• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

Fuck Thorn.

A PRIMARY slot gun that applies a debuff:

• 100% of the time
  • -2 to Recovery
  • Can be used for tracking
  • does damage over time
  • THAT TURNS MY SCREEN GREEN!
  • THAT HISSES IN MY GODDAMNED EARS OVER AND OVER AND OVER.
This isn't some gun where ammunition is limited. This isn't a gun that requires skill or a crit to apply a DoT. This isn't a gun that was never "the meta", like Fabian Strategy. This is STILL a gun that has best in class range and time to kill. Hawkmoon continues to get nerfed and isn't in a good place, but Thorn? Still king of the hill for non-LL matches.

Bringing Thorn back is bringing back the absolute worst part of Destiny.

And before you say "Don't criticize until you play." Well, then I reply "Don't get hyped about all the cool stuff before you play either".

And before you say "But there's an artifact now." Bullshit. The artifact only lessens the DoT time. It still provides the enemy my location, nerfs my recovery and does damage, and it still does the awful hiss and screen effect. And! Bringing back something shitty, and then providing a single option to mitigate is terrible. It's like "hey! here are all these cool neat artifacts, but you can't use the one you want in a game you play for fun because some other player is using Thorn."

And before you say "But they nerfed the effects, it's okay." Nope. I play Rumble and still get matched with Tryhards who use Thorn and Year 1 PC+1/Her Benevolences and it still sucks.

Maybe it's fine for you, but it sucks for me because I spent months in the Crucible last year hiding in corners while my screen burned and my ears ached. And I haven't even gotten to the worst part. The real nightmare isn't Thorn back. It's a whole fireteam with Thorns.

My concerns are this:
- A gun that strong is inherently OP in Destiny's sandbox, and can never be balanced around.
- It sucks in a PvP game about shooting people to be forced to hide, from a gun that is 100% reliable and in a primary slot. Grenades have cooldown. Thorn does not.
- But mostly, I'm so freaking sick of the screen & sound effects.

#fuckthorn

Agree wholeheartedly. I owned and used it, but I fucking hated everything it brought to the table in year 1 pvp.

Thorn existed in a time where TLW and Hawkmoon were all strong. They were interchangeable.

Thorn, unlike TLW and Hawkmoon, was still strong after the butchering. It was still seen in year 2 PvP(exluding trials or Iron Banner.).

Why? Because it was a well balanced gun. Even through scaling, even after the Hand Cannon nerfs, it managed to stay in meta. Thats the mark of a well balanced weapon. Alas, pvpers complained about it. Again, shortly after the butchering/the rebalance from TTK: "muh pulse rifle falls victim to the thorn! Bungie nerf!" and Bungie complied.

And yet....The Thorn lives on. Because you see, its not that Bungie nerfed the gun. Its not that it was never brought to year 2. Its that The Thorn, in its divine will and gracious charity, allowed other weapons to shine in year 2. But now that its been dormant, it wishes to come back. And Bungie has no choice but to listen.

It isnt that the Thorn is broken. Its that the Thorn allows other weapons to coexist with it. The Thorn is perfectly balanced, so balanced that even when they tone down its power, it atill shines. It is, and it shall ever be.

Love ya breezy, but pfft. :p

Why do we think Thorn is coming back? As far as I can see GI just cited it as an example of DoT that one of the new artifacts protects you from.

(Get out your Thornflakes so I can piss on them)

Edit: never mind saw on Reddit someone saying there will be a quest for it.

Not sure about the quest, but in the article they specifically say that Thorn is coming back in Year 3.

Trakan

More info on skeleton keys.

Confront strike playlists and nightfalls, and you sometimes receive a skeleton key upon mission completion. These can be used to open a chest called a Strike Hoard that spawns at the conclusion of any strike, including strikes you've designated to tackle individually outside of the playlist. Those hoards are guaranteed to supply one of the strike uniques for that location. This structure should make it easier to gather a key, and then enter the strike that features your desired item, where you can be much more certain of a drop.

Still on the fence about RoI, I was hoping for something better than Kill Confirmed playlist for pvp.

At least it will force people to move and not just hardscope some random lane at the back of the map.

What perfect timing, I need both of those fragments.

Anyone down for Warpriest CM or CoO? I do not have any T3 Runes though, so if someone has a spare, that would be fantastic. (Or do I need the rune to get the fragment?)

You need to use the rune to get the fragment.

Uh... so instead of a low chance at a Strike Unique, you get a low chance at a key to unlock a chest that contains a Strike Unique.

wut
But now, you can get a key in Heroic strikes, then go to a strike from the director and choose which one you want. It'll allow people to farm Heroic strikes to get keys, then once they accumulate some keys, go to the strike of their choice, and farm that for a drop every strike until you run out of keys. It's a much better system than "I hope to god the next strike is Omnigul".

It makes strike farming much easier.

darthbob

But now, you can get a key in Heroic strikes, then go to a strike from the director and choose which one you want. It'll allow people to farm Heroic strikes to get keys, then once they accumulate some keys, go to the strike of their choice, and farm that for a drop every strike until you run out of keys. It's a much better system than "I hope to god the next strike is Omnigul".

It makes strike farming much easier.

Oh wow, I totally didn't read it correctly. Okay, so the key can drop from any Heroic Strike, and then you can take that key into the Heroic Strike of your choice, complete it, and then use said key to obtain the Strike Unique from that Strike?

Pretty neat actually.

Icebreaker doesn't get enough love. I was so happy when I finally got it, but right after I did, I decided to create a new PSN and delete 6-7 years of history. So I didn't even get to use it.

Darkest timeline...

True. I never obsesed too much about Gally or Hawkmoon, but IB was my white whale
Gor mine during Iron Banner. After one match were my team was decimated. Decided to run some strikes straigh afterwards just to catch up on lost time. Nexus strike. All happy with my new toy. End of strike rewards gets me a Suros. Possibly the most rewarding 30 minutes of Destiny i ever had.
It was glorious 😃

phen0m24

Dear Thorn, how I missed you.

I will wear the artifact and hope my enemies left it in the vault.

Back up, TLW shotgun rusher
Bite me, sniper camper

Taste the DoT while my teammates rush you and the assists pile in.

:)

CLBridges

Reading over the upcoming additions that will be added with RoI and I'm looking forward to them. I haven't played Destiny in a long while but hopefully will be back for the new dlc. The new artifact changes look interesting and I've been anticipating a Fallen raid since first going through VoG. Guess I should be saving money now, sold my PS4 so gotta repurchase one soon. See all my DGAF peeps online soon enough :)

ocean

Banned
Thorn is coming back the way Gjallarhorn is - a shadow of their former selves.

I wish it stayed behind but only so they wouldn't nerf it and I could still use it in PvP. Bringing it forward will = Hawkmoon treatment (nerf it until nobody wants to use it).

And for what it's worth: OP Thorn / TLW was way way way less annoying a meta than shitty primaries + sniper city which is what we've had for a year.

Also ornaments are totally keychains for your gun

That's good. I hope there's alot of 'free' ways to get ornaments, and it's not mostly relegated to buying them with money. Give me something to chase Bungie, not buy.

I wish it stayed behind but only so they wouldn't nerf it and I could still use it in PvP. Bringing it forward will = Hawkmoon treatment (nerf it until nobody wants to use it).

You sweet, summer child.

And for what it's worth: OP Thorn / TLW was way way way less annoying a meta than shitty primaries + sniper city which is what we've had for a year.
Yep, I'd take Thorn over Universal Remote scummies any day, no question.

"Killed by the architects" and "misadventure" are not satisfactory explanations for you dying, especially in PvP.

Killed by the Architects is bs because it pretty much means the game fucked up, but misadventure works most of the time. Jumping to your death or killing yourself with your own rocket is quite the misadventure.

Killed by the Architects is bs because it pretty much means the game fucked up, but misadventure works most of the time. Jumping to your death or killing yourself with your own rocket is quite the misadventure.

They should switch it to cute funny messages.

Like "Whoopsie you tripped and fell to your death."

Or even add memes to it

"WHOA DUDE! YOU JUST TOOK MASSIVE DAMAGE FROM OUR ENGINE!"

Trakan

The two tap Thorn was really bad, but yeah the current sniper situation frustrates me more. I agree with you.

TyrantII

Thorn sucked. It gave terrible players a way to kill trade with the posion burn.

High level was ok, but man oh man was it a cheap crutch for so many people.

They need to figure something better to fix it. Maybe remove the burn and make it stop and delay recovery instead. Maybe.

Thorn sucked. It gave terrible players a way to kill trade with the posion burn.

High level was ok, but man oh man was it a cheap crutch for so many people.

They need to figure something better to fix it. Maybe remove the burn and make it stop and delay recovery instead. Maybe.
Burn doesn't give it a faster ttk anymore, they nerfed it. Thorn has the same ttk as all the other HCs with the same ROF. Burn isn't the problem on it.

Toddler

Thorn and Gally hype are just fan service, which I'm a fan of fan service even thought I despise The Thorn.

Adding specific weapon defense to artifacts definitely make them more useful, seeing how the only ones I use are the ones with the highest light, no matter what their perks are.

Extra defense against void damage? Well I don't know how many Shadowshots/Nova Bombs/Unbreakable Gauntlets I'll he facing next round, so it's really a cap shoot in PVP. Choosing to negate the effects of Thorn or other weapons seem much more useful.

See I think the fact that they're adding an artifact against dot damage, means that Thorn will be stronger than it currently is. I feel they're going to let loose a bit, balance wise.

soultron

Banned
Anyone on PSN up for NF? I'm just getting back into the game after a hiatus.

LL303 Hunter

souItron (L is an upper case i) on PSN

EDIT: Oh shit, NF is LL320 recommended now? Guess I won't be able to do it then?

Anyone on PSN up for NF? I'm just getting back into the game after a hiatus.

LL303 Hunter

souItron (L is an upper case i) on PSN

EDIT: Oh shit, NF is LL320 recommended now? Guess I won't be able to do it then?
Its doable, but you will die. A lot.

Best start with the level 41 POE. It will give you items up to 6 light levels of your current one. It helps

GoaThief

Thorn hate is delicious, it was never really OP - especially now and when it was first on the scene. There was a period in the middle where it became viable in PvP and could finally compete with its contemporaries TLW and Hawkmoon but that's about it.

What's the bet those complaining loudest regarding it are scout/sniper corner camping warlocks? PvP is basically ruined now with the balance being so off with those two classes of weapon. Moving and shooting is a thing of the past. :'(

Namikaze1

Took me till the end of the Rift match to realize we were facing gaffers.

GGs, Clark_Kent.

That Kaos guy on your team was pissing us off though. :p

Thorn hate is delicious, it was never really OP - especially now and when it was first on the scene. There was a period in the middle where it became viable in PvP and could finally compete with its contemporaries TLW and Hawkmoon but that's about it.

What's the bet those complaining loudest regarding it are scout/sniper corner camping warlocks? PvP is basically ruined now with the balance being so off with those two classes of weapon. Moving and shooting is a thing of the past. :'(

I hated thorn and I don't care for sniping either. I prefer garrison Titan and Nightstalker. I sure as hell used it, but I thought it was a trash meta. Then again, this Uni remote l/sniper rubbish isn't much better.

Toddler

My main issue with Thorn really isn't with the weapon itself, but more with the fact that Hawkmoon caught a case for all the havoc that Thorn reeked.

Hawkmoon was easily my favorite exotic before Balancing Gone Wild.

goldensun

Just getting back into this on Xbone. I quit after I couldn't get any groups to finish easy mode raid in TTK... I'm LL298. Anyone on Xbone still playing and willing to play with me / fill me in on stuff? Haven't been on in months.

My GT is g0lden 5un (o is a zero and s is a five)

Frenden

Banned

Hunter and hand cannon guy, here--Thorn is trash for nightmare people. I have no idea where you got the Warlock, scout, camper data from.

Rehsa

Reading about all this RoI info got me like
200w.gif

You must have played a different game than I did during HoW.

Plain and Simple. Thorn was a gun that allowed the average PvPer to compete at a high level.

Oh, for the record, I use Shotguns and don't camp. Instead of needing a crutch to beat snipers I just got better with movement and gun skill.

Top Bottom