• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

Were you around during the Crota's End days? I wouldn't call Crota's End Raid "the most praised thing of the game" in those days. Ask Driz.

It was the "best thing" to come out of the TDB expansion no? Which is as low a bar as it gets but still.

CE is more of a strike than a raid anyway.

I've got a Havok Pigeon with Solar burn, Cascade, Surrounded, and Speed Reload. I used to use that one all the time, but switched over to the Jabberhakke when it appeared I was doing a lot better with the Jaber (although the Jabber has slightly lower stats than the Havok).

TTK is faster for all the other Häkke sidearms compared than Havoc Pigeon; latter's higher damage doesn't help it except after damage falloff begins. Don't think I'd use the one I have if not for the two range perks.

shermas

1000% interested.

Know the entire raid very well (except I choke on jumping ships LOL). HM is EZ

My gt is G0lden 5un. I am always down to do Trials, IB, nightfall etc

Sounds good.. My GT is Shermas. Maybe we start around 11 a.m. Pacific time? 30 minutes from now?

akileese

Play some Iron Banner to Rank 5 and you'll go up quite a bit. Otherwise you're in a good place to start RoI. I imagine after a day of RoI you'll be at or around 335 if you weren't already, so no real need to grind it out ahead of time.

*Double post - sorry - meant to edit this into the one above.

FWIW, I was getting absolutely crushed in Iron Banner at 306. I was getting carried through level 42 POE to get better gear and that worked well. You're probably right though. At this point, I'm just enjoying getting back into Destiny. It scratched an itch for me that I've been missing for some time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
TheWorthyEdge said:
Hey Hawkian. Hate to be PMing you on such a sad occasion but I'd like to say a few things as tribute to Drizzay:

When I came back to Destiny in the Summer of '15 after a long 6 month break of the game I had no clue where to start. I was lost. I had a few Gaffers help me out here and there and then the time came. I was ready to venture into the Vault of Glass.

I was on GAF at the time and I found a sherpa that would take a group of us that had never done the VoG before. His name was Drizzay. My group slowly (and I emphasize slowly) adventured down into the abyss as Drizzay showed us the way. We were all in awe, and that awe was elevated by the narration and anecdotes of the man himself. He was personable, he was our savior a couple times xD and more importantly he was a good person who never got frustrated when we screwed up. And we did. A lot.

A couple weeks go by and Namikaze is asking people to try and flawless a HM VoG. I signed up because I thought it would be a good time. Drizzay signed up as well and I was so excited to be back playing with him yet again. My first VoG was with him, and now the Flawless HM was going to be with him. Seemed fitting. It was only my 5th VoG ever so I was terrified because I sure as hell did not want to be the one to screw everything up.

We did it. The greatest achievement and moment in my gaming history. The satisfaction of it all was astounding, and I was so happy Drizzay was there for both moments.

Drizzay is what we call a friend, a gamer, and a legend. He was everything, and he helped with everything. Nothing was about him, it was always helping others and that's what makes a hero a hero, and a legend a legend. Someone who's there for everyone when they need him to be.

Because of Drizzay's passing I'm honoring him by jumping back in. After 6 months I feel now is better than ever to jump back into the fray, and fight the darkness for Drizzay.

RIP Drizzay. Forever a friend, forever a legend, forever a Guardian.
- TheWorthyEdge

thoseAREmySHOES said:
I've always been more of a NeoGAF lurker rather than an avid poster and contributor, especially on the Gaming Community side. I don't have a job with downtime where I can easily keep up with all of the threads I want to. But, from the very beginning, even with how fast the first 35+ Destiny OTs moved, I always managed to keep up, primarily because of the incredibly helpful and inclusive community.

I wanted to specify that, as someone who watched a lot of the Destiny OTs from the sidelines and unfortunately never had the chance to play with Drizz himself, it was almost even more apparent how much of a pillar of the community he was. I felt as though every page either included someone thanking Drizz for his assistance, or at the very least had Drizz setting up a group or volunteering to help someone out. His level of dedication to making DestinyGAF one of the best communities on the site was unparalleled. Whether it was never giving up in getting someone to The Lighthouse, to his countless Skolas runs for Year 1 Moment of Triumphs, to his recent efforts to get as many people Flawless Raider as possible, the man was as close to altruistic as you can feasibly be when it comes to his commitment to helping others. He was the absolute definition of dependable. All of this was entirely apparent just from reading the OTs. I feel like that, alone, is what made him stand out. When someone's presence is so readily felt without even having played with him, there aren't many other words to describe someone other than legendary.

May you rest in peace, Drizz, and know that the thousands of us on NeoGAF, both in the Destiny community and outside of it, will not forget the incredible impact you had on us.

utsavinheaven said:
Prior to house of Wolfe's ,I was mainly a lurker in dgaf and no idea who drizzay was.
My fire team had disbanded and I needed to reach lvl 34 on my hunter and also beat skolos
For y1 not.that is when deathjr introduced me to drizzay,who at the time I thought was also someone looking for y1 not.
He helped me and some other dgaf person thru skolos and guided us with a patience and strong leadership.even after a many mistakes in boss battle against skolas he was cool calm and composed.the win was very important moment in my destiny experience, but little did I know it was one of the few honours I would have running missions with such a legend.
You will be missed a lot.shine among the stars guardian lord.

V1ctim said:
Hi Hawk,

Here is a screenshot of the second time I went flawless in Trials.

JgjTQxp.jpg

Drizz got booted to orbit so me and Inapplicable had to win one round alone. Drizz was annoyed but thrilled to see we pulled through in the 2v3 situation. It was a proud moment for me and it made me feel worthy of the company I was in. He never made me feel like he was "doing a carry". He was instructive and offered loads of constructive criticism that sticks with me to this day. His voice was always soothing and his comments on Gaf were incredibly thoughtful and in depth. I'll miss him an awful lot. Destiny from here on out will never feel the same. I'm glad those of us who are left will try our best to engender the same culture of acceptance, encouragement, and fun that he did.

WipedOut said:
This was our Complete Trials Run and MY only trip to Mercury on PS4 thanks to drizz, Throughout you can hear the patience this guy had. One of a kind man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAHjFWNrHAc

XenoRaven said:
I don't know if I have an amazing story that compares to some of the others on GAF, but I have a recent memory that will probably stick with me forever now.

I, along with several others, are trying to knock out our Moments of Triumph before RoI hits. Part of that is getting Challenge Mode done. Last week was Golgoroth. Drizz had told us he'd help out, but when it came time to go it was obvious he didn't want to. I tried really hard to find anyone to replace him that was experience enough to walk us through the fight, but I couldn't. Drizz bit the bullet and joined us.

I wouldn't considered Drizz and I best friends or anything, but I feel like I know him well enough to know his mood by the tone of his voice. It felt like he would have rather been anywhere else at the time. But not only did he still help us, he maintained a calm, pleasant, and positive demeanor throughout the entire raid.

To me, that's such a strong reflection of what Drizz means to our community. Willing to help even when he didn't really feel up to it. A bastion of patience and positivity regardless of circumstance.

He's someone we should really all strive to be. He leaves a massive hole in this community that no one person can fill. It's up to all of us to learn from his example and carry this community forward in his honor.

I miss you already Drizz.

X-Frame said:
I had trouble deciding which memory of Drizz to choose from, but ultimately I think the most appropriate one is the truest testament to his character and that was him Sherpa'ing me and another random through Skolas, around this time last year, for the Year 1 Moments of Triumph.

After setting up the day and time, I got home to log on and join him only to find out that he was already in Prison of Elders and was solo'ing all the pre-Skolas rounds! I was shocked. Those early rounds of Skolas are boring and long and grindy -- yet he wanted us to avoid that and get right to the good part, and save US the trouble.

We ended up beating Skolas no problem, first try, and I got my loot and emblem and completed my Moments of Triumph, all thanks to him.

Then, he left to meet up with another 2 people who he was taking through Skolas after us. On and on until he ended up clearing it over 100 times for the community before the deadline. Absolutely mind-blowing.

xplicitone said:
I've spent the majority of my year 2 helping the community get flawless, and DrDrizzay101 was the biggest part of that. We made lists and had countless nights helping people get their first ever Flawless, first Year 2 Flawless for the Hic Jaket before it went away on April 12th, 2016, and first Cat Emblem afterwards. We did it on both PS4 and XB1 to encompass the entire DGAF community. We would also do it to help others get more comfortable with PvP and Trials, for those that wanted to improve. The lists would get so long at times that we would then ask if people only cared about the emblem/loot if it would be ok to use their accounts so we could help everyone more efficiently. DrDrizzay101 never hesitated to help in any way, shape or form that can benefit the most people, and he took pure joy in doing so. He was that guy.

I've had many fun nights with him during these sessions, many late nights that I never regretted. He taught me so much during these runs. We'd not only talk about Destiny, but many other games, along with personal subjects and he would always know what to say. He would always join my streams and he'd hype up the chat and it always felt good to have him around. Playing and communicating with him for almost 2 years was something I enjoyed greatly. I considered him one of my closest friends. I miss him so much.

My First Flawless Raid [January 11, 2015]:
Y9hYF6X.jpg

Drizzay's last Trials run / Flawless Trials / Lighthouse visit - August 12, 2016
Ku67GLn.png

--

Still others have offered condolences or thoughts on the passing of this legend.
DGAF_2016-Drizzay_09.jpg

And his stats speak for themselves:
Drizzay_Stat.png

--

A message from JohnOfMars and Hawkian on his legacy and the thread title, which was first mentioned to igordennis by Drizz himself in jest, but has new relevance today...

We have, each of us, only a finite amount of time in this universe. We don't know how long that will be. We can't know how long it will be.

To embrace the not-knowing is to bear this in mind, and rather than allowing it to paralyze you, let this knowledge fill you with a sense of purpose. If any moment may be your last, then even a moment cannot be wasted. Every day is an opportunity to enrich the lives of those around you in whatever way you can. Any way that you can.

As you can see from the stats above, Dr. Drizzay was an exceptional player in every part of Destiny. But Drizz was more than just talented. More than just dedicated. Every minute of every hour of every day he spent in this community, he lived in a way that made it better. Doling out information to those that needed it. Ensuring other people enjoyed themselves. Giving them the best possible chance to succeed. Preventing our little community from getting (too) salty. With boundless patience and true humility he embraced the not-knowing, and simply made our lives better for being a part of his.

Now it's up to us to do the same. If you're here, you're one of us. Answer a call to help with a Nightfall or a story mission. Take an extra moment to hand out some info or a compliment. Jump into a raid when you know you can give the fireteam a shot at coming out victorious. And don't ever be afraid to ask for help, even if you're new. Take every chance you encounter to make any given moment just a little bit better for someone else in this community. You don't have to be a raid master, or a Trials hero, but you can help and be helped.

We cannot replace Dr. Drizzay, but we can carry on his legacy.

All of us are in pain, in mourning. The sadness may only fade with time. But embracing the not-knowing--and the good that come from this community.--that's how the good Doctor will live on in all of us. That's how we make sure his Legend never dies.

Eyes up, Guardians.​

DGAF_2016-Drizzay_05.png

DGAF_2016-Drizzay_06.png

EloquentM

aka Mannny

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There's been a lot of people asking for a newbie KF recently with all the RoI media dumping
Yeah I probably will do a few weeks of KF in a row after this leading up to roi whenever I can squeeze them in. Can't devote the time this Sat. unfortunately.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I couldnt disagree more regarding the 3oC use or abuse as some are suggesting. I have terrible luck with the exotic engram decrypting into stuff i want even though they are fairly consistent nowadays. (5-10 bosses/pvp rounds per engram) The problem is that the engrams still drop duplicates and shit you dont need. i have like 10 Purifier robes and claws of ahamkhara. i barely get any weapon drops as it is and when i do 99% of the time its a duplicate.

i have put in nearly 600 hours into this game and i am still missing Universal Remote and Jade Rabbit from year 2 and a bunch of other year 1 weapons. i have received over 10 hawkmoons and the last words so its pretty obvious that the loot table is a bit skewed in favor of those weapons.

i only just received Plan C and Red Death after spending over 250 hours in TTK across three characters. I also loved how community driven the exotic quests were back in September and early october. loved going back to VoG just to get a weapon. Good stuff.

Shaxxfall... Got Eyasluna

Sure shot/QuickDraw
Outlaw
Snapshot/reinforced barrel
3rd eye

Keeper?
I'm personally a really big fan of outlaw+third eye for PvP. See my earlier post about my Red Hand IX roll!

The only thing better that you could've possibly gotten from Shaxx is Kingspyre :)

If you had to choose: RNG or grind?

I got my Gjallarhorn from a Nightfall. Pure exhilaration. But still RNG.

Getting the exotic swords was a lot of work but worth the time. Grind.

Touch of Malice was another good grind.

Both styles of reward require time but I feel like the grind always pays off.

RNG can be exciting but frustrating enough to turn people off the game.

If you had to choose: RNG or grind?

I got my Gjallarhorn from a Nightfall. Pure exhilaration. But still RNG.

Getting the exotic swords was a lot of work but worth the time. Grind.

Touch of Malice was another good grind.

Both styles of reward require time but I feel like the grind always pays off.

RNG can be exciting but frustrating enough to turn people off the game.
They are both fine. What's not fine is things like the cryptarch decrypting purples into blues, which has since been fixed. More recently, though, is the struggle of trying to collect a full set of Spektar faction armor and getting class items or shit roll guns over and over instead. There are some major areas of the game where the "smart loot" system isn't nearly smart enough.

Yeah, happened 3 times
Sounds like a possible network thing. I would've gone to orbit and picked a new host.

K.Sabot

despite buying the physical copy of the taken king, i've been greeted to a 20 gigabyte update.

i should have expected this lol, guess i'm not playing until tomorrow.

They are both fine. What's not fine is things like the cryptarch decrypting purples into blues, which has since been fixed. More recently, though, is the struggle of trying to collect a full set of Spektar faction armor and getting class items or shit roll guns over and over instead. There are some major areas of the game where the "smart loot" system isn't nearly smart enough.

what is spektar faction

I haven't cashed in any faction packages in over a month, I was hoping to stack them. Do they stack? Should I save them, or just edge them come the 20th?

Im talking Cryptarch
Crucible
Gunsmith
Dead Orbit etc..........................................

I haven't cashed in any faction packages in over a month, I was hoping to stack them. Do they stack? Should I save them, or just edge them come the 20th?

Im talking Cryptarch
Crucible
Gunsmith
They don't stack, you should just edge them.

Tjamato88

Im talking Cryptarch
Crucible
Gunsmith

What's the difference in the two?

K.Sabot

Yeah, the disk is just vanilla Destiny.

Well that's fine I guess, just gonna play some Monster Hunter until this is done.

Gotta say, pretty excited to play. Only played the Alpha way back when, the game itself was very fun, but the reactions to vanilla destiny launch and its lack of content really put me off. So in a sense I'm glad I waited, gonna have a huge game to pick through now.

Clunker

Hi again folks - you may remember me from sheepishly asking for some PS3 help a few pages back. It turns out that Destiny's nudged my hand into going next-gen, though in an odd twist of fate, I'm actually going over to Xbox One due to a number of other factors.

So I'm in, baby! But I'll be starting fresh, which kind of sucks but I actually really like the slow build up to power. So in this regard, I think these are my options:

1) Digitally preorder Destiny: The Collection. This should let me play all TTK now and then play RoI when it launches, right? Just checking.

2) Buy a $20 copy of physical TTK (on sale at TRU now), then preorder RoI for $30, which saves me $10 but leaves me with a physical Destiny disc.

Am I missing another option? Might just go digital to save me the hassle of switching discs.

Kalamari

Trespass or whatever that new sidearm is called, looks meh, like a short range pulse rifle. Hard to judge the maps without adequate play time, they do look pretty though.

stay gold

Seems the new Dead Orbit shotty is Matador 64 archetype according to some people on Reddit. And it can also roll Quickdraw & a range perk in different columns :D Thats a damn good way to address the imbalance between Y1 & Y2 shotguns.

Hi again folks - you may remember me from sheepishly asking for some PS3 help a few pages back. It turns out that Destiny's nudged my hand into going next-gen, though in an odd twist of fate, I'm actually going over to Xbox One due to a number of other factors.

So I'm in, baby! But I'll be starting fresh, which kind of sucks but I actually really like the slow build up to power. So in this regard, I think these are my options:

1) Digitally preorder Destiny: The Collection. This should let me play all TTK now and then play RoI when it launches, right? Just checking.

2) Buy a $20 copy of physical TTK (on sale at TRU now), then preorder RoI for $30, which saves me $10 but leaves me with a physical Destiny disc.

Am I missing another option? Might just go digital to save me the hassle of switching discs.

The Collection is your best bet, I think you’ll regret the physical disc pretty fast unless it’s the only game you plan on playing. Plus if you change your mind later there's no easy way to only buy Vanilla digitally and you're forced to rebuy content. If you need help building your new character on Xbox, feel free to add me, always lookin for new Xbros. GT: ThingontheFloor

Hmm since customs got announced I don't know if I should get cod4r or rise of iron hmm. Its still 30 fps, but I feel like I should get practiced for Destiny 2.

NastyBook

Forgot to mention that I did the thing Lamonster was talking about, and it worked. Had to delete the game data and redownload it, but I did that overnight, so it was all digital everything the next the day. Now I can put the Witcher 3 back in and get back to leveling up my character up JUST to go to Toussaint.

Rehsa

Forgot to mention that I did the thing Lamonster was talking about, and it worked. Had to delete the game data and redownload it, but I did that overnight, so it was all digital everything the next the day. Now I can put the Witcher 3 back in and get back to leveling up my character up JUST to go to Toussaint.
Did the same, feels good man.

Top Bottom