in a while. Happy 4th and everyone take care.

Ballistic

Wow, we've hit a sore spot. On one side we have the good and talented snipers that don't notice how much easier it is for them to do there job with high AA and no flinch and on the other everyone that can't stand teams of six snipers. I for one rarely use my sniper because 6/10 times I'm going to get shit on. That doesn't mean that the lesser players shouldn't have a say.

I'm not sure how attune many are to baseball and what affects a "bat" can have but you'd be surprised. I'm going to liken a hot bat, one with obscene exit velocities, to AA. A good player using a hot bat will see his/her power numbers or overall hitting numbers increase. A very good player becomes superhuman at times. It doesn't matter how great the pitch was it gets launched 400 ft like a pro golfer hitting driver. On the other hand, that bat in an unskilled batters hand won't make a difference what so ever. That player could practice all they wanted and it wouldn't matter. And believe me, even in baseball we have the old-school folks that believe a bat doesn't matter. Yet the NCAA thought that it did so they made new rules and now there's people crying that they newterd the bats because fewer players are able to hit. Thing is, now kids have to learn how to hit to be successfull. Where before the lines were blurred because you didn't have to be a great hitter to hit the ball 400ft consistently, you just had to hit.

Now back to snipers. Krafty with an aim assist sniper is a god and without aim assist he's still a god. The problem is when the also runs start to move into Krafty god tier sniperdom. That's when the game isn't fun. Like with a bat, you have to have the skill first, but that bat or AA sometimes enhances your ability to a level of absurdity. Lesson the AA and it won't matter for talented snipers as they will still get their head shots, but most of the absurd jumping or sliding no scope head shots will almost disappear.

Nobody is saying nerf them into the ground like every other nerf, but undo the range buff and lower the AA. Then bring up high impact weapons by adding flinch on headshots and slightly speed up their fire-rate.

I did alright on 335 ghosts this week.

.eJwdyEsOgyAQANC7sOcz6IB4DQ9gCFIwUYfAdNX07k36lu8j3v0Sq6jMbaxaH-dI1A81mHosWRWicuXYzqES3Toyx1Tv_PDQ4GaPs8MFg0VEYxYNIUz_Nh7ALQiT3lLP-RmVeH91undrwEnjpZl2CBJA2qDaU8T3B0TQKkM.UcPkLhriIVRYn6dfj0Ack9hvLko.png

You know I hate you right?

stay gold

Snipers were & are tuned to be competitive in the fast paced, mobility based Destiny of Y1, which is why they're 'easy' to use. They needed to be easier to use because people were way harder to hit than in other shooters.

Problem is everything in the game that was conducive to pushing a sniper/defensive player has been nerfed to shit (except Juggernaut/Skating I guess), leading to this boring ass hardscope/sit back and team shoot playstyle.

Rather than nerf snipers, I wish Bungie would just realise they made a damn good game that needed only a few small changes, rather than the stupid amount of nerfs we've had.

Kalamari

I like the changes that have been made to heavy spawns, but I think special ammo needs to be a bit more scarce. Also, I think it would be better if players didn't start the game with special but instead the map spawn with special to retrieve. Bungie needs to use ammo spawns to promote movement around the map to a greater extent than they have in the past. If they just give the ammo out to everyone, players will just snipe at each other from their respective sides.

Top Bottom