• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

People who bought one or both Collector pins, did you open them and use the code, or no?

I did, I also added the pin to my work bag. :)

kD7VPaQ.png

If I recall, it would pop for Skolas but not the lower level ones. Not sure if that's the case anymore. Crota's end with 3 would be pretty easy. I remember early in Destiny on a VoG run everyone grabbing their laptops and making a spur of the moment clan to join right before gatekeepers for that achievement (and the one guy who couldn't figure it out, of course, taking 10 minutes of step-by-step instructions). Good times.
How hard is Skolas nowadays? Can it be 2-manned or soloed?

I want Destiny II to be cross-platform online so badly. It would be an amazing feat for gaming and for the Destiny community. I hope that the delay gives them the opportunity to pull this off. They'd need to build their own infrastructure to support it, but if anybody can do it, Bungie can.

I want Destiny II to be cross-platform online so badly. It would be an amazing feat for gaming and for the Destiny community. I hope that the delay gives them the opportunity to pull this off. They'd need to build their own infrastructure to support it, but if anybody can do it, Bungie can.

They should. But how would that work? You cant add friends cross plat I assume...

...also from all the devs who talked about it, ita on Sonys court to activate the cross platform features

Never gonna happen. Extra money from Sony for exclusives means that PS will always have a bit more content. That alone will cause issues with any cross-platform play.

They should. But how would that work? You cant add friends cross plat I assume...

You can already tie your PSN and XBL accounts into a bungie.net profile— presumably cross-platform between friends could require such a profile.

...also from all the devs who talked about it, ita on Sonys court to activate the cross platform features

I think both Sony and MS are reluctant. IIRC Rocket League devs are trying to make it happen (since there is now PC-PS4 and PC-XB1 cross-platform in that game) but not speaking publicly about it.

I think both Sony and MS are reluctant. IIRC Rocket League devs are trying to make it happen (since there is now PC-PS4 and PC-XB1 cross-platform in that game) but not speaking publicly about it.

Nah, pretty sure MS has already stated that they are fine with cross play and the Rocket League devs backed that statement and said that the ball is "on Sony's court". Don't know what the deal is with Sony.

Nah, pretty sure MS has already stated that they are fine with cross play and the Rocket League devs backed that statement and said that the ball is "on Sony's court". Don't know what the deal is with Sony.

Yup. It was Rocket League and Gwent that stick out, both devs said its up to Sony to flip the switch.

MS is in too weak a position to posture against Sony like that

When Microsoft was number one, they absolutely refused to allow cross-platform play. Pretty sure Sony wanted to play ball. Now that Sony is number, they are the ones refusing cross-platform and Microsoft wants it. There must be some logic behind this.

Deku Tree

When Microsoft was number one, they absolutely refused to allow cross-platform play. Pretty sure Sony wanted to play ball. Now that Sony is number, they are the ones refusing cross-platform and Microsoft wants it. There must be some logic behind this.

Sony allows cross platform FFXI. MS didn't allow it. Not sure where this info that Sony isn against cross platform comes from.

Same shirt found on the Bungie store (when its not sold out).

http://bungiestore.com/collections/apparel/products/iron-lords-t-shirt-men

Ahh thanks for the info. Might get one.

Sony allows cross platform FFXI. MS didn't allow it. Not sure where this info that Sony isn against cross platform comes from.

It's more of how long it been taking to get Rocket League cross play. People are now saying that Sony is against. It doesn't help that it was brought up again with another developer saying it's up to Sony, or something around those lines.

How long ago was that?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rocket-league-dev-can-activate-ps4xbox-one-cross-p/1100-6442025/

Psyonix has said the cross-network functionality that would allow Xbox One and PS4 owners to to play Rocket League together is complete and could be implemented in "a few hours" if Sony approved.

Pc and Xbox cross play is already activated. Sony is the one that doesn't want to/can't do it for now. This is where that info is coming from. Gwent situation is similar afaik.

It's not in Sony's interests to allow cross-platform. If you've got 1 or 2 mates who play on Xbox and can cross-platform with them then they'll never bother buying a PS4. Whereas MS currently need to keep Xbox owners happy. If online communities are shrinking on the Xbox side of things but the PS4 still has higher numbers because of the higher install base people might just jump ship. Allowing cross-platform will potentially stop this.

Lee

The info comes directly from the developers of Rocket League and Gwent and other games I can't think of off the top of my head.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/...hurdle-to-cross-platform-play-developers-say/

"Right now, we're literally at the point where all we need is the go-ahead on the Sony side and we can, in less than a business day, turn [cross-platform play] on and have it up and working, no problem," Jeremy Dunham, vice president of Rocket League developer Psyonix told IGN in a recent interview. "It'd literally take a few hours to propagate throughout the whole world, so really we're just waiting on the permission to do so... It could be tomorrow, it could be longer than that. We just don't know—we're anxiously awaiting that, just like the rest of our fans."

"We are keeping our fingers crossed for Rocket League paving the way," CD Projekt CEO Marcin Iwiński said in a statement issued to IGN. "Our upcoming Gwent: The Witcher Card Game will launch in closed beta for PC and Xbox One later this year, and Microsoft already confirmed Gwent's cross-play feature not only between Xbox One and PC, but also other consoles if they allow it. We also do have a technical solution in place for PS4 and would love to add Sony’s platform to cross-play at the start of open beta. All we need is a green light from Sony."

Nice! I bought them to open and add to my (very) small collection of game related pins, but yeah those eBay prices have me conflicted... I'm not a collector or a scalper though, so I'll probably open them before too long.

WOW @ those prices! I hardly use the emblem that came with it. I stay rocking this bad boy
Y5xcZQw.png

SkylineRKR

It's not in Sony's interests to allow cross-platform. If you've got 1 or 2 mates who play on Xbox and can cross-platform with them then they'll never bother buying a PS4. Whereas MS currently need to keep Xbox owners happy. If online communities are shrinking on the Xbox side of things but the PS4 still has higher numbers because of the higher install base people might just jump ship. Allowing cross-platform will potentially stop this.

MS has nothing to lose, Sony does. I understand why they aren't keen on this.

Lee

WOW @ those prices! I hardly use the emblem that came with it. I stay rocking this bad boy
Y5xcZQw.png

Nice man. Only like 300 or 400 people got those if I recall.

MS has nothing to lose, Sony does. I understand why they aren't keen on this.

Right - Sony's position makes sense, but how many people are really going to switch sides at this point in the game? The Xbox players that Sony won over with the PS4 are already there.

Right - Sony's position makes sense, but how many people are really going to switch sides at this point in the game? The Xbox players that Sony won over with the PS4 are already there.

There is always time to switch. In the 360 / PS3 gen I switched in the final 2 years because of how more and more of my friends were on PS3. I can guarantee that as Destiny goes on the playerbase will shrink quicker after each expansion before jumping back up. There are going to be some players on Xbox who will jump over to PS4 because they will be able to play with more people for longer, more consistently.

WipedOut

Almost my entire xbox group is now on PS4. The xbox is never going to be the same in regards to destiny and the player base is continually going to shrink. I sign on and out of 100+ friends on xbox, who I would say 85% played destiny no one is ever on. I'm usually the only one on.

Almost my entire xbox group is now on PS4. The xbox is never going to be the same in regards to destiny and the player base is continually going to shrink. I sign on and out of 100+ friends on xbox, who I would say 85% played destiny no one is ever on. I'm usually the only one on.

Yeah it is unfortunate. I jumped ship a year ago just because the PS4 Destiny group was so much more readily available.

c263180fd10832bc6f41ef553353f70bbaf672ecb22ad1be953a3c63b7bcde0e.jpg

Yeah it is unfortunate. I jumped ship a year ago just because the PS4 Destiny group was so much more readily available.

And this is why Sony will not give the approval for cross-platform play. Destiny is a huge game and the more people they can pull over from the Xbox side the better their market share becomes. It's a business at the end of the day and they want to sell consoles and software. Letting Xbox play with PS online doesn't encourage that.

Sony have made a lot of very smart business moves this generation and have capitalised massively on MS' early mis-steps.

Destiny 2 could well see the numbers shift even greater. Especially if Sony can sort a deal with Bungie for a way that Xbox characters can be transferred to PS.

Top Bottom