• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

Last run of the night, was looking to do one more thing before sleep...tackled that hard mode Undying Mind story quest that I hadn't been able to beat before. It was a brutal fight but I managed it solo (that Harrowed Midha's Reckoning I got on that King's Fall run was a big help against minotaurs and the Mind itself, thanks guys).

Got a legendary engram that turned out to be an exotic aaand....MIDA! Finally, after maining scout rifles for hundreds of hours! After being pegged by them a billion times in the crucible! I finally feel like now I'm a real boy.

disney-to-make-pinocchio-a-real-boy1.jpg

...but I'm going to bed.

Rehsa

Good, that's 10 over here. I will be settled in by then.

If you're down for 10 p.m. EST tonight, it'll be you, me, and GustyGardens.

PSN: GibbShift

Alright I may be able to pull that off but may be on my Vita to start. Got you on my friends list already PSN is Moridhin

Finished up my Moments earlier with Balwur. That's a relief. I still have umpteen quests on my warlock and hunter to do but I think I might just leave them I'll have a steady influx of content soon anyway with other games.

Jinjo

Just wanted to post one last time in Doc's last thread. I'm going to try and be a little kinder, and a bit more patient like our good friend. I'm thankful for all of you that contribute here, and for the bonds of friendship we've been able to form through what was just supposed to be some dumb video game.

Be good to one another. See you in #42. It's going to be special.

Tomorrow from 11 to 1 I'll be thinking of you all. I know we've never met, but you're my friends. I am thankful for you guys.

DGAF is Drizz-GAF

He indeed embodied DGAF, the sheer amount of stories from all the different people that played with him is a testament to this. So, in all this, there is only one 'goal' I set myself, and that is that I just want to play even more Destiny with all the amazing people from Drizz-GAF.

I'll be prepping for ROI the coming few weeks, hit me up on PSN if you see me (that goes for everyone here). I will definitely see you all again when the Iron Lords Rise again.

For Drizzay.

Good, that's 10 over here. I will be settled in by then.

If you're down for 10 p.m. EST tonight, it'll be you, me, and GustyGardens.

PSN: GibbShift

Sounds good. We shouldn't have too much trouble with the bosses; they're pretty straight-forward. The only one that's a bit of a hassle is Val Aru'un, the Cabal dude, and that's mostly because we have to deal with those flayers.

Jinjo

Which is why they should just include matchmaking already. Having to LFG with randoms is basically the same thing, only we're the ones doing all the work.

Enable matchmaking for a certain difficulty as soon as you cleared the raid on that difficulty. Voila.

Strider

Most people that really want matchmaking are those that have never done the raid...

So in the end that really doesn't solve all that much.

Jinjo

Most people that really want matchmaking are those that have never done the raid...

So in the end that really doesn't solve all that much.

It's a middle-road. It makes subsequent grouping a lot easier for solo players, or even for teams that miss like a 6th member (how often have we been there, even on GAF). Having cleared the raid before atleast ensures players have seen the encounter before and understand it on a basic level.

Activision: "You're fired."

You misspelled an h into an f there. :p

On a serious note: Why would I get fired for that idea though?

Nudull

Banned
So, I think I want to try my hand at a Hunter sniping build, since I really enjoyed doing sniping on Overwatch. Hopefully it won't be too difficult. :p

Just getting through the introductory parts, now.

Trakan

I'm sure their philosophy is not letting certain people ruin the experience for others. A couple months ago I was doing the Restorative Mind strike with a friend and a random. At the boss, the random grabbed the orb that you need to put into the block to start the boss fight and just sat there with it using laugh emotes for at least ten minutes.

There was nothing we could do but wait. Imagine that in a raid setting.

Lee

It's not about implementation, similar systems exist. It's that Bungies philosophy is strictly anti-matchmaking for raids. Why? Who knows.

They touched on that again in the most recent GI post:

When you guys first started developing raids for the first time, philosophically were there things that set a raid apart from the rest of the content in Destiny that you’re like ‘Okay this is what makes something a raid as opposed to a strike?’

Absolutely, there was a mandate that we had the ability to break the rules. No matchmaking is a huge thing. We can design with the assumption that you're playing with people who you are invested with. Even if they’re not your friends, you've put some amount of investment in being able to play with them and they’re not this resource to you. The fact that we can account for you having voice communication is big.

As compared to a strike?

Yeah, in a strike we have to assume that maybe you’re probably not talking to each other. The ability to assume that they have verbal communication opens up a lot of possibilities that otherwise don’t exist. We can put you in a crisis as a group which is a very different thing than just people who aren't talking to each other who have to somehow work together. We can't put a great deal of pressure on them, and we’re specifically supposed to put you under pressure. It’s a group of people in a crisis, that’s what we’re putting you in, and you have to solve your way out of it.

FyreWulff

I'm sure their philosophy is not letting certain people ruin the experience for others. A couple months ago I was doing the Restorative Mind strike with a friend and a random. At the boss, the random grabbed the orb that you need to put into the block to start the boss fight and just sat there with it using laugh emotes for at least ten minutes.

There was nothing we could do but wait. Imagine that in a raid setting.

This. People that want raid matchmaking should play Restorative Mind from the director and report back how many times you actually finish the strike with the fireteam you started it with.

It has raid-lite mechanics and that's enough to have people troll it or ragequit out constantly.

Jinjo

Bungie should hire you.

I actually did lose my job a month ago, so I'm free lol. Although I don't think my field of expertise fits a gaming company haha.

My idea is free, just like to see this great game improve however possible.

Not that I'd decline anything if they feel so inclined. :p

I'd be down with matchmaking if there was some way to make sure you had a mic. I feel it's a fair thing to ask of someone considering how the raids in this game are built.

They touched on that again in the most recent GI post:

This. People that want raid matchmaking should play Restorative Mind from the director and report back how many times you actually finish the strike with the fireteam you started it with.

It has raid-lite mechanics and that's enough to have people troll it or ragequit out constantly.

Seems like a console thing :l Even in the raid LFG stuff of WoW people can type to communicate. Since communication isn't mandatory nor is it a basic feature of a console game(In this case, messaging is clumsy, so it's not a valid alternative), and there is no messaging in game aside from voice communications.

if it was on PC, I can imagine that having a field to type to communicate would lead Bungie to implement matchmaking, since atleast then you can give people roles. But when it comes to consoles, where voice communication is the only thing to allow people to communicate directly(In a non-clumsy way)..

...Then it's the consoles fault for no raid matchmaking. As a player, and as Bungie, you can't assume that the people matched together will have mics.

Jinjo

You can't counter quitters or toxic people, that happens with LFG as well. In case of someone trolling like that by hogging an encounter you can always agree to back out with the rest and restart the encounter. The raid has checkpoints afterall. Perhaps a vote to kick system, or if there is a majority fireteam have their fireteam leader be leader for the entire group. It's pretty much LFG, but then automatically. As EL CUCO said, with LFG we're just the ones doing the work.

Honestly? I don't mind that there's not matchmaking in the raid. Sure, I'd be more inclined to try them out if it was featured, but it's not a big deal. The matchmaking issue comes from some of the parts of the game. Let me find other matchmake into story missions and other parts of the Prison of Elders.

One of the things that The Division does right is allow for matchmaking in almost every aspect of the game.

TheFlow

Banned
matchmaking is not hurting people who want to still search for raid/nightfall teams.

It is one of those things that benefits people who want it, and does nothing to harm the people who don't care for it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
matchmaking is not hurting people who want to still search for raid/nightfall teams.

It is one of those things that benefits people who want it, and does nothing to harm the people who don't care for it.

Agreed. One of the biggest gripes I had with the game at release. Allow matchmaking for all content after you've cleared it once or twice or something. Like, prove to the game you know what you're doing and THEN allow matchmaking. Seems like a fair way to do it. I understand some fights like the last boss of VoG would be extra hard to coordinate, but that's an added challenge of LFG? Or implement a way to handle "flagging" for various roles or something?

Kalamari

Bungie has a habit of ignoring the needs of their fans, it's why all of the outside thigs popped up such as Destiny Item Manager, LFG, etc. It's like the wife that has to ask the next door neighbor to mow the lawn because her husband is too lazy.

It's the same with custom games, people were having to bypass the random matchmaking system by queuing up simultaneously. I wonder what the dumb reason was for holding back custom games from being implemented.

By the way, Christopher Barrett (game director for RoI) is a god for putting in custom games. Even though it probably easy for Bungie to implement, imagine all of the anti-custom game bullshit he probably had to go through to get what he wanted, the guy must have balls of steel. He must be like the game dev equivalent of George S. Patton.

Bungie had to have known that people would want to play custom games when they designed Destiny, why didn't they implement it earlier? Custom games were always a part of their Halo games, why not Destiny?

Someone really should tweet this to Deej.
Luke talked about "attunements" a long time ago and why he doesn't think it fits Destiny. It's not happening

So, I think I want to try mt hand at a Hunter sniping build, since I really enjoyed doing sniping on Overwatch. Hopefully it won't be too difficult. :p

Just getting through the introductory parts, now.
Welcome! There's a lot to learn about Destiny. Asking random Q's here works, or you can google stuff and usually you're gonna find the best answer in the Reddit links (versus gamefaq forums, bungie forums etc).

One random piece of general advice I have for not wasting time in this game is to only fight the enemies you need to or want to fight. Lots of baddies can be skipped, just pay attention to your white objective marker.

Add me since you're on X1: The Lamonster

btw I love Overwatch. Both games are polished as hell.

It definitely needs matchmaking for Nightfall.

For Raids..? I would agree. With restrictions, IE having to complete normal mode 10 times or something. It's just that there's timing/roles needed for SOME fights. Personally, I believe matchmaking would work, but there is no typing in Destiny to assign something simple like 'Orb holder'.

Top Bottom