• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

FyreWulff

10 year vision? 10 year engine... :(

Seems likely that Destiny 2 will be a downloadable component for the existing Destiny framework, but I'd almost prefer to see them split off from that and give us a new "base".

They don't even have to use the same base engine, framework, anything. Just as long as the character data can be brought forward it doesn't matter where the client sources itself from.

This isn't the 360 era anymore where game updates had to live inside the game's base runtime and squeeze themselves in with clever re-use of existing code and assets. Bungie can just ship completely new builds out as updates.

And you can do engine upgrades by just using a leapfrog strategy. New build for 2017. refine it in 2018 while team builds up new features for 2019. sustain takes over, engine team works on engine 2021.

tl;dr dont worry, all the benefits of going to a "new disc" can be had with PS4/One updates as well.

Pho was on something last night. He tried to shoulder charge Muten and then Smash me. And we're his team mates.

zxczcxcxc.gif

lol guess there aren't any eye holes in the darkblade helm.

FyreWulff

That wouldn't be good if that means D2 will be limited to 30fps as well.

There's nothing about the process that would prevent a 2017 update from going to 60fps, if they wanted to.

As I pointed out elsewhere, they can send out anything. You could wake up tomorrow and Destiny is now Titanfall 2. You can build anything and just be sure to tag it with Destiny's "title id" and that's what it'll become when people connect to the internet.

Sky Walker

Man. I'm reakly gonna miss vanguard heroic strike modifiers for this week. 2× universal remote + Shadow shot tether and the boss is melted within seconds !

Vanguard heroic strike modifiers are one of the best things ever happened to Destiny since TTK release. They made strikes fun run + worth the farming.

nowai

Details? Got killed by one the other day.

Nothing special about Saterienne. It's a standard 48 impact scout which is a 4 shot headshot.

There is no reason to use the 48 impact archetype in the current meta. Either stick with MIDA or go for the higher 61 impact archetype for a 3 shot headshot.

Axoman

So, the big crucible news tomorrow is probably map voting, right? As much as I want custom/private matches, I think it's too good to be true.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
If anyone is willing to help a noob that haven't played for some time know and is kinda lost in the game, please add me! I'm level 40 Titan, never did raid or anything '-.-
PSN: nortonff

shermas

Just grinded thru the Shaxxfall on my hunter. Got an exotic. It was Hereafter. I already have it. And I forgot to swap my gear back to 335 when I cashed in the bounty, so it rolled out at 320. Feels bad.

But, I ranked up my Crucible rep during the grind! Got a dupe helmet. Feels bad.

And New Monarchy dropped me a class item. Feels bad.

My marks were capped at 200, so I bought a special weapon engram from Rahool. Got a havoc pigeon. Feels bad.

Lee

So, the big crucible news tomorrow is probably map voting, right? As much as I want custom/private matches, I think it's too good to be true.

My expert opinion, ranked by likelihood.

1. Ranked Playlists
  2. Map Voting
  3. Custom Matches
  4. Dedicated Servers

darthbob

What if the servers that they hosted the X360 and PS3 clients on are being repurposed for actual Crucible dedis?

They don't even have to use the same base engine, framework, anything. Just as long as the character data can be brought forward it doesn't matter where the client sources itself from.

This isn't the 360 era anymore where game updates had to live inside the game's base runtime and squeeze themselves in with clever re-use of existing code and assets. Bungie can just ship completely new builds out as updates.

And you can do engine upgrades by just using a leapfrog strategy. New build for 2017. refine it in 2018 while team builds up new features for 2019. sustain takes over, engine team works on engine 2021.

tl;dr dont worry, all the benefits of going to a "new disc" can be had with PS4/One updates as well.

Wondering if this model would allow for variation in game quality settings, like with PS4 and Neo.

Tbh I'd rather there be a select map rotation than map voting because at least with that there is more map variety. With map voting, everyone will just vote for a few select maps and some maps will never be seen. But to be fair that could be a good thing that Memento and Frontier will never be seen.

Lee

What if the servers that they hosted the X360 and PS3 clients on are being repurposed for actual Crucible dedis?

That would be slick, but those servers are still supporting 360 and PS3 players, right? No future updates, but those consoles are still playable?

FyreWulff

Wondering if this model would allow for variation in game quality settings, like with PS4 and Neo.

It's possible. As rumored, Sony has something like the Mac's Universarl Binary where you can just send out the Neo and Base PS4 executables in the same deployment. Or it's just a flag you can check and you branch your code to deal with it.

Kinda like, if you remember, Halo 3 got slowed down by the 360's update that allowed you to install discs because they assumed Halo 3 would always be running from a DVD so it bottlenecked the HDD's SATA bus by copying a file from the HDD to the same HDD, but ODST and Reach are aware of the install function and skip the pointless data copy and just read from themselves on the HDD if they detect that they're installed. Same with Destiny, they'd just make the new build Neo/Scorpio aware, and they don't have to ship new discs or a new title ID to take advantage.

shermas

Tbh I'd rather there be a select map rotation than map voting because at least with that there is more map variety. With map voting, everyone will just vote for a few select maps and some maps will never be seen. But to be fair that could be a good thing that Memento and Frontier will never be seen.

And crossroads (is that the one with the jumpy things in the middle?)... I kind of hate that map.

With map voting, everyone will just vote for a few select maps and some maps will never be seen.

As if thats already not the case. Map rotation these days is literally

Black Shield
Memento
Black Shield
Widows Court
Dungeons
Black Shield
Widows Court
Shores of Time
Shores of Time
Bannerfall
Black Shield

Just grinded thru the Shaxxfall on my hunter. Got an exotic. It was Hereafter. I already have it. And I forgot to swap my gear back to 335 when I cashed in the bounty, so it rolled out at 320. Feels bad.

But, I ranked up my Crucible rep during the grind! Got a dupe helmet. Feels bad.

And New Monarchy dropped me a class item. Feels bad.

My marks were capped at 200, so I bought a special weapon engram from Rahool. Got a havoc pigeon. Feels bad.
lol, you have my sympathies.

so what are you guys expecting with the new cruciable changes incoming?

I noticed a lot of pvpers are complaining about overtime in Trials. Why?

I personally think its great when facing a bunch of asshole snipers that just camp their favorite spots to snipe from. they dont fucking move out of this area and we just camp the capture point until they decide to move on.

Black Shield
Memento
Black Shield
Widows Court
Dungeons
Black Shield
Widows Court
Shores of Time
Shores of Time
Bannerfall
Black Shield

Forgot to add cathedral in there at some point, a map where you spawn in Africa.

Black Shield
Memento
Black Shield
Widows Court
Dungeons
Black Shield
Widows Court
Shores of Time
Shores of Time
Bannerfall
Black Shield
Hey at least Shores of Time is in there, right?

But fair point. I just don't want to get in one of those situations where you have to vote between Memento and Frontier, or Crossroads and Thieves Den.

Pick your poison ;__;

Melchiah

Yep.

It'll be Clash this time around.

For Armor pieces, its Helmets and Chestpieces.
For Weapons, its the Handgun and Shotgun.

Speaking of chestpieces, is there any PVE activity that's guaranteed to deliver a high level legendary? It's the only piece I have, along with shell, that's still below 320. The same question for shells as well.

pikablu

This is the final ps3 iron banner guys! I'm going to be giving my ps3 a sendoff for destiny. Add me on there if you wanna join me. psnid: neomerge.

Melchiah

Xbox has Elite controllers and better netcode. It's still the better experience, but fuck exclusivity.

But if it has to exist, there should be an equal amount of Xbox exclusives. At least we got the TTK CE stuff for free a few weeks ago, even if it was just a bug.

The PS4's player pool is bigger though.

Better netcode? What's the actual difference between the online experiences? Apart from few bugs on Bungie's side, I've had no issues on the PS4.

It's not like there aren't timed 3rd party exclusives on the XBO as well.

EDIT:
Raid? CoE?

Unfortunately, neither has matchmaking, and scheduling sessions with people is problematic.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of chestpieces, is there any PVE activity that's guaranteed to deliver a high level legendary? It's the only piece I have, along with shell, that's still below 320. The same question for shells as well.

Vendor packages will at most drop at 330. So if you need a chest piece, just keep ranking up those. Ghost shells, that would be raid, IB, and I think trials. Getting past 330, then it'll be strictly those activities from that point onward, since the packages won't go any higher than 330.

Your only other option of getting past 330 are exotic engram farming.

darthbob

It's possible. As rumored, Sony has something like the Mac's Universarl Binary where you can just send out the Neo and Base PS4 executables in the same deployment. Or it's just a flag you can check and you branch your code to deal with it.

Kinda like, if you remember, Halo 3 got slowed down by the 360's update that allowed you to install discs because they assumed Halo 3 would always be running from a DVD so it bottlenecked the HDD's SATA bus by copying a file from the HDD to the same HDD, but ODST and Reach are aware of the install function and skip the pointless data copy and just read from themselves on the HDD if they detect that they're installed. Same with Destiny, they'd just make the new build Neo/Scorpio aware, and they don't have to ship new discs or a new title ID to take advantage.

Good to know, hoping Bungie's able to take advantage of the beefier hardware. As long as it's not just a 4K output of Destiny.

Kalamari

Custom games in Destiny would be a huge bonus to the franchise. The game would sell millions, young Bellevue ladies would swipe right whenever they see a Bungie employee, and GAF would never have to play against another random redbar.

Melchiah

Vendor packages will at most drop at 330. So if you need a chest piece, just keep ranking up those. Ghost shells, that would be raid, IB, and I think trials. Getting past 330, then it'll be strictly those activities from that point onward, since the packages won't go any higher than 330.

Your only other option of getting past 330 are exotic engram farming.

Thanks for the info. I've gotten several 325-327 gear recently, but no chestpiece higher than 316 for a long time, and ghost still stands at 318. My overall level is 324. Oddly enough, before reaching 320, it was the leg armor that dragged me down. Now I get those in high levels.

Raid is the only possible place to get a higher level ghost for me then, as I don't do PVP. Dammit.

Thanks for the info. I've gotten several 325-327 gear recently, but no chestpiece higher than 316 for a long time, and ghost still stands at 318. My overall level is 324. Oddly enough, before reaching 320, it was the leg armor that dragged me down. Now I get those in high levels.

Raid is the only possible place to get a higher level ghost for me then, as I don't do PVP. Dammit.

My friend was in a similar situation. He doesn't do PVP. I took him into IB and he sucked it up, but he was still able to get to Level 5.

They are doing chest pieces. You can get them dropped at random at a pretty good rate.

Melchiah

My friend was in a similar situation. He doesn't do PVP. I took him into IB and he sucked it up, but he was still able to get to Level 5.

They are doing chest pieces. You can get them dropped at random at a pretty good rate.

I guess I'll just let it be, if it doesn't come up via ranking up, or exotic engrams. I just have no desire to play PVP, and frankly I find it annoying that a large part of the endgame seems to be on that side.

rezn0r

Challenge of Elders drops up to 335 ghosts. Typically you don't see them drop except for a quick flash when getting back to orbit, but they are there and seemed pretty common to me.

JJShadow

Wow, just won three Rumble games in a row, it feels really good taking into account I'm still level 25 (started playing 3 days ago) and I was matchmaked with level 40-light 335 players :D

EDIT:

Unfortunately, neither has matchmaking, and scheduling sessions with people is problematic.
Yeah, but high-level ghosts drop at the end of CoE pretty frequently. So you can just run through CoE, killing the bosses, and farm that way. You'll build up points as you run, eventually get 90k, and then you can cross your fingers Variks will give you a chest piece.

It's not optimal, but...

AsakuraZ

Hey Destiny GAF, thinking of picking up The Taken King today. Haven't played Destiny in quite some time, I think the last stuff I did was in Expansion I, and maybe touched a little of Expansion II.

Kind of want to jump back in the game to see how things have changed in the last year and to decide if I want to press on once the new expansion comes out next month.

Either way, hoping to find folks willing to run content with or hopefully folks in a similar situation want to try this again and would like to team up.

Top Bottom