• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

Kyoufu

Back to current Destiny...

...am I reading the internet right? Are there two Last Words, one with infuse, one without? (I have one maxed out with no infuse, Attack 170 :/ )

Your 170 is the Year 1 version. There's a Year 2 version with current attack values as well.

...am I reading the internet right? Are there two Last Words, one with infuse, one without? (I have one maxed out with no infuse, Attack 170 :/ )

That is Y1 last word. There is a Y2 version which can go to 335. They are identical other than that. So feel free to use the Y1 version in normal crucible.

Wouldn't take it into trials or iron banner though. Near the Vanguard peeps you will find some Ipad style devices. The one for exotic weapons should give you the option to buy Y2 exotics that you collected in Y1 if you really want it

Quite a few Year 1 weapons have Year 2 variants that allow for infusion. Bungie never got rid of the Year 1 versions and those can't be infused.

That is Y1 last word. There is a Y2 version which can go to 335. They are identical other than that. So feel free to use the Y1 version in normal crucible.

Wouldn't take it into trials or iron banner though. Near the Vanguard peeps you will find some Ipad style devices. The one for exotic weapons should give you the option to buy Y2 exotics that you collected in Y1 if you really want it

Ah, ok. I know the place. I'll check it out. Thanks for the answers, guys.

spyder_ur

The two things everyone was clamoring for to return: Thorn and Festival of the Lost!

All kidding aside, some exciting stuff. Artifacts are interesting but I suspect they will be a nightmare to balance for PvP. Unlimited sprint? Everyone with double grenades?

Khvostov exotic is hilarious and awesome.

i predicted 400 light and I feel like a genius. That's a big jump though.

Yes and phogoth both reworked and xiva-ified

Fantastic. Love Phogoth. One of the best strikes.

Fuck Thorn.

A PRIMARY slot gun that applies a debuff:

• 100% of the time
  • -2 to Recovery
  • Can be used for tracking
  • does damage over time
  • THAT TURNS MY SCREEN GREEN!
  • THAT HISSES IN MY GODDAMNED EARS OVER AND OVER AND OVER.
This isn't some gun where ammunition is limited. This isn't a gun that requires skill or a crit to apply a DoT. This isn't a gun that was never "the meta", like Fabian Strategy. This is STILL a gun that has best in class range and time to kill. Hawkmoon continues to get nerfed and isn't in a good place, but Thorn? Still king of the hill for non-LL matches.

Bringing Thorn back is bringing back the absolute worst part of Destiny.

And before you say "Don't criticize until you play." Well, then I reply "Don't get hyped about all the cool stuff before you play either".

And before you say "But there's an artifact now." Bullshit. The artifact only lessens the DoT time. It still provides the enemy my location, nerfs my recovery and does damage, and it still does the awful hiss and screen effect. And! Bringing back something shitty, and then providing a single option to mitigate is terrible. It's like "hey! here are all these cool neat artifacts, but you can't use the one you want in a game you play for fun because some other player is using Thorn."

And before you say "But they nerfed the effects, it's okay." Nope. I play Rumble and still get matched with Tryhards who use Thorn and Year 1 PC+1/Her Benevolences and it still sucks.

Maybe it's fine for you, but it sucks for me because I spent months in the Crucible last year hiding in corners while my screen burned and my ears ached. And I haven't even gotten to the worst part. The real nightmare isn't Thorn back. It's a whole fireteam with Thorns.

My concerns are this:
- A gun that strong is inherently OP in Destiny's sandbox, and can never be balanced around.
- It sucks in a PvP game about shooting people to be forced to hide, from a gun that is 100% reliable and in a primary slot. Grenades have cooldown. Thorn does not.
- But mostly, I'm so freaking sick of the screen & sound effects.

#fuckthorn

Sucks that to me, last weeks NF/Heroic was pretty fun and this weeks almost the polar opposite. Looks like I'll be skipping NF and only doing 3 strikes (I thought strikes were always going to get a burn?).

335 Crest of Alpha Lupi, just what I needed to reach 335 with my Titan.

Thanks Bungie! You're the bestest!

giphy.gif

Fuck Thorn.

• 100% of the time
  • -2 to Recovery
  • does damage over time
This isn't some gun where ammunition is limited. This isn't a gun that requires skill or a crit to apply a DoT. This isn't a gun that was never "the meta", like Fabian Strategy. This is STILL a gun that has best in class range and time to kill. Hawkmoon continues to get nerfed and isn't in a good place, but Thorn? Still king of the hill for non-LL matches.

And before you say "Don't criticize until you play." Well, then I reply "Don't get hyped about all the cool stuff before you play either".

And before you say "But there's an artifact now." Bullshit. The artifact only lessens the DoT time. It still provides the enemy my location, nerfs my recovery and does damage, and it still does the awful hiss and screen effect. And! Bringing back something shitty, and then providing a single option to mitigate is terrible. It's like "hey! here are all these cool neat artifacts, but you can't use the one you want in a game you play for fun because some other player is using Thorn."

And before you say "But they nerfed the effects, it's okay." Nope. I play Rumble and still get matched with Tryhards who use Thorn and Year 1 PC+1/Her Benevolences and it still sucks.

Maybe it's fine for you, but it sucks for me because I spent months in the Crucible last year hiding in corners while my screen burned and my ears ached. And I haven't even gotten to the worst part. The real nightmare isn't Thorn back. It's a whole fireteam with Thorns.

My concerns are this:
- A gun that strong is inherently OP in Destiny's sandbox, and can never be balanced around.
- It sucks in a PvP game about shooting people to be forced to hide, from a gun that is 100% reliable and in a primary slot. Grenades have cooldown. Thorn does not.

#fuckthorn

Bringing back Thorn is bringing back fun. Thorn is much more than a gun. It's a way of playing. People who snipe will be quaking in their boots again. It's going to be glorious.

more salt for the mines

Thorn now
Thorn Tomorrow
Thorn forever

Fuck Thorn.

• 100% of the time
  • -2 to Recovery
  • does damage over time

My concerns are this:

#fuckthorn

Great post John.

Thorn is a gun that encourages bad play and also brought down the PvP skill ceiling. It's a bad gun that ruined an entire Meta.

WipedOut

Fuck Thorn.

• 100% of the time
  • -2 to Recovery
  • does damage over time

My concerns are this:

#fuckthorn
SPOAT!

SpecX

My memory is fuzzy, I don't remember Thorn being that bad. I'm just too outraged at snipers in PvP at this point and posts here have sold me on Thorn being the great counter to that bs, so I'm willing to have it back if it knocks down snipers a notch.

So, if every class item is returning, except for raid gear, does that mean tha Icebreaker will also make a return? Please say yes Bungie...

stay gold

Thorn requires 1H 2B to kill same as all the other popular hand cannons - a lot of top players prefer Eyasluna too it now, as the burn is so minor. I still think Thorns hit registration is better than the rest personally so i'll use it, it's by no means op though...

My memory is fuzzy, I don't remember Thorn being that bad. I'm just too outraged at snipers in PvP at this point and posts here have sold me on Thorn being the great counter to that bs, so I'm willing to have it back if it knocks down snipers a notch.

It's pretty viable now. The other half of the issue back then in Y1 was we didn't have that many weapons to combat it.

My memory is fuzzy, I don't remember Thorn being that bad. I'm just too outraged at snipers in PvP at this point and posts here have sold me on Thorn being the great counter to that bs, so I'm willing to have it back if it knocks down snipers a
notch.

Thorn existed in a time where TLW and Hawkmoon were all strong. They were interchangeable.

Thorn, unlike TLW and Hawkmoon, was still strong after the butchering. It was still seen in year 2 PvP(exluding trials or Iron Banner.).

Why? Because it was a well balanced gun. Even through scaling, even after the Hand Cannon nerfs, it managed to stay in meta. Thats the mark of a well balanced weapon. Alas, pvpers complained about it. Again, shortly after the butchering/the rebalance from TTK: "muh pulse rifle falls victim to the thorn! Bungie nerf!" and Bungie complied.

And yet....The Thorn lives on. Because you see, its not that Bungie nerfed the gun. Its not that it was never brought to year 2. Its that The Thorn, in its divine will and gracious charity, allowed other weapons to shine in year 2. But now that its been dormant, it wishes to come back. And Bungie has no choice but to listen.

It isnt that the Thorn is broken. Its that the Thorn allows other weapons to coexist with it. The Thorn is perfectly balanced, so balanced that even when they tone down its power, it atill shines. It is, and it shall ever be.

ACR0019

Thorn existed in a time where TLW and Hawkmoon were all strong. They were interchangeable.

Thorn, unlike TLW and Hawkmoon, was still strong after the butchering. It was still seen in year 2 PvP(exluding trials or Iron Banner.).

Why? Because it was a well balanced gun. Even through scaling, even after the Hand Cannon nerfs, it managed to stay in meta. Thats the mark of a well balanced weapon. Alas, pvpers complained about it. Again, shortly after the butchering/the rebalance from TTK: "muh pulse rifle falls victim to the thorn! Bungie nerf!" and Bungie complied.

And yet....The Thorn lives on. Because you see, its not that Bungie nerfed the gun. Its not that it was never brought to year 2. Ita that The Thorn, in its divine will and gracious charity, allowed other weapons to shine in year 2. But now that its been dormant, it wishes to come back. And Bungie has no choice but to listen.

It isnt that the Thorn is broken. Its that the Thorn allows other weapons to coexist with it. The Thorn is perfectly balanced, so balanced that even when they tone down its power, it atill shines. It is, and it shall ever be.

I want what you're smoking.

void666

Banned

And yet....The Thorn lives on. Because you see, its not that Bungie nerfed the gun. Its not that it was never brought to year 2. Its that The Thorn, in its divine will and gracious charity, allowed other weapons to shine in year 2. But now that its been dormant, it wishes to come back. And Bungie has no choice but to listen.

I'm crying.

So, if every class item is returning, except for raid gear, does that mean tha Icebreaker will also make a return? Please say yes Bungie...
Icebreaker doesn't get enough love. I was so happy when I finally got it, but right after I did, I decided to create a new PSN and delete 6-7 years of history. So I didn't even get to use it.

Darkest timeline...

Anyway, a part of me wouldn't mind seeing it return. But, at the same time, I think it'd have a negative impact on the game.

I miss my first ever exotic :(
Pocket Infinity
It was mine also!

Don't like Thorn. All my memories of the gun from year one consist of:
Get in a firefight with someone.
Kill them.
Live with barely any health left.
A: Die right after anyway.
B: Survive, but get killed by someone else because recovering took too long.

And, boy, Bungie sure does know how to name stuff.

Sepiks Perfected sounds so fucking bad ass.

Why do we think Thorn is coming back? As far as I can see GI just cited it as an example of DoT that one of the new artifacts protects you from.

(Get out your Thornflakes so I can piss on them)

Edit: never mind saw on Reddit someone saying there will be a quest for it.

Top Bottom