• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

Strider

These 334/335 people taking an extra burst to kill
cry.gif

FeelsBadMan lol

Skele7on

Banned
So the raid will be short like Crotas end. Instead of long like Kings Fall.

VoG: 2 bosses
CE: 1 boss
KF: 3 bosses

Hopefully WotM raid has 2 bosses. Sounds like there is no chance it has three. It might only have one given the short dev time of RoI. It would be sad if the only raid boss was already shown in that ViDoC.

I'm making no assumptions this raid will be short.

I'm sure it'll be fairly long, just because they say dialed in from 8 hours.

That doesn't mean it'll be short at all...

Rahvar

So I just returned from hiatus and lack people to play with. I'm European and can play pretty much all evenings CET and basically whenever on weekends. I need the calcified fragments for my year 2 MoT.
I'm Light level 325 but I havn't done any challenge modes or killed Oryx in hard mode.

PSN Thaennon

Edit: No idea when it happened but just noticed that I'm not junior anymore

neoism

Played yesterday on a friends Xbox and people really don't know how to react to a fusion rifle or sidearm. Hilarious.

you know i just dont get FR... with all the shit shottys get and the changes

all a FR is is a shotty that can shoot farther yet no one complains... no changes.
and you basically have to be the other players pixels you have to be so close to one shot with a shotty...
����

Skele7on

Banned

all a FR is is a shotty that can shoot farther yet no one complains... no changes.
and you basically have to be the other players pixels you have to be so close to one shot with a shotty...
����

charge rates vs instant shot.

It has it's draw backs and advantages like any other weapon set.

If you're gonna sit here and be like fusions are OP, I'll laugh as they're not.

They have soooo many counters.

Skele7on

Banned
Making something more casual friendly is rarely a good thing.

i didn't read casual. At all, Bungie wouldn't do that.

Raids should get more complex each time
as players should have progressed through all raids before getting to this one.

I dunno it seems a very anti good news thing to do is include
a raid we've been begging for and make it easy mode... doesn't make sense.

Deku Tree

How many times have you spent 8 hours doing one raid? I can easily tell you how many times I did it.

Trakan

No raid with competent people ever took anywhere near 8 hours. If they catered the raid toward the people where it did take that long, they basically made it more casual friendly.

After the HoW backlash for not having a raid, they're better off throwing a shitty raid like Crota's End in there over not having one at all.

Skele7on

Banned
How many times have you spent 8 hours doing one raid? I can easily tell you how many times I did it.

I don't even want to know how many all nighters I've pulled for raids.

I'll look forward to the friday, if it's under 6 hours before we finish I'll be annoyed

(only if we don't finish first that is)

We won't let Goth win this time, I couldn't deal with that "didn't try" attitude.

No raid with competent people ever took anywhere near 8 hours. If they catered the raid toward the people where it did take that long, they basically made it more casual friendly.

After the HoW backlash for not having a raid, they're better off throwing a shitty raid like Crota's End in there over not having one at all.

I trust in my instincts that this raid will be good. I just have a very good feeling about it.

Making something more casual friendly is rarely a good thing.

What. How you guys get that impression is beyond me. Reminds of the Dark/Demon Souls/Bloodborne cycle of release where the fanbase always goes nuts at one point because they think this is finally going to be the game where the difficulty is dialed down/theres going to be difficulty options. And then the game launches.

Trakan

What. How you guys get that impression is beyond me. Reminds of the Dark/Demon Souls/Bloodborne cycle of release where the fanbase always goes nuts at one point because they think this is finally going to be the game where the difficulty is dialed down/theres going to be difficulty options. And then the game launches.

A good example is what they did to exotics in Y2. Now the game basically just gives them to you through quests or 3oC. They catered toward the people who play a couple hours a week. That's not how I want the game to play.

It'd be exactly like if they made an easy mode for DS. DS3 ironically was the easiest of the series.

I'm not saying the raid is going to be short, or easy, or casual friendly. I'm saying if it was, that'd be a bad thing.

Occam's Razor (Vanguard Weapon)

Each New Day (Crucible Weapon)

Burning Eye (Trials of Osiris Scout [?])

The Unbent Tree (Iron Banner Auto Rifle)

The Lingering Song (Iron Banner Hand Cannon)

Saladin's Vigil (Iron Banner Fusion Rifle)

But Not Forgotten (Iron Banner Sniper Rifle)

The Titanium Orchid (Iron Banner Rocket Launcher)

Winter's End (Iron Banner Shotgun)

A good example is what they did to exotics in Y2. Now the game basically just gives them to you through quests or 3oC. They catered toward the people who play a couple hours a week. That's not how I want the game to play.

It'd be exactly like if they made an easy mode for DS. DS3 ironically was the easiest of the series.

I'm not saying the raid is going to be short, or easy, or casual friendly. I'm saying if it was, that'd be a bad thing.

You want the game to be stingy so that you could possibly not get the cool new y3 exotic that everyone wants until after Destiny 2 launches? 3oC is player friendly, not casual i would say. An argument can be made against them but the vanilla levels of RNG of people not getting a gjallahorn ever is no good either.

And do you really think they would radically change their design approach on raids after every raid they have released being the most praised thing of the game? I doubt it.

I'm pretty sure that Bungie wants their game to appeal to more than just 12-hour/day no-lifers.

Why do you care if someone who plays for a couple hours week has a relatively high chance at getting all the exotics?

It doesn't affect you in the slightest - were you mad when Xur sold Gjallarhorn? Because you "earned" yours?

����

It's the charge rate. Some maps they're pretty unviable altogether, because you'll rarely have time to get a shot off around tight corners. The same goes for really wide open maps. The further the opponent, the higher the chance they're going to move out of your shot, and you only get one chance at it; if you don't land the whole burst, you're usually done. No melee follow up like shotguns
unless you're a Storm caller.

Shotguns are generally just more versatile as either a rushdown weapon or a defensive one, which is why almost everyone's using one. There's no fusion as unfair as the Universal Remote. And they just take more skill to use; you have to set up the shot much more and really control your space.

eggydoo

Playing IB again since forever...wow the drops are so much nicer now. Went from 318 to 324 LL in one night.

Now my question is, what is this IB train consist of that people are talking about?

I'm pretty sure that Bungie wants their game to appeal to more than just 12-hour/day no-lifers.

Why do you care if someone who plays for a couple hours week has a relatively high chance at getting all the exotics?

It doesn't affect you in the slightest - were you mad when Xur sold Gjallarhorn? Because you "earned" yours?

this ^

It's amazing that someone is trashing the Y2 exotic quests. I'm pretty sure 99% of Destiny players enjoyed questing for exclusive exotics.

Trakan

You want the game to be stingy so that you could possibly not get the cool new y3 exotic that everyone wants until after Destiny 2 launches? 3oC is player friendly, not casual i would say. An argument can be made against them but the vanilla levels of RNG of people not getting a gjallahorn ever is no good either.

And do you really think they would radically change their design approach on raids after every raid they have released being the most praised thing of the game? I doubt it.

There needs to be some sort of compromise, sure. The way I described it is how I would prefer it, yes. There is absolutely no excitement from buying an exotic or getting one with 3oC. Not to mention the fact that you can get them all in a couple days if you have enough of them. Exotics should be great weapons that feel special. Right now they're about as common as blues.

I'd be fine with them making some purely RNG, making some bounty related like Y1, and having a few lesser exotics that Xur sells. There should be some he never sells though. This is a game about the loot, I don't want it just handed to me. There's no fun in that.

If it was up to me, Xur wouldn't exist. Or, he wouldn't sell exotics anyway. It's not about having to "earn" it. It's about exotics having value and feeling unique. They should be rare and there should be excitement in getting one.

The game should be catered to people who play the game week in and week out. Not the people who play the expansion for a month, get all the weapons because it's easier to do so now, and stop playing entirely.

Whoa that's crazy talk

Next you're going to get people salty that you have an opinion and accuse you of not playing the game ;)

To be fair, your game would be far too much RNG and the result would be a boring grind. Xur has been an exciting and necessary part of the game since launch, IMO.

Honestly it could work if it was like Diablo 3. There's no direct way to buy specific legendaries in D3, but unlike Destiny, Diablo 3 doesn't feel like a boring grind because there are multiple ways of earning those legendaries without being locked out weekly and because you end up getting so many other legendaries that you can eventually start crafting your own.

What I'm trying to say is that Destiny should have some sort of crafting.

Trakan

To be fair, your game would be far too much RNG and the result would be a boring grind. Xur has been an exciting and necessary part of the game since launch, IMO.

I got most of the exotics just by playing in Y1. Some did take a long time, like Hawkmoon (8 months) because Xur couldn't sell it due to exclusivity. It made the game much more enjoyable knowing there was still stuff out there for me to get. I couldn't just pop a 3oC and play a crucible game and get a free exotic out of it.

shermas

Any xbros want to do a 'speed' run on HM? LFG is brutal these days (people trying to get HM clears before ROI, I think) and I don't want to spend all day banging my head against the wall in the raid.

I'll be playing IB and checking this thread... If you're interested, reply and maybe we can get a group going in the next hour or so.

Deku Tree

Were you around during the Crota's End days? I wouldn't call Crota's End Raid "the most praised thing of the game" in those days. Ask Driz.

shermas

I got most of the exotics just by playing in Y1. Some did take a long time, like Hawkmoon (8 months) because Xur couldn't sell it due to exclusivity. It made the game much more enjoyable knowing there was still stuff out there for me to get. I couldn't just pop a 3oC and play a crucible game and get a free exotic out of it.

Most casuals can't just 'pop a 3oC' and get whatever they want...If you don't play much, strange coins aren't THAT plentiful. You aren't guaranteed an exotic when you use one. The GHorn chase in Y1 was kind of fun, though (only because I finally got one), and it was kind of cool when Xur mattered (nobody really gives a shit what he brings now bc we have everything).

This board is kind of the tip of the Destiny spear, so to speak. Once you have ALL exotics, the game is going to slow down, for sure. Bungie has to have some kind of balance, though, because people would be pissed if there was some UltraHorn RL that required 100 hours of grinding... Not everyone can do that.

The exotic sword quests were a giant pain in the ass - something that required a LOT of time, even for people that play a lot. And I loved grinding away at them and finally getting all three of them. I think quests like that are good for the game and probably take the right amount of time.

I have no idea how to use a sidearm in this game. I shoot people with it, but they seem to shrug off the bullets.

It's like a short-range rapid fire scout rifle. Four headshots or five bodyshots (four with Queen's Choice) for a kill.

Sidearms are garbage IMO. I'm not sure why they exist. No one I can think of uses them especially not with so many quality shotguns and snipers.

They're amazing for use in the air and close range outside of shotgun ranges. I use them all the time and have more kills with them than the three other special types combined.

Because the TTK is faster, they're more effective at shutting down shotgun rushes than primaries.

My current favorite sidearm:

Nice, I have one exactly like that but with arc.
Other two favourites are a similar Havoc Pigeon with feeding frenzy instead of outlaw and an Ironwreath with feeding frenzy, reactive reload, and high calibre rounds.

Trakan

Most casuals can't just 'pop a 3oC' and get whatever they want...If you don't play much, strange coins aren't THAT plentiful. You aren't guaranteed an exotic when you use one. The GHorn chase in Y1 was kind of fun, though (only because I finally got one), and it was kind of cool when Xur mattered (nobody really gives a shit what he brings now bc we have everything).

This board is kind of the tip of the Destiny spear, so to speak. Once you have ALL exotics, the game is going to slow down, for sure. Bungie has to have some kind of balance, though, because people would be pissed if there was some UltraHorn RL that required 100 hours of grinding... Not everyone can do that.

The exotic sword quests were a giant pain in the ass - something that required a LOT of time, even for people that play a lot. And I loved grinding away at them and finally getting all three of them. I think quests like that are good for the game and probably take the right amount of time.

RNG is RNG. You can get that crazy rocket launcher in 10 hours or 100 hours. It's not exclusive to just you or me, it's how it works for everyone.

The sword quests were awful. I didn't like that you had to farm ability kills, that you had to collect materials, that you had to wait until reset for no reason, or that you had to do that shitty version of the Darkblade strike.

I can't relate to anyone who loved doing them.

shermas

RNG is RNG. You can get that crazy rocket launcher in 10 hours or 100 hours. It's not exclusive to just you or me, it's how it works for everyone.

The sword quests were awful. I didn't like that you had to farm ability kills, that you had to collect materials, that you had to wait until reset for no reason, or that you had to do that shitty version of the Darkblade strike.

I can't relate to anyone who loved doing them.

I liked that it took time... It wasn't just RNG. You sort of had to 'earn' them. Farming materials over and over wasn't really 'fun' but it was a mechanic that wasn't "kill boss and cross fingers for RNG drop."

For new page:

Any xbros want to do a 'speed' run on HM? LFG is brutal these days (people trying to get HM clears before ROI, I think) and I don't want to spend all day banging my head against the wall in the raid.

I'll be playing IB and checking this thread... If you're interested, reply and maybe we can get a group going in the next hour or so.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Nice, I have one exactly like that but with arc.
Other two favourites are a similar Havoc Pigeon with feeding frenzy instead of outlaw and an Ironwreath with feeding frenzy, reactive reload, and high calibre rounds.

I've got a Havok Pigeon with Solar burn, Cascade, Surrounded, and Speed Reload. I used to use that one all the time, but switched over to the Jabberhakke when it appeared I was doing a lot better with the Jaber (although the Jabber has slightly lower stats than the Havok).

I'm with you for the most part. Had this same discussion with friends who played Destiny with me. They were for the exotic quests and stuff, i was not.

I mean, i get it, it can suck not getting an exotic for months... But on the flip side, man is it fucking MAGICAL when you finally do. My first Gally drop was an absolutely awesome feeling.

Having specific quests just hand out exotics just seems... lame. Now, if the quest/objective is brutal i'd be more okay with it i think... but i'd still want a nice mix of exclusive items that can only drop randomly, no direct path to get them.

Actually, I think it would be really cool if they did that, but it was something like No Land Beyond that sounds cool while you're chasing it but in actual fact is really weird and takes a good deal of skill to be effective with. A badge of honour exotic that makes for an eccentric loadout.

goldensun

1000% interested.

Know the entire raid very well (except I choke on jumping ships LOL). HM is EZ

My gt is G0lden 5un. I am always down to do Trials, IB, nightfall etc

Lee

Crota's End was fun for quite a while. Also I think the Deathsinger counts as a second boss to some extent. She didn't always melt like butter like she does now. Crota didn't go down in one sword, or even two swords unless Sword Bearer timed it perfectly. You had to deal with the ogres. It was a lot 'more' of an encounter, despite the abyss and bridge being a cake walk.

Also, the fact that there were two exotic drop chances and people were still chasing the Gjallarhorn had a lot to do with it. You didn't get infinite exotic chances with 3oC like you do now.

I really enjoyed Crota's End in its prime. It was great finding a group as a sword runner and hearing that they've been at it for an hour or multiple attempts that week and helping them get it done. Crota's End was great for the Destiny 'hero fantasy' for a long time if you could run the sword. I might have had more fun with that than with Vault of Glass. You could really stand out as a good player and asset for the team in that sense. In Vault of Glass you can do everything perfectly, solo a conflux, get the most oracles, run the relic, lead the way through the maze, win at the jump puzzle, solo the gatekeeper on mars, kill every Oracle on mars side while holding the relic and cleansing, hit a relic super on Atheon on the way to the platform, basically do every job perfectly, and you still don't really stand out in the way you did on Crota's End as a sword bearer. You were fucking center stage.

I get the criticism and that it hasn't held up well, rock band drum solo and all that, but Crota's End was a fun fucking raid for a long time and it feels like noone remembers that.

Trakan

I'm with you for the most part. Had this same discussion with friends who played Destiny with me. They were for the exotic quests and stuff, i was not.

I mean, i get it, it can suck not getting an exotic for months... But on the flip side, man is it fucking MAGICAL when you finally do. My first Gally drop was an absolutely awesome feeling.

Having specific quests just hand out exotics just seems... lame. Now, if the quest/objective is brutal i'd be more okay with it i think... but i'd still want a nice mix of exclusive items that can only drop randomly, no direct path to get them.

Right, I'm fine with like, 1 exotic being exclusive for class quests like we had in TTK, or bounty exotics like Thorn, etc.

I'm not a fan of what Bungie believes is difficulty in this game, so I'd prefer exotics weren't locked behind content like that. The Spindle mission and Fear's Embrace are considered the hardest content in the game but I just find them annoying to play.

I get the criticism and that it hasn't held up well, rock band drum solo and all that, but Crota's End was a fun fucking raid for a long time and it feels like noone remembers that.

I'm as guilty of it as anyone else, but the main reason CE gets shit on is because of the bugs/glitches and because you were underleveled playing it by design. If those things weren't there, it would have been a much more enjoyable experience. There are some shitty design choices in the raid, like having to repeat the wave of adds before Crota every time you wipe, but I think it was largely due to what I mentioned above. It's definitely the weakest raid overall though.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

This complaint was always bullshit to me. All I heard last year from gaf and my group of friends was about how RNG fucked them over constantly. Now people are complaining about RNG and perks but want rerolling back as if it's not a similar solution to 3oC. People don't like RNG upon RNG but when it's fixed it's just a cry to cater to casuals.

Lee

bugs/glitches

Agreed. Those sucked.

you were underleveled playing it by design

I understand it seemed artificially harder because of this, but they could have made everything a yellow bar and achieved the same effect. I don't personally think this was a major flaw, but I remember the community agreeing that it was.

There are some shitty design choices in the raid, like having to repeat the wave of adds before Crota every time you wipe

I think this was necessary to build supers, or else people would be sitting around waiting before every attempt. The four yellow knights made enough orbs for bubbles/bladedancer if the runner used it. It took 30 seconds to clear the room and if you really couldn't survive there were plenty of places to hide.

Not trying to argue too much as it's fucking 15 months in the past. Hopefully the new raid is iron clad as far as bugs/cheese and it sounds like Team Velveeta or whatever Bungie calls their new raid test group has been very good at seeing to that.

FyreWulff

My main criticism of Crota's End was that after it was "optimized" by the community it basically feels like a Strike+. It's a lot less Raid-y than VoG or KF. A lot of this is due to how cheesable it turned out to be.

Fixing VoG's cheese saved it from being too short. King's Fall, taking the lessons of both, is not cheesable in any way that I'm aware, in that you can skip ANY of it's intended encounter designs, and kept it's Raid feel.

One thing I really liked though what it's use of music. The music coming on and building whenever someone grabbed the sword was neat as fuck. I like that they kept it for mini-Crota in the Court.

Ambitious

If I hypothetically were to start playing this game again, what would I have to do in order to catch up before RoI launches? Haven't played since, dunno, December or so. As far as I remember, my characters are at light level ~306. Standard KF gear plus two or three HM pieces. Got all exotics available back then, I think, though not all were at the maximum light level.

Lee

My main criticism of Crota's End was that after it was "optimized" by the community it basically feels like a Strike+. It's a lot less Raid-y than VoG or KF. A lot of this is due to how cheesable it turned out to be.

Fixing VoG's cheese saved it from being too short. King's Fall, taking the lessons of both, is not cheesable in any way that I'm aware, in that you can skip ANY of it's intended encounter designs.

They did much better. It's weird that they let half the team finish the ship puzzle and pull the rest through, when they never let that happen with VoG unless you went to orbit and rejoined. Also the sword blocking cheese for totems, which they fixed, and the kill yourself to skip the maze cheese, but all the boss encounters are solid.

Lee

If I hypothetically were to start playing this game again, what would I have to do in order to catch up before RoI launches? Haven't played since, dunno, December or so. As far as I remember, my characters are at light level ~306. Standard KF gear plus two or three HM pieces. Got all exotics available back then, I think, though not all were at the maximum light level.

Play some Iron Banner to Rank 5 and you'll go up quite a bit. Otherwise you're in a good place to start RoI. I imagine after a day of RoI you'll be at or around 335 if you weren't already, so no real need to grind it out ahead of time.

*Double post - sorry - meant to edit this into the one above.

Trakan

This complaint was always bullshit to me. All I heard last year from gaf and my group of friends was about how RNG fucked them over constantly. Now people are complaining about RNG and perks but want rerolling back as if it's not a similar solution to 3oC. People don't like RNG upon RNG but when it's fixed it's just a cry to cater to casuals.

I get it. I was one of those people at times. I do legitimately think something is up with the RNG in this game though due to how often I'd get the exact same exotic back to back or how I'd get ten of one exotic before one of another. RNG can feel shitty at times.

That being said, I had to experience the Y2 changes before I knew how much I preferred Y1. If it's down to this, I'll take Y1 any day.

I understand it seemed artificially harder because of this, but they could have made everything a yellow bar and achieved the same effect. I don't personally think this was a major flaw, but I remember the community agreeing that it was.

No, not seemed, it was. Being 1 level under an enemy meant you took 33% more damage and dealt 33% less damage to them.

They did much better. It's weird that they let half the team finish the ship puzzle and pull the rest through, when they never let that happen with VoG unless you went to orbit and rejoined. Also the sword blocking cheese for totems, which they fixed, and the kill yourself to skip the maze cheese, but all the boss encounters are solid.

They had a new bug team for KF. (Team Velveeta)

Top Bottom