• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

Frenden

Banned
Just caught up. That stream existed solely as a means to get word about the Gjallarsparrow out there.

The reveals of the updated spaces equated to re-skinned enemies with slightly skewed abilities and a snow particle effect. I want to see the plague lands and the new pvp modes or don't bother at this point.

I'm growing to hate the change in tone that the wacky, zany emotes and corresponding corny trailers do to the base game.

I want more of the Oryx grimoire story's level of tone in that game world. It's become the Eververse play doh fun factory tonally.

As brutally disappointing, even embarrasing, as today's stream was, I already had written up a post about learning to shotgun in trials, so here it is:

-------------------------------------------------

Shotgunning is all about Movement

So I’ve always enjoyed sniping in Halo and Destiny and so when I ventured into Trials, it seemed a safe bet. But if you’re sniping with two teammates who are much better snipers than you, it’s really hard to contribute. If you had a weapon in your load-out that wasn’t getting you kills, then it makes sense to find something that will. Which is why two recent times I’ve played Trials, I’ve shotgunned. Shotgunning is great in Trials because Trials is a mode about “orb control” and nothing controls orbs better than being on top of them with a shotgun.

I talked a bit with one of my other Trials teammates who does shotgun and he said that shotgunning these days is paradoxically mostly about primaries. Especially, don’t think you’re going to get kills from your shotgun as a first kill of the round. Murdaro doesn’t even do that; instead pushing with primaries and grenades and then cleaning up with shotguns. I talked at length about Primaries in another post, so I want to focus on the main way that shotgunning differs from sniping: movement.

When sniping, you don’t have to move around much. Move, post-up, maybe do that once or twice. You can “flank” in that you can watch a different lane than your teammates, but you’re still likely farther back. Shotgunning is about taking the fight to your enemy.

Your map position isn’t about you

Shotgunning in Trials is also quite different than Rumble where you can push or retreat however you like. In Trials, it’s crucial to move in a way that supports your team. For example, if you over-extend and die, your orb is likely impossible to rez.

It’s a good idea to never be more than 1-1.5 seconds away from your nearest teammate (presence or at least sight of) for this reason (Next time you’re playing, count out the seconds it takes for you to move around the map. You’d be surprised how big a space 1-2 seconds is.). Being too far away is a problem in case you are walking into a 1v2 or 1v3, sure, but it’s also a problem in that you can’t support your teammates. This can manifest defensively (if your teammates are getting pushed and need your help) or offensively (they get a pick and need to converge on an orb). Let’s say my teammates got that pick at special on Pantheon, but I was pushing through Waterfall hallway. I might be slow to get to the orb, or I might be unable to even get to the orb because the enemies are between me and the orb.

Encountering the enemy or quite probably, enemies

Trials is obviously a small team mode, which means there are only 3 combinations of enemies you will see: 1, 2 or 3. Changes made to the Crucible in Year 2 have been a deliberate effort to make it so that winning encounters against multiple enemies is more difficult, so it’s important to not bite off more than you can choose. Here’s my take on those 3 combinations:

• If you see 1 person: A 1v1, especially if you can get first shot is a great opportunity to get a kill. Call for reinforcements even if you think you’ve got it.
  • If you see 2 people: Great. Let your team know that there’s an enemy somewhere out there that’s alone.
  • If you see 3 people: Great. Now you know where they all are. Let your team know that they can now take full control of the map.

In each case, communicate what you see to your team. Since you are in many cases going to be outnumbered, don’t commit in stupid ways. And use your radar presence to distract the enemy team. In this sense, your job as a shotgunner is to be a scout and/or support, which is exactly my play style.

Moving Cover to Cover: thinking one step ahead

One of the first things that I learned when I wanted to “git gud” at Crucible was that you shouldn’t just run around in the open. You should always move from cover to cover. Trials is the most intense way to test that because you’re going up against top-tier snipers who are covering every lane and every angle. But not every bit of cover is equal, even if it is blocking the enemy’s sight-lines.

O6IhqUP.png

A practical example: I when I was playing Pantheon and I wanted to flank along the Waterfall hallway, so I pushed through to the pillar in the middle of the hallway (pink line). But notice that I have no options for my next movement. And worse, I have no room to breathe. I got grenaded and killed almost instantly even though I was “in cover.” So I had to learn to move thinking not of the move I was making, but where could I go afterward. “Is there more cover I can use to advance ahead? What if I need to retreat, can I do that, etc.”

The other thing you may be asking is if a sniper is watching that hallway, why even push at all? Simple. Trials is a game about map control and aggression is heavily favored. It’s a topic I want to explore in more detail, but for now, controlling more of the map limits the enemy. You control the map by getting there first. That and a lot of weaker teams can’t handle a hard push and fold. Also Juggernaut lets me tank a sniper round and make pushes no one else can.

Wrapping up

Movement and flow is so different when you’re a shotgunner. It’s way more dynamic and I can see why shotgunners like it. It’s a high-wire act, though, because you are really putting yourself out there against snipers and often being outnumbered. I’ve joked with my shotgun teammates that they could play hudless, because you don’t even need to aim, but I honestly think effective shotgunning is way harder than sniping. But the rewards are some great team play and closing out rounds strong. I’ve really been enjoying it even if I’m still learning. The lessons it’s taught me have been important for my continued development, because they are universal.

permalink.

aarcane

I'm so used to the Hawksaw/PDX-45 style pulse rifle, that I can't help but think "fire faster, damn it" when testing a just-dropped Nirwen's Mercy.

H6Oc0Fs.jpg

Red Dot-ORS, Secret Round, Braced Frame, Glass Half Full. Not too bad, stable as anything.

Updated for new page:

Would everyone here be able to start at 3 pm EST Sunday?

1 spot open for flawless Crota's End.

1.) Drizzay
2.) PSN:TheNegativeDude/SlimySnake
3.) LifEndz
4.) Azolith
5.) juanbumo
6.)
?

Count me in. PSN Azolith.

Added my name. Eff it. Might as well get this platinum.

Count me in! PSN: juanbumo

I think you still have me on friend list

Yep, got everybody here!

@juan: I do indeed still have you on the FR. How could I forget killing Skolas with you and none other than Trials partner extraordinaire Igor
single digit PvE K/D
Dennis? This scoreboard shows what a great encounter Skolas was, considering your two K/D's aren't great but our clear time is excellent. You could die so much and keep clutching it out to still kill him. So much fun.

Just won my 50th rumble match and seriously. SBMM must have been turned off. I didn't have to play aggressive, it was so easy to bait people into running around a corner into my shotgun. I was out shooting people who got the drop on me. Winning 2v1 and all sorts of craziness. There were also 3 guardians who weren't level 40. One of them went 0-14! When I checked guardian.gg no one in the lobby had an ELO. But games I did before and after do.

XenoRaven

Updated for new page:

1.) Drizzay
3.) LifEndz
4.) Azolith
5.) juanbumo
6.)
?

Yep, got everybody here!

@juan: I do indeed still have you on the FR. How could I forget killing Skolas with you and none other than Trials partner extraordinaire Igor
single digit PvE K/D
Dennis? This scoreboard shows what a great encounter Skolas was, considering your two K/D's aren't great but our clear time is excellent. You could die so much and keep clutching it out to still kill him. So much fun.
A seal is good enough to run a flawless raid? I need to step my game up.

LifEndz

Updated for new page:

1.) Drizzay
3.) LifEndz
4.) Azolith
5.) juanbumo
6.)
?

That works for me, Drizz. I'll set a reminder on my phone right now.

GutZ31

For now, team is locked unless otherwise stated.

Flawless Raider Run #2
———————–––---
Crota's End, Wednesday the 20th, 2016, at 9:00PM EST.

1. GutZ31
2. sMs104
3. Reluctant-Hero
4. Netguy503
5. TheTylerDurden
6. hedera_
1 hour warning call for guardians doing flawless.

darknil

single digit PvE K/D

Oh, how to forget that! I really wish Bungie designed more hard stuff without relying on the no-revives rule.

I'll be able to be there 3PM on Sunday for the flawless run!

shermas

After helping a newbie-ish group through the KF hard raid, we made it to sisters and a couple people had to leave... It was fine. We had fun, I explained what I could to try and help (not having any time to get comfy/clear the room), we tried a couple times, but couldn't get a smooth transition going after the first sister went down and we kept dying. The group fell apart, all good.

I then hopped on the companion app, looking for a group for a quick oryx kill... I found "must have experience, if you have questions, please don't join. You'll be kicked. Message for invite. Don't have time to mess around. Need to get this done quickly." I usually HATE these groups, but thought a quick run would be fine. If we all know what we're doing, it'll take 10 minutes. No harm in some quick loot.

Five wipes later, I finally looked the group leader up. He had ONE normal mode Oryx kill. He'd never done hard mode. Turns out, he wasn't even 100% sure where the Knights spawned in.... I left. What are some people thinking?

NeOak

After helping a newbie-ish group through the KF hard raid, we made it to sisters and a couple people had to leave... It was fine. We had fun, I explained what I could to try and help (not having any time to get comfy/clear the room), we tried a couple times, but couldn't get a smooth transition going after the first sister went down and we kept dying. The group fell apart, all good.

I then hopped on the companion app, looking for a group for a quick oryx kill... I found "must have experience, if you have questions, please don't join. You'll be kicked. Message for invite. Don't have time to mess around. Need to get this done quickly." I usually HATE these groups, but thought a quick run would be fine. If we all know what we're doing, it'll take 10 minutes. No harm in some quick loot.

Five wipes later, I finally looked the group leader up. He had ONE normal mode Oryx kill. He'd never done hard mode. Turns out, he wasn't even 100% sure where the Knights spawned in.... I left. What are some people thinking?

Should have told him "You fucking scrub, were you expecting to get carried in KFHM? It can't be done" and laughed while leaving.

With a recruitment message like that, I am dead serious.

Just caught up. That stream existed solely as a means to get word about the Gjallarsparrow out there.

The reveals of the updated spaces equated to re-skinned enemies with slightly skewed abilities and a snow particle effect. I want to see the plague lands and the new pvp modes or don't bother at this point.

I'm growing to hate the change in tone that the wacky, zany emotes and corresponding corny trailers do to the base game.

I want more of the Oryx grimoire story's level of tone in that game world.
It's become the Eververse play doh fun factory tonally.

I want more of that too. I love what's going on in the lore.

The dissonance between the tone they constantly portray in their media and the awesome, dark mythology of the Grimoire is striking. It feels schizophrenic to be honest.

I love love love the live action trailers. I will brook no alternatives. That said, I do like the game world being serious about itself. There's great lore behind the Gjallarhorn & Alpha Lupi. That they'd make a sparrow out of the remains of their fallen comrades, eh.

I mean there is a Grimoire card for fucking Chroma. ಠ_ಠ

A seal is good enough to run a flawless raid? I need to step my game up.

Flawless Scrota is crazy easy. Way easier than breaking a 0.5 k/d on kadey's train. Go ahead and sign up if you want the trophy, literally anyone can do it.

I solo abyss. Climb tower to cheese bridge. Kill DSinger fast and one-sword Scrota do to crazy over leveling. The end.

GutZ31

sMs104, Reluctant-Hero, Netguy503, TheTylerDurden,and hedera_ Flawless GET!

Good job everyone. We had some laggy shenanigans, but powered thru them all. Glad everyone was able to complete first try.

Congratulations to a few new guardian Lords, and many more to come.

Rehsa

Good job everyone. We had some laggy shenanigans, but powered thru them all. Glad everyone was able to complete first try.

Congrats everyone!

netguy503

Congrats everyone! Thank you for setting it up and thank you to the team for all their contributions. It was fun and I hope to see you all on Destiny again in the future.

Hope your other flawless runs go as smoothly as this one (only took us a little over half an hour).

phen0m24

Nice job guys. Thanks for sherpaderp duty, GutZ

Hedera

Crota's End, Wednesday the 20th, 2016, at 9:00PM EST.

1. GutZ31
2. sMs104
3. Reluctant-Hero
4. Netguy503
5. TheTylerDurden
6. hedera_
Sleep be damned!

First Platinum trophy ever for me. Don't care about trophies at all but given the investment in this game and the fact that it was the last one I needed, I figured I had to try it considering the help offers given by GutZ and Drizzay lately.

So, huge thanks to the team and Gutz for making everything so seamless.

I'll be sure to PM Lnkn to get my ass on that list ;)

SpecX

Destiny being Destiny. Go through a match where we pulled ahead and demolished the competition. Rewards screen appears and I get legendary gauntlets. I'm super pumped as this is the last 335 item I need to finally reach 335 on my Titan and I have 0 doubt in my mind it won't be a 335 LL items since I'm currently equipped at 333. I hover over the item to discover it's a 334, matching the LL of my highest guanlets.

Destiny being Destiny. Go through a match where we pulled ahead and demolished the competition. Rewards screen appears and I get legendary gauntlets. I'm super pumped as this is the last 335 item I need to finally reach 335 on my Titan and I have 0 doubt in my mind it won't be a 335 LL items since I'm currently equipped at 333. I hover over the item to discover it's a 334, matching the LL of my highest guanlets.
lol.

I feel like everyone here has felt this pain at some point in their Destiny
april update
lives. Now that all my characters are 330+, I just dismantle anything that has crappy perks, or isn't 335, cause I don't see any point in making a 332, 334.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Destiny be trollin', yo.

I wish Destiny had CTF. I also wish Overwatch had CTF.

WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME CTF GODS?!?
I don't know. Every game I've played CTF on has failed at implementing CTF. It never worked in CoD, it stinks in Battlefield, and every game I've seen have CTF, it always seems like the CTF population is very small to begin with. It seems like one of the hardest modes to do right in a game and I don't know if it will work with Destiny, but you never know until you try!

I'm not saying it's a crap game mode. I think it's fun to play and leads to some good action, but just really hard to do right.

Top Bottom